ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Massachusetts politics , presidential candidates , racial isssues

Old 15th October 2018, 10:08 AM   #361
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Saying she should take the test and then afterwards that she shouldn't have taken the test is contradictory.

I'm also a little bemused by the people here and elsewhere who evidently watch the football being pulled away from Charlie Brown and come away thinking that Lucy is the hero of the story. Perhaps Charlie Brown is naive for thinking that Lucy is going to be a decent human being rather than an ********, but Lucy is still an ********.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:11 AM   #362
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"Ha! What an idiot! She should just take the test! The fact that she's not taken a test just proves that she's lying!"

*Warren takes the test*

"Ha! What an idiot! She should never have taken the test!"
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oddly enough, those are not contradictory.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:16 AM   #363
CORed
Philosopher

Actually it suggests that results less than 3.1% are not definitive.

It is cool, CERTAINLY our Hero Expert explained the margin of error and how it applied here, right?

Right?

Anyone?
Just a word of advice: you might want to take some kind of statistics class, or else stay out of discussions about statistics, to avoid making a fool of yourself like that in the future. That's not actually how it works.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:20 AM   #364
Fizil
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
By the way, here's the video of Trump saying the thing that he says he didn't say.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...05214028775426

1:55, very end of the clip.

Now that we have established that Trump is thoroughly dishonest about this, can we agree that Trump has a moral obligation to fulfill his promise and donate $1 million to charity?
Oh my god, you are actually making me defend Trump.

To make myself feel better, I will preface this by saying I am pretty sure he meant to lie. I don't think he is smart enough to actually be right on purpose in this case. I also think a literal interpretation of the speech violates the spirit of it, and following the spirit he should donate that million dollars, but it is Trump so what do you expect.

However, he is technically right: he didn't actually promise one million dollars for her to take a DNA test and provide the results. First of all, it is a promise for the future, and secondly a promise in a specific scenario. So Trump is describing something he will do: In a future debate, when she claims she is of Indian descent, he will give her a testing kit, and then promise her a million dollars to take the test.

The promise is being described as one he will make, in the future, in that debate context.

Now, I need to go lay down for a bit, saying Trump was right has made me a bit nauseous.
Fizil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:22 AM   #365
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
When were those claims disproven?
It sounds like Fauxcahontas is talking about something more recent than a possible 1/1024 connection, with her mother having to elope and all... Maybe she heard this song right before the interview -- Half Breed by Cher:

My father married a pure Cherokee
My mother's people were ashamed of me
The Indians said I was white by law
The White Man always called me "Indian Squaw"
Half-breed, that's all I ever heard
Half-breed, how I learned to hate the word
Half-breed, she's no good they warned
Both sides were against me since the day I was born"
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:24 AM   #366
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I agree that the whole thing is stupid. However, whether it was the best tactic or not, I am finding a great deal of humor in watching the gold post moving and spin doctoring that Trump supporters doing now to spin the apparent scientific confirmation of Warren's family anecdotes as somehow proving that she actually lied, as well as doubling down on the lie that Warren somehow got an unfair benefit from a claim Native American ancestry.

It reminds me of the rapid change among birthers from, "If Obama would just provide the long form birth certificate, it would remove all doubt" to claims that something or other in the pdf from the scan of said document somehow proved it was fake. The hardcore Trump supporters and Republican base are so far beyond the reach of evidence and logic, that of course nothing can reach them, but for people who still have some capacity for rational thought, the reaction to being shown to be wrong goes a long way to illustrate just how far beyond the capability of rational thought they have gone.
It's sort of like dealing with Christians....or Muslims...or Mormons....or Scientologists...or Hindus...or pretty much any mythology. They are only going to believe what might support their claim regardless of its truthfulness or reliability and disbelieve anything like science or facts that don't.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:25 AM   #367
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
It sounds like Fauxcahontas is talking about something more recent than a possible 1/1024 connection, with her mother having to elope and all... Maybe she heard this song right before the interview -- Half Breed by Cher:

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edit for rule 0 and rule 12

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th October 2018 at 06:52 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:25 AM   #368
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

And this is the crux of the lies about Warren. In the very clip that you yourself linked (not new to most of us, I'm sure), Warren made no claims about the scientific accuracy of her mother's ancestry or her father's parent's bigotry against it. She related what her grandparents said about her parent's planned marriage.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:29 AM   #369
River
Illuminator

The math leaves Warren at approximately somewhere between 1/64 and 1/1024 NA.

Between 1987 and 1995, Warren identified as Cherokee at two law schools where she taught, including Harvard. At the time, a Fordham Law Review article described Warren as Harvard’s “first woman of color.” She is nowhere near the required percentages to be recognized by any Indian tribe.

Quote:
Most tribes require a specific percentage of Native “blood,” called blood quantum, in addition to being able to document which tribal member you descend from. Some tribes require as much as 25% Native heritage, and most require at least 1/16th Native heritage, which is one great-great grandparent.Dec 18, 2012

Dems declare victory. It's all ridiculous except for Warrens own claims on documents. In this case she was proven wrong. She is not Cherokee.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:30 AM   #370
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Good old Conspiracy Theorist tactics: When the evidence debunks you, just dance and sing and hope nobody notices.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:31 AM   #371
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by River View Post

Between 1987 and 1995, Warren identified as Cherokee at two law schools where she taught, including Harvard. At the time, a Fordham Law Review article described Warren as Harvard’s “first woman of color.” She is nowhere near the required percentages to be recognized by any Indian tribe.
Goal post rocket sleds!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:32 AM   #372
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fizil View Post
However, he is technically right: he didn't actually promise one million dollars for her to take a DNA test and provide the results. First of all, it is a promise for the future, and secondly a promise in a specific scenario. So Trump is describing something he will do: In a future debate, when she claims she is of Indian descent, he will give her a testing kit, and then promise her a million dollars to take the test.

The promise is being described as one he will make, in the future, in that debate context.

Now, I need to go lay down for a bit, saying Trump was right has made me a bit nauseous.
Ah yes, but will he actually do that at some future debate now?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:32 AM   #373
crescent
Master Poster

It sounds like Fauxcahontas is talking about something more recent than a possible 1/1024 connection, with her mother having to elope and all...
Here's how she described it:

Quote:
"As a kid, I never asked my mom about documentation when she talked about our Native American heritage," Warren said in a 2012 campaign ad. "What kid would? But I knew my father’s family didn’t like that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware. So my parents had to elope."
Here's how her brother heard it:

Quote:
And David Herring, Warren’s brother, said he grew up hearing, "Your grandfather is part Delaware, a little bitty bit, way back, and your grandmother is part Cherokee."
So all she ever stated was that her mother was "part" Native American and that her father's family had heard of it. Both her and her brother make it clear that even at the time of her grandparents, the relatives were only "part" native.

All of which is supported by the recent tests and reports.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:33 AM   #374
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And no surprise that he would hide behind his own loudly proclaimed lies to welsh on a debt.
This is a slur, in case you are not aware of it.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:36 AM   #375
crescent
Master Poster

She never claimed anything else. All she ever claimed was some distant ancestry. The recent tests support that.

It was you conservatives and Republicans who lied made up a bunch of strawman fallacies asserting she claimed membership or any sort of more precise ancestry. It is the conservative and Republican claims against Warren that have been proven false.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:40 AM   #376
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Just a word of advice: you might want to take some kind of statistics class, or else stay out of discussions about statistics, to avoid making a fool of yourself like that in the future. That's not actually how it works.
well certainly you, and our expert did explain how it does work here, right?

Gosh, I ever so much want to learn!

Because right now, I am not seeing anything on how the potential for various errors in the process were accounted for.

Please help me to learn!

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:43 AM   #377
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Why 23andMe Is Smoke and Mirrors

"It’s not so much what they can tell you folks, because besides some obvious genetic disorders, 23andMe is not super concerned with the accuracy of their reports, but rather with compiling vital information about us and using that data for whatever sordid purposes they can come up with, to give them more leverage in the world than they already have. "

Hmm, our expert consulted for them... hmmm.

say folks just how accurate are these reports? They are doing "Science" right?

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:43 AM   #378
carrps
Scholar

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Furthermore, if a 'generation' is 25-30 years, that would put the time frame of her native ancestory somewhere around the early 1800s. While that may be outside 'living' memory, it is certainly not ancient history. I know people who have built family trees that go back that far.
I had no family history of NA ancestry, and I didn't know anything beyond two generations back on my dad's side. He said he thought he was "mostly Scottish," and that turned out to be true. But I didn't know how many generations back his family had been in the Americas. I have multiple ancestors from the mid 17th C. I was amazed.

Then, I had my DNA tested, and it turns out I have a miniscule amount of NA ancestry. Probably as much as Warren. It's just so easy for stories to be either forgotten or exaggerated. It's a nice-to-know for me, but I'd hate to be ridiculed for mentioning it. Trump is just a bloviating *******!
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:46 AM   #379
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Dems declare victory. It's all ridiculous except for Warrens own claims on documents. In this case she was proven wrong. She is not Cherokee.
The tribal regulation is irrelevant. A rule that an elephant is a duck does not make it so.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:51 AM   #380
Thermal
Illuminator

TBD, the challenge was to take one of the swab tests. She did, and it substantially confirmed what she was told by her mother.

Arguing now that the test is not accurate enough is textbook moving the goalposts.
Old 15th October 2018, 10:54 AM   #381
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
TBD, the challenge was to take one of the swab tests. She did, and it substantially confirmed what she was told by her mother.

Arguing now that the test is not accurate enough is textbook moving the goalposts.
who sees the problem here?

-M. Avenatti
Old 15th October 2018, 10:54 AM   #382
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The tribal regulation is irrelevant. A rule that an elephant is a duck does not make it so.
Warren also never applied to be in a tribe, nor did she declare that she should be in a tribe.

She certainly did not invent a fake tribe to take advantage of minority bids.

Old 15th October 2018, 10:54 AM   #383
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
She never claimed anything else. All she ever claimed was some distant ancestry. The recent tests support that.

It was you conservatives and Republicans who lied made up a bunch of strawman fallacies asserting she claimed membership or any sort of more precise ancestry. It is the conservative and Republican claims against Warren that have been proven false.

Interesting.

Quote:
The Association of American Law Schools desk book, a directory of law professors from participating schools, includes Warren among the minority law professors listed, beginning in 1986 and continuing through 1995. The years include time she spent teaching at the University of Texas and the University of Pennsylvania, before she joined the faculty at Harvard Law.

The listings were based on professors reporting that they were members of a minority group, the directory says.

Warren’s campaign did not dispute the listings

“The fact that she listed her heritage in some professional directories more than 15 years ago does not change those facts,’’ Harney said.

Warren’s unexpected minority status sparked controversy last week, when the Boston Herald reported that the school had named her a minority professor in the 1990s at a time when the campus was facing criticism about preponderance of white men on the faculty.
Quote:
But a 1997 Fordham Law Review piece described her as Harvard Law School's "first woman of color," based, according to the notes at the bottom of the story, on a "telephone interview with Michael Chmura, News Director, Harvard Law (Aug. 6, 1996)."

"There are few women of color who hold important positions in the academy, Fortune 500 companies, or other prominent fields or industries," the piece says. "This is not inconsequential. Diversifying these arenas, in part by adding qualified women of color to their ranks, remains important for many reaons. For one, there are scant women of color as role models. In my three years at Stanford Law School, there were no professors who were women of color. Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995."
Quote:
The fact that there never have been Asian Americans, Native Americans, gays, lesbians, Latinos, Latinas and women of color [on the faculty] is a subject of major concern," said Wilkins, who is black.

Of 71 current Law School professors and assistant professors, 11 are women, five are black, one is Native American and one is Hispanic, said Mike Chmura, spokesperson for the Law School.

Although the conventional wisdom among students and faculty is that the Law School faculty includes no minority women, Chmura said Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren is Native American.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 15th October 2018 at 10:57 AM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:56 AM   #384
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I sure do see the problem.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 10:56 AM   #385
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Lack of tribal membership does not make your ancestry invalid.

Old 15th October 2018, 10:56 AM   #386
Thermal
Illuminator

Did the President's challenge specify a particular brand of test? No? Then you are moving the goalposts
Old 15th October 2018, 11:01 AM   #387
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Did the President's challenge specify a particular brand of test? No? Then you are moving the goalposts
"I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you're an Indian."

them there goalposts are tight and locked in place.

-M. Avenatti
Old 15th October 2018, 11:01 AM   #388
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting.
None of that indicates any contradiction on what she feels is necessary to consider oneself a minority.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 11:03 AM   #389
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

"I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you're an Indian."

That is zero posts. There is no definition there of what is an indian.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:05 AM   #390
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That is zero posts. There is no definition there of what is an indian.
Really, so you are saying that trump might have been mocking her?

Do go on!

-M. Avenatti
Old 15th October 2018, 11:05 AM   #391
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Really, so you are saying that trump might have been mocking her?

Do go on!
As a bad person does, yes. It wasn't a bet.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:10 AM   #392
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"Ha! What an idiot! She should just take the test! The fact that she's not taken a test just proves that she's lying!"

*Warren takes the test*

"Ha! What an idiot! She should never have taken the test!"
Oddly enough, those are not contradictory.
Highlights added for the benefits of any other "uneducated rubes" that may still be lingering in the thread.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 11:10 AM   #393
River
Illuminator

None of that indicates any contradiction on what she feels is necessary to consider oneself a minority.
Why don't you please define what it takes for that to happen please? Explain what is necessary to consider oneself a minority.

Old 15th October 2018, 11:11 AM   #394
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

As a bad person does, yes. It wasn't a bet.
Of course it wasn't, and warren was a damn fool for falling for it, particularly given that the commercial DNA hereditary services are junk science at best.

But then to do and release silly results like that is hilarious!

-M. Avenatti
Old 15th October 2018, 11:15 AM   #395
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Highlights added for the benefits of any other "uneducated rubes" that may still be lingering in the thread.
In the old days, when this was a site for critical thinking, people would have analyzed the statement. I see that does not happen much anymore, but lets consider it a challenge, anyone?

-M. Avenatti
Old 15th October 2018, 11:16 AM   #396
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Why don't you please define what it takes for that to happen please? Explain what is necessary to consider oneself a minority.
It’s is the Republicans trying to make hay out of this, so why is it up to us to define what makes one a minority. Bigots in the past seemed happy with the one-drop rule, why change now?

Old 15th October 2018, 11:17 AM   #397
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have no opinion on that. And my opinion wouldn't be relevant. Her opinion, in an assessment of her thinking, would.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:19 AM   #398
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh dear goddamn Jesus backflipping Christ politicians could just jiggle their keys at each other and it would be more meaningful then thus.

So the Republicans don't like the incontrovertible prove that the Democrats provided for their doubt of the claim that nobody has yet explained why anybody bothered to make.

Good. Glad we're all on the same page.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2018, 11:19 AM   #399
Thermal
Illuminator

Oh, you meanTrump was publucly challenging a claim that she didn't actually make? Thanks for clarifying.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:20 AM   #400
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Explain what is necessary to consider oneself a minority.

Answer: High cheekbones.

"I still have a picture on my mantel and it is a picture my mother had before that - a picture of my grandfather. And my Aunt Bea has walked by that picture at least a 1,000 times remarked that he - her father, my Papaw -- had high cheekbones like all of the Indians do."
-- Pocahontas (May 3, 2012)
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics