ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 21st March 2019, 01:38 PM   #281
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
SOmehow I doubt talking with ISIS is going to save lives.
Good job nobody mentioned them before you did, then.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 01:38 PM   #282
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Finally managed to authenticate signing the petition, as #1,411,868.
Mrs Don and I have been waiting for some time.....

....which prompts the question of how many others haven't been able to.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 01:44 PM   #283
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

If the petition gets to 17 million does it cancel Brexit by default?

I always get a bit dismayed by these petitions which seem to be the ultimate in 'doing something without actually doing anything'
Old 21st March 2019, 01:45 PM   #284
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Mrs Don and I have been waiting for some time.....

....which prompts the question of how many others haven't been able to.
They seem to have rejiggered the website so that it does not auto-refresh as often - maybe every 1/2 hour? It showed no change for a while, then added about 100k votes, and just now added about another 50k - it is at 1,478,382 signatures right now.

So the front-facing website seems stable now, but the actual process of signing the petition might still be a problem.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 01:52 PM   #285
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
They seem to have rejiggered the website so that it does not auto-refresh as often - maybe every 1/2 hour? It showed no change for a while, then added about 100k votes, and just now added about another 50k - it is at 1,478,382 signatures right now.

So the front-facing website seems stable now, but the actual process of signing the petition might still be a problem.
There was one point when the numbers were changing every few seconds without having to refresh the page.

The map view of the data certainly doesn't suggest anything iffy going on, as the hot-spots of higher numbers of signatures are exactly where you'd expect them to be.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 21st March 2019 at 01:55 PM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 02:06 PM   #286
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The problems we had were in waiting a good while to receive the authentication email (which went into junk, but we were expecting that), then many 'Error 502 - bad gateway' messages when clicking the authenticate link. We just left the email open and tried every 20 minutes.
Old 21st March 2019, 02:07 PM   #287
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

On the BBC News just now, in introducing Bob Blackman MP (Con), it was said that he, "represents Harrow East; he voted to Leave originally, and has recently come round to backing [May's] deal." Absent was any mention of the fact that 52.52% of his constituents backed Remain (54.6% in Harrow as a whole). In contrast, Jim Fitzpatrick MP (Lab) was merely described as someone who had previously opposed May's deal, but now supported it. There was no mention that an estimated 65.79% of his constituents voted Remain.
What about Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North?
Old 21st March 2019, 02:18 PM   #288
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Is that a challenge?

Because if you want to make it a competition, we Yanks might just give you Limeys a run for the money.

Which is probably more depressing than funny....
Both governments have already beaten any Czech government by a large margin... (And we had very good entrants)

Quite sane. Those DB queries are not cheap, even if they are seemingly simple counts.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 02:54 PM   #289
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What about Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North?
Looking increasingly tired...
Old 21st March 2019, 03:31 PM   #290
crescent
Master Poster

Finally managed to authenticate signing the petition, as #1,411,868.
Two hours later it is at 2,002,343. Now that they've got the website working again they are getting about 250-300k signatures per hour.

Last edited by crescent; 21st March 2019 at 03:33 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 04:44 PM   #291
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

THE UK gets a postpoment:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47660019

I am betting in a few weeks, we will be at this same crisis point again, with no deal in sight.

I doubt that the MPs are going to pass the negotiated deal this time around.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 21st March 2019 at 04:45 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 04:44 PM   #292
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

This is from Wikipedia: "Brexit is the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, which is scheduled to take place on 22 May 2019 at 11 pm UK time after an extension was granted by the EU on March 21, 2019 contingent on the UK House of Commons approving some form of an exit agreement by 12 April 2019."

Also being reported by multiple news sources in the U.S., including the Washington Post.

Edited to add: "Beat me by this much" in a poor Don Adams imitation.

Last edited by Elvis666; 21st March 2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Beat by a nose by dudalb
Elvis666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 10:29 PM   #293
BadBoy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
I have also always found it a little strange that she seems to have become so passionately pro-Brexit after the referendum which, after all, was won by "Leave" with only a tiny majority of not even 52%, even though she personally chose "Remain". Respecting the people's choice is one thing (and this may indeed be important in a democracy). But avoiding possible economic catastrophe, and a lot of trouble of various kinds is another priority that an important leader like her cannot just ignore and forget.
I make two observations about this whole mess - which have probably been noted before elsewhere:

1. May should never have been tempted to start Article 50 after the general election result giving her a very shaky coalition. I think you would need a strong party in power to make this happen successfully.

2. Clearly there are many ways to leave the EU (many potential deals in the various areas such as Laws, Markets, Currency, Immigration and free movement of individuals etc). Having a referredum based on such a blunt question of leave or remain makes no sense. It should maybe have included a Yes/No for each of these areas, or at least set up for another vote on whatever actual deal is struck at a later date.

3. I have always thought that there should have been set a rule for a clear majority in the referendum, mainly because of the amount of possible month to month sway of peoples opinion - depending whats been going on at any one time. Another referendum now could have a similar swing in the other direction - and then later back again. So to just say "it's the will of the people" is quite wrong IMO. It may have been the will by quite a small margin on that particular day - but what about 2 years ltr based on what circumstances.

Pah, complete balls up from start to finish.

Last edited by BadBoy; 21st March 2019 at 10:30 PM.
BadBoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 10:48 PM   #294
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

So crash out on April 12th if no agreement passed in Parliament - and no longer extension granted - in the meantime?
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:29 AM   #295
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Elvis666 View Post
This is from Wikipedia: "Brexit is the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, which is scheduled to take place on 22 May 2019 at 11 pm UK time after an extension was granted by the EU on March 21, 2019 contingent on the UK House of Commons approving some form of an exit agreement by 12 April 2019."

Also being reported by multiple news sources in the U.S., including the Washington Post.

Edited to add: "Beat me by this much" in a poor Don Adams imitation.
Someone seems to have jumped the gun., the legislation is very clear that at the moment we leave the EU on 29th March.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:33 AM   #296
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
THE UK gets a postpoment:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47660019

I am betting in a few weeks, we will be at this same crisis point again, with no deal in sight.

I doubt that the MPs are going to pass the negotiated deal this time around.
There's a bunch of other stuff they could pass in the meantime. The petition to revoke article 50 attracted 1.5 million new signatures since yesterday noon, when it had 800 thousand, to today 7 a.m. (both London time). Parliament is now supposed to debate it. The petition attracted more signatures in the last 24 hours than any previous petition ever did. This isn't something the elected representatives can simply ignore.

The solution is obvious: vote to hold another referendum. Give five options, no deal, the negotiated deal, a closer relationship than the negotated deal, a looser relationship than the negotiated deal with a customs border in the Irish sea and revoke article 50. Make it a ranked referendum, rank the first four in order.

Also, hand out Wakizashis to the ERG and all others who find the idea of letting the people decide unbearable.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 22nd March 2019 at 01:10 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:01 AM   #297
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
So crash out on April 12th if no agreement passed in Parliament - and no longer extension granted - in the meantime?
Can't they cancel article 50 instead?
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:07 AM   #298
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I was right in my prediction that there would be no Brexit on March 29 at least.

I really think that they should hold another referendum.
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:08 AM   #299
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Can't they cancel article 50 instead?
They could.
It would make sense, it would be good for the country

BUT

it would be political suicide for a few, so it won't happen.

Let your country die for you.
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:10 AM   #300
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I was right in my prediction that there would be no Brexit on March 29 at least.

We're still leaving on the 29th unless parliament agrees to the terms of the delay......
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:12 AM   #301
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

My issue with that is if people were smarter a few years ago, brexit would have been rejected. A smarter electorate would need only one vote. But that means dumber votes would be getting more chances to vote than smarter ones. They get more democracy, in a sense.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:31 AM   #302
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
They could.
It would make sense, it would be good for the country

BUT

it would be political suicide for a few, so it won't happen.

Let your country die for you.
Theresa May’s career is over and her party is probably finished too. She might as well throw herself on the grenade.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:43 AM   #303
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I make two observations about this whole mess - which have probably been noted before elsewhere:

1. May should never have been tempted to start Article 50 after the general election result giving her a very shaky coalition. I think you would need a strong party in power to make this happen successfully.
It's worse than that, she called a General Election after triggering Article 50. On top of that, Brexit didn't even feature much as a topic of debate during the campaign.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:43 AM   #304
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

The petition is currently at 2.6 million, it grew by 2 million in 24 hours. At this rate it's believable the Parliament will be facing five million signatures next week.
You can't ignore this and rant about "will of the people". You have to choose, it's one or the other.

McHrozni
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:45 AM   #305
Tolls
Illuminator

So, if I've understood this correctly, if the third vote fails, then (assuming the legislation is quickly amended, which I expect it to be) Parliament gets til the 12th April to come up with a way forward which (outisde of outright ditching Article 50, or dropping out) would result in a longer extension in order to facilitate whatever the solution is (eg a referendum).

Does the sound right?

I'm ignoring the possibility of May's deal being voted through as I think that is even more unlikely now than it was yesterday.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:51 AM   #306
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
So, if I've understood this correctly, if the third vote fails, then (assuming the legislation is quickly amended, which I expect it to be) Parliament gets til the 12th April to come up with a way forward which (outisde of outright ditching Article 50, or dropping out) would result in a longer extension in order to facilitate whatever the solution is (eg a referendum).

Does the sound right?
Yup. Although Parliament begins Easter recess on April 5th, so they only have a week to get their feces together. That should be plenty, there aren't that many options to choose from (referendum or election), only one of which would provide a useful answer (the referendum).

Quote:
I'm ignoring the possibility of May's deal being voted through as I think that is even more unlikely now than it was yesterday.
It'll probably get another spot in the top 10 of worst defeats of a government. Maybe even the coveted top spot itself.

McHrozni
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:56 AM   #307
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
There's a bunch of other stuff they could pass in the meantime. The petition to revoke article 50 attracted 1.5 million new signatures since yesterday noon, when it had 800 thousand, to today 7 a.m. (both London time). Parliament is now supposed to debate it. The petition attracted more signatures in the last 24 hours than any previous petition ever did. This isn't something the elected representatives can simply ignore.
I wouldn't put money on that.
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:04 AM   #308
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
We're still leaving on the 29th unless parliament agrees to the terms of the delay......
Going on current form, it would take three years to negotiate the terms of the delay.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:14 AM   #309
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I wouldn't put money on that.
Given that TM has already clearly stated her intention of ignoring it, neither would I. After all, when TM says she's going to do something...

Hang on, there may be a problem with my reasoning there.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:24 AM   #310
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Liked this. For those unfamiliar with the works of the great Bernard Cribbens this is the the tune it's set to:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

“Right, ” said May “Gonna have a Brexit
Strong and simples, steady as we go”
Went to Brussels, tried to flex her muscles
She was getting nowhere
And so she had a cuppa tea and

“Right, ” said May “Give a shout for Boris”
“Rah!” say Boris “this won’t take a mo!”
Told them “whistle”, made the EU bristle
He was getting nowhere
And so we had a cuppa tea

Now the PM had a think
And she thought we ought
To find someone to save us
So she called for David Davis
But he did no good
Did she really think he would?

“Right ” said May “DUP is needed
Call up Arlene, bung her lots of dough”
What a giggle, made the PM wriggle
Should have got her somewhere but no!
So May said “Let’s have another cuppa tea.”
And we said, “right-o”

“Right, ” said May, “Gonna need a backstop
Irish border, keep the status quo”
Her idea bit her in the rear
And it got her nowhere
And so we had a cuppa tea and

“Right, ” said May “Here’s the ultimatum
Vote this through coz it’s our final throw”
Croaky throat too, couldn’t get the vote through
She was getting nowhere
And so we had a cuppa tea.

Jacob had a think, and he said, “Look chaps
I get a sort of feeling
If we can slip no deal in
With a bribe or two we could force our Brexit through.”

“Right!” said May, loading up a shotgun
Peace and progress – everything must go
Was she in trouble, emptied both barrels,
Shot herself in both feet again!
So suck it and see but you musn’t blame me
I voted remain
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:33 AM   #311
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Liked this. For those unfamiliar with the works of the great Bernard Cribbens this is the the tune it's set to:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

“Right, ” said May “Gonna have a Brexit
Strong and simples, steady as we go”
Went to Brussels, tried to flex her muscles
She was getting nowhere
And so she had a cuppa tea and

Old 22nd March 2019, 02:55 AM   #312
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

EU agreed extension to 22nd May if MPs agree next week to PM May's deal. Otherwise extension to 12th April to come up with something else.

The EU want May's deal because of all the options at the moment it is the best deal for them. No deal is bad and the EU do not want the UK to get more time to try and negotiate a deal that is better for the UK as, obviously, the EU wants it to be worse not being in the EU than being in the EU.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:02 AM   #313
wobs
Graduate Poster

Top marks Pixel42!
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:04 AM   #314
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
EU agreed extension to 22nd May if MPs agree next week to PM May's deal. Otherwise extension to 12th April to come up with something else.

The EU want May's deal because of all the options at the moment it is the best deal for them. No deal is bad and the EU do not want the UK to get more time to try and negotiate a deal that is better for the UK as, obviously, the EU wants it to be worse not being in the EU than being in the EU.
it's not negotiating that the UK is doing - it's holding its breath until it gets another sweetie.
Why do 27 other countries have to give in, when they have nothing to gain?
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:11 AM   #315
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
No deal is bad and the EU do not want the UK to get more time to try and negotiate a deal that is better for the UK [...]
Based on the performance of the UK's negotiating team so far, they should be fine with a 21-month extension.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:11 AM   #316
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it's not negotiating that the UK is doing - it's holding its breath until it gets another sweetie.
Why do 27 other countries have to give in, when they have nothing to gain?
The UK ruling class is more used to bullying that negotiating to their their way. The UK had already extracted numerous concessions for being in the EU, such as the rebate, not in Schengen, not in the Euro etc etc.

The MPs are now learning the hard way that they cannot bully any more and May's deal is crap because we cannot bully benefits for UK any more.

The rest of the MPs are deluded to think that they can do any better, especially when they cannot agree a consensus.

If we do leave with no deal, we then have to negotiate a new deal (a point missed by many) which we will likely loose as our position is going to be far weaker than the EU's.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:16 AM   #317
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Based on the performance of the UK's negotiating team so far, they should be fine with a 21-month extension.

Dave
The longer the negotiations go on for, the weaker the UK becomes, as the present splits will worsen as the Independent Group grows larger and the Tories and Labour fracture. Pressure will also grow on tired MPs to get on with other business.

The present petition to scrap brexit, which is not being matched by one to keep going and the farce that was Farages march for brexit, shows support for leaving is draining away rapidly.

Cancelling brexit is the lifeboat presently floating past Parliament.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:18 AM   #318
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
If the petition gets to 17 million does it cancel Brexit by default?
One of the Tory politicians said yesterday when the signatures were under a million that they would only pay attention to it after there were 17.4m signatures.

Quote:
I always get a bit dismayed by these petitions which seem to be the ultimate in 'doing something without actually doing anything'
The point is to provide a counter-narrative to the "will of the people".
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:20 AM   #319
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This isn't something the elected representatives can simply ignore.
You can't ignore this and rant about "will of the people".
I bet they can.
Old 22nd March 2019, 03:20 AM   #320
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Because the Brexit mess is the fault of May, UK parliamentarians and the UK populace.
This. Absolutely this.

ETA and external influences. But all the many errors have been unforced ones.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics