ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , China incidents , China issues , christian persecution , gosateizm

Old 13th September 2018, 10:28 AM   #281
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I still assume that
ever hear what they say about assuming?

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 10:29 AM   #282
fagin
Philosopher

How you think is immaterial. May I suggest a strongly worded letter to The Times. And Mr.Xi.

Because China has always been a bastion of fair and free values. I wonder what changed?

Where were you during the Cultural Revolution?
Old 13th September 2018, 10:43 AM   #283
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
ever hear what they say about assuming?

Yes.
You are the one who posted a link to Wikipedia's article about Das Kapital in a post where you talked about the "Atheist Bible."
Why?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 10:47 AM   #284
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Cool! We are off the "mandate" part.

Now we are on to "how you think beliefs work?" Because how TBD thinks they work is "TEH KEY!"

as opposed to, oh I dunno, asking how the Chinese think it works, and how they think it works is that they make people renounce their faith, blow up their churches, restrict their ability to use the internet and put them in reeducation camps.

Oh and they kill tens of thousands of Falun Gong.
Well, if you are going to call a man an atheist because his political leader says that he should be an atheist, then yes, that seems to be an issue particular to you.

I'm not defending the Chinese actions. I am questioning why you are so stuck on calling the people committing those actions atheist when most evidence points to the Chinese culture being run through with various religious beliefs.

As much as you are aghast that you think we are ignoring the clearly atheist cause of these atrocities, we are completely aware that you will never acknowledge the authoritarian roots of these atrocities. Roots that your president has admired jealously.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 10:48 AM   #285
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.
You are the one who posted a link to Wikipedia's article about Das Kapital in a post where you talked about the "Atheist Bible."
Why?!
Take a gander at post 231

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 10:54 AM   #286
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Well, if you are going to call a man an atheist because his political leader says that he should be an atheist, then yes, that seems to be an issue particular to you.

I'm not defending the Chinese actions. I am questioning why you are so stuck on calling the people committing those actions atheist when most evidence points to the Chinese culture being run through with various religious beliefs.

As much as you are aghast that you think we are ignoring the clearly atheist cause of these atrocities, we are completely aware that you will never acknowledge the authoritarian roots of these atrocities. Roots that your president has admired jealously.
HI! Chinese Culture is not doing this, Xi and the party hacks in the CCP are.

And as much as you are aghast that i am focusing on the clearly atheist cause of these atrocities, trying to limit the focus to "authoritarian roots" does not in any way, shape or form, and has not, does not, and will never contradict what I have just explained.

atheism and authoritarianism are not mutually exclusive, particularly not in countries like China, indeed where the authoritarian structure is imbued with atheism which is why in this case the authoritarians are attacking religious organizations.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 10:59 AM   #287
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Cool! We are off the "mandate" part.

Now we are on to "how you think beliefs work?" Because how TBD thinks they work is "TEH KEY!"

as opposed to, oh I dunno, asking how the Chinese think it works, and how they think it works is that they make people renounce their faith, blow up their churches, restrict their ability to use the internet and put them in reeducation camps.

Oh and they kill tens of thousands of Falun Gong.
How you reconcile that the Chinese authorities appoint Christians to be Bishops, and that the Vatican often confirms that they are indeed Bishops in the Roman Catholic Church with your belief about being forced to be an atheist?
Old 13th September 2018, 11:04 AM   #288
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How you reconcile that the Chinese authorities appoint Christians to be Bishops, and that the Vatican often confirms that they are indeed Bishops in the Roman Catholic Church with your belief about being forced to be an atheist?
The same way I reconcile John Mccain signing a confession that he was war criminal while in the Hanoi Hilton.

By the way, is there really some confusion that the Chinese are forcing people to renounce their faith??

I have posted several articles on this exact point.

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by The Big Dog; 13th September 2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:04 AM   #289
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

"slandering"... Hoo boy

"Marxist Atheists put Muslims in cages and demand that they denounce their religion."

And you suggest that suggesting that Atheism had something to do with it is 'slander"?
Yes. Slander, or faulty thinking. These are the only two choices. This is a point you either refuse to understand, or cannot. Either way, oh boy. No surprise, given.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:11 AM   #290
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Yes. Slander, or faulty thinking. These are the only two choices. This is a point you either refuse to understand, or cannot. Either way, oh boy. No surprise, given.
anyone else find a false dichotomy that include the phrase "faulty thinking" as an option deliciously ironic?

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by The Big Dog; 13th September 2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:48 AM   #291
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Yeah, literally no chance of anyone conceding an inch of ground when the best argument is that the Marxist atheist crackdown is limited to dissident groups.
I don't think anyone supports China cracking down on any groups, but the huge and obvious flaw in your argument is to emphasize the Chinese government as atheist rather than Marxist and totalitarian.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 11:50 AM   #292
dann
Philosopher

Take a gander at post 231

Oh, I see! So you just combined "Atheist Bible" with a link to Wikipedia's article about Das Kapital for no reason at all.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 11:52 AM   #293
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I don't think anyone supports China cracking down on any groups, but the huge and obvious flaw in your argument is to emphasize the Chinese government as atheist rather than Marxist and totalitarian.

Since it's running a capitalist country, it would be weird to call it Marxist.

Last edited by dann; 13th September 2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:54 AM   #294
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I pointed out "the huge and obvious flaw" in your argument.

-M. Avenatti

Last edited by The Big Dog; 13th September 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:55 AM   #295
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I see! So you just combined "Atheist Bible" with a link to Wikipedia's article about Das Kapital for no reason at all.
wrong again.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 12:28 PM   #296
smartcooky
Philosopher

"Marxist Atheists....."
"Marxist Atheist" goes together well as a combination... like "Priest Paedophilia"
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 12:31 PM   #297
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The same way I reconcile John Mccain signing a confession that he was war criminal while in the Hanoi Hilton.

By the way, is there really some confusion that the Chinese are forcing people to renounce their faith??

I have posted several articles on this exact point.
That's a sidestep of the question I was asking.
Old 13th September 2018, 12:41 PM   #298
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's a sidestep of the question I was asking.
You ask how "I" reconcile something, "I" answer, and that is your response?

odd.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 01:15 PM   #299
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
China is actively supporting Confucianism, going so far as to finance over a thousand institutes worldwide to spread its message.
Calling a government Atheist that spends tax dollars to spread religion doesn't sound reasonable to me.
Reason ran out of the thread screaming from the first post.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #300
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Reason ran out of the thread screaming from the first post.
well, I can certainly understand why you feel that way, because you just quoted a post that makes zero sense, and if one used reason, one would instantly see why.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 03:00 PM   #301
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

HI! Chinese Culture is not doing this, Xi and the party hacks in the CCP are.

And as much as you are aghast that i am focusing on the clearly atheist cause of these atrocities, trying to limit the focus to "authoritarian roots" does not in any way, shape or form, and has not, does not, and will never contradict what I have just explained.

atheism and authoritarianism are not mutually exclusive, particularly not in countries like China, indeed where the authoritarian structure is imbued with atheism which is why in this case the authoritarians are attacking religious organizations.
You know those party hacks are people, right? People who grew up in the culture of . . . China.

The reason the atheist aspect of this doesn't bother me is that it isn't the driving philosophy for these attacks. There is no tenet of atheism that drives one to attack churches. The driving philosophy is authoritarianism: squash anything that threatens your power. Trump would love to be able to do the same thing, while pretending to be Christian. He has said as much in his jealous admiration of Xi. That's what bothers me.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 03:10 PM   #302
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You know those party hacks are people, right? People who grew up in the culture of . . . China.

The reason the atheist aspect of this doesn't bother me is that it isn't the driving philosophy for these attacks. There is no tenet of atheism that drives one to attack churches. The driving philosophy is authoritarianism: squash anything that threatens your power.
Atheism has tenets now does it? However, what we in fact see is that there are some atheists who are happy go lucky types (these ain't them), while there are others that are authoritarians who would gladly destroy religious faith (heck a few of them even post here). many of those are followers of Marxism, like these ******* thugs.

I did modestly suggest that I would be happy to refer to them as marxist atheists (because quite honestly the whining and woe is me around here was getting a bit much.... "hate speech"... oh brother)

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 04:04 PM   #303
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Modestly! Ha.
Old 13th September 2018, 05:07 PM   #304
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Atheism has tenets now does it?
If atheism doesn't have tenets, what underlying principle or doctrine motivates the actions of the Chinese government in these crackdowns?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 05:58 PM   #305
Thor 2
Illuminator

Atheism has tenets now does it?
Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
If atheism doesn't have tenets, what underlying principle or doctrine motivates the actions of the Chinese government in these crackdowns?

No atheism has no tenets, atheism has a lack of tenets.

The Big Dog has been on about this on many times before on other threads. It is tedious. Atheism does not have any doctrine to tell those who lack belief in mystical beings to go out and convert others. What the Chinese government does is not motivated by atheism.
Old 13th September 2018, 06:04 PM   #306
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
I was asking a question to our intrepid correspondent.

To answer your question: Marxist Atheist hate.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 06:17 PM   #307
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Did you get that from the Atheist Bible?
Old 13th September 2018, 06:17 PM   #308
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Nearly right. 5/10.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:22 PM   #309
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Did you get that from the Atheist Bible?
Oh man...

Hee hee!

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 06:23 PM   #310
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh man...

Hee hee!
You're right - it is laughable.
Old 13th September 2018, 06:23 PM   #311
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

I think TBD has a point here! But it isn't atheism that is the driving force for Marxist idealogues. It's brown suits. Take a look - what do they all have in common? All of them, without exception, wore some sort of brown suit. Not the nice black or dark blue ones like good Christians wear. Brown.

So let's get down on brown!

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 13th September 2018 at 06:26 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:24 PM   #312
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Nearly right. 5/10.
Nearly right:

Atheist Hate.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 06:27 PM   #313
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Nearly right:

Atheist Hate.
No, brown suits! I've just explained they all have brown suits in common! Get with the programme! The Five Year Programme!
Old 13th September 2018, 06:44 PM   #314
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You're right - it is laughable.
Which is why I explained that I was using it to mock your arguments, great to see you have such a great sense of humor about it.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 06:45 PM   #315
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I think TBD has a point here! But it isn't atheism that is the driving force for Marxist idealogues. It's brown suits. Take a look - what do they all have in common? All of them, without exception, wore some sort of brown suit. Not the nice black or dark blue ones like good Christians wear. Brown.

So let's get down on brown!

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...c_400x400.jpeg

https://78.media.tumblr.com/avatar_eec991de1f57_128.pnj

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...06178286-1.jpg
All atheists, all history’s greatest monsters.

-M. Avenatti
Old 13th September 2018, 06:46 PM   #316
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Which is why I explained that I was using it to mock your arguments, great to see you have such a great sense of humor about it.
Well at this stage it's either laugh at you or punch you in the face, and I'm an pacifist so I was left with only that option.
Old 13th September 2018, 06:55 PM   #317
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

All atheists, all historyís greatest monsters.
No, it's the BROWN SUITS! Surely you can see that all history's greatest monsters wore brown suits in common?

Old 13th September 2018, 06:56 PM   #318
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Well at this stage it's either laugh at you or punch you in the face, and I'm an pacifist so I was left with only that option.
I'm not, but why waste a good punch.

It's very much like the parable of the chess playing pigeon. Baruch 5:13

Said the robot gleefully as he went on his rampage.

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 13th September 2018 at 06:57 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 06:59 PM   #319
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Look! Brown suits are Commie!

Old 13th September 2018, 07:00 PM   #320
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Punch me in the face? I wasnít the one who said One was more appalled by pointing out that atheists were detaining a million people than the actual fact that a million people were being detained....

-M. Avenatti

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy