ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th June 2019, 04:27 PM   #3001
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You have no evidence it is corrupt.
We have a SENIOR ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT whose company is getting 10's of millions of dollars in funding from sources that are hiding their identities, but some are known to be foreigners. This SENIOR ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT also happens to be married to the president's favorite daughter. Yes, I do consider it to be corruption for a person in such a position to have business ventures with anonymous foreigners (who likely have connections to foreign governments). "Corruption" is not limited to activities that are explicitly illegal.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 11th June 2019 at 04:28 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:31 PM   #3002
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
Why is it i bristle everytime i see that: "Our Patriot Farmers". What about us "Patriot Estimators" or "Patriot Engineers" or even "Patriot Production Control" people? Huh?
And are patriots fruits or vegetables?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:34 PM   #3003
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
We have a SENIOR ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT whose company is getting 10's of millions of dollars in funding from sources that are hiding their identities, but some are known to be foreigners. This SENIOR ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT also happens to be married to the president's favorite daughter. Yes, I do consider it to be corruption for a person in such a position to have business ventures with anonymous foreigners (who likely have connections to foreign governments). "Corruption" is not limited to activities that are explicitly illegal.
Someone has told you about Bob right?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:35 PM   #3004
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why is it i bristle everytime i see that: "Our Patriot Farmers". What about us "Patriot Estimators" or "Patriot Engineers" or even "Patriot Production Control" people? Huh?
That's what they call them in China and in the old Soviet Union.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Every time he uses "Great Patriot____________" he reminds me of the typical Soviet Russia rhetoric.
Yep.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th June 2019 at 04:42 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 04:37 PM   #3005
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Says the man who single-handedly destroyed the American soybean industry.
Shhhh... Don't look behind the curtain.
Old 11th June 2019, 04:39 PM   #3006
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The document is here.

Quite a few banks, railroad companies, and corporations.
Corporations are people, apparently. The scuttlebutt is they know it's almost the same as NAFTA.
Old 11th June 2019, 04:45 PM   #3007
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Don't forget the valiant and patriotic sex workers who bravely pee on each other for the entertainment of presidents.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 05:48 PM   #3008
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump's bitch boy Barr (what do you call the bitch boy of a Russian whore? hmm...) must be a bit worried about his contempt citation. He's starting to make threats. I guess they hit him in a soft spot.
I get the feeling he is sensitive to what other lawyers think of him. A lawyer who ignores the rule of law is a kind of traitor. That he acts like it just doesn't matter is not going to increase his professional standing.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:15 PM   #3009
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I get the feeling he is sensitive to what other lawyers think of him. A lawyer who ignores the rule of law is a kind of traitor. That he acts like it just doesn't matter is not going to increase his professional standing.
He was still working as a lawyer when he betrayed his country and sold out to Trump. He may not be welcomed back by respectable lawyers who follow the rule of law and remained loyal to the nation.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:16 PM   #3010
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Remember when Trump said he was going to fight for LGBTQ rights around the world? I guess the support is going to be covert.

Administration bans US embassies from displaying rainbow flags during Pride Month.
That was shortly after taking multiple high-profile moves against the T part of LGBT and over, say, 100 cases of very clearly showing that they are not showing actual solidarity with the LGBT community. Still, it actually is telling that I can't refute the related claim that this is the most LGBT-friendly Republican administration in history.
Old 11th June 2019, 06:19 PM   #3011
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The moment Barr runs into legal trouble, Trump will drop him like he's hot. Trump doesn't associate with losers, and Barr will realise that Donny's promises of support are as hollow as his head. Trump will say that he never liked Barr after all, probably because he couldn't even get coffee (covfefe?) satisfactorily.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:27 PM   #3012
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

There is a logical reason for criminalizing the appearance of corruption. It is very difficult to identify corrupt intent, so it is easy to ban both. However, that does ban things that appear corrupt but are not actually corrupt.

What people then do is conflate corruption with the appearance of corruption.

Corruption is having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain. You have no idea if Kushner is acting dishonesty because of this arrangement.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 06:56 PM   #3013
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

There is a logical reason for criminalizing the appearance of corruption. It is very difficult to identify corrupt intent, so it is easy to ban both. However, that does ban things that appear corrupt but are not actually corrupt.

What people then do is conflate corruption with the appearance of corruption.

Corruption is having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain. You have no idea if Kushner is acting dishonesty because of this arrangement.
He is making personal gains for himself by virtue of his office. That is specifically illegal in the USA for public officers.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:04 PM   #3014
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

And letís not forget Tom Brady and the great Patriot Patriots!
Old 11th June 2019, 07:22 PM   #3015
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I'll pay Trump a million dollars for each of these books he has actually read.
Won't help, he'll lie and just claim he read it. After all, lying liars are know to lie...ÖÖ..

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:22 PM   #3016
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He is making personal gains for himself by virtue of his office. That is specifically illegal in the USA for public officers.
Based on the article provided, you don't know if the deal was because of his office. It could be independent of it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:26 PM   #3017
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

Trump's bitch boy Barr (what do you call the bitch boy of a Russian whore? hmm...) must be a bit worried about his contempt citation. He's starting to make threats. I guess they hit him in a soft spot.
His brain seems mighty soft and I heard he used to work in a peg house!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 07:27 PM   #3018
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Based on the article provided, you don't know if the deal was because of his office. It could be independent of it.
Sure, Bob.
Old 11th June 2019, 07:43 PM   #3019
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, Bob.
Your the side claiming it is corruption. I'm rejecting that claim, what piece of information reveals that it was about his position?
Old 11th June 2019, 08:35 PM   #3020
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Your the side claiming it is corruption. I'm rejecting that claim, what piece of information reveals that it was about his position?
Even if you only got news and information from the forum you'd know these guys aren't exactly hiding their corruption. It's more like shoving it in people's faces with contempt.

Have you tried Googling "Kushner corrupt" or Kushner profiteering"?
Old 11th June 2019, 08:59 PM   #3021
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
And letís not forget Tom Brady and the great Patriot Patriots!
And our patriot comedians.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:06 PM   #3022
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I guess Kushner falls that very narrow sweet spot. He is just competent enough to hold the highest Security clearance as he does his job, but he is just incompetent enough that no one need accuse him of of wrong-doing when he absent-mindedly leaves multi-million-dollar connections to foreign entities off his security application (amongst other million-dollar “mistakes.”)
Old 11th June 2019, 09:31 PM   #3023
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Even if you only got news and information from the forum you'd know these guys aren't exactly hiding their corruption. It's more like shoving it in people's faces with contempt.

Have you tried Googling "Kushner corrupt" or Kushner profiteering"?
I don't reject all claims that Kushner is corrupt. We are talking about a specific incident.
Old 11th June 2019, 09:33 PM   #3024
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Every time he uses "Great Patriot____________" he reminds me of the typical Soviet Russia rhetoric.
And are patriots fruits or vegetables?
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's what they call them in China and in the old Soviet Union.

Yep.
Don't forget the valiant and patriotic sex workers who bravely pee on each other for the entertainment of presidents.
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
And let’s not forget Tom Brady and the great Patriot Patriots!
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And our patriot comedians.
And the rather exclusive group that Donald J. Trump and I belong to.... "Our Great Patriot Draft Dodgers".

Be very suspicious when puppet masters call you a Great Patriot Anything. They're playing up the "give up a lot for your country" angle. In Trumpspeak calling someone or some group "Great Patriot XXXXX" means "we just bent you over a stool and had our way with you, thanks for your service".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2019, 10:26 PM   #3025
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

What is this "sides" nonsense? If he was a Democrat he would be equally suspicious. The only "side" inthis is the Trump side. You, me and everyone else are being screwed by these people.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 11th June 2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:38 PM   #3026
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What is this "sides" nonsense? If he was a Democrat he would be equally suspicious. The only "side" inthis is the Trump side. You, me and everyone else are being screwed by these people.
Your side is the position of asserting a claim.
Old 11th June 2019, 10:46 PM   #3027
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Your side is the position of asserting a claim.
1. Looks like a duck.
2. Smells like a duck.
3. Quacks like a duck.
4. Waddles like a duck.
5. It has duck feathers.
6. It lays duck eggs.

So obviously it is a giraffe.

Pull the other one, Bob. It's got bells on.
Old 11th June 2019, 11:11 PM   #3028
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
And the rather exclusive group that Donald J. Trump and I belong to.... "Our Great Patriot Draft Dodgers".

Be very suspicious when puppet masters call you a Great Patriot Anything. They're playing up the "give up a lot for your country" angle. In Trumpspeak calling someone or some group "Great Patriot XXXXX" means "we just bent you over a stool and had our way with you, thanks for your service".
If he picks a fight with Iran, will he call it the Great Patriotic War?
Old 12th June 2019, 03:38 AM   #3029
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
If he picks a fight with Iran, will he call it the Great Patriotic War?
Only if he wins it.

If he doesn't or even if it all goes badly, he will bug out and it will all be Obama's fault. Or the Democrat's fault. Or the military's fault. Or Nancy Pelosi's fault. Or Mexico's fault. Or Puerto Rico's fault... Basically, anybody else's fault but him. He was against it always right from the start.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:52 AM   #3030
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Only if he wins it.
what would be the definition of winning a war against Iran?
Old 12th June 2019, 04:37 AM   #3031
jeremyp
Muse

Didn't he repeatedly lie on his application form to get a security clearance?
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:00 AM   #3032
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wow! Just got word that our June 18th, Tuesday, ANNOUNCEMENT in Orlando, Florida, already has 74,000 requests for a 20,000 seat Arena. With all of the big events that we have done, this tickets looks to be the “hottest” of them all. See you in Florida!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 05:00 AM   #3033
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
He is corrupt. But the question is if he was corrupt because of a specific incident.
Old 12th June 2019, 05:28 AM   #3034
Armitage72
Master Poster

Continuing his normal security practices, Trump boasted of a "secret agreement" with Mexico and waved around a document containing the agreement, enabling reporters to photograph the contents.

Quote:
President Trump has claimed for two days that he secured a secret immigration deal with Mexico — beyond the one announced Friday. But the White House has declined to disclose any details, and Mexico has denied it. Confronted with understandable skepticism that such a deal exists, Trump produced a folded piece of paper from his breast pocket Tuesday.

And a particularly good photographer, The Washington Post’s Jabin Botsford, snapped an image that reveals some of the document’s contents.

It's notable that the document isn't signed by heads of state, diplomats, or ambassadors. The signatures are from an acting legal adviser in the U.S. State Department and a deputy legal adviser in Mexico’s Foreign Ministry.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:08 AM   #3035
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
You don't have evidence that he lied.

You have an event.

Your explanation for the event is that he lied.

The event itself is not evidence for the explanation. You need evidence for the explanation.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:31 AM   #3036
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
So President Trump is praising a letter that says he was full of **** when he described NAFTA as the worst trade deal in the history of this country (Sept 2016).

Yeah, that's par for the course.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:49 AM   #3037
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You don't have evidence that he lied.

You have an event.

Your explanation for the event is that he lied.

The event itself is not evidence for the explanation. You need evidence for the explanation.
Yes, there is evidence.
When you submit your application, you sign that you haven't left anything of relevance out.
Kushner had to re-submit multiple times due to missing information about foreign contacts, ergo he lied when he said his application was complete.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:53 AM   #3038
Worm
Master Poster

edit: oops, wrong thread

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:08 AM   #3039
Paul2
Philosopher

Not that you'd necessarily disagree, but it's precisely that we can't know if the deal was because of his office that Kushner's situation is a problem.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:29 AM   #3040
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Yes, there is evidence.
When you submit your application, you sign that you haven't left anything of relevance out.
Kushner had to re-submit multiple times due to missing information about foreign contacts, ergo he lied when he said his application was complete.
This is what I don't get.
I'm pretty sure that if any other (aka ordinary) person did that they would never have got clearance after the first "forgetful" moment, let alone multiple ones.

Actually, I lie. I do get it, but consider it something of a flaw with the system.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics