ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2018, 08:21 AM   #361
DallasDad
Muse

Long ago, when I hosted email and web services, I frequently got emails from customers saying only, "I can't send mail."

Digging into the situation usually revealed that the target domain was blacklisted, or that the customer had mistyped the target email address.

But I could never get over why they would send an email to tell us they couldn't send email. Isn't that like calling the operator to say your phone is disconnected?
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 08:25 AM   #362
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think a lot of users have this mistaken view that the "Computer guys" can see everything they are doing "behind the scenes" as it were and think detailing what the issue is isn't necessary.

If you're in the business I bet you've experienced this if you really step back and think about, when a customer responds to your request for more information with some variation on "Can't you tell from where you are at?"

Even beyond legal requires, as in at even normal jobs (to say nothing of the medical environment I support now and the government environment I supported before) you can't just go in and randomly look at user's files and accounts willy-nilly, on tech level we can't see what the user is "doing" to the degree or in the way a lot of users seem to think.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 08:52 AM   #363
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think a lot of users have this mistaken view that the "Computer guys" can see everything they are doing "behind the scenes" as it were and think detailing what the issue is isn't necessary.

If you're in the business I bet you've experienced this if you really step back and think about, when a customer responds to your request for more information with some variation on "Can't you tell from where you are at?"

Even beyond legal requires, as in at even normal jobs (to say nothing of the medical environment I support now and the government environment I supported before) you can't just go in and randomly look at user's files and accounts willy-nilly, on tech level we can't see what the user is "doing" to the degree or in the way a lot of users seem to think.
I worked at a small firm where people were convinced of the opposite.

I walked in to talk to the manning partner about something and he was obviously distracted. I offered to come back later and he said no, he is just momentarily confused. You see he just gave a very important, somewhat small, but very time sensitive task to a admin person and asked that they send it back to him ASAP, after explaining how important and time sensitive it was. Now, he was watching their desktop as they shop online and he can't even figure out what they are shopping for. It is more like they are just randomly browsing.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 03:18 PM   #364
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I had a call just the other day like that. Someone thought that I could just see everything in their mailbox. Hello, privacy?
Old 30th November 2018, 08:27 AM   #365
Faydra
sinning sybarite

And then there are those times when you yourself do something so stupid and end up making a fool out of yourself.

Like just now - I saw there was a global issue effecting all our ETW (extended temporary workers) that disabled thier logins.

All my operations team are ETW's, so I sent an email to their distribution list asking if it was affecting them.

Which they'll never get, if it is affecting them.

DOH!
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 08:31 AM   #366
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Commanding Officer of my last ship asked me to set up a "Restricted Internet" category in the ISA server so during periods of low connectivity (like when we had limited satellite access and were reduced to low bandwidth operations which was pretty common out to sea) we could maintain access to banks, educational sites, and official military sites but just keep people off of Facebook and ESPN and stuff.

So I made an ISA rule for .mil, .edu, .org and the top 20 or so banks/credit unions that showed up in our bandwidth report (and sent out an e-mail to everyone saying if they couldn't get on their particular bank or other site they felt was legit to let me know and I'd look into it). Few days later we went into low bandwidth and the Captain asked me to enable it.

I had done it backwards, as a black list instead of a white list. So people could get to ever site except important ones.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th November 2018 at 08:33 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2018, 03:06 PM   #367
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
And then there are those times when you yourself do something so stupid and end up making a fool out of yourself.

Like just now - I saw there was a global issue effecting all our ETW (extended temporary workers) that disabled thier logins.

All my operations team are ETW's, so I sent an email to their distribution list asking if it was affecting them.

Which they'll never get, if it is affecting them.

DOH!
I was in a group that was leaving a firm and noticed that I had stopped receiving emails from some of the groups that sent out regular emails. I checked Groups in Outlook and noticed I had been removed from all my prior groups and added to the group Toast. I sent an email to that group assuming it was just the folks I was leaving with.

Bad assumption, it included everyone who had given notice or who were about to be fired. Very awkward responses followed. I actually thought my boss was going to fire me from the job I hadn't even started yet. Actually, he was just mad about swallowing his chewing tobacco while laughing.

The Commanding Officer of my last ship asked me to set up a "Restricted Internet" category in the ISA server so during periods of low connectivity (like when we had limited satellite access and were reduced to low bandwidth operations which was pretty common out to sea) we could maintain access to banks, educational sites, and official military sites but just keep people off of Facebook and ESPN and stuff.

So I made an ISA rule for .mil, .edu, .org and the top 20 or so banks/credit unions that showed up in our bandwidth report (and sent out an e-mail to everyone saying if they couldn't get on their particular bank or other site they felt was legit to let me know and I'd look into it). Few days later we went into low bandwidth and the Captain asked me to enable it.

I had done it backwards, as a black list instead of a white list. So people could get to ever site except important ones.
I almost swallowed my chewing tobacco, you jerk!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 03:53 PM   #368
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I really do love it when people call purely out of curiosity.

I just took a call from someone who asked me "What is Sync Centre?" He'd just seen it and was curious as to what it was all about. I was able to give him a very quick and simple explanation about how the enterprise was being updated to use more cloud services and what it meant to synchronise data from the cloud. It was only a very quick and non-technical explanation, but it satisfied his curiosity and he learned a new thing. And I'm all for that.
Old 11th December 2018, 04:07 PM   #369
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I just overheard a colleague on a call:

"The form you need is the FTP Access Request... FTP. F for Fred, T for Tango... no, F for Fred. F for Foxtrot. FTP. F for Foxtrot. No, F for Freddie..."
Old 11th December 2018, 04:17 PM   #370
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that happens to me with depressing regularity is I'll get a request from a new employee. It's obvious that their teammates or their supervisor has told them enough to know they need something, but somehow managed to end the conversation before explaining to this poor soul how to get it.

So they come to me with this question about their job, and all I can think is, "why hasn't your team explained your job to you yet?"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 04:58 PM   #371
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

"The form you need is the FTP Access Request... FTP. F for Fred, T for Tango... no, F for Fred. F for Foxtrot. FTP. F for Foxtrot. No, F for Freddie..."

Try this one:

http://shelleyberman.com/ewExternalF...300&height=300
Old 11th December 2018, 05:08 PM   #372
Dabop
Muse

"F for Fred, T for Tango... no, F for Fred. F for Foxtrot. No, F for Freddie..."
F for... (reproductive eternal punishment...)

LOL, It wouldn't be polite to actually say what I was thinking, but I bet you are now too...

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2018, 05:44 PM   #373
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
"F for Fred, T for Tango... no, F for Fred. F for Foxtrot. No, F for Freddie..."
F for... (reproductive eternal punishment...)

LOL, It wouldn't be polite to actually say what I was thinking, but I bet you are now too...

Well, that's why this thread exists, isn't it?
Old 11th December 2018, 05:46 PM   #374
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One thing that happens to me with depressing regularity is I'll get a request from a new employee. It's obvious that their teammates or their supervisor has told them enough to know they need something, but somehow managed to end the conversation before explaining to this poor soul how to get it.

So they come to me with this question about their job, and all I can think is, "why hasn't your team explained your job to you yet?"
Oh, absolutely. And the worst part is when I look them up in the corporate structure, I see that their supervisor has done this many, many times and by now should know better.

Like those people I posted about earlier who continually need their password reset, and have to ask every time how to do it. You'd think they'd learn after the eighth or ninth time.
Old 11th December 2018, 07:43 PM   #375
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And here's the guy who seems incapable of speaking in complete sentences:

"Oh, hey, I'm having a problem with... uh, it's a RAS problem and I can't... it just won't... uh... I've had this a couple of times and... I can't get the..."

Hard not to interrupt someone sometimes. I was easily able to determine what his problem was (he need to download and install Citrix Receiver) but actually getting him to say what was wrong was excruciating.
Old 14th December 2018, 12:19 PM   #376
Donal
Illuminator

5 pm before you leave for vacation is not the time when you request assistance with the remote access over your personal Macbook.

And arguing with me and questioning everything I ask you to does not accelerate the process. And when I give in to your demand to send someone to your desk to assist, that won't either. Or s/he will do is stand there and tell you to do the exact same things I am. Plus you get the added feature of one of them becoming available.

We are not going to touch your personal laptop.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 12:22 PM   #377
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
5 pm before you leave for vacation is not the time when you request assistance with the remote access over your personal Macbook.

And arguing with me and questioning everything I ask you to does not accelerate the process. And when I give in to your demand to send someone to your desk to assist, that won't either. Or s/he will do is stand there and tell you to do the exact same things I am. Plus you get the added feature of one of them becoming available.

We are not going to touch your personal laptop.
Touch the laptop, Donal. Go ahead, it's okay. I don't mind, really. You know you want to, Touch it, Donal, touch it!

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 01:53 PM   #378
Wudang
BOFH

And just when they're ready to snap let out an "Oops".
Wudang is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 10:36 PM   #379
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Cheeses, people. If you're going to make major changes to a major ICT system, including modifications to workflow and process, you need to do two things: First, make sure it is finished before you implement it. Second, tell people that you're doing it.
Old 18th December 2018, 09:23 AM   #380
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Cheeses, people. If you're going to make major changes to a major ICT system, including modifications to workflow and process, you need to do two things: First, make sure it is finished before you implement it. Second, tell people that you're doing it.
But that would spoil the surprise!

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 04:46 PM   #381
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
But that would spoil the surprise!

I did find a news post on the departmental Intranet about the new system. I don't know - do a lot of people routinely check the Intranet news? I know I don't.
Old 18th December 2018, 08:55 PM   #382
rdaneel
Illuminator

I did find a news post on the departmental Intranet about the new system. I don't know - do a lot of people routinely check the Intranet news? I know I don't.
I check my work email once or twice... a month.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 12:08 PM   #383
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

We use Jive and it's terrible. The important "Be aware" messages get buried under 3 year old posts about the Christmas Meal because that's what people are searching for\clicking on

It's all the bad features of social media smushed together with the bad features of the old intranets
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 01:14 PM   #384
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm just gonna share the entire text of the trouble call I just received.

"Dr. (Redacted) needs help. He dismantled his computer and needs help getting all back together... asap."
Old 19th December 2018, 02:10 PM   #385
CORed
Philosopher

"Dr. (Redacted) needs help. He dismantled his computer and needs help getting all back together... asap."
Better order a new one.

ETA: It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, because you'd owe me a keyboard if I was.

Last edited by CORed; 19th December 2018 at 02:18 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 06:01 PM   #386
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Is he currently in surgery? Because he will need it NOW!!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 07:07 PM   #387
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I got one a little while ago that said only "Desktop PC Reimagine Required".
Old 19th December 2018, 07:48 PM   #388
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Steve Jobs?
Old 19th December 2018, 08:01 PM   #389
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Steve Jobs?
Or Walt Disney.
Old 19th December 2018, 10:05 PM   #390
rdaneel
Illuminator

Imagine well versed users
who solve it if they try

No I.T. hassles
All tickets worth your time.

Last edited by rdaneel; 19th December 2018 at 10:12 PM.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 11:10 PM   #391
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

One thing I've not mentioned about my job yet is that I record the IVR messages, since I have such a mellifluous voice . I just got done recording the messages to go up over the holidays. If anyone phones one of four specific Australian Government organisations between the 24th and the 2nd, it'll be my voice they hear.
Old 20th December 2018, 03:21 PM   #392
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Touch the laptop, Donal. Go ahead, it's okay. I don't mind, really. You know you want to, Touch it, Donal, touch it!

If it's a MacBook touch it long enough to drop it in a suitable bin.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2018, 07:55 PM   #393
Dabop
Muse

One thing I've not mentioned about my job yet is that I record the IVR messages, since I have such a mellifluous voice . I just got done recording the messages to go up over the holidays. If anyone phones one of four specific Australian Government organisations between the 24th and the 2nd, it'll be my voice they hear.
Great, now I am going to have to phone around all them trying to find your voice LOL

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 01:45 PM   #394
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay one thing I try to stay above as much as possible is office politics.

But Jesus Christ I swear some of these people measure their self worth based on how much stuff they have on their desk. Names have been changed to protect the annoying.

*Unboxing a device at the front desk*
Carol: Hey Joe, what is that?
Me: It's a barcode scanner for the front desk.
Carol: Why is Debra getting a barcode scanner?
Me: Don't know, office manager put a ticket in for her to get a barcode scanner, that's all I know.
Carol: I've been worker here longer than Debra.
Me: That's nice Carol.
Carol: I just don't understand why she's getting one before I am. Also why is her monitor bigger than mine?
Me: I don't know Carol.
Carol: I just think it's funny that Debra is getting all this stuff. I'm going to talk to the office manager about getting a barcode scanner. And a bigger monitor.

At this point I should point out that Carol has at no point prior to this ever mentioned needing or wanting a barcode scanner, the nature of her job has no role for a barcode scanner ("Carol" does patient scheduling, "Debra" does insurance claims and billing).
Old 1st January 2019, 02:15 PM   #395
TX50
Graduate Poster

When I worked in tech support (ugh! <shudder> ) we used to have to use the English (NATO), the German, the Dutch and the French phonetic alphabets. Doesn't do at all to mix up your Charlies, your Cornelises, your Celestines or your Caesars.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 04:08 PM   #396
Wudang
BOFH

FFestiniog Tsar Psoriasis.
Wudang is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 07:26 PM   #397
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
FFestiniog Tsar Psoriasis.
I'm sure there's an ointment for that.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:51 AM   #398
ShowMe
Graduate Poster

I've been a tech most of my life, and the two biggest issues almost always arise from different ends of the spectrum: The "we've always done it this way" people, and the "we have to use the bleeding edge latest and greatest" folks.

And when they get into a grunting contest we wind up with Windows Vista systems (yes, that was bleeding edge at one point in history) running Virtual Machines of Windows XP so people can actually access their older programs.

"I could tell you that it is because I don't want The Language Award to appear too cliqueish. But I won't. 'Cause you're not one of the cool people." - Tricky
ShowMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:53 AM   #399
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ShowMe View Post
I've been a tech most of my life, and the two biggest issues almost always arise from different ends of the spectrum: The "we've always done it this way" people, and the "we have to use the bleeding edge latest and greatest" folks.

And when they get into a grunting contest we wind up with Windows Vista systems (yes, that was bleeding edge at one point in history) running Virtual Machines of Windows XP so people can actually access their older programs.
Cutting age is workable.

Legacy is workable (within a degree.)

"Trying to do cutting age while still maintaining Legacy in a mix and match" is where the nightmares begin.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:09 PM   #400
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Colleagues, we have now entered the cutting age.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet