ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th May 2019, 08:31 PM   #121
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I asume he was either drunk or drugged - he should have just said he was pissed when he posted, was seeking help with his drinking, and because he was pissed failed to realise the racist connotations and would be immediately attending more diversity training. I would then send Alexei Sayle to have a fat bastard to fat bastard conversation with him.
Being drunk is an excuse for being a racist clod? Why?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 08:34 PM   #122
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What exactly is the non-racist interpretation of this?
Good question.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 08:41 PM   #123
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

It's funny how many people around the world are just obsessed with the British royals. Other countries have vestigial monarchies too, but not many people seem to care much about them. The British royals, though. It's hard to escape news about them, even in other countries. There seems to be a lot of vicious gossip, too. Supposedly there's a "feud" between Kate and Meghan. Who knows why. I suspect it's just the fiction of gossip rags doing what they do to sell their tabloids and drive traffic to their websites. Nothing more. But it isn't just limited to those traditionally gossipy tabloids anymore. It has creeped into more traditional news media, probably because they have discovered that readers have a big appetite for this sort of "news". So it's a bit hard to totally avoid it.
Old 12th May 2019, 09:43 PM   #124
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What exactly is the non-racist interpretation of this?
The one Baker gave. There was no racism, intended or otherwise.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 11:49 PM   #125
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Gawd some people need a life.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:24 AM   #126
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Wait a minute - Princess Markle is black????
... and not even a princess???

I wonder if they were thinking of Musical Youth when determining her title, First of Her Name?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:58 AM   #127
Tolls
Illuminator

In case people were wondering about the use of chimps/monkeys when referring to kids in the UK, there's currently and advert for More Than insurance. It's a kids party in the garden with bouncy castles and music etc. Then the power goes off, and they replace all the kids with those wind up monkey toys with the cymbals, and food chucked everywhere.

That's sort of humour Baker was getting at. A kid's a kid. Posh ones are just dressed nicer.

Of course, that doesn't let him off being rather dim on this front...but it's Baker, and he doesn't always think before he opens his gob. He'll get another gig without too much fuss.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 01:04 AM   #128
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I don't think Baker is a racist, I think he posted what he thought was a funny picture without thinking and the speed with which he removed it seems to agree with that. I think it's a bit much to sack him for this although he has a track record so he might have been on thin ice already. I think what Sugar did is worse, I think what Farage does is worse, I think there are plenty other worse people that the BBC give a platform to regularly.

I mean at the end of the day it's not like he did something really awful like dress up in a Nazi uniform to attend a fancy dress party.
Old 13th May 2019, 04:36 AM   #129
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I don't think Baker is a racist, I think he posted what he thought was a funny picture without thinking and the speed with which he removed it seems to agree with that. I think it's a bit much to sack him for this although he has a track record so he might have been on thin ice already. I think what Sugar did is worse, I think what Farage does is worse, I think there are plenty other worse people that the BBC give a platform to regularly.

I mean at the end of the day it's not like he did something really awful like dress up in a Nazi uniform to attend a fancy dress party.
Old 13th May 2019, 05:03 AM   #130
3point14
Pi

I realise it's posisble to fix more than one issue at a time, but

"Only one black British student was admitted to Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 2015, 2016 and 2017 collectively."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...quiry-20-years

If I were to choose one of the Baker thing or the above to ocupy the newpapers for this length of time, let's have the proper issue of racism within UK society, not a witch hunt based on a celebrity failing to think like a racist before publishing. (I don't want to have to ape a racist in my thinking before saying or writing stuff. I don't want to have to edit for 'what the worst way this could be perceived if I really twist my brain to be a total Farage' before writing. How much language do we want to concede to only be used by racists and twitter twits?)

This is what comes of journalism though twitter searches.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 13th May 2019 at 05:05 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 05:08 AM   #131
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Tend to agree with this

But as I said earlier, kind of deserves to be ditched for being so incredibly dumb.

The Harry Nazi uniform is a good point, but then he got crap for that as well
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 06:22 AM   #132
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

When you're making silly jokes about royalty, it might not even cross your mind that people could interpret what you're doing as punching down instead of up.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 06:33 AM   #133
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Tend to agree with this

But as I said earlier, kind of deserves to be ditched for being so incredibly dumb.

The Harry Nazi uniform is a good point, but then he got crap for that as well
Did he get sacked?
Old 13th May 2019, 06:44 AM   #134
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Three sources I never read. I was vaguely aware that there had been some grumblings about online abuse, but assumed it was just the usual stuff royals and/or their girl/boyfriends seem to attract. I paid as much attention to it as would it if had been some footballer complaining about people trolling their WAG, i.e. very little.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th May 2019 at 06:49 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:26 AM   #135
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That chimps and monkeys are often used as a caricature of human beings?

I have friends who call their (white) daughter "Monkey". They started it when she was a baby. Now she is six years old, but it has stuck with her. Are we being racist when we call her "Monkey".

Come to think of it, I don't know the child's name. I only ever refer to her as "Monkey".

I think the non-racist version of the comment is that he had forgotten that Meghan Markle was, by some definitions, black. Therefore, it didn't occur to him that he was referring to a black child as a chimp. He just thought he was referring to a child as a chimp, just as my friends do.
Who calls a child a monkey before they start moving and climbing though? That is just weird, and racism makes more sense than this weird calling a newborn a monkey, I mean come on they need to be able to hold their head up before they start climbing on things.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:30 AM   #136
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Who calls a child a monkey before they start moving and climbing though? That is just weird, and racism makes more sense than this weird calling a newborn a monkey, I mean come on they need to be able to hold their head up before they start climbing on things.
Racism makes no sense whatsoever, given Baker's past lack of any such indicators.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:50 AM   #137
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Racism makes no sense whatsoever, given Baker's past lack of any such indicators.
Is that really a good argument? I didn't know about Mel Gibson's predilections until I did, long after he'd been incredibly famous.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:54 AM   #138
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Who calls a child a monkey before they start moving and climbing though?
Many people. Don't know about where you are, but, as I suggested earlier, it's a pretty common term of endearment here.
Quote:
That is just weird, and racism makes more sense than this weird calling a newborn a monkey, I mean come on they need to be able to hold their head up before they start climbing on things.
Racism doesn't make sense in the case of this particular presenter, who has had a significant media presence for decades, does live phone-in shows, does many interactive live appearances and tweets prolifically. If there was any racism, it would have surfaced long before now.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:59 AM   #139
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Is that really a good argument? I didn't know about Mel Gibson's predilections until I did, long after he'd been incredibly famous.
Mel Gibsonís words were pretty unequivocal though.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:05 AM   #140
Lothian
should be banned

Totally shocked that there is a scandal about racism and the royal family which doesn't involve Prince Phillip.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 11:21 AM   #141
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And how much did Roseanne's work give that indication? Her first series seemed to be pretty anti racist and such. People change and people lose their filters.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 11:24 AM   #142
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Many people. Don't know about where you are, but, as I suggested earlier, it's a pretty common term of endearment here.
And a universal racial epithet against blacks hence the monkey chants at your sports games for the hiring of a black player.

It could be a poor joke that was poorly thought out, but her ethnicity has been an issue in those who care about such things and those who pay attention to what the racists do.

Why is this so weird when Roseanne got busted for the same thing?
Old 13th May 2019, 11:54 AM   #143
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Gibson is a 17 months older than Baker. He started drunkenly ranting about Jews in public in 1992. In contrast, Baker has made it to 2019 before posting a picture of a chimp in relation to a child of the royal family he could plausibly not have known to be mixed race (<75% white).

Yeah, totally the same....

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th May 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:01 PM   #144
Belz...
Fiend God

Gibson is a 17 months older than Baker. He started drunkenly ranting about Jews in public in 1992, five years after raising suspicions with The Passion of the Christ. In contrast, Baker has made it to 2019 before posting a picture of a chimp in relation to a child of the royal family he could plausibly not have known to be mixed race (<75% white).

Yeah, totally the same....
Passion of the Christ is a 2004 movie. It's hardly five years prior to 1992.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:04 PM   #145
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Exactly this. I feel a bit sorry for Baker, though what he did was incredibly dumb. Nevertheless, I don't for a second think he's a died-in-the-wool racist who finally let slip the mask he's been maintaining for the last 60 years (and three - count 'em - autobiographies). He's just a bit of a cheeky monkey.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:05 PM   #146
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Exactly this. I feel a bit sorry for Baker, though what he did was incredibly dumb. Nevertheless, I don't for a second think he's a died-in-the-wool racist who finally let slip the mask he's been maintaining for the last 60 years (and three - count 'em - autobiographies). He's just a bit of a cheeky monkey.
Dude, that's racist!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:12 PM   #147
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

He is a football fan and given the controversies in that game over fans labelling black players as apes, how could he do this? And In the context of hate directed at Markle too.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 13th May 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:23 PM   #148
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Well, it was a respectable Chimpanzee and not a Bonobo.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:30 PM   #149
Information Analyst
Philosopher

And how much did Roseanne's work give that indication? Her first series seemed to be pretty anti racist and such. People change and people lose their filters.
Again, not remotely comparable, but even then, so what? Barr is an actor who made a comment about a specific adult, apparently to make a derogatory motivated by her own Judaism/Zionist viewpoint. Baker is a radio commentator whose job is sharing his opinions with his listeners, who is known for Tweets mocking the rich and privileged, and he chose to post a picture of a chimp after the birth of a new royal baby without realising there might be any racial connotations.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:32 PM   #150
Information Analyst
Philosopher

And a universal racial epithet against blacks hence the monkey chants at your sports games for the hiring of a black player.
No, only at football matches, and only by a small minority of troublemakers. For the majority of the population, a reference to monkeys isn't automatically anything to do with race.

There are also a number of not uncommon English idioms featuring monkeys ("speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey," "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys," "softly, softly, catchy monkey," etc.).

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th May 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:35 PM   #151
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Passion of the Christ is a 2004 movie. It's hardly five years prior to 1992.
My bad - I misread something on his Wikipedia page (a reference to the film breaching some 1988 advice by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops about depictions of Jews).
Old 13th May 2019, 12:37 PM   #152
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
He is a football fan and given the controversies in that game over fans labelling black players as apes, how could he do this? And In the context of hate directed at Markle too.
So again we get back to the question about, a) whether he knew it was Meghan's baby, and b) whether he was aware of Meghan being mixed race.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 13th May 2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:45 PM   #153
Elagabalus
Illuminator

So again we get back to the question about a) whether he knew it was Meghan's baby, and b) whether he was aware of Meghan being mixed race.
The chimp? Probably not.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 01:07 PM   #154
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

No, only at football matches, and only by a small minority of troublemakers. For the majority of the population, a reference to monkeys isn't automatically anything to do with race.

There are also a number of not uncommon English idioms featuring monkeys ("speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey," "if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys," "softly, softly, catchy monkey," etc.).
Not to mention that monkey chants have not happened at British football matches for years if not decades for the simple reason that I doubt there's a team without a significant number of non white players.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 01:13 PM   #155
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Again, not remotely comparable, but even then, so what? Barr is an actor who made a comment about a specific adult, apparently to make a derogatory motivated by her own Judaism/Zionist viewpoint. Baker is a radio commentator whose job is sharing his opinions with his listeners, who is known for Tweets mocking the rich and privileged, and he chose to post a picture of a chimp after the birth of a new royal baby without realising there might be any racial connotations.
Was it ever established that Barr knew Valerie Jarrett had any African ancestry when making here Planet of the Apes tweet?
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 01:36 PM   #156
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Was it ever established that Barr knew Valerie Jarrett had any African ancestry when making here Planet of the Apes tweet?
I assume itt was a reference to a very vague similarity (mostly the hairstyle) with the made-up Helena Bonham Carter in the 2001 film, but coupling it with a reference to the Muslim Brotherhood about someone who - like Barr - is Jewish. Maybe she was unaware of Jarrett's African heritage, but her being a senior advisor to Obama should have been enough to prompt caution by proxy.
Old 13th May 2019, 11:40 PM   #157
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

So again we get back to the question about, a) whether he knew it was Meghan's baby, and b) whether he was aware of Meghan being mixed race.
You lost me here? Whether he knew what/who was Meghan's baby? It's a picture of a chimp!

ETA: Ninja'd by elaba... elaga.... some other poster.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 13th May 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 12:00 AM   #158
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

How could he not know all of that? Has he denied know these things?
Old 14th May 2019, 12:15 AM   #159
Lothian
should be banned

In my view the withdrawal of the tweet showed he understood how it could be offensive. He doesn't 'seem the racist' type. I am sure he posted mocking the freek show that surrounds the royal family without thinking about how the post may be interpreted

However he is a broadcaster in the public eye working for the BBC. His job is to think how his words may be interpreted and to be careful with what he says in case he brings his employer into disrepute. As a keen football fan, he will remember the Ron Atkinson incident as well as that of Andy Grey and Richard Keys. He knows how it works.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 01:27 AM   #160
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
In my view the withdrawal of the tweet showed he understood how it could be offensive. He doesn't 'seem the racist' type. I am sure he posted mocking the freek show that surrounds the royal family without thinking about how the post may be interpreted

However he is a broadcaster in the public eye working for the BBC. His job is to think how his words may be interpreted and to be careful with what he says in case he brings his employer into disrepute. As a keen football fan, he will remember the Ron Atkinson incident as well as that of Andy Grey and Richard Keys. He knows how it works.
Those incidents were unequivocal. Ron Atkinson used the n-word on a hot mic. There was no way it was a misunderstanding. Andy Grey and Richard Keys were mocking the idea that a woman could officiate at a football game. These incidents are not equivalent.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events