ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 6th September 2018, 12:52 PM   #201
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This Op-Ed just confirms what Bob Woodward has said in his new book, and really only confirms what the rest of us (at least those of us with any brains) have known for a long time... and that is Trump is a pathological liar, an angry, immature man-child, and is utterly incapable of of carrying out the duties and responsibilities of the Presidency.
Which is what real americans know we need.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:52 PM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I don't think we even have to trust.

This article may be offered as a window into the Trump administration, but I don't need to trust the claims of the article for it to have that effect. The administration response to the article paints a much more clear picture of the Trump administration than the article did. The claims in the article are beside the point, frankly.

Whether any single claim is true or false doesn't matter to me at all. That a person working at the white house would claim to have authored this article is enough. It speaks volumes about the people Trump has hired. Maybe Omarosa wasn't an anomaly, maybe she was the tip of the iceberg.

The best people.

Also, there is plenty of corroboration of some of the claims if you take the time to look for it.
Who at the White House has claimed to be the author?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:56 PM   #203
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Oh, you found one bad article? What was it on, celebrity Gossip?
I’m betting he didn’t even read said article, just saw a Facebook meme about it.

Aaaand once again he pulled out the “but...but this is a skeptics forum!!!!” card again. Really tiresome.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 12:59 PM   #204
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Whether any single claim is true or false doesn't matter to me at all. That a person working at the white house would claim to have authored this article is enough.
You may consider this a nitpick, but we do not know that the author works in the white house, nor did the NYT claim they did. The NYT merely described them as "a senior official in the Trump administration", which is actually a very broad category. That includes quite a lot of people in agencies who do not work in the white house, and it also includes a lot of people who were not appointed or chosen by Trump. It's worth pointing out that the author never claims to have personally interacted with Trump in any way.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #205
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That includes quite a lot of people in agencies who do not work in the white house, and it also includes a lot of people who were not appointed or chosen by Trump. It's worth pointing out that the author never claims to have personally interacted with Trump in any way.
He implies himself to be a Trump appointee by using the word "we" in that context.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:30 PM   #206
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Who at the White House has claimed to be the author?
I hadn't properly accounted for the fact that the NYT was duped on this and Ziggurat's point that they may actually office elsewhere but have a lot of access to the white house:

Quote:
That a person who the NYT believes is working at the white housefor the administration would claim to have authored this article is enough.
ETA: surprised that is the sentence you both were attracted to.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 6th September 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:36 PM   #207
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
He implies himself to be a Trump appointee by using the word "we" in that context.
And maybe he is. But we don't know that, an implication isn't a claim, and the NYT doesn't say he is either.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:36 PM   #208
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Which is what real americans know we need.
On that, we can agree.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:42 PM   #209
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I hadn't properly accounted for the fact that the NYT was duped on this and Ziggurat's point that they may actually office elsewhere but have a lot of access to the white house:
Who said anything about the NYT being duped? I said that the NYT didn't claim that the author worked in the white house. The NYT didn't even claim that the author had a lot of access to the white house. Hell, neither the NYT nor the author actually claim that the author has even been inside the white house. Now, maybe they do work in the white house, maybe they're very close to the president, maybe the ambiguity is just to help protect their anonymity. But we don't know.
Old 6th September 2018, 01:57 PM   #210
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Who said anything about the NYT being duped?
I think theprestige has posited that it is possible that the NYT was duped in some way or another.

Quote:
I said that the NYT didn't claim that the author worked in the white house. The NYT didn't even claim that the author had a lot of access to the white house. Hell, neither the NYT nor the author actually claim that the author has even been inside the white house. Now, maybe they do work in the white house, maybe they're very close to the president, maybe the ambiguity is just to help protect their anonymity. But we don't know.
And I said we don't need to know. The article is not important for the facts it lays out, it is important for how the Trump administration has reacted. Which, by the way, gives credence to the op-ed being true.

It could have been written by an intern for the NYT and it still has had the needed impact. Nonetheless, I think it was likely written by someone in the administration.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 01:57 PM   #211
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Or the author handed the text to a cut-out, who forwarded it to the New York Times under their own name. The editor would get in direct contact with the cut-out, who would claim to be the real author. The editor would have no way of knowing it was a trick.
Would a senior WH official act as a cutout in this way? No.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:02 PM   #212
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Anyone checked in to see what FoxNews has to say about it? Or are they covering Uranium 1 this week?
I'm not getting Fox at the moment but RT went on last night about Hillary being behind all the bots and trolls.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:02 PM   #213
Sherkeu
Muse

I noticed the op-ed author has various ways to address Trump. It didn't seem all that odd til it went back and forth a few times. (the writer does the same to Putin).

If I google the last few months, the top 3 results for "Mr. Trump" are all from the Opinion section of the NYT. So I think this anon writer was rewritten, NYT style, and we won't find him/her by looking at writing patterns.

All mentions of 'Trump" in order:

President Trump is facing a test to his presidency
bitterly divided over Mr. Trump’s leadership
thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses
President Trump’s impulses are generally anti-trade
trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t
President Trump shows a preference for autocrats
The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:03 PM   #214
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Because publishing the op Ed is itself an act to undermine. They've just sent the White House into another paroxysm of paranoia, witch hunting, and backstabbing. The serpents are biting each other in a frenzy. Everyone knows the fastest path to rattle Trump's cage good and hard is to announce to the press that he's not in control of things. He's probably tripled his Diet Coke consumption to rehydrate from all the spittle he's lost from screaming in the last two days. Another couple of leaks and he'll need an IV drip!
Expect more rallies that Trump needs to ease his disturbed mind.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Which all leads me to wonder if the letter/op-ed piece could have been written by someone well outside the White House, with the simple intent of turning the knob up to eleven in an already paranoid Oval Office.
I know, that's crazy talk, never mind, forget I said it.
The Times said the source was
Quote:
a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure.
Unless you are buying into the Trump propaganda that these sources are made of whole cloth, the op ed is legit. Now whether it's this guy alone or that there are others depends on the cred of the op ed author.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:10 PM   #216
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Trump's lunatic base already believed that 100%. It's not going to serve to get them to the polls for the midterms, especially since it paints a picture of all those other non-Trump republicans being in agreement that Trump is bad.

I don't see the behavior of his base changing at all, in any way as a result of the letter.
No, they'll just fit it into a pigeon hole in their deep state beliefs.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:18 PM   #217
Mumbles
Philosopher

Then don't believe it. Take it with a grain of salt. Or take it with the weight of the countless other similar stories such as the books 'Fear', 'Fire and Fury' and 'Unhinged'. Or the countless number of stories and leaks out of the White House.
And his public behavior going back for decades.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:26 PM   #218
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
And his public behavior going back for decades.
The man is nuttier than a fruitcake. As well as being the most dishonest human being I have ever ever ever encountered.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:47 PM   #219
Distracted1
Master Poster

The man is nuttier than a fruitcake. As well as being the most dishonest human being I have ever ever ever encountered.
Blatantly dishonest.

I'd wager the most dishonest person most of us have ever encountered is someone each of us think is a pretty decent guy.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:48 PM   #220
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Times said the source was

Unless you are buying into the Trump propaganda that these sources are made of whole cloth, the op ed is legit. Now whether it's this guy alone or that there are others depends on the cred of the op ed author.
Hadn't seen that quote, so, like I said, forget I said it.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:49 PM   #221
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think theprestige has posited that it is possible that the NYT was duped in some way or another.
I was challenging kellyb's idea that the NYT could not have been duped.

I don't think the NYT was duped, I just think kellyb was wrong to categorically reject the possibility.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 02:52 PM   #222
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And I said we don't need to know. The article is not important for the facts it lays out, it is important for how the Trump administration has reacted. Which, by the way, gives credence to the op-ed being true.
Have you considered the possibility that the op-ed is false, and that the administration is reacting irrationally?

Because Trump's behavior over the past couple years certainly gives a lot of credence to that scenario, too.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:54 PM   #223
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I was challenging kellyb's idea that the NYT could not have been duped.

I don't think the NYT was duped, I just think kellyb was wrong to categorically reject the possibility.
I don't think they were duped either but I amended my sentence to account for that possibility.

Do you think it matters how many of the claims made in the op-ed are true?

Old 6th September 2018, 02:54 PM   #224
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Would a senior WH official act as a cutout in this way? No.
You're just speculating.
Old 6th September 2018, 02:55 PM   #225
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Have you considered the possibility that the op-ed is false, and that the administration is reacting irrationally?

Because Trump's behavior over the past couple years certainly gives a lot of credence to that scenario, too.
Possible. Doesn't that say a lot more about Trump than the article said?

Old 6th September 2018, 02:56 PM   #226
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Possible. Doesn't that say a lot more about Trump than the article said?
Well, it says something verifiably true about Trump: He has responded the way he has responded. So there's that.

But this incident doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know or believe, really. Some "bombshell".
Old 6th September 2018, 03:00 PM   #227
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Trump wrote it. He did it because he wants to scare the crap out of any real staffers who might think about doing the same thing.
Old 6th September 2018, 03:05 PM   #228
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Blatantly dishonest.

I'd wager the most dishonest person most of us have ever encountered is someone each of us think is a pretty decent guy.
I don't believe that at all. I certainly wouldn't think that. I value integrity.

One of my brothers was a pathological liar. He wasn't nice. He wasn't trustworthy and almost no one liked him in reality. And yet as much as my brother Mickey lied, he was much more truthful than Trump could hope to be. Now that is scary.
Old 6th September 2018, 03:11 PM   #229
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Well, it says something verifiably true about Trump: He has responded the way he has responded. So there's that.

But this incident doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know or believe, really. Some "bombshell".
If a device has the intended effect the size isn't really an issue.

Old 6th September 2018, 03:15 PM   #230
Distracted1
Master Poster

I don't believe that at all. I certainly wouldn't think that. I value integrity.

One of my brothers was a pathological liar. He wasn't nice. He wasn't trustworthy and almost no one liked him in reality. And yet as much as my brother Mickey lied, he was much more truthful than Trump could hope to be. Now that is scary.
My point was more along the lines of " a sufficiently intelligent dishonest person will be able to appear honest ".
Old 6th September 2018, 03:24 PM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

Indeed. They always call it "fake news" or some variation of that whenever they can, except when it's undeniably true. Could it be that they expect something to happen if they deny its authenticity? I don't know. It's just weird from Trump and Sanders.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 03:38 PM   #232
Cain
Straussian

When reporters use names sources in a story, readers can use the identity of the source to evaluate its reliability. When reporters use anonymous sources, they should corroborate the information provided by the source, because readers cannot use the identity of the source to evaluate its reliability.

A normal editorial, even a normal guest one, is like a named source: readers can use the identity of the author to evaluate the reliability of the content. That cannot be done here.
And how are people going to evaluate the credibility of the individual? Trump apologists are going to say that whoever wrote this article is dishonest and gutless because s/he has said and done these things.

When it comes to evaluating the credibility, there's a difference between guy in a bar (or on a messageboard), White House reporter, and person working within the administration. That this comes from someone inside the White House gives it credibility. Also, being anonymous can increase its credibility. When Trump asks everyone in a room to go around telling him how great he is, people often use a technique for social interaction called "lying," and, more specifically, "sucking up." By writing anonymously, we can say how we really feel.
Old 6th September 2018, 03:48 PM   #233
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Oops Dbl post.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 6th September 2018 at 03:52 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 03:51 PM   #234
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

An accumulation of evidence from a variety of independent sources that all point in the same direction is generally referred to in skeptic circles as . . . confirmation bias?
The definition I'm getting is "the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories." So, no?

I mean, testimony from multiple independent sources can and has led to plenty of criminal convictions.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 03:52 PM   #235
kellyb
Philosopher

nevermind, I misread.

Last edited by kellyb; 6th September 2018 at 04:04 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 03:59 PM   #236
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

So, what was the bombshell part?

That he's erratic? Amoral? That lots of people, including his staff, don't like him?

I don't see any bombshells there. It's nothing we didn't already know.

If it really did turn out to be Nikki Haley or Mike Pence or someone we've heard of who wrote the letter, that might be sort of a bombshell. (Pence would definitely be a bombshell.) However, as far as the content of the editorial goes, it's pretty old news.

It's kind of sad that it's old news, but it's old news.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2018, 04:01 PM   #237
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The definition I'm getting is "the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories." So, no?

I mean, testimony from multiple independent sources can and has led to plenty of criminal convictions.
I think Zig is saying is that:
1) since all of the leaks have been anonymous, there might only be one leaker, not several independent ones, and
2) our interpretation of the leaks are prone to "confirmation bias" because we'll ignore people like Kellyanne Conway and Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who are also in the WH, who claim that the leaks are lies
Old 6th September 2018, 04:12 PM   #238
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I wonder if American history books in the future will mention "that anonymous op-ed letter".
Old 6th September 2018, 04:18 PM   #239
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
My point was more along the lines of " a sufficiently intelligent dishonest person will be able to appear honest ".
I'm not sure what that means. ?????
Old 6th September 2018, 04:21 PM   #240
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
So, what was the bombshell part?

That he's erratic? Amoral? That lots of people, including his staff, don't like him?

I don't see any bombshells there. It's nothing we didn't already know.

If it really did turn out to be Nikki Haley or Mike Pence or someone we've heard of who wrote the letter, that might be sort of a bombshell. (Pence would definitely be a bombshell.) However, as far as the content of the editorial goes, it's pretty old news.

It's kind of sad that it's old news, but it's old news.
The Bonbshell is that somebody in the Trump White House wrote it.
Anyway, in terms of the impact it is having on Trump, it IS a Bombshell.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics