ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 20th March 2019, 07:32 AM   #121
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
EU has two choices: allow an extension until the end of June, or allow a long extension of over a year, to allow for a general election or a referendum (or both). It became clear yesterday the deal can not be decided upon again in the House of Commons and Parliament stated it doesn't want a no deal.

The only remaining options are:

1. renegotiating the deal enough to be materially different, this option exists only in theory as EU already ruled that out plus there isn't enough time
2. referendum for the deal, this requires an extension of about a year at least
3. a new general election, this too would require an extension of at least one year

A sensible approach for the EU would be to offer an extension of four years. A delay this long ensures sufficient time to run a referendum if UK wants one, it also ensures at least one general election will be held in the meantime so the deal can be rerun through the parliament and hopefully pass and even after all that it still leaves enough time to renegotiate the deal entirely. It also allows UK to contest the European Elections and have their MEPs run the full term (or thereabout), limiting any problems with legality and representation.

It is possible to renegotiate the deal, if UK lets go of some self-imposed red lines. Expect any new deal to be notably worse for the UK than this one, but a different deal may still be possible - it just turns the UK into a colony of the EU, rather than a priviledged member.

If Brexit is extended by several years I expect there will be none in the end.

McHrozni
Just develop some courage and drop the lunacy.
BTW the UK's EP seats have been reallocated.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:33 AM   #122
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The UK could negotiate the rules on how to leave the EU within the EU parliamentary framework for the next five years.
And then it absolutely could apply to leave again, under the new rules.

At this point, nothing else makes sense.
Not making any sense is what got us into this situation surely it will be what gets us out of it!!!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 08:09 AM   #123
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

BREXIT: "The LEAVE leaflet must win prize for MOST DISHONEST leaflet ever" - Baroness Quin

Hear, hear.
Old 20th March 2019, 08:14 AM   #124
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not making any sense is what got us into this situation surely it will be what gets us out of it!!!
In the negotiations, the UK was on the other side.
As a member, it could set a better framework.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 08:32 AM   #125
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I guess this was what you were after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLPjSST3dI

The quote that followed was just as good. From Hansard:
Quote:
It is true, as the Minister often tells us, that the referendum turnout was impressive, but the result was close and the amount of misinformation—on both sides—was shocking. I recently looked again at the main leave leaflet, which must surely win the prize for the most dishonest leaflet ever issued during a public vote. It struck me that, despite it having been claimed ever since that we voted against being part of the single market, in this main leave leaflet there was not one mention of the single market.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 08:33 AM   #126
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
You mean a serif font?
Serifs and terminators are the preferred terms.
I think you need to adjust windage on your sarcasm detector. Try three clicks left, and one up.

;D
Old 20th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #127
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Well, the British yet again leads the world and provides a great example to others; in how not to try and wind the clock back and live in the past, whilst shooting ones self in the foot.
Whilst proclaiming that being shot in the foot is exactly what half of the population voted for so we would be wrong not to institute compulsory foot shooting for every man, woman and child!
Old 20th March 2019, 08:55 AM   #128
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Jesus. May has just said that the House of Commons has rejected no-deal, Labour's deal and a customs union, so they're all definitely off the table, and then gone on to ask MP's to back her deal. She has not the slightest vestige of either consistency or self-awareness.

Dave
I know I'm like a broken record player, but she is totally consistent if you consider what she is interested in being consistent about, I. E. being PM.
Old 20th March 2019, 08:55 AM   #129
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And France has said they will veto the extension...
Old 20th March 2019, 08:56 AM   #130
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
You only get one shot at a50.
If it is withdrawn we can't re-apply.
Of course we can. There is nothing in the treaty that legally stops a country unilaterally invoking article 50 and revoking it prior to the exit date.
Old 20th March 2019, 09:01 AM   #131
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How lateer is 'later'?

If there weren't restrictions what would stop a50 being used as a constant negotiating tool or for political posturing?
What you often find is that people would have discussed how such an article would be reasonably enacted, I mean which country would enact the article without knowing the extreme consequences and having a plan in place for leaving? No country would be so stupid or niave?
Old 20th March 2019, 09:19 AM   #132
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk, has stated that the EU will only grant a short extension if MP's pass a Brexit deal.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:27 AM   #133
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
And the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk, has stated that the EU will only grant a short extension if MP's pass a Brexit deal.
Christ! He wants the Commons to pass the same deal that’s been rejected. Umm...how?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:29 AM   #134
KDLarsen
Illuminator

So, according to Robert Peston's sources, May will give a statement to the nation tonight. She is currently hosting opposition leaders at No. 10. And given her statement at PMQ's earlier today, that she won't be the PM who takes an extension past June 30, it's no wonder rumours of either a Tory party leadership contest, if not an outright general election, are beginning warming up.
Old 20th March 2019, 09:29 AM   #135
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Christ! He wants the Commons to pass the same deal that’s been rejected. Umm...how?
Bribing MPs with the country's money. (That we were told didn't exist)

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:31 AM   #136
Giz
Philosopher

It’s the EU, getting people to vote again until they give the right answer is standard practice.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:31 AM   #137
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Presumably he's just laying out the options. Pass a brexit deal next week and you get a short extension, because if you don't, then it's either a long extension or a no-deal brexit.
Old 20th March 2019, 09:32 AM   #138
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Good for them. Alas it's not quite that clear cut. Macron will veto a extension without purpose.
However Tusk has stated that if there is a "positive vote" in the the HoC next week "we can finalise and formalise the decision on extension in the written procedure".

So there are three options:
1. The Maybot's deal - rejected twice and not open for a third vote
2. Crash and burn.
3. Abandon the insanity.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:33 AM   #139
catsmate
No longer the 1

If there weren't restrictions what would stop a50 being used as a constant negotiating tool or for political posturing?
Other countries are governed by functioning adults. In general.
Old 20th March 2019, 09:39 AM   #140
Mojo
Mostly harmless

“Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle. "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed. "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.” - Joseph Heller

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 09:53 AM   #141
angrysoba
Philosophile

Presumably he's just laying out the options. Pass a brexit deal next week and you get a short extension, because if you don't, then it's either a long extension or a no-deal brexit.
I don’t see any offer of a long extension from him. The suggestion of a short extension doesn’t look like an inclusive set of options, but an exclusive one. In other words: it’s the deal we offered you or no deal.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 10:14 AM   #142
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I expect the speaker has now really gone beyond the pale and we will see him arrested and detained, he's said the house can sit on Saturday and Sunday!
Old 20th March 2019, 10:39 AM   #143
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I don’t see any offer of a long extension from him. The suggestion of a short extension doesn’t look like an inclusive set of options, but an exclusive one. In other words: it’s the deal we offered you or no deal.
Nobody asked them for a longer deal though. A short extension is all that was requested.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:55 AM   #144
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Courtesy of Twitter

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:35 AM   #145
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Seconded.
Thirded

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:40 AM   #146
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Bribing MPs with the country's money. (That we were told didn't exist)
It doesn't exist for trivial fripperies like paying Nurse's a decent salary, money will be found for vital projects like maintaining May's death grip on the key to number 10.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:54 AM   #147
3point14
Pi

There might be light collateral damage and some good may be thrown out with the bad, but not a one of these MPs should be re-elected. Not one. Clear the ******* house and have a new lot.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 12:04 PM   #148
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Other countries are governed by functioning adults. In general.
Or at least adult criminals...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 12:37 PM   #149
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Allegedly Corbyn walked out of the opposition leaders' meeting with the PM, as the Independent Group was represented, and he doesn't consider them to be part of the opposition.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:38 PM   #150
3point14
Pi

Allegedly Corbyn walked out of the opposition leaders' meeting with the PM, as the Independent Group was represented, and he doesn't consider them to be part of the opposition.

******* children.

Old 20th March 2019, 12:40 PM   #151
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I stand corrected, it was due to them not being a proper party and according to a Labour spokesperson, it wasn't what had been agreed upon before the meeting started.

May is due to give a statement to the nation in half an hours time, should be fun.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:46 PM   #152
3point14
Pi

I stand corrected, it was due to them not being a proper party and according to a Labour spokesperson, it wasn't what had been agreed upon before the meeting started.

May is due to give a statement to the nation in half an hours time, should be fun.

Be still my beating heart...

Old 20th March 2019, 01:32 PM   #153
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
To keep it in the spirit of Parliament it would be sans serif ... but with all those little squiggles and tails on the ends of the letters.

You mean a serif font?
Serifs and terminators are the preferred terms.

Whoosh.

(I didn't think that post was so obscure as to need a sarcasm smiley, but I can see I was wrong.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 01:45 PM   #154
Michel H
Graduate Poster

There might be light collateral damage and some good may be thrown out with the bad, but not a one of these MPs should be re-elected. Not one. Clear the ******* house and have a new lot.
As usual on this forum, you are blaming members of the British parliament, or Theresa May. But much of the current trouble and worries is caused by the (much disliked by the DUP) Irish backstop, imposed by the European Union, which is an attempt to break up and humiliate, and also perhaps "punish" the UK for wanting to exit the Union, and which has always been found unacceptable by the House of Commons (another part of the trouble has also been caused by the people who voted "Leave" in the 2016 referendum, without perhaps realizing all the consequences).

The EU did, however, make recently some concessions on the backstop. This was not overlooked, and probably led to an improvement in the last "meaningful vote" on the withdrawal deal in the Commons: 391 votes against on March 12 versus 432 votes against on January 15. If the EU decided to drop the backstop (or to soften it significantly), I presume Bercow would agree to a third meaningful vote, and many of the current problems would be suddenly solved. It is in the interest of the EU, if it wants to have a long life itself, to be respectful to all its members, past and present (for example, Hungary). The world will not forget those who have been dumb and arrogant.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 01:53 PM   #155
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I'm absolutely baffled. May is going for the 'Are you really, really, REALLY sure you won't back my deal?' route, despite the Commons having rejected it twice already.

And I thought I was hard of hearing, evidently May must have it even worse than me!
Old 20th March 2019, 01:53 PM   #156
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
As usual on this forum, you are blaming members of the British parliament, or Theresa May.The
<much snippage of distortions, half-truths, outright lies and general gibberings>
Yes. Because as usual they're the ones causing the problems with their usual mix of stupidity, veniality, greed sense of entitlement and utter incompetence
Old 20th March 2019, 01:54 PM   #157
This is The End

Am I the only one thinking that she asked for a very narrowly windowed extension knowing full well it would be rejected. Now she can claim "I asked for an extension."
Old 20th March 2019, 02:17 PM   #158
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
As usual on this forum, you are blaming members of the British parliament, or Theresa May. But much of the current trouble and worries is caused by the (much disliked by the DUP) Irish backstop, imposed by the European Union,.
You mean 'proposed by the UK'?
Old 20th March 2019, 02:25 PM   #159
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Quote:
(much disliked by the DUP)
.. but not by the constituents they're meant to represent. But eh, who's counting..
Old 20th March 2019, 02:36 PM   #160
This is The End

The YT link for anyone who needs it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zC6c9gZ-is

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics