ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 14th February 2019, 04:09 PM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

National Emergency

It appears as if Trump is going to declare a National Emergency to get his wall. I'm confident that the courts will rule this does not constitute an emergency. But no question, this will be a Constitutional crisis as the power of the purse belongs to Congress.

Trump and the GOP are being shortsighted if they allow this opening of Pandora's box where POTUS can declare what he pleases as an emergency. What's to stop future President's from banning guns based on that it constitutes a national health emergency?
Or implementing environmental laws based on the fact that global warming constitutes an "emergency?

Where does it end?

Last edited by acbytesla; 14th February 2019 at 04:19 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:17 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

My prediction was that he would continue to shut down government until he gets the wall. He would shut it down multiple times if that is what is required to get the wall.

Or maybe he does try the National Emergency and then if that's rejected he goes back to shutting down.

Last edited by William Parcher; 14th February 2019 at 04:18 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How can you tell this is any different from his ranting about declaring an emergency for the last few months?
Old 14th February 2019, 04:22 PM   #4
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
My prediction was that he would continue to shut down government until he gets the wall. He would shut it down multiple times if that is what is required to get the wall.

Or maybe he does try the National Emergency and then if that's rejected he goes back to shutting down.
If he signs the budget then things are funded through the end of September. He would not be able to have a shutdown until then, regardless of how the national emergency works out.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:23 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Cause it's not clear he is not getting the fence money from congress,and not to declare the state of emergency would him look like he is weak and has thrown in the towel,and that might finally do some real damage to his base.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:30 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
If he signs the budget then things are funded through the end of September. He would not be able to have a shutdown until then, regardless of how the national emergency works out.
My prediction was that he would not sign and then do another shutdown. So yeah, if I'm right then we will have another shutdown starting next week.
Old 14th February 2019, 04:33 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I hope that my prediction is wrong because I don't want more shutdowns and I don't want a wall.
Old 14th February 2019, 04:36 PM   #8
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He CANT just shut it down. It doesn't work that way.
Old 14th February 2019, 04:45 PM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//Moved from other thread//

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The emergencies he declared before were local and related to natural disasters;this is a lot different.
No a National Emergency is completely different from a State of Emergency. There's never been a National Emergency declared over a natural disaster.

Trump has issued 3 National Emergency declarations in his Presidency, all are still in affect.

On December 20, 2017 - Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption (Executive Order 13818)[100] – Imposed sanctions due to the Rohingya conflict in Myanmar, specifically against general Maung Maung Soe.

September 12, 2018 - Imposing Certain Sanctions in the Event of Foreign Interference in a United States Election (Executive Order 13848)

November 27, 2018 -Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua (Executive Order 13851) – Announces certain sanctions against current and former Daniel Ortega government officials engaging in human rights abuse or corruption.

Again in total 31 of the 58 National Emergencies ever declared are still in effect (and 4 more seem to be in this weird "not in effect but we never actually officially rescinded them" state)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:48 PM   #10
crescent
Master Poster

I'll try again.

The government budget expires about 29 hours from now.

A declaration of National Emergency would be presumed valid (legally) until proven otherwise. If there is enough doubt to convince a judge, the judge can implement a stay of the declaration.

In your scenario, all of that would have to happen within the next 29 hours.

If he does not declare the National Emergency before then, there will be no time to petition a court. There would be no way for him to judge the failure or success of the Emergency declaration before the budget expires.

All of the reports have stated that he will sign the budget and declare victory through the Emergency. He might do them both more or less at the same time.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 04:59 PM   #11
The Shrike
Illuminator

Absolute disgrace to be clearing that big swath through those floodplain forests along the Lower Rio Grande. The heavy equipment down there now? That's the national emergency.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:01 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Remember this:

"Emergency! Emergency! Everybody to be getting off street!".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:03 PM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Remember this:

"Emergency! Emergency! Everybody to be getting off street!".
Totally apropos. Never forget, the Russians are coming!
Old 14th February 2019, 05:05 PM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Absolute disgrace to be clearing that big swath through those floodplain forests along the Lower Rio Grande. The heavy equipment down there now? That's the national emergency.
I think the wall is an ecological disaster. For many animals it's a barrier like none other. The ocelots and jaguars can no longer move between the countries.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:07 PM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I'll try again.

The government budget expires about 29 hours from now.

A declaration of National Emergency would be presumed valid (legally) until proven otherwise. If there is enough doubt to convince a judge, the judge can implement a stay of the declaration.

In your scenario, all of that would have to happen within the next 29 hours.

If he does not declare the National Emergency before then, there will be no time to petition a court. There would be no way for him to judge the failure or success of the Emergency declaration before the budget expires.

All of the reports have stated that he will sign the budget and declare victory through the Emergency. He might do them both more or less at the same time.
My original and still standing prediction is that he will not sign the budget tomorrow and government will shut down again.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:11 PM   #16
newyorkguy
Philosopher

USA Today reported about three hours ago:
Quote:
President Donald Trump will declare a national emergency to speed up funding for his proposed wall on the U.S.-Mexican border, but experts said the move would create a legal morass that could take until the middle of next year to resolve. The White House announced Thursday that Trump will make the move that he'd suggested for weeks. Link
This is what Donnie said:
Quote:
"What will happen? I'll be sued. It'll be brought to the 9th Circuit. We'll probably lose there, too," Trump said. "And then hopefully we'll win in the Supreme Court."
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:11 PM   #17
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

My original and still standing prediction is that he will not sign the budget tomorrow and government will shut down again.
If he does, he will just prove he's an idiot and a glutton for punishment.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:11 PM   #18
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What's to stop future President's from banning guns based on that it constitutes a national health emergency?
Or implementing environmental laws based on the fact that global warming constitutes an "emergency?
The fact that the President doesn't pass laws, primarily.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:18 PM   #19
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Pelosi doesn't like it, calling it an "end run around Congress." She also said:
Quote:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday issued a warning to Republicans poised to support President Trump's decision to declare a national emergency at the southern border: the next Democratic president, she said, could do the same on guns. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:21 PM   #20
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
USA Today reported about three hours ago:

Quote:
President Donald Trump will declare a national emergency to speed up funding for his proposed wall on the U.S.-Mexican border, but experts said the move would create a legal morass that could take until the middle of next year to resolve. The White House announced Thursday that Trump will make the move that he'd suggested for weeks. Link
This is what Donnie said:
Quote:
What will happen? I'll be sued. It'll be brought to the 9th Circuit. We'll probably lose there, too," Trump said. "And then hopefully we'll win in the Supreme Court."
I'm telling you all again, this is theater. Trump understands the law, but doesn't want to look bad. He CANNOT shut the government down again. That was a disaster.
He also KNOWS the courts will say no. But it's the optics he cares about. This way he can declare victory and keep blaming everyone else. He can get the crazies off his back and can even use this to rally them.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:22 PM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now we find out if the Republicans really love the constitution as much as they claim too, or if they are willing to sell it out for some temporary political gains. I am afraid it is going to be the latter.
I have deceded that the GOP, as it now exists,is as much as clear and present danger to Consituional Government in America as Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:24 PM   #22
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The fact that the President doesn't pass laws, primarily.
Tell that to Trump and the GOP.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:24 PM   #23
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I'm telling you all again, this is theater. Trump understands the law, but doesn't want to look bad. He CANNOT shut the government down again. That was a disaster.
He also KNOWS the courts will say no. But it's the optics he cares about. This way he can declare victory and keep blaming everyone else. He can get the crazies off his back and can even use this to rally them.
And you don't get why a President even trying this is dangerous to Democracy in America.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:26 PM   #24
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If he does this, it may not get to court at all. Congress may well override him if enough Republicans see the writing on the wall and don't want to see their careers die in a filthy ditch with Donny. Pelosi has given them the heads-up now.

So to go to court, he would have to take it there himself, and argue that there WAS an "emergency" big enough for him to unilaterally override Congress. And I don't think Donny has much of a chance there, even with Drunky McRapeface on his side.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:26 PM   #25
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And you don't get why a President even trying this is dangerous to Democracy in America.
I get it. I don't like it one bit. But perhaps I'm a little to optimistic. I remember what happened with Harry Truman.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:29 PM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

In post #8 you said that he can't shut the government down.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:31 PM   #27
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If he does this, it may not get to court at all. Congress may well override him if enough Republicans see the writing on the wall and don't want to see their careers die in a filthy ditch with Donny. Pelosi has given them the heads-up now.

So to go to court, he would have to take it there himself, and argue that there WAS an "emergency" big enough for him to unilaterally override Congress. And I don't think Donny has much of a chance there, even with Drunky McRapeface on his side.
No, you misunderstand. The President cannot authorize spending. That HAS to come from Congress. They appropriate funds. However, there is money in the Defense budget that can be used for a National Emergency.

By using those funds for this, Trump is going around Congress and the Constitution.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:34 PM   #28
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

In post #8 you said that he can't shut the government down.
There are specific times when there is no budget or operating under a CR or raising the debt limit where Congress can play this game. Now would be one of those times. But 5 months from now won't be.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #29
Tero
Graduate Poster

Aw, I wanted him to grab the CA and Puerto Rico disaster money and get into real trouble.

Congress needs to get his signature on the budget and only then act.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 05:35 PM   #30
eerok
Quixoticist

I think you're right. More accurately, I hope you're right.

This smells like a stunt to me, just like the wall in general.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:42 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

IMHO, this is a defining moment for a lot of Republicans. What Trump is doing goes against standard Conservative doctrine:That for a long time the Presidency has gathered simply too much power for itself, well beyond what the Writers of the Consituion intended.(A statement I agree with). Now they are faced with the choice of sticking to principal or throwing principle out the window for temporary political gain. McConnell has made his choice:The hell with the Constituion. Now it is up for the other Republcians to make their choice. I am not very optimistic. The lust for power has totally corrupted the GOP.
That great line from "A Man For All Seasons" comes to mind:
"To gain the world and lose your soul is bad enough..but to sell your soul for Wales?".

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th February 2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:52 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Good Anlysis from CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/12/polit...gop/index.html

Anybody who thinks that the Dems in the House are not going to toss that grenade is living in La La Land.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th February 2019, 06:03 PM   #33
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Again?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:09 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I agree. Trump knows his base really well. But then again, they're not that difficult to understand...just play to their fears.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 14th February 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:17 PM   #35
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The operative word being "rally", because it's that campaign rally buzz Trump really craves. This is his easy escape from politics, which confuses and bores him, and gets him back to simplistic sloganising before an adoring audience.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:23 PM   #36
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday issued a warning to Republicans poised to support President Trump's decision to declare a national emergency at the southern border: the next Democratic president, she said, could do the same on guns. Link
Oh...my....God.

So, the President says he's going to do an end run around Congress in order to keep out illegal aliens...…...and Nancy Pelosi responded by saying, "Oh, yeah. Well if we get into office, we're going to do an end run around Congress so we can take away your guns."

Thanks, Nancy. That really helps.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:23 PM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

Tell that to Trump and the GOP.
No, I mean he literally can't pass laws.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:25 PM   #38
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well that complicates things.
Old 14th February 2019, 06:26 PM   #39
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I think you're right. More accurately, I hope you're right.

This smells like a stunt to me, just like the wall in general.
I agree. Trump has the same opinion of his base as Lonesome Rhodes did. He wants to go back to his original plan in December.... Give up, go to Mar A Lago, claim victory. But the alt-right kaboshed that so he had to "Go To Shutdown Tough Guy" mode and got his butt whipped then, too. Now he's going to revert to Give Up Go to Mar A Lago Claim Victory. He will declare an emergency and then count on it getting blocked. He can then get back to his first love, campaigning, and claim that he tried but was blocked by evil Democrats. He's got the sound bytes ready. "Finish That Wall".... we already did most of it according to Trump math. Dems want to let murdering terrorist rapists into your Sunday School picnics!

If you want to see funny, the Dems should do a dog-chasing-a-car bit and not file suit against the emergency and watch while the Republicans try to figure out what to do next because they are completely ill-prepared to take even a dime from any other funds. Maybe they could attach Steven Miller's salary and use that to pay for the wall and announce that all the billionaires they've given JTUF(jobs they're unsuited for) will pay for it. Hell, they bought their cabinet and WH positions with contributions. Might as well donate to their rabid base directly.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 06:33 PM   #40
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Oh...my....God.

So, the President says he's going to do an end run around Congress in order to keep out illegal aliens...…...and Nancy Pelosi responded by saying, "Oh, yeah. Well if we get into office, we're going to do an end run around Congress so we can take away your guns."

Thanks, Nancy. That really helps.
Yes, it helps. The pros on the Republican side are worried precisely about this. If Trump's scenario plays out and he gets blocked in the lower courts but supported by the Supremes, you have precedent and case law on your side. How hard do you think it would be to get your Democratically appointed Surgeon General and Sec HHS to promote the concept that gun deaths are a national crisis? With the Supremes having decided that the POTUS has those powers, President O'Rourke is free to do that. Don't need no pesky congress critters, just decide to spend the money for maintaining the highways out of the grain belt on gun control. Hey, it's a tough job, but it's an emergency after all and someone's got to do it. Who knew usurping the powers of the Legislative branch would be so easy?

Just as the Dems didn't think through the later repercussions of "the nuclear option", the GOP is in dire fear of what a populist Democrat with 55% support of the populace could pencil-whip through the Oval Office.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics