ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:50 AM   #81
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yep. (although with all "Proposed Projects" how likely it is to actually happen or how seriously anyone is taking the proposal is... debatable.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...s#2018_Revival
IIRC the longest bridge in Europe is the one connecting Kalmar to the Öland island, in Sweden.
Old 5th October 2018, 10:51 AM   #82
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
IIRC the longest bridge in Europe is the one connecting Kalmar to the Öland island, in Sweden.
Is it in a box?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 10:56 AM   #83
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Map projection flaws are corrected by reversing the outdated practice of utilizing shrinking map scales. My 2:1 scale map of the planet is twice as accurate as the actual territory.
Yeah, but your vacation slides are twice as boring.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 10:57 AM   #84
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I have been largely disappointed by maps on the internet. Most are really poor quality.

What are the flaws you have found with Google Earth that have caused such disappointment?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 11:00 AM   #85
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is it in a box?
I never look at Sweden. <g>
Old 5th October 2018, 11:06 AM   #86
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What are the flaws you have found with Google Earth that have caused such disappointment?
For example, when asking the question of it: all countries on E 30º longitude.

It gives a list, sure. I wanted a map.
Old 5th October 2018, 11:37 AM   #87
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

For example, when asking the question of it: all countries on E 30º longitude.

It gives a list, sure. I wanted a map.

Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

You can look at a globe of the Earth, overlay it with Lat./Long. lines, add the place name overlays if needed, zoom in to whatever resolution you like (down to individual cars in many cases), and literally rotate that globe along E 30º longitude, checking out the countries as you go, and zooming in and out whenever you choose. You can see topographic features in clear relief, both above and below water surfaces. Dropping placemarks wherever you feel like it that you can label yourself, store, and go back to whenever you want. That's only a few of the things you can do with it.

How much more of a map do you want?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 11:58 AM   #88
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Have a look at this Peter's projection. Apparently this shows the world in its correct size.
Must be a bugger to fold if you’re using it to navigate in the car.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 12:24 PM   #89
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Correct map;

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th October 2018 at 03:16 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 12:35 PM   #90
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

You can look at a globe of the Earth, overlay it with Lat./Long. lines, add the place name overlays if needed, zoom in to whatever resolution you like (down to individual cars in many cases), and literally rotate that globe along E 30º longitude, checking out the countries as you go, and zooming in and out whenever you choose. You can see topographic features in clear relief, both above and below water surfaces. Dropping placemarks wherever you feel like it that you can label yourself, store, and go back to whenever you want. That's only a few of the things you can do with it.

How much more of a map do you want?

That feature is superb, on a micro level. Sometimes only a proper atlas will do when you want a bigger picture and you want to see ALL of them at once, within the perspective of the rest of the world.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:38 PM   #91
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Rolfe has a birthday
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The closest railway station to Shetland is in Norway.

That's not actually true. Northern Isles Lib-Dems are a strange bunch and that's one of the things they say, probably started as a joke but they may even believe it by now.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:40 PM   #92
Rolfe

Rolfe has a birthday
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
The Northern Isles (Shetland and Orkney) have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Some of it is to do with resources, they feel that they do not get to benefit from the oil gas and fish and that the money is siphoned off to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh doesn't see any of the oil and gas money, and doesn't get any particular benefit from fishing. The oil and gas revenue is siphoned off to London. Shetland however does get some of it because the county council managed to do an advantageous deal right at the beginning.

Most of what you say isn't very accurate you know. The Western Isles get an absolutely terrible deal compared to the Northern Isles for example.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:41 PM   #93
Rolfe

Rolfe has a birthday
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I have been educated. Thank you.

No, you actually haven't.

Just for another point, Orkney didn't introduce baby boxes. The Scottish government did a pilot study for the baby box on Orkney.

Last edited by Rolfe; 5th October 2018 at 12:43 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 12:51 PM   #94
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
That's not actually true. Northern Isles Lib-Dems are a strange bunch and that's one of the things they say, probably started as a joke but they may even believe it by now.
Campbeltown is the largest population in mainland Scotland that is furthest from a railway. The nearest one is in Portrush, Northern Ireland
Old 5th October 2018, 01:02 PM   #95
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Which is, of course, quite incorrect.

A map of Tasmania is usually on, or just above, a box.

I think you just got away with it...
Old 5th October 2018, 01:03 PM   #96
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Correct map

Fully correct final compromise map:

Old 5th October 2018, 01:35 PM   #97
baron
Philosopher

A better compromise would be to put it further away and place around it the outline of a cock. God knows, people never run out of stuff to whine about.
Old 5th October 2018, 01:38 PM   #98
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post

Shouldn’t it include Rockall?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 01:42 PM   #99
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Shouldn’t it include Rockall?
I demand all maps of the UK be 100% complete. That includes the Falkland Islands, and a chunk of Antarctica.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 02:29 PM   #100
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I demand all maps of the UK be 100% complete. That includes the Falkland Islands, and a chunk of Antarctica.
Are the Antarctic stations actually part of the sovereign territory of their sponsor countries?
Old 5th October 2018, 02:46 PM   #101
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Are the Antarctic stations actually part of the sovereign territory of their sponsor countries?
Several countries claim a "pie slice" of Antarctica. What, if any, legal bearing they have, I don't know.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/__data/.../antarctic.png

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th October 2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Rule 5
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 08:01 PM   #102
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I think you just got away with it...
A line about Brasil being on the tip of my tongue seemed a little too much like thinking outside of the box.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 08:15 PM   #103
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Several countries claim a "pie slice" of Antarctica. What, if any, legal bearing they have, I don't know.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/__data/.../antarctic.png
Claim?
Old 5th October 2018, 08:48 PM   #104
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

In less than a generation wall maps and atlases have all but disappeared from the public schools in Asia.

The internet is so much better for these nitpick claims. You don't see the Shetland Islands - use your scroll wheel. Heck, I can scroll out to see both Alaska and Hawaii along with the "lower forty-eight".

National Geographic or the British Institute of Whatever They're Called should get together a huge grant to get Google to split off a Map Map (not a "Here's a knife and fork near you" map). The zoom in/zoom out/scroll is awesome for map reading. With the ability to put the various projections in place, change to 3D models as the technology becomes available, etc... the atlas is going to be reduced to collectors' item status. I'd like Google Maps to have a topographical feature and a few of the other climate and rainfall maps that good atlases have*, but I think it's going to be easier to add them to computer programs than it's going to be to keep publishing very expensive, bulky and slow atlases.

In my years in shipping, we lived for good maps. So did our clientele. Our most popular give-aways were good wall maps. Staff in any shipping/traffic department would spend 10% of their days at the maps, just checking details. As of around 2005, the customers stopped requesting them. Even before Google Maps was improved to "usable", you could find maps on line, information at your fingertips and a lookup/index that didn't require getting out a four kilo oversized book or making a trip to the big wall map down the hall.

*ETA - and rivers of the world, allowing you to overlay political borders and remove them at will.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 5th October 2018 at 08:49 PM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 10:00 PM   #105
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I have been educated. Thank you.
Me too - very interesting info about the Shetland Isles.

I used to just love looking at maps. I wonder whether it is something that children should have the experience of, plus looking at a large wall map. Hmmm, ah well.
There's that wonderful map in the Royal Geological Society, halfway up the stairs, made by William Smith.

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 5th October 2018 at 10:24 PM.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 12:41 AM   #106
Rolfe

Rolfe has a birthday
Except most of what Planigale said was wrong.
Old 6th October 2018, 01:41 AM   #107
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
In less than a generation wall maps and atlases have all but disappeared from the public schools in Asia.

The internet is so much better for these nitpick claims. You don't see the Shetland Islands - use your scroll wheel. Heck, I can scroll out to see both Alaska and Hawaii along with the "lower forty-eight".

National Geographic or the British Institute of Whatever They're Called should get together a huge grant to get Google to split off a Map Map (not a "Here's a knife and fork near you" map). The zoom in/zoom out/scroll is awesome for map reading. With the ability to put the various projections in place, change to 3D models as the technology becomes available, etc... the atlas is going to be reduced to collectors' item status. I'd like Google Maps to have a topographical feature and a few of the other climate and rainfall maps that good atlases have*, but I think it's going to be easier to add them to computer programs than it's going to be to keep publishing very expensive, bulky and slow atlases.

In my years in shipping, we lived for good maps. So did our clientele. Our most popular give-aways were good wall maps. Staff in any shipping/traffic department would spend 10% of their days at the maps, just checking details. As of around 2005, the customers stopped requesting them. Even before Google Maps was improved to "usable", you could find maps on line, information at your fingertips and a lookup/index that didn't require getting out a four kilo oversized book or making a trip to the big wall map down the hall.

*ETA - and rivers of the world, allowing you to overlay political borders and remove them at will.
maybe I'm an old fart (ok no maybe about it) but looking at a map on a computer doesn't have anywhere near the same sense of 'wow look at the world, I'm going to go to all those places' that I had from looking at a paper map or a globe.
Old 6th October 2018, 01:45 AM   #108
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Have a look at this Peter's projection. Apparently this shows the world in its correct size.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ers-boston-map
I had a Peters wall map in the 1980s - free with a copy of New Internationalist. As you do.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 6th October 2018 at 02:07 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 01:52 AM   #109
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by baron View Post
A better compromise would be to put it further away and place around it the outline of a cock.
But the Kintrye Peninsula is already on the map.

Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 02:05 AM   #110
fagin
Philosopher

I hereby claim that unclaimed bit.
Old 6th October 2018, 02:07 AM   #111
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I hereby claim that unclaimed bit.
Faginland.
Old 6th October 2018, 09:14 AM   #112
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I prefer the Tobler one

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 11:16 AM   #113
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
There doesn't seem to be much interest in doing either, but what do you think would happen, and under what authority?
The Ancient Ones would issue forth from the Mountains of Madness and erase Man and his works from the planet's surface. Or someone would send a strongly worded letter to the Telegraph.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 11:58 AM   #114
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I prefer the Tobler one

Hmmmmm. A world made of Chocolate ....
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 01:18 PM   #115
Rara
Thinker

hmmm..sitting here in Shetland..not in a box...I say meh! the boxes never bothered me in particular...but weather maps...

some of the "facts" on this thread are not,well,facts.

so ask away,except about Shetland ponies..ugh

I would love to think Shetland was God forsaken,I was once told there were more churches per head of population than anywhere in the UK,not sure if that's true.

certainly the local Church of Scotland churches are being sold off bit by bit,minuscule congregations.

Today was a beautiful day,2nd coat of paint on the chicken shed,so yes often windswept,never boring.

Last edited by Rara; 6th October 2018 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Rara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 01:52 PM   #116
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Do you see us waving when you look south?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 02:00 PM   #117
Rara
Thinker

once the Haa clears.
Rara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 03:53 PM   #118
Planigale
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
No, you actually haven't.

Just for another point, Orkney didn't introduce baby boxes. The Scottish government did a pilot study for the baby box on Orkney.
Well any other hairs you want to split?

I said that the Northern Isles felt they got a worse deal. Subjective feelings are usually not entirely rational. You can argue about whether the oil/gas money comes directly to Edinburgh or via Westminster. Certainly if there was independence it would go to Edinburgh. Calmac a government owned and subsidised ferry service that has a road equivalency tariff goes only to the Western isles; the Northern Isles rely on commercial services, only in the last few months has some subsidy been introduced but fares remain less subsidised than to the Western Isles. The funding to support Gaelic language is a massive subsidy to the Western Isles where many of the 60,000 Gaelic speakers are based; it is hard to identify the total spend on Gaelic but it is around £20,000,000 / yr. The Scottish Government grant to the western isles is higher per person than for Orkney or Shetland. if you have evidence that the Northern Isles get more then I am happy to hear.

http://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/upl...nt_finance.pdf
https://beta.gov.scot/publications/s...-2021/pages/6/
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 04:52 PM   #119
Rolfe

Rolfe has a birthday
Oh for goodness sake, could you be any more out of touch? Here's a clue. If you don't have one, don't make pronouncements.
Old 7th October 2018, 05:26 AM   #120
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Wait, a bridge from Ireland to Scotland? Is that an actual proposed project?

Oddly enough - from the Brexit thread
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
Has she considered going into politics?

ETA: A leak from future wikipedia:
what I didn't realise, was that this was based on an actual proposal by Johnson.

I know that he has an expensive education and can be quite erudite, but the more I see of him, the more I think he's an expensively educated idiot trying to look like a clever person pretending to be a buffoon.
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I didn't also realise that this Festival of Brexit Britain poster was actually a response to a suggestion by the PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoVICA_WkAAcqg-.jpg:large

It's getting silly - but I did notice the evocation of a non-existent 1950s
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events