ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th May 2019, 01:28 AM   #41
dann
Philosopher

Melania as the best case scenario will probably make most women immediately give up on the idea of prostitution as a career opportunity. Some johns (or dons) are just so bad that drugs don't help ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 01:59 AM   #42
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Melania as the best case scenario will probably make most women immediately give up on the idea of prostitution as a career opportunity. Some johns (or dons) are just so bad that drugs don't help ...
It's only the best case scenario in terms of return on investment and risk of violence.

You're talking millions of Dollars for being a trophy wife to a man she'll likely outlive by decades.

Reportedly Melania cried when Donald won the election. Probably because she knows the secret service will check his food for rat poison, pushing her retirement at least four years into the future.
Old 14th May 2019, 03:52 AM   #43
dann
Philosopher

But what if he lives as long as Rupert Murdoch?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:14 AM   #44
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It's true. One of the worst misfortunes of prostitution is that sex workers are deemed subhuman from multiple sides. Not just by the obvious opponents of prostitution and law enforcement, but by a sizeable chunk of their own customer base, which one might expect would be their allies.

I remember watching some documentary about "Sugar Babies" in which some woman described disliking it. With prostitution, there's a single transaction. Sugar Babies said they had to be ready at any and all times to go anywhere. They had to keep up their bodies, their grooming and their wardrobes. The women said it was exhausting, with no clear physical boundaries.

I don't object to sex work, but I object to unmonitored sex work without sufficient protections for lower-status individual.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:40 AM   #45
dann
Philosopher

In my opinion, "sufficient protections" would require the eliminations of the lower status that poverty imposes upon people. People should be free to choose whom they sleep with. The decision to sleep with somebody you find unappealing shouldn't be poverty.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:00 AM   #46
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Some years ago there was a big story in Germany of the female heir to BMW cars falling for the charms of a purported 'Gigolo'. The guy in question would hang around expensive hotels and clubs, contact rich women, wrap them around his finger and get them to hand over huge amounts of cash.

BMW-cougar was about to transfer millions of Euros when her kids intervened.

I was expecting the guy to look like Brad Pitt in Troy or something. Instead, his looks were a lot closer to Louis CK.

So yeah, people skills.
Thank you. Glad someone on this forum knows what people skills are.
Old 15th May 2019, 08:15 AM   #47
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But what if he lives as long as Rupert Murdoch?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Then she gets to have many happy years living in an opulent golden apartment with a senile yet assertive Donald Trump. And what more could one want out of life?
Old 15th May 2019, 08:23 AM   #48
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
I remember watching some documentary about "Sugar Babies" in which some woman described disliking it. With prostitution, there's a single transaction. Sugar Babies said they had to be ready at any and all times to go anywhere. They had to keep up their bodies, their grooming and their wardrobes. The women said it was exhausting, with no clear physical boundaries.

I don't object to sex work, but I object to unmonitored sex work without sufficient protections for lower-status individual.
Easily avoided by not joining a sugar baby platform.

It's the modern form of mistress, I guess. So the woman has to play a role when around her patron. And to keep that up, you'll have to avoid being boring (he already has a wife with who he has to discuss mundane stuff). So be sexy, stylish, adventurous, smart, presentable etc. More work, but you have a personal relationship and it could lead to getting some real estate out of it, or even an inheritance.

Must be exhausting though. Usually, people give up playing the perfect partner after a few dates.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events