ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags hurricanes , natural disasters

Old 9th September 2018, 09:05 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Hurricane Florence to possibly hit North/South Carolina

It is looking like Hurricane Florence is not going to swing north and might run right into the Carolinas while at category 4 strength. Reminds me eerily of Hurricane Hugo which is a pretty vivid memory from my youth.

Any forumers live in the possible path?
Old 10th September 2018, 04:03 AM   #2
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

My sister lives near Wilmington.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 04:39 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I suggest a quick GoFund to buy a nice beach property at the site of the landfall, and gift it to Trump, personally.
That should get FEMA mobilized in time and sufficient force.
Old 10th September 2018, 05:38 AM   #4
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

My plan

I am from Wilmington. If Jim Cantore comes to town, I will kidnap him and take him to Norfolk, VA. That should change the path of the storm.
Old 10th September 2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Travis

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
I am from Wilmington. If Jim Cantore comes to town, I will kidnap him and take him to Norfolk, VA. That should change the path of the storm.

Much of Norfolk is barely above sea level. I can only imagine the disaster if it got hit square on by a category 4.

With several days warning I do hope everyone does prudently evacuate. If Hugo is anything to go by it will be beyond devastating when it does come ashore.
Old 10th September 2018, 03:19 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Norfolk would be interesting since it's tied with San Diego for being the biggest US Naval base.

Update: The Navy is moving ships from Norfolk as a precaution against Florence.

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/201...8961536598435/

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th September 2018 at 03:24 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

South of the Border

Jim Cantore has a habit of showing up in places where inclement weather is about to strike, and I have heard a rumor that he is here. Perhaps I should have said that I would transport him to someplace that I can almost wish would be destroyed, like South of the Border.
Old 10th September 2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Travis

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Norfolk would be interesting since it's tied with San Diego for being the biggest US Naval base.

Update: The Navy is moving ships from Norfolk as a precaution against Florence.

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/201...8961536598435/

I'd imagine a Naval vessel would handle a hurricane much better out at sea than moored.
Old 11th September 2018, 02:37 PM   #9
C_Felix
Master Poster

Jim Cantore is around...
That is one sign of the meteorological apocalypse.

I'm about 12 miles south-east of Raleigh.
Old 11th September 2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Travis

I have a feeling this will test the Trump FEMA response in a way that neither Harvey or Irma did not. They've already had a disaster of a response to Maria but since that was in Puerto Rico a lot of people have ignored it. This would be in Trump country.
Old 11th September 2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I have a feeling this will test the Trump FEMA response in a way that neither Harvey or Irma did not. They've already had a disaster of a response to Maria but since that was in Puerto Rico a lot of people have ignored it. This would be in Trump country.
Did Harvey and/or Irma not get enough disaster relief?
Old 11th September 2018, 05:55 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN says Flo is a beast like no other.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/09/11/us/...ous/index.html
Old 11th September 2018, 05:57 PM   #13
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

National Hurricane Centre update:

Quote:
8:00 PM AST Tue Sep 11
Moving: WNW at 17 mph
Min pressure: 945 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph

Hurricane Florence
...DANGEROUS FLORENCE HEADED FOR THE U.S. EAST COAST... ...EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND RAINFALL TO PORTIONS OF THE CAROLINAS AND MID-ATLANTIC STATES...
Of course, all sorts of things can happen: it can change course, slow down, speed up.

Anyway, I am sure the regions affected won't be ignored as much as Puerto Rico was, or New Orleans with Katrina.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:01 PM   #14
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Donny's on top of it!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...prepared-storm
Quote:
President says storm will be ‘tremendously big and tremendously wet’ ..
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:08 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Flo is at Cat 4 now. My prediction is that she will become a Cat 5 and then back to Cat 4 just before landfall.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:34 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

This one's targeting English-speaking white people.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did Harvey and/or Irma not get enough disaster relief?
I think Travis is saying this is a bigger storm than those.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:37 PM   #17
Travis

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

I think Travis is saying this is a bigger storm than those.

Yeah. I think the devastation from this will eclipse those other two storms. The outer bank islands might be wiped clean.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:40 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

One, possible issue is that the area it is most likely to make landfall (Northern South Carolina up to middle North Carolina) has had a pretty big population boom since Hurricane Hugo in 1989, which was the last major (Cat 3 or above) hurricane to make a direct hit north of Georgia.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:54 PM   #19
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

A Tale of Two Floyds

IIRC Floyd in 1999 was on the borderline of Cat 2 and Cat 3. Unlike Mayberry's Floyd, Hurricane Floyd was no fun.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 11th September 2018 at 07:34 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:05 PM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Floyd make a glancing blow, not a direct hit. Hurricanes tend to "bounce off" the coast that far North.

Other than his power the reason Hugo was such a beast was he decided he wanted to see what the inland. He wasn't degraded to a tropical storm until he was hundreds of miles inland.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:27 PM   #21
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Having been born & raised in NC, this is debatable...
Old 11th September 2018, 07:29 PM   #22
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
The "high pressure ridge" weather model projections are downright creepy looking. If you were filming a disaster movie and wanted to make it look like there was a willful force behind the event, pushing the hurricane toward the coastline and then wrapping around behind it to hold it in place there, you'd have your art director cook up some fake weather map graphics that look just like some of the maps I'm seeing in the forecasts tonight.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:38 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

At the risk of being accused of making light of a natural disaster, I'd like to point out that the top comment on Imgur for this photo is "You actually got both Florence and the machine in this shot".

Old 11th September 2018, 07:39 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 332nd View Post
Having been born & raised in NC, this is debatable...
Does it depend on the definition of "English"?
Old 12th September 2018, 07:58 AM   #25
angrysoba
Philosophile

We had a category 5 typhoon blow through Osaka earlier this month. It was the strongest for 25 years and did a lot of damage, particularly when a fuel tanker smashed into the bridge connecting Kansai Airport to the mainland with about 3000 people stranded.

I hope everyone leaves or battens down the hatches.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 08:17 AM   #26
Belz...
Fiend God

Didn't the admin take millions from FEMA to better put children into cages?

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What an idiot.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 09:27 AM   #27
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Does it depend on the definition of "English"?
Probably, all I know for sure is that the older generations can say "Coke", mean anything from 7-up to Pepsi, & I can hear the difference.

Last edited by 332nd; 12th September 2018 at 09:31 AM.
332nd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 09:42 AM   #28
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Didn't the admin take millions from FEMA to better put children into cages?
Re-allocating 10 million dollars out of a 10 billion dollar fund is underwhelming. Claiming that money was used to put children into cages is inflammatory speech. I recognize this talking-point for what it is, political posturing.

Do you have anything productive to add to the discussion?

What metrics should be gathered to gauge and compare the success or failure of federal authorities to natural disasters?
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 09:47 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Re-allocating 10 million dollars out of a 10 billion dollar fund is underwhelming. Claiming that money was used to put children into cages is inflammatory speech.
Ooh, inflamatory! I like that.

Yes, it's a comparatively small amount, but it's a stupid thing to do just before hurricane season. And yes, ICE does more than just that, but given what we've done recently I think the jab is deserved. No need to be butthurt about it.

Quote:
I recognize this talking-point for what it is, political posturing.
What does that even mean?

Quote:
Do you have anything productive to add to the discussion?
I did, but you ignored it because it hurt your feelings.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 10:51 AM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
At the risk of being accused of making light of a natural disaster, I'd like to point out that the top comment on Imgur for this photo is "You actually got both Florence and the machine in this shot".

https://i.imgur.com/YNigi70l.jpg
The Weather Wizard at work for sure. Now where the hell is the Flash?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 10:55 AM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
We had a category 5 typhoon blow through Osaka earlier this month. It was the strongest for 25 years and did a lot of damage, particularly when a fuel tanker smashed into the bridge connecting Kansai Airport to the mainland with about 3000 people stranded.

I hope everyone leaves or battens down the hatches.
The real danger from Florence is the massive rains which are going cause horrendous flooding on the Carolina rivers.....some of it a long way inland. That the tidewater areas of the Carolinas are flat are goint to make things worse.
Yes, the winds can do terrible damage, but most of the experts I am watching are saying the massive rains is where the storm's most dangerous punch is.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th September 2018, 11:09 AM   #32
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The real danger from Florence is the massive rains which are going cause horrendous flooding on the Carolina rivers.....some of it a long way inland. That the tidewater areas of the Carolinas are flat are goint to make things worse.
Yes, the winds can do terrible damage, but most of the experts I am watching are saying the massive rains is where the storm's most dangerous punch is.
Generally, storm surge is considered the most dangerous thing that happens with a hurricane at a coastline. The winds and torrential rain are considered to be less dangerous.

IIRC, the majority of deaths from a hurricane come from drowning in seawater as the ocean invades the land (storm surge).
Old 12th September 2018, 11:49 AM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Prediction:

Most the deaths will be from people trying to traverse flooded roads in vehicles.

Most of the cost-damage will be to homes that never thought they would need flood insurance.

Old 12th September 2018, 11:50 AM   #34
sts60
Master Poster

The Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang (a haven for weather geeks and fanboys) had a chat today to discuss the hurricane and decreasingly possible D.C.-area impacts. Included was possibly the dumbest question ever asked:

Quote:
Hey! I am visiting Charleston this weekend and was wondering when I should leave DC to make sure I get there before the storm hits! Thanks.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 12:30 PM   #35
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

N Carolina bans climate change action

In 2012, the state whose low-lying coast lies in the path of Hurricane Florence reacted to a prediction of catastrophically rising seas by banning policies based on such forecasts

I doubt it would have made a difference here, but still, it's kind of ironinc ...
Old 12th September 2018, 01:16 PM   #36
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Matthew was also an unwelcome guest

From a Raleigh News and Observer story about Hurricane Matthew: "Most of the deaths stem from drivers trying to cross flooded roads and getting swept away by swift water."
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/we...#storylink=cpy
Old 12th September 2018, 03:25 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Minor brouhaha about the Commander of Camp LeJuene deciding not to evacuate the base.
Apparenlty Lejeune is on high ground,and most of the structures pretty solid,and has came through hurricane forcer weather fine before.
In the end it's the CO's call, but if he is wrong it will be his butt as far as his career goes.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th September 2018, 07:13 PM   #38
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by BBC News
Waves 83ft (25m) tall were recorded at sea on Wednesday morning.
Wow!
Old 13th September 2018, 12:27 AM   #39
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

No need to worry. Trump is on the case, and it's just going to be "Tremendously Wet."

Of course if there is damage, then his administration will be on it, doing just as good a job as they did with that unsung success, Puerto Rico!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:39 AM   #40
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Awww....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events