ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boston incidents , Kyle Chapman , Mark Sahady , white nationalists

Old 6th June 2019, 11:49 PM   #81
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
TBF

The Sydney one is an exception as it actually seemed to do something.
Bet your arse it did.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:49 PM   #82
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
There is a canyon of worldviews between us. Can you imagine what it might have been like growing up a gay man in the 70s and 80s? To help you a bit, think back to the names you used to call other kids at school like poofter and faggot. Think of the ways in which homosexuals and same sex relationships were portrayed in popular culture. Was it one of normalcy and acceptance? Imagine you are a young man experiencing same sex attraction in this environment. If you can manage this with a better attitude than thinking they need to just deal with it, you are making progress.

It was in this environment that the first gay pride marches occurred. Can you imagine the sentiments that drove these people and the courage it took to participate? If you do, then you have an idea what self absorbed ignorant **** heads the people who think a heterosexual pride march is a good idea are. A lefty wind up indeed.
I am perfectly aware of this, but it has nothing to do with whether the parade is pointless in 2019 or not
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:54 PM   #83
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I am perfectly aware of this, but it has nothing to do with whether the parade is pointless in 2019 or not
So why is it pointless in 2019? Homophobia is dead? There will be a day when people wont react with disgust to the kiss in the new Elton docu drama. Our generation will be dead and LGBTQ pride marches will be pointless.

But, no. You dont get any of the empathy do you. Just wrapped up in your privilege.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th June 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 11:58 PM   #84
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

For those who don't know the story...

Quote:
On 24 June 1978 at 10 pm as a night-time celebration following a morning protest march and commemoration of the Stonewall riots[8] organised by the Gay Solidarity Group more than 500 people gathered on Oxford Street, in a planned street "festival" calling for an end to discrimination against homosexuals in employment and housing, an end to police harassment and the repeal of all anti-homosexual laws.[9] The figure rose to around 2,000 as revellers out for the Saturday night at Oxford Street bars and clubs responded to the call "Out of the bars and into the streets!".[10] Although the organisers had obtained permission, this was revoked, and the parade was broken up by the police. After the parade was dispersing in Kings Cross, 53 of the participants were arrested.[11] Although most charges were eventually dropped, The Sydney Morning Herald published the names of those arrested in full, leading to many people being outed to their friends and places of employment, and many of those arrested lost their jobs as homosexuality was a crime in New South Wales (NSW) until 1984.[12] Only two people who were arrested were fined.[13] The rest were released without bail and the charges dismissed. The police response to a legal, local minority protest transformed it into a nationally significant event which stimulated gay rights and law reform campaigns.[10]
Wikipedia

Sorry for not editing out all the footnotes.

arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:01 AM   #85
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

So why is it pointless in 2019? Homophobia is dead? There will be a day when people wont react with disgust to the kiss in the new Elton docu drama. Our generation will be dead and LGBTQ pride marches will be pointless.

But, no. You dont get any of the empathy do you. Just wrapped up in your privilege.
No homophobia isn't dead

And it doesn't seem to have gotten any better in more recent times, which is why it seems pointless.

Unless promoting inclusiveness, pride in being lgbt and community, to achieve stopping it, is not what it is actually why they have it.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:03 AM   #86
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Why do you think they have it?

Old 7th June 2019, 12:04 AM   #87
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
For those who don't know the story...

Wikipedia

Sorry for not editing out all the footnotes.
Yeah, I didn’t even mention the laws. Unreal. It is important to recognise the bad old days but also how the attitudes that existed then still exist today. Not to mention these marches and part of a global struggle for equality.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:05 AM   #88
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

No homophobia isn't dead

And it doesn't seem to have gotten any better in more recent times, which is why it seems pointless.

Unless promoting inclusiveness, pride in being lgbt and community, to achieve stopping it, is not what it is actually why they have it.
Rugby is pointless. This is a human rights struggle.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:08 AM   #89
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Why do you think they have it?
"promoting inclusiveness, pride in being lgbt and community, "

In the hope of stopping the hassles they get that you mentioned

And it doesn't seem to work.....Well at least seems to have plateaued in it's effect on it.

Old 7th June 2019, 12:11 AM   #90
Mumbles
Philosopher

There are a few people that want to organize around being white, or straight, or whatever, here.

They miss the simple fact that there's no reason to do it.

Yes, everyone knows that white lives matter. We all value child-bearing, hetero couples. Have you not been outside at any point. Do you pay attention?

The questions are as follows: Is it okay to murder black people? Is is okay to toss same-sex couples onto the street?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 12:14 AM   #91
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Rugby is pointless. This is a human rights struggle.
Lol

Bite your tongue!

Rugby is the reason life on earth exists

Imagine if there was a rugby parade

That wouldn't be pointless.

And the whole world would live in harmony.

There would be no more LGTB hating, no more racism, no more trade wars, no more actual wars, no more sexism, no more animal cruelty, no more gun deaths, vegans and vegetarians would see the light and eat meat, Beiber would give up music, Trump would turn into a great guy, climate change would stop.

"And the wo er er erld ..... would live as one"

Last edited by cullennz; 7th June 2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:15 AM   #92
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Old 7th June 2019, 02:00 AM   #93
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky has a birthday
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
OK.... that was just brilliant!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 02:22 AM   #94
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah, I didn’t even mention the laws. Unreal. It is important to recognise the bad old days but also how the attitudes that existed then still exist today. Not to mention these marches and part of a global struggle for equality.
A quote from the then Chief Constable of Greater Manchester police

...Everywhere I go I see evidence of people swirling around in the cesspool of their own making. Why do homosexuals freely engage in sodomy and other obnoxious sexual practices knowing the dangers involved?..

And from the The Sun (Britans best selling newspaper at the time) hailing Anderton as a hero for his statement

...Their defiling act of love is not only unnatural, in today’s world it is lethal…What Britain needs is more men like Anderton – and fewer gay terrorists holding the decent members of society to ransom...

See here: https://www.gayinthe80s.com/2014/05/...ames-anderton/ for more details for part of the reason why I started marching, the good old fun days, being spat on... by the police "marshalling" the march.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:26 AM   #95
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No homophobia isn't dead

It has got a lot better, but still a long long way to go.
Old 7th June 2019, 02:35 AM   #96
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That's us banned in SA, Russia....
Old 7th June 2019, 02:46 AM   #97
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
SA?

Old 7th June 2019, 02:53 AM   #98
3point14
Pi

SA?
Saudi, at a guess.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 02:53 AM   #99
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

SA?
Saudi
Old 7th June 2019, 02:56 AM   #100
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Saudi
Aah

Sorry

Got confused. Thought you meant South Africa. Whose laws are pretty cruisey now

Old 7th June 2019, 03:06 AM   #101
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

With people in thenUS, UK, and Australia disgusted/uncomfortable. How long until we get over that?
Old 7th June 2019, 03:10 AM   #102
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
The Internet is a flutter with news of a planned "Straight Pride" parade in Boston. Most people are treating it as a joke, something that may not even happen. The more I read about the organizers and the pool of people they'll draw in the more I suspect this will be a white supremacist / skinhead rally looking to beat up people they don't like. It's currently scheduled to happen during the move-in weekend when Boston roads are choked with college students moving into their dorms.

A tl;dr summary of the organizers.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/boston...than-you-think
Meh, the usual few nutters making idiots of themselves.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I can tolerate just about any sexual perversion but I draw the line at allowing Yankees to march. Ugh.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 03:13 AM   #103
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

With people in thenUS, UK, and Australia disgusted/uncomfortable. How long until we get over that?
I think you have a bit of a old age view of how much people care about images of dudes kissing, in the modern western world

At least when it comes to Aus and Uk

Don't know enough about the US

But I do know Brokeback mountain made some cash

Old 7th June 2019, 03:25 AM   #104
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I think you have a bit of a old age view of how much people care about images of dudes kissing, in the modern western world

This week I was listening to homophobic comments made by some Gen X guys about Brokeback Mountain and the gay sex in Rocketman.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:47 AM   #105
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sadly he hasn't, media portrayal is still very different from real life. Apart from some of the ghetto areas it will be very rare for say two men to walk holding hands like a heterosexual couple. Even today most gay folk know better than to scare the horses.
Old 7th June 2019, 03:55 AM   #106
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This week I was listening to homophobic comments made by some Gen X guys about Brokeback Mountain and the gay sex in Rocketman.
The world contains some slow learners

Idiocy eventually dies out. It just takes time. Culture is just as evolutionary as biology, it just works quicker.

I think purely personally this is something some on the left can't get their head around.

You can't demand quicktime rethink and then moan when it doesn't work.

Having said that

I am not going to pretend I can watch programs and movies with dudes getting it on and not feel a bit "icky" still. I just get over it if it is a decent film

But then I feel icky watching chick flicks..... Well that is more "Jesus this is tedious"

Old 7th June 2019, 04:12 AM   #107
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Idiocy eventually dies out. It just takes time. Culture is just as evolutionary as biology, it just works quicker.

I think purely personally this is something some on the left can't get their head around.

Having said that

I am not going to pretend I can watch programs and movies with dudes getting it on and not feel a bit "icky" still. I just get over it if it is a decent film

But then I feel icky watching chick flicks..... Well that is more "Jesus this is tedious"
Not slow learners but people of their time with rusted on prejudices.

The stuff about cultural evolution and the left not getting it? What is that all about?

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 7th June 2019 at 04:13 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 04:22 AM   #108
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Having said that

What on earth has this got to do with "the left", and who do you mean by "the left".
Old 7th June 2019, 04:30 AM   #109
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Totally coincidental just seen this horrendous story

The Herald: Couple beaten in homophobic attack after refusing to kiss on bus.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...o-kiss-on-bus/
Old 7th June 2019, 04:31 AM   #110
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Not slow learners but people of their time with rusted on prejudices.

The stuff about cultural evolution and the left not getting it? What is that all about?
Your two points are linked

Again personally

On the one hand you say prejudices are rusted on (to old dudes) yet, simultaneously

While at the same time some on the left seem to want to turn the world into identity politics and every group has to have a certain victim level, and then they try force instant change through stupid stuff like "pronoun" use and go on about "Rape culture", "Male privilege" and "Triggers" and the society is a "rape culture" and under pressure from mental illness because of "social media bullying" and bogs being anti trans and trans dudes should be allowed to compete with chicks.

It just gets a bit tedious even to me and I am opened minded.

So I am not sure why they complain about the rusted people.

And bearing in mind there are plenty of rusted that aren't white males

Old 7th June 2019, 04:36 AM   #111
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Again personally

On the one hand you say prejudices are rusted on (to old dudes) yet, simultaneously

While at the same time some on the left seem to want to turn the world into identity politics and every group has to have a certain victim level, and then they try force instant change through stupid stuff like "pronoun" use and go on about "Rape culture", "Male privilege" and "Triggers" and the society is a "rape culture" and under pressure from mental illness because of "social media bullying" and bogs being anti trans and trans dudes should be allowed to compete with chicks.

A second "what on earth" has the above got to do with what Sideroxyn posted? And again who is "the left"? Are you identifying the organisers of the"straight pride" as "the left"?

Last edited by Darat; 7th June 2019 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Autocorrect changed a member!
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 04:40 AM   #112
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

A second "what on earth" has the above got to do with what Sadhatter posted? And again who is "the left"? Are you identifying the organisers of the"straight pride" as "the left"?
Well no

It just stupidly strayed off the topic of the parade after

I answered this post

"With people in thenUS, UK, and Australia disgusted/uncomfortable. How long until we get over that?"

Which didn't have anything to do with parades

Old 7th June 2019, 04:45 AM   #113
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Again personally

There is an awful lot going on in this post. A lot of it is reactionary and struggling to adapt to a changing culture that is more accepting of difference.

I will say that it is a better world where people with such rusted in prejudices know better than to broadcast them. If they deny the rights and basic human dignity of others they face social backlash and maybe losing their jobs.
Old 7th June 2019, 04:47 AM   #114
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well no

I answered this post

"With people in thenUS, UK, and Australia disgusted/uncomfortable. How long until we get over that?"

Fair enough, but who did you mean by "the left". These right/left/center/aroundthebend labels are thrown around with careless disregard that I dont like to presume I know who the person is talking about!
Old 7th June 2019, 04:50 AM   #115
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

There is an awful lot going on in this post. A lot of it is reactionary and struggling to adapt to a changing culture that is more accepting of difference.

I will say that it is a better world where people with such rusted in prejudices know better than to broadcast them. If they deny the rights and basic human dignity of others they face social backlash and maybe losing their jobs.
Struggling to adapt?

I'm absolutely fine with people doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't badly affect others in a biased way (from all sides).

Your second paragraph I agree, but you can't just demand rusty people to just say "Ok" and not expect some kick back.

Just chill man

Couple of decades they start dying any way

Old 7th June 2019, 04:52 AM   #116
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Well no

I answered this post

Mate, it was a response to your claims that these pride events are pointless.

Why am I bothering.
Old 7th June 2019, 04:55 AM   #117
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Fair enough, but who did you mean by "the left". These right/left/center/aroundthebend labels are thrown around with careless disregard that I dont like to presume I know who the person is talking about!
Fair point

Probably not so much left any more.

More kind of "with it", "SJW", "Woke" types

Lets face it

Uni students

Old 7th June 2019, 04:56 AM   #118
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Mate, it was a response to your claims that these pride events are pointless.

Why am I bothering.
I wasn't criticising it. I was just answering Darat

Old 7th June 2019, 05:00 AM   #119
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Look

Forget I criticised parades.

They are ace and really do stuff

Old 7th June 2019, 05:04 AM   #120
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Look

Forget I criticised parades.

They are ace and really do stuff
After all this back and forward this is where you end up. Snug and smug in your privilege.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events