ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 21st May 2020, 11:04 PM   #2521
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
As a past public servant I’m extremely dubious that this was not immediately picked up. There was modelling done without doubt to predict the uptake of Jobkeeper. I’m convinced that a senior bureaucrat pointed this error out to a Minister who said “let it run”.

Don’t forget, not every conspiracy is imaginary.....

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2020, 11:16 PM   #2522
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As a past public servant I’m extremely dubious that this was not immediately picked up. There was modelling done without doubt to predict the uptake of Jobkeeper. I’m convinced that a senior bureaucrat pointed this error out to a Minister who said “let it run”.

Don’t forget, not every conspiracy is imaginary.....
There have been some amusing reactions on Twitter:

Originally Posted by Lucy Carter (@lucethoughts)
BREAKING: Journalists stoked to learn they are no longer the worst at maths.
Originally Posted by David Smith (@dtsmith_sydney)
All I can think about is what it must have been like in the office when someone discovered the $60 billion mistake, and the resulting conversation about who was going to tell everyone.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:54 AM   #2523
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

There have been some amusing reactions on Twitter:
I saw Frydenberg trying to explain away the mistake. Pathetic. He’s even makes Albanese look good. His comment “you could see this from outer space” is a credit to his Press Secretary.

Again, it is beyond belief that this wasn’t immediately picked up and communicated up the line. “Okay, 1500 people employed by **** Creek Milk Bar, yeah that’s okay”.

I understand bureaucrats. They are not stupid. These things were discovered, reported and covered up.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:11 PM   #2524
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I saw Frydenberg trying to explain away the mistake. Pathetic. He’s even makes Albanese look good. His comment “you could see this from outer space” is a credit to his Press Secretary.

Again, it is beyond belief that this wasn’t immediately picked up and communicated up the line. “Okay, 1500 people employed by **** Creek Milk Bar, yeah that’s okay”.

I understand bureaucrats. They are not stupid. These things were discovered, reported and covered up.
Should have been worked out even before the policy was announced. They should have said that so many workers (via their employers) will apply and then when even more applied then questions should have been asked. Then the error found within a few days as per lionking's example.
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:24 PM   #2525
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting how some of the media are reporting this as a $60 billion "windfall".
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:30 PM   #2526
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Interesting how some of the media are reporting this as a $60 billion "windfall".
That is because Josh Frydenberg initially attempted to claim that the reason for this "windfall" was not a clerical error, but
"that the economy was doing better than Treasury initially estimated and as a result, fewer people were signing up for JobKeeper."

So embarrassment.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:02 PM   #2527
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
That is because Josh Frydenberg initially attempted to claim that the reason for this "windfall" was not a clerical error, but
"that the economy was doing better than Treasury initially estimated and as a result, fewer people were signing up for JobKeeper."

So embarrassment.
Another take from Trump's playbook. Never admit an error, simply lie.

In this case, though, it's a lie that can be seen from space.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:21 PM   #2528
EHocking
Philosopher

Another take from Trump's playbook. Never admit an error, simply lie.

In this case, though, it's a lie that can be seen from space.
and It was a great lie, a beautiful lie, we have the best lies, but, I think there's blame on both sides, you look at both sides, I think there's blame on both sides, and I have no doubt about it, and you don't have any doubt about it either.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:38 PM   #2529
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Re: the $15,000 answer instead of 1 employee being the point of contention, what was the actual question asked on the form?

I would have thought to ask:

1. How many employees do you require to be on Jobcare? (or whatever it is called)

and

2. Total $ amount requested?

No employer should get that wrong, and no Gov. agency should need glowing neon signs to find errors in this double question/answer when looking at the data.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 22nd May 2020 at 10:39 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 12:58 PM   #2530
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Re: the $15,000 answer instead of 1 employee being the point of contention, what was the actual question asked on the form?

1. How many employees do you require to be on Jobcare? (or whatever it is called)

and

No employer should get that wrong, and no Gov. agency should need glowing neon signs to find errors in this double question/answer when looking at the data.

Norm
Indeed. One report I read said that 10% of employers got that question wrong, but the issue is that in doing so most were overstating their staff by 100s of times.

The possibility that this wasn’t immediately picked up and remedied should see heads roll, up to and including the Treasurer.

As I said earlier I have no doubt this was immediately picked up and someone up the food chain said “no leave it. This will show how much the government is doing and if it’s picked up we’ll blame stupid employers”. This is the only scenario that makes sense to me.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th May 2020, 02:06 PM   #2531
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Indeed. One report I read said that 10% of employers got that question wrong, but the issue is that in doing so most were overstating their staff by 100s of times.

The possibility that this wasn’t immediately picked up and remedied should see heads roll, up to and including the Treasurer.

As I said earlier I have no doubt this was immediately picked up and someone up the food chain said “no leave it. This will show how much the government is doing and if it’s picked up we’ll blame stupid employers”. This is the only scenario that makes sense to me.
You would hope so, but... Let me introduce you to the concept of "a jobsworth". The Australian Public Services, as with many around the world, is filled to the brim with these.

Right now, with a job and a decent income being a precious thing to have, any rocking of the boat by a lower-grade staffer would put that immediately in jeopardy. Trying to tell the Treasurer, one of the senior ministers of the Federal Government, that his form about a controversial policy has been a might goof-up could lead to blame being cast downwards...on the message-bearer particularly. Can't have that!

So if it was even noticed at all as being "wrong", nobody was actually going to tell anybody...let the big boss get the big bucks for taking that responsibility.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 12:07 AM   #2532
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There was an actual screenshot of the question on the daily blog but it doesn't seem to appear in the full article I linked to.

This was the question, in pretty much these words.

and

This was not asked at all from what I recall of the screenshot.

Yeah. I find it difficult to believe so many employers could mess up answering one simple, very clear question. How many people?

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 12:12 AM   #2533
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ah, here it is.

Seriously. How can you mess that up?

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th May 2020, 12:19 AM   #2534
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ah, here it is.

https://i.imgur.com/JgoWIYA.jpg

Seriously. How can you mess that up?
Deliberately. Just put in a big number and hope nobody notices when you multiply it by $1500 per.

Oh look. They didn't.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 25th May 2020 at 12:20 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 11:45 PM   #2535
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh for...

Public servant alleging ministerial corruption told speaking to media could be unlawful

Quote:
Advice was given that a generic online form should be used to contact PM’s office, highlighting flaws in corruption reporting regime

A public servant claiming to have evidence of ministerial corruption was warned speaking to journalists may be unlawful and later directed to use a generic online form for contacting the prime minister, leaked correspondence shows.

The emails between an anonymous public servant and the Australian Public Sector Commission again highlight fundamental flaws in Australia’s corruption reporting regime.

The system makes it near-impossible for public servants to lawfully speak publicly about alleged corruption, and instead works to funnel their complaints internally through their departmental or ministerial superiors.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #2536
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Every department needs an area that looks at complaints about the department. It does not matter if the person is internal or external to the department. This area needs several methods of contacting them. This area should act as a deterrent to any bad behaviour. And it should be seen to be working.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM   #2537
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Every department needs an area that looks at complaints about the department. It does not matter if the person is internal or external to the department. This area needs several methods of contacting them. This area should act as a deterrent to any bad behaviour. And it should be seen to be working.
How is anyone supposed to run a racket in those conditions?
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics