ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags fox news , Fox News incidents , media criticism , media incidents , pundits , Rutger Bregman , tucker carlson

Old 21st February 2019, 09:21 AM   #1
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Fox News Host Gets Triggered by Historian

Dutch historian Rutger Bregman made was invited to speak at the Davos World Economic Forum; basically a billionaire's meeting. He made the news when he used the opportunity to call out the elites on their hypocrisy.

Now he was interviewed by millionaire Tucker Carlson of Fox News. The uppity historian did not hesitate to call out the hypocrisy of the millionaire.
Most of the people in Davos, but also here on this channel, have been bought by the billionaire class, you’re not meant to say these things.

The millionaire controls the information ladled out to millions of Americans and he knows it. The criticism of the historian quickly drove him to melt-down:
"I want to say to you — why don’t you go **** yourself, you tiny brain — and I hope this gets picked up because you’re a moron, I tried to give you a hearing but you were too ******* annoying …"

Well played, Mister Bregman.

Here's a news story:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/j...tter-fox-vgtrn

And here is the rebel's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/rcbregman
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Wow, that escalated fast.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post
The millionaire controls the information ladled out to millions of Americans and he knows it. The criticism of the historian quickly drove him to melt-down:
Maybe Tucker Carlson needs a 'safe space'.

Would it be fair to call him a snow flake?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 09:37 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Fox is always triggered by facts.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:08 AM   #5
applecorped
Banned

And many here are triggered by Fox
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
As any practicing skeptic should be. Load o' crock.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Triggered to laugh.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Donal
Illuminator

So, does he ever have someone he disagrees with in studio? Or did he learn from the spanking Jon Stewart gave him? Because every time someone brings up an interview of his, is over video conference.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:19 AM   #9
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Meh, in hindsight I wish I'd highlighted the issue more and not made the OP about a cheap laugh.
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:26 AM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Dutch historian Rutger Bregman made was invited to speak at the Davos World Economic Forum; basically a billionaire's meeting. He made the news when he used the opportunity to call out the elites on their hypocrisy.

Now he was interviewed by millionaire Tucker Carlson of Fox News. The uppity historian did not hesitate to call out the hypocrisy of the millionaire.
Most of the people in Davos, but also here on this channel, have been bought by the billionaire class, you’re not meant to say these things.

"I want to say to you — why don’t you go **** yourself, you tiny brain — and I hope this gets picked up because you’re a moron, I tried to give you a hearing but you were too ******* annoying …"

Here's a news story:

I feel you didn't emphasise the fact Carlson has money enough.

Needs more work

Maybe point out he is "a millionaire" another 12 times rather than 3 or 4 in a handful of sentences
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 12:00 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Good lord, I do believe that is the first time I have seen anything "genuine" on Faux News (even if it really wasn't actually aired on that channel)

I wonder who filmed it?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st February 2019 at 12:03 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 12:38 PM   #12
baron

Has this historian challenged any other TV network on the same grounds? It's not as if any of them are in favour of taxing themselves more heavily, and if individuals claim to be it's because they know their highly paid financial advisers will ensure they don't pay a penny extra.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 01:14 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Has this historian challenged any other TV network on the same grounds? It's not as if any of them are in favour of taxing themselves more heavily, and if individuals claim to be it's because they know their highly paid financial advisers will ensure they don't pay a penny extra.
Has he been asked to be interviewed by any other right wing fake news TV channel?

Has he been interviewed by any other millionaire anchors on a channel owned by a billionaire.

Has he been interviewed by any other right-wing Trump fawning host who is prone to melting down in spittle-filled rages when he gets called out for his lies?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st February 2019 at 01:18 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:25 PM   #14
baron

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Has he been interviewed by any other millionaire anchors on a channel owned by a billionaire.
That's what I asked. Why are you repeating it? Fox News doesn't have a monopoly on - EDIT: See My Next Post for Updated Link

Last edited by baron; 21st February 2019 at 03:45 PM.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 02:37 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That's what I asked. Why are you repeating it? Fox News doesn't have a monopoly on obscenely rich news anchors.
No, but it does have a monopoly on obscenely rich news anchors who melt down in rage over being criticised, and who fawn all over the stinking pile of steaming excrement currently masquerading as a US President.

PS: no mention of any "obscenely rich news anchors" in the link you posted. In fact, no mention of news anchors at all.

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st February 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 21st February 2019, 03:44 PM   #16
baron

No, but it does have a monopoly on obscenely rich news anchors who melt down in rage over being criticised, and who fawn all over the stinking pile of steaming excrement currently masquerading as a US President.
I'm not defending this guy. I don't know who he is but he doesn't deserve to be paid $1 for that performance, let alone $1m or whatever.

PS: no mention of any "obscenely rich news anchors" in the link you posted. In fact, no mention of news anchors at all.
Quite true. I don't know how that happened.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-stunned.html/
Old 21st February 2019, 03:57 PM   #17
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Oh, that was brilliant! The fact that Bregman is civil, and frankly amused, is hilarious. Carlson's anger was funny, the fact that he apparently hasn't heard of YouTube or, say, Foxnews.com is the icing on the cake.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:02 PM   #18
Donal
Illuminator

He got notoriety by going to Davos and telling a room full of rich folks why they are wrong about philanthropy vs taxes. There were several media moguls and personalities in attendance. He is fairly critical of how the subject of wealth inequality is handled by our media as a whole.

Of course, the only one dumb enough to try and confront him on TV was the worst example of what he talks about.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:02 PM   #19
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There are plenty of millionaire news anchors

https://moneyinc.com/20-richest-news-anchors-world/
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:07 PM   #20
Baylor
Philosopher

"You are a millionaire funded by billionaires, that’s what you are," Bregman says, setting Carlson off. "And I’m glad you now finally jumped [on] the bandwagon of people like Bernie Sanders and AOC"

It's obvious he doesn't know what Tucker Carlson's political views are.

Anyway, I never heard of this Bregman (I'm guessing he's childless and he appears to be suffering from hypogonadism), but his ideas for dangerous. He has a brilliant vision for a "utopia" and he wants to impose it on the rest of the world. Not cool.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:50 PM   #21
Venom
Illuminator

It's likely Bregman wanted to trigger Tucker Carlson personally.

But he in no way limits his criticism to Fox or Republicans.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 06:11 PM   #22
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Whatabout...

No, subject today is Hanity. A hack Trump propagandist millionaire paid by billionaires.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 06:49 PM   #23
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
"You are a millionaire funded by billionaires, that’s what you are," Bregman says, setting Carlson off. "And I’m glad you now finally jumped [on] the bandwagon of people like Bernie Sanders and AOC"

Anyway, I never heard of this Bregman (I'm guessing he's childless and he appears to be suffering from hypogonadism), but his ideas for dangerous. He has a brilliant vision for a "utopia" and he wants to impose it on the rest of the world. Not cool.
Google his name, then you can catch up.

RE: the hilighted.
What?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 06:59 PM   #24
Baylor
Philosopher

Bregman looks like the quintessential bugman.

I'm sick of these childless European freaks preaching to those of us with children how the world should work.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:00 PM   #25
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm sick of these childless European freaks preaching to those of us with children how the world should work.
Where did you buy yours?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:02 PM   #26
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Ah, I get it now.

Gl with your bait.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:04 PM   #27
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Where did you buy yours?
Pathetic attempt at being funny.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:09 PM   #28
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

This is a weird version of identity politics you've got.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:12 PM   #29
Baylor
Philosopher

So what. I'm skeptical of the "utopia" some hypogonadal childless bugman has envisioned. This is a skeptics forum after all.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:14 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here's a news story:

Quote:
Next up: Carlson says his reaction was heartfelt.

That's a dark heart he has there, but that's no surprise.
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:19 PM   #31
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
I come here for informed discussion, and "Fox News makes you stupid".
Google that phrase for details (more than 5,000 results).
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 10:30 PM   #32
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

This was beautiful. Shows Cucker Tarlson for the insecure little coward he is. Love it.

Anyone who buys what this pathetic turd is selling is an utter moron.

Last edited by Lambchops; 21st February 2019 at 10:32 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 10:37 PM   #33
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
I come here for informed discussion, and "Fox News makes you stupid".
Google that phrase for details (more than 5,000 results).
Correlation is not causation.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:44 AM   #34
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Google his name, then you can catch up.

RE: the hilighted.
What?
Extreme rightwingers are triggered by childless (white) people. Something about not doing your part to further the white race I suppose.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 22nd February 2019 at 12:45 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:01 AM   #35
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Extreme rightwingers are triggered by childless (white) people. Something about not doing your part to further the white race I suppose.
It's the so called "white genocide" thing.

Bring it on, and make us all a lovely caramel color.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:48 AM   #36
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Race? Rutger Bugman did the world a favor by not breeding. It's annoying when these Darwin's dead ends pontificate how the world ought to be. Tucker Carlson never wants his beautiful family to be subjected to the whims of these rootless bugmen.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:49 AM   #37
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
It's the so called "white genocide" thing.

Bring it on, and make us all a lovely caramel color.
Less skin cancer.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 04:17 AM   #38
baron

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Less skin cancer.
That's a plus point. But there would be no diversity either...

OK, you talked me into it.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:20 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Oh, that was brilliant! The fact that Bregman is civil, and frankly amused, is hilarious.
To be fair, though, saying "blah blah blah" to someone is generally not considered very polite.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:22 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

What is it with you and people with no children?

Oh, that's right, some nonsense that you can't support.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events