ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th January 2005, 12:49 AM   #1
shecky
Master Poster

Prohibition of Public Display of Crosses at Inauguration Parade

Christians persecuted in Jesusland! By Jesus' own boy!
http://www.earnedmedia.org/cdc5.htm

Quote:
The Secret Service issued this prohibition in a December 17th, 2004 letter sent to the National Park Service and included it in an approved demonstration permit application sent to the Christian Defense Coalition on December 23rd.

The group calls the banning of the crosses, at the Inauguration, rank religious discrimination and censorship in its worst form.
Govt. also persecuting bicyclists, puppets, dead people. Sad, sad, sad....

http://www.earnedmedia.org/permit.htm

Quote:
Additionally, the prohibition on structures includes props, folding chairs, bicycles, displays such as puppets, papier mache objects, coffins, crates, crosses, theaters, cages, and statues.
shecky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2005, 01:27 AM   #2
SezMe
post-pre-born

It does seem incredibly silly, but I think religious discrimination is the least of the silliness.

Here are some banned items (my commentary in bold)

- "Weapons of any kind" Given box cutters on 9/11 what isn't a weapon ?

- "Supports for signs and placards" (as these items may be used as a means of concealing weapons or as weapons themselves.) Falls in the same category as ANYTHING can be a potential weapon

- "Packages" Yep, that is what it says. Does this mean that George II's "package" as displayed when he declared the end of combat cannot be in the parade?

- "Thermal or glass containers" Hey, no Pepsi at this parade

- "Animals other than helper/guide dogs" You bring a parakeet, you're gonna do serious time

-"Structures (includes props, folding chairs, bicycles, displays such as puppets, papier [sic] mache objects, coffins, crates, crosses, theaters, cages and statues" I think the "folding chairs" is in reaction the recent NBA brawl. No "statues" eh? I sure hope none of them "good ol' southern boys" don't come up north with their dashboard plastic jesus

- "Any other items determined to be a potential safety hazard" Do you suppose a melted chees sandwich with an image of Mary could be considered hazardous

Look, I don't want to be in the position of supporting those poor, persecuted Christians, but this is just plain silly (at best) or evidence of mind control ala 1984 (at worst).
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2005, 02:18 AM   #3
Zep
Banned

Nah. Let them roll with it. Get used to life in the new, improved Jesusland while its new boss gets his tin star pinned on again. Anyway, it's supposed to be a presidential inauguration, not some Texas BBQ / picnic / protest / KKK rally, isn't it? That's seriously serious, isn't it? Get squared away, young man! And get a hair-cut while your at it.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2005, 03:04 AM   #4
swstephe
Thinker

not allowed!?!

Quote:
"Structures (includes props, folding chairs, bicycles, displays such as puppets, papier [sic] mache objects, coffins, crates, crosses, theaters, cages and statues"
I heard that the inauguration opens the gates of heaven which could snuff out the existence of the universe through some kind of loophole ...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics