ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th October 2018, 08:56 PM   #281
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

When someone makes something idiot-proof, someone else invents a dumber idiot.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2018, 06:10 PM   #282
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Them: Hi, I started in the department today, and I'm trying to log on.

Me: Okay.

Them: ...

Me: Okay?

Me: Um, what are you asking me?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 11:10 AM   #283
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2018, 12:04 PM   #284
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ask if he knows how a phone works. And tell him you are not the voices in his head, so he doesn't have to tell you what he is doing right now.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:51 PM   #285
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Speaking with my consumer electronics design engineer hat on. Assuming "large number" means more than 0.5% then almost certainly that is either do to poor design of the phone hang up switch system or faulty hangup switches. I've thrown away or returned for credit many of phones over the last 40 years for those two reasons.
Our phones at the office had a handset that was slippy and thin, it could be hard to hold it firmly and not get your fingers in the way when trying to hang up.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 03:50 PM   #286
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And it still surprises me that many staff do not know the process for requesting a password reset. And despite monthly email reminders, do not register for password self-service.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 09:56 AM   #287
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And it still surprises me that many staff do not know the process for requesting a password reset. And despite monthly email reminders, do not register for password self-service.
About a year ago we started rejecting all password requests, giving the link to the self service tool as the rejection reason.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:03 AM   #288
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think the simple fact that we as an industry are using passwords far, far, far beyond the point of diminishing returns on the "Security versus practicality" chart is sort of an open secret in the business right now.

Any password complex enough to be secure enough, a user is either going to constantly forget or they are going to write it down.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:06 AM   #289
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think the simple fact that we as an industry are using passwords far, far, far beyond the point of diminishing returns on the "Security versus practicality" chart is sort of an open secret in the business right now.

Any password complex enough to be secure enough, a user is either going to constantly forget or they are going to write it down.
CorrectHorseBatteryStaple
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:09 AM   #290
Wudang
BOFH

At <bigbank> they introduced a self-servicing ticket tool that you had to drill down through and the password option pointed you at the self service tool. Similarly the phone number for tickets would nag you to use the selfservice tool once you did the "press 2 for..." maze.

The biggest problem with that whole system was it was always set up to maximise the IT teams' KPIs rather than help the customer. So say you had 3 new joiners all needing email. You couldn't raise one ticket that could be split into 3 tasks. It had to be 3 tickets with no "copy details from". This wonderful book linky ( which I thoroughly recommend and have bought extra copies to give away) refers to it as "displaced complexity". You make your task easier by shoving the complexity elsewhere.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:40 AM   #291
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
CorrectHorseBatteryStaple

You realize you remembered that incorrectly?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:51 AM   #292
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
LastPass or KeePass o a similar password manager.

My personal database has 478 entries, almost none duplicates.

Problem solved.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:54 AM   #293
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by xterra View Post

Problem solved.
That's great if you literally never have to log into a new device ever.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:23 PM   #294
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I don't know. On my home network I have perfect password printed out on a crinkly old piece of printer paper which already had something printed on it. It's the last page on my printers stack*. When friends come over and want to use my Network I give them the piece of paper and tell them not to make any mistakes. Hilarity ensues.

*so now you know!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 12:51 PM   #295
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You realize you remembered that incorrectly?
Nope. I used camelCase in this thread to make it more legible to the unitiated. Capitalization doesn't actually change the underlying principle in the slightest.

Relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/936/

ETA: The point is that a string of four arbitrary words is both easier for a human to remember and harder for a computer to guess through brute force, than a password that conforms to a set of "difficulty" requirements like one cap, one special char, etc.

Last edited by theprestige; 5th November 2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 5th November 2018, 01:08 PM   #296
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Nope. I used camelCase in this thread to make it more legible to the unitiated. Capitalization doesn't actually change the underlying principle in the slightest.

ETA: The point is that a string of four arbitrary words is both easier for a human to remember and harder for a computer to guess through brute force, than a password that conforms to a set of "difficulty" requirements like one cap, one special char, etc.
You could also write out the first letter of every word on a piece of paper in case you forget the password. It ain't like your colleagues are going to go to the trouble of trying to figure it out. They know it's probably something about your password - but who cares?*

*assuming your working in a normal business environment, of course.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 01:10 PM   #297
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah, I get that. The principle is the same. But spacing and capitalization make a difference to whether you've actually remembered the password/phrase correctly.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 01:27 PM   #298
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yeah, I get that. The principle is the same. But spacing and capitalization make a difference to whether you've actually remembered the password/phrase correctly.
Yes they do.

However, my choice to capitalize in this case does not actually justify your assumption that I misremembered the password.

Also, a rule like "I never put caps or spaces in my password" is a lot easier to remember than "One cap, one special char, and one number, unless it's the bank, and then it's cap and char only, unless it's the other bank, and then it's char and number or cap, etc."

So once I'm allowed to use Munroe passwords, I'll have much fewer, much easier rules to remember anyway. Which is half the point of Munroe passwords.
Old 5th November 2018, 02:31 PM   #299
xterra
So far, so good...

If I have to log in to a new device, I set up a new entry in the database. Why is this difficult?
Old 5th November 2018, 02:53 PM   #300
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Problem solved.
That's great when you're working on your own computer, not so much when you're working with an 8,000-user government secure network where installation of unapproved software is prohibited by law and system policy.

I use LastPass myself. On my private, personally-owned devices.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th November 2018, 04:06 PM   #301
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If I have to log in to a new device, I set up a new entry in the database. Why is this difficult?
Well if every device you have to login to has access to this database bully for you I guess.
Old 5th November 2018, 04:57 PM   #302
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well if every device you have to login to has access to this database bully for you I guess.
It's a browser plugin/app that has access to the database and supplies the appropriate password when you connect to the site that needs it.

You're going out of your way to **** on stuff you don't know about. You're also being kind of insulting to your fellow Member.
Old 5th November 2018, 04:59 PM   #303
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Now now let's not get salty.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th November 2018, 05:07 PM   #304
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Now now let's not get salty.
I'm just asking Joe to give the saltshaker a bit of a rest.
Old 5th November 2018, 08:10 PM   #305
xterra
So far, so good...

Joe, my original comment wasn't intended to be salty, but I understand how you could take it that way.

The exchange did get out of hand a bit, partly because I didn't explain that KeePass, my preferred software, is a stand-alone program that encrypts its database, allows access to the program only by password, and doesn't depend on any particular browser.

Arth, yes, if you're working on a large system such as you describe, neither LastPass nor KeePass will work. On the other hand, as a sysadmin you have other methods of resetting passwords, even if only through AD.

EDIT KeePass Password Safe

Last edited by xterra; 5th November 2018 at 08:16 PM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 08:53 PM   #306
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Joe, my original comment wasn't intended to be salty, but I understand how you could take it that way.

The exchange did get out of hand a bit, partly because I didn't explain that KeePass, my preferred software, is a stand-alone program that encrypts its database, allows access to the program only by password, and doesn't depend on any particular browser.

Arth, yes, if you're working on a large system such as you describe, neither LastPass nor KeePass will work. On the other hand, as a sysadmin you have other methods of resetting passwords, even if only through AD.
Yes, the problem is that we have and always have had a procedure in place to ensure that any caller asking for a password reset is actually that person and not someone else just pretending to be them. This procedure should be common knowledge, but we still have to explain it to callers every day.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th November 2018, 08:54 PM   #307
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yes, the problem is that we have and always have had a procedure in place to ensure that any caller asking for a password reset is actually that person and not someone else just pretending to be them. This procedure should be common knowledge, but we still have to explain it to callers every day.
Could you change my password, please? Username is ARTHWOLLIPOT.
Old 6th November 2018, 02:33 AM   #308
Wudang
BOFH

That's great when you're working on your own computer, not so much when you're working with an 8,000-user government secure network where installation of unapproved software is prohibited by law and system policy.

I use LastPass myself. On my private, personally-owned devices.
Despite having been a pentester with IBM, writing part of an IBM security manual, designing security for several systems, I hated dealing with certain aspects of security.
<big bank> security insisted every password on every system had to be different and changed every 30 (later 90) days. We had over 20,000 windows servers and they were considered niche only. Standard servers were unix-variants. We weren't to write them down or store them in any way. Complaints that it was easy for someone in IT ops to have hundreds, if not thousands, of systems to access were brushed off.

On one internal system just used to store models of services for problem triage the vendor product required the tool be able to modify the DB schema (create tables etc). Big problem. Only DBAs can modify the schema. Big security & performance risk apparently if DB drones don't read from a ticket and write DDL exactly as requested on the ticket. So I had to devise a system where the tool knew an admin password but I didn't, using CA's Automation Point (which a more cynical person than I might describe as a POS and about as secure as a paper mache fireguard but had been selected by a supposed SME who knew sod all about anything not written by CA). I'd have preferred to install something else but my previous request for approval of software was still in the assessment queue 3 years later.

When I left there were some trading areas where IT staff had management backing from on high to tell security to F off and sort themselves out but it was still dominated by people who could say "no" but not "yes" and were never held to task. Mordac the Refuser.
If a problem was caused (or included) someone writing down a password or using a guessable one, not their fault. If there was an issue because the only way to square their circle was using a weak solution, not their problem.

.....and breathe.
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 02:40 AM   #309
catsmate
No longer the 1

Biometrics.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 02:45 AM   #310
catsmate
No longer the 1

Have you tried making them come to IT with company ID? For security purposes.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 06:56 PM   #311
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Could you change my password, please? Username is ARTHWOLLIPOT.
Done.
Old 11th November 2018, 05:27 PM   #312
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Just had someone end a call by telling me that they learned something.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th November 2018, 07:07 PM   #313
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Done.
Hey! I can't log into Arth's...sorry, MY ISF account now! Windows is broken!
Old 11th November 2018, 08:18 PM   #314
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey! I can't log into Arth's...sorry, MY ISF account now! Windows is broken!
Do you need someone to reinstall your Adobe?

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th November 2018, 09:18 PM   #315
xterra
So far, so good...

This never happens. You obviously misunderstood what the person was saying.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:57 PM   #316
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This never happens. You obviously misunderstood what the person was saying.
I was explaining what Bitlocker was.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th November 2018, 11:30 PM   #317
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Do you need someone to reinstall your Adobe?
Yes please. I want my Adobe Excel fixed.
Old 11th November 2018, 11:50 PM   #318
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yes please. I want my Adobe Excel fixed.
And how's your Microsoft? All doing well?

- Randall Munroe
Old 12th November 2018, 03:17 PM   #319
plague311
Great minds think...

https://media.giphy.com/media/nXxOjZrbnbRxS/giphy.gif
My boss used to do a "TILT" at the end of the day (things I learned today). It didn't last long because he mostly learned that no one checked the channel in slack he was posting it in because the only thing going in there were his TILTs.

On a completely different note, we use LastPass as a company. It's ******* slick as hell when you're in my role. We do end to end tech support for something like 70 companies. I put the app on my phone, and I can page through every company at my finger tips. If you couple it with 2FA it gets rid of pretty much every security flaw as well. I was hesitant at first, but now I absolutely love it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 04:53 PM   #320
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

And how's your Microsoft? All doing well?
Yes, Microsoft Ubuntu is going well.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet