ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:02 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm not sure it should be their job to keep out false news. Before facebook, 99.9% of the internet was already crap. It's the social media algorithms that auto-feed people more of what they already like that's changing things for the worse, if anything. They just need to knock that stuff off.
Which suggests they are playing a part that they might want to reexamine.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:12 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Not to mention explaining why it seems to target the American right.
Do you seriously need an explanation give the current state of politics in this country?

The extreme right wing has for years been fed a diet of dishonest messages telling them they are being ripped off, forced to deny their god beliefs, losing their freedom, invaded by brown people, their guns will be confiscated, death panels for grandma, and on and on.

Which BTW, suggests that it isn't just FB and Russian trolls. The GOP's heavy use of dishonest propaganda is also a contributor. And I'm not talking about your basic right wing politics. I'm talking about the fear mongering that is out of control, and messages like DrTriller was a murderer and needed to be taken out, messages like Bundy isn't over-grazing on public lands he's merely taking something he believes he personally owns.

The only way to defeat political messages like those is to expose them and expose the tactics.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:37 PM   #43
xjx388
Philosopher

Does anyone have some good examples of the kind of “Fake News,” being discussed? I’m on FB and I do see some BS stuff being passed around: anti-vax, religious propaganda, political opinion, etc. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 7th May 2019, 07:02 PM   #44
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you seriously need an explanation give the current state of politics in this country?
No, I do not need one. Nor was one asked for. We have already seen these kinds of questions asked by Trump and supporters following bans on accounts.

Quote:
The extreme right wing has for years been fed a diet of dishonest messages telling them they are being ripped off, forced to deny their god beliefs, losing their freedom, invaded by brown people, their guns will be confiscated, death panels for grandma, and on and on.

Which BTW, suggests that it isn't just FB and Russian trolls. The GOP's heavy use of dishonest propaganda is also a contributor. And I'm not talking about your basic right wing politics. I'm talking about the fear mongering that is out of control, and messages like DrTriller was a murderer and needed to be taken out, messages like Bundy isn't over-grazing on public lands he's merely taking something he believes he personally owns.
Quote:
The only way to defeat political messages like those is to expose them and expose the tactics.
Taking away the platform could also be effective.
Old 7th May 2019, 07:56 PM   #45
carlitos
"más divertido"

How can social media tackle more false news more quickly?

Oh right, ignore the book because she left out quote marks and made a few errors. She was on CSPAN and it was discussed, at length.

You can go read or not read whatever you want. I'm halfway through the book and the history of how print media changed and the evolution from Google (you search) to FaceBook (someone shares with you) I find fascinating. I am quite capable of assessing a book despite flaws rather than simply accusing the author like we might dismiss out of hand anything Limbaugh or Jones said.

Straight from your second link: Like I said...

Your interpretation of the Guardian article is wanting.

You should actually read the article instead of just the headline.
FYI means “for your information.” I am well aware of a lot more of the detail of the author’s dissembling and her plagiarism and errors. I linked the articles for your convenience. You’re welcome.

Last edited by carlitos; 7th May 2019 at 08:01 PM.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 08:37 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
No, I do not need one. Nor was one asked for. We have already seen these kinds of questions asked by Trump and supporters following bans on accounts.
Apparently I misunderstood your comment then. Sorry.
Old 7th May 2019, 08:41 PM   #47
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
FYI means “for your information.” I am well aware of a lot more of the detail of the author’s dissembling and her plagiarism and errors. I linked the articles for your convenience. You’re welcome.
As am I because I listened to her talk about it at length on CSPAN. The Guardian article supports what she said happened. You seem to think it was some evil plot to present stolen work. Yet you provided a source, FYI, that supported what I said.
Old 8th May 2019, 10:16 AM   #48
xjx388
Philosopher

As am I because I listened to her talk about it at length on CSPAN. The Guardian article supports what she said happened. You seem to think it was some evil plot to present stolen work. Yet you provided a source, FYI, that supported what I said.
This is probably a one in a million type of thing, but you and Trump agree on something . . .
Old 8th May 2019, 12:06 PM   #49
catsmate
No longer the 1

She plagiarized and got a bunch of stuff wrong about Vice media in that book, just FYI. Which is pretty ironic in a book by a NYT editor about how young turks are ruining the journalism.
There are allegations of plagiarism, not yet proven. Sloppy writing practice certainly.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 12:38 PM   #50
carlitos
"más divertido"

"Ignore the book" and "evil plot" are your words, not mine. You're as well-informed a reader as can be. Enjoy the book.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 12:41 PM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"Ignore the book" and "evil plot" are your words, not mine. You're as well-informed a reader as can be. Enjoy the book.
I am, thank you. I think the history of how fast changes came to the news community and how they affect the news we are getting offers some critical insights into the fake news/social media phenomena.
Old 11th May 2019, 07:40 PM   #52
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Jacinda Ardern's letter to the New York Times, published Saturday 11 May 2019.

Jacinda Ardern: How to Stop the Next Christchurch Massacre
Social media needs reform. No one should be able to broadcast mass murder.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/o...ial-media.html

"I am leading, with President Emmanuel Macron of France, a gathering in Paris on Wednesday not just for politicians and heads of state but also the leaders of technology companies. We may have our differences, but none of us wants to see digital platforms used for terrorism.

"Our aim may not be simple, but it is clearly focused: to end terrorist and violent extremist content online. This can succeed only if we collaborate.

"Numerous world leaders have committed to going to Paris, and the tech industry says it is open to working more closely with us on this issue — and I hope they do. This is not about undermining or limiting freedom of speech. It is about these companies and how they operate."

[...]

"Social media connects people. And so we must ensure that in our attempts to prevent harm that we do not compromise the integral pillar of society that is freedom of expression.

"But that right does not include the freedom to broadcast mass murder.

"And so, New Zealand will present a call to action in the name of Christchurch, asking both nations and private corporations to make changes to prevent the posting of terrorist content online, to ensure its efficient and fast removal and to prevent the use of live-streaming as a tool for broadcasting terrorist attacks. We also hope to see more investment in research into technology that can help address these issues."
Old 12th May 2019, 11:36 AM   #53
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FTFY
Well done!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:24 AM   #54
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
A forced 5min delay between reading something and being able to share it might solve 90% of the problem.
I like this idea.

It's been less than 5 minutes since I read this post, though.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 09:20 PM   #55
Orphia Nay
Tagger

On March 30 I posted about an investigation into Facebook's outsourced content reviewers in Arizona:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/1...itions-arizona

Now, Facebook have just announced wage rises and improved care for content moderators:

https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/05...g-contractors/

Not sure if this also covers outsourced content moderation centres.
Old 15th May 2019, 01:19 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
FTFY
Or just take both MSNBC and FOX News with a ton of salt.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2019, 02:13 PM   #57
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Or just take both MSNBC and FOX News with a ton of salt.
There's a difference between a lot of political opinion leaning left and a ton of falsehoods leaning right.
Old 16th May 2019, 08:43 PM   #58
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Iran disinfo uncovered:
https://citizenlab.ca/2019/05/burned...tion-campaign/

Israel disinfo uncovered:
https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/05...r-from-israel/

Counterpoint:
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...qON2RM.twitter

"To be strategically effective, disinformation must somehow overcome three powerful obstacles: first, the fundamental uncertainty that international anarchy generates over any information broadcasted by adversaries; second, the pre-existing prejudices of foreign policy elites and ordinary citizens; and third, the countermeasures that are available even amid political polarisation. I examine the most likely case of there seemingly being a conscious and effective strategy that emphasises disinformation: the Russian campaign that has targeted the Baltic states, especially since the 2014 annexation of Crimea. The available evidence strongly suggests that the strategic effects of disinformation are exaggerated."
Old 16th May 2019, 08:46 PM   #59
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Omitted this from yesterday:

https://www.christchurchcall.com/

"The Christchurch Call is a commitment by Governments and tech companies to eliminate terrorist and violent extremist content online. It rests on the conviction that a free, open and secure internet offers extraordinary benefits to society. Respect for freedom of expression is fundamental. However, no one has the right to create and share terrorist and violent extremist content online."

"New Zealand and France will take the Christchurch Call to other countries, organisations and companies, and advance its goals in other fora. We will come together again at UN Leaders’ Week later this year, where we expect some meaningful progress will have been made on this issue.

"The Call was adopted at the meeting by France, New Zealand, Canada, Indonesia, Ireland, Jordan, Norway, Senegal, the UK, and the European Commission as well as Amazon, Facebook, Dailymotion, Google, Microsoft, Qwant, Twitter, and YouTube."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal