ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 26th June 2019, 12:40 PM   #361
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I was going off this (pdf)
I don't believe the Conway paper implies what you think it does.

Quote:
In the United States there are varying estimates of the prevalence of crossdressing. Most conservative estimates are in the range of 2% to 5% of all adult males engage in routine crossdressing (1:50 to 1:20). These are people who crossdress part-time either privately at home, or in private CD clubs, and who find great satisfaction in this practice. In a majority of these cases there is mainly a male fetishistic motivation for the crossdressing. However, in a moderate fraction (1/3rd?) it mainly provides an outlet for mild to moderate to strong transgender feelings.
So far as I can tell, the author doesn't seem ready to draw a bright line between crossdressing behaviour and transgender identity, but let's put that aside for now. What I was half-joking about upthread was the process of "gender expression," which is how you present yourself to the world. The practice of crossdressing privately for the sake of fetishistic satisfaction doesn't really come into it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th June 2019 at 12:46 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 01:02 PM   #362
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Well, there's the biological differences, which means that on average a man is going to have more size, mass, and strength with which to resist and drive off a bully. So that role of physical protector is going to end up being a male role, and the virtues of that role are going to be seen as masculine virtues. Not that women can't be big and strong, or small and strong, or small and fierce, etc. But we're talking about social norms and expectations evolving organically over (tens of) thousands of years, in feedback loops with biological differences on average.

---

But whatever. How about a much more modern gender role, p0lka? How do you feel about gender roles like "professional women's basketball player" or "women's world cup soccer forward"?
As I have said previously..
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I'm perfectly ok with treating a transwoman as a woman and a transman as a man, (I don't treat males and females differently anyway, so makes no odds to me), I'll treat people how they wish to be treated as I like seeing smiles on peoples faces, define yourself and I will just go along with it to make you ok.

But I am suspending reality as I do so.
In terms of sporting events, I think the decision of who gets to compete should be based on reality. What's gender got to do with it.

Last edited by p0lka; 26th June 2019 at 01:08 PM.
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 01:20 PM   #363
TomB
Muse

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
So far as I can tell, the author doesn't seem ready to draw a bright line between crossdressing behaviour and transgender identity, but let's put that aside for now.
This line from your quote seems to indicate that they are not the same thing:
Quote:
In a majority of these cases there is mainly a male fetishistic motivation for the crossdressing. However, in a moderate fraction (1/3rd?) it mainly provides an outlet for mild to moderate to strong transgender feelings.
It appears that crossdressing is, for lack of a better word, a symptom that can have multiple causes.

One cause is fetishistic. Another cause would be transgender feelings (which I associate with dysphoria).
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 01:29 PM   #364
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
One cause is fetishistic. Another cause would be transgender feelings (which I associate with dysphoria).
Right, but the author qualifies the distinction with "mainly" both times. Also, search upthread for Rolfe's posts on the prevalence of autogynephelia among those with transgender feelings. Maybe these two mechanisms really are distinct, but we'd need further evidence.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th June 2019 at 02:50 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 01:32 PM   #365
JihadJane
not a camel

As I have said previously..

Quote:
(I don't treat males and females differently anyway, so makes no odds to me)
To know whether this is really true would require objective study of your behaviour. It cannot be ascertained subjectively.
Old 26th June 2019, 01:33 PM   #366
caveman1917
Philosopher

I don't believe the Conway paper implies what you think it does.

So far as I can tell, the author doesn't seem ready to draw a bright line between crossdressing behaviour and transgender identity, but let's put that aside for now. What I was half-joking about upthread was the process of "gender expression," which is how you present yourself to the world. The practice of crossdressing privately for the sake of fetishistic satisfaction doesn't really come into it.
Yeah I suppose that's fair if we're only talking about private cross-dressing. Still, there are categories which would publicly cross-dress without being transgender - drag queens come to mind, or butch lesbians who wear masculine clothing.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 01:49 PM   #367
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
To know whether this is really true would require objective study of your behaviour. It cannot be ascertained subjectively.
So therefore......?

Seems a reasonable position to me. Treat everyone the same. Keeps life simple. Are you suggesting that it should be controversial?
Old 26th June 2019, 02:15 PM   #368
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Seems a reasonable position to me. Treat everyone the same. Keeps life simple. Are you suggesting that it should be controversial?
Of course it should, unless you're happy to do away with all women's leagues / spaces / conferences / clothiers / changing rooms / etc.
Old 26th June 2019, 02:44 PM   #369
Steve
Philosopher

Of course it should, unless you're happy to do away with all women's leagues / spaces / conferences / clothiers / changing rooms / etc.
Oh my! Treating people as equals is now controversial? I think not. Spending time deciding on individual classifications for everyone I meet before I can decide how to interact with them is not going to happen.

For myself I will not treat anyone differently because of their choice of physical activities, interests, clothes, or anything else you listed. People get the same level of respect from me unless they show that it is not warranted. Women, men, and anyone in between are free to associate, or not, with whomever they please. That has no effect on how treat them. I do not wish to do away with any of the things you listed.
Old 26th June 2019, 02:48 PM   #370
d4m10n
Illuminator

I do not wish to do away with any of the things you listed.
All of those things require making exceptions to your idea that we should "Treat everyone the same." The idea of any women's only spaces requires that we turn men away.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th June 2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 26th June 2019, 03:44 PM   #371
p0lka
Graduate Poster

you seem to have a habit of putting words into the mouths of people you are quoting, when they never actually said it.

the highlighted is just a big false dichotomy.

Last edited by p0lka; 26th June 2019 at 03:52 PM.
p0lka is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 03:54 PM   #372
d4m10n
Illuminator

the highlighted is just a big false dichotomy.
Not at all. If we're unwilling to treat women differently from men, then there will be no spaces just for women. This is entirely straightforward.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th June 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 26th June 2019, 04:45 PM   #373
Steve
Philosopher

Not at all. If we're unwilling to treat women differently from men, then there will be no spaces just for women. This is entirely straightforward.
Why do you persist in reading things into posts that are not there? Neither p0lka nor myself used the word “we”.

I have had no personal involvement with segregating women by any of the examples that you gave. I do not care at all what rooms a woman (or man or ?) chooses to use, what sports organizations a woman (or man or ?) chooses to belong to, or what conferences or meetings a woman (or man or ?) chooses to attend. None of these things will influence me to treat any person differently than any other.
Old 26th June 2019, 04:48 PM   #374
d4m10n
Illuminator

I have had no personal involvement with segregating women by any of the examples that you gave.
So what you're saying is that you aren't in a position to personally deal with the tricky questions when it comes to existing social segregation by sex and/or gender, and that your position is quite relaxing, but no one else need follow your example.

Cool.

I may have been entirely mistaken to believe that you wrote "Treat everyone the same" in an attempt to persuade other people to take your approach.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th June 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 26th June 2019, 04:52 PM   #375
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So what you're saying is that you aren't in a position to personally deal with the tricky questions when it comes to existing social segregation by sex and/or gender, and that your position is quite relaxing, but no one else need follow your example.

Cool.
I can pass as a white male. If what they say about white male privilege is true, I'd be an idiot to give it up, and a fool to cede an inch of ground to anyone who tried to take it from me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 05:17 PM   #376
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Well you could equally be unwilling to treat men differently from women, then there will be no spaces just for men. This is equally entirely straightforward.
Old 26th June 2019, 05:18 PM   #377
p0lka
Graduate Poster

So what you're saying is...snip
oops, you did it again..
Old 26th June 2019, 05:22 PM   #378
d4m10n
Illuminator

Well you could equally be unwilling to treat men differently from women, then there will be no spaces just for men. This is equally entirely straightforward.
Morally speaking, do you think it's okay to have separate sports leagues/conferences/changing rooms/festivals/etc. just for women? This is a yes/no question, but you are welcome to hit these issues one-by-one.
Old 26th June 2019, 05:49 PM   #379
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This is all straightforward, but your point is too twisty for me to follow. Are you saying there should be no spaces just for women?

Yes or no?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 07:49 PM   #380
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Quite true.

But the consequences for women of not having any spaces of their own may be quite different than the consequences for men of not having any spaces of their own.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2019, 08:53 PM   #381
Steve
Philosopher

Morally speaking, do you think it's okay to have separate sports leagues/conferences/changing rooms/festivals/etc. just for women? This is a yes/no question, but you are welcome to hit these issues one-by-one.
Not directed at me but my answer may clarify my position.

Morals have little to do with my position.

Yes, I think it is ok and I think it is reasonable. I do not think it is mandatory although a majority of society seems to think that it should be. I am ok with that too.

This in no way means that I will treat any named gender differently than any other in my daily interactions with people.
Old 27th June 2019, 02:51 AM   #382
JihadJane
not a camel

Why do you persist in reading things into posts that are not there? Neither p0lka nor myself used the word “we”.

I have had no personal involvement with segregating women by any of the examples that you gave. I do not care at all what rooms a woman (or man or ?) chooses to use, what sports organizations a woman (or man or ?) chooses to belong to, or what conferences or meetings a woman (or man or ?) chooses to attend. None of these things will influence me to treat any person differently than any other.
You don't care if women and girls are forced out of women's sport by men who choose to call themselves women?

You don't care if men who choose to call themselves women use women's toilets, refuges and changing rooms?

So therefore......?

No, I'm suggesting that your claim to treat everyone the same is unreliable because your only reference is subjective. Babies are treated differently from the moment their sex is known. This is mostly subconscious behaviour.

Last edited by JihadJane; 27th June 2019 at 02:58 AM.
JihadJane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 07:08 AM   #383
d4m10n
Illuminator

This in no way means that I will treat any named gender differently than any other in my daily interactions with people.
I'm totally on board with this, and I've said as much before.

It is possible to treat transwomen as women for all of your own social and personal purposes while recognizing that the designated gatekeepers of gender/sex-segregated spaces have a difficult and thankless task ahead of them.
It's cool that you strive not to treat women any differently than men in your everyday life, Steve, so say we all. That said, this thread is about the difficult policy choices which must be made in order to maintain, reform, or eliminate existing sex- and/or gender-segregated leagues/institutions/public spaces. It's not enough just to say, hey not my problem. Or rather, it is exactly enough to say that if you don't really hope to address any of the difficult issues which we've been addressing in this thread.
Old 27th June 2019, 03:39 PM   #384
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

So, what does a boy at an all-boys school do when he decides to transition to female?

Go ahead and do it* - no change of school necessary: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/edu...tioning-senior

*May not work in some countries.
Old 27th June 2019, 03:43 PM   #385
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that the best women are men. Transwomen are ******* feminism right in the ass, and the primary beneficiaries are men.

Sorry Rolfe. Even this unreconstructed conservative wishes it were otherwise. But progress marches on, and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Last edited by theprestige; 27th June 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 27th June 2019, 05:47 PM   #386
d4m10n
Illuminator

Transwomen are ******* feminism right in the ass, and the primary beneficiaries are men.
Turbocharging?
Old 28th June 2019, 01:57 PM   #387
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
You don't care if women and girls are forced out of women's sport by men who choose to call themselves women?

You don't care if men who choose to call themselves women use women's toilets, refuges and changing rooms?

No, I'm suggesting that your claim to treat everyone the same is unreliable because your only reference is subjective. Babies are treated differently from the moment their sex is known. This is mostly subconscious behaviour.
In your opinion..

The amount of putting words into other peoples mouths in this thread is quite interesting.

Last edited by p0lka; 28th June 2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 28th June 2019, 03:17 PM   #388
d4m10n
Illuminator

The amount of putting words into other peoples mouths in this thread is quite interesting.
As is the amount of failing to count up the foreseeable consequences of one's norms, when applied broadly.

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th June 2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28th June 2019, 04:02 PM   #389
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Or the ability to see consequences of elimination of norms. In life not everyone gets exactly what they want. Someone has to lose when neither side accepts compromise.

And it is nearly alway the greater numbers that win long term.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 08:22 PM   #390
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Have you ever noticed how the threads that are the most active are the ones that never get anywhere in the discussion?

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 08:57 PM   #391
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Have you ever noticed how the threads that are the most active are the ones that never get anywhere in the discussion?
I have a theory about this.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:57 PM   #392
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Hope springs eternal.

If we explain it just one more time, the other side will get it, surely.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 11:01 PM   #393
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That's why they're the most active - groups of people talking right past each other, repeating themselves ad nauseum.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:58 AM   #394
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I have a theory about this.
AHEM! Is it yours?
Old 29th June 2019, 05:40 AM   #395
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
AHEM! Is it yours?
I may well have appropriated it.
Old 29th June 2019, 01:36 PM   #396
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Morally speaking? that's a completely different topic.

I think I might have took the thread offtopic a bit, it's gender roles that make no sense to me, whereas the thread seems to be more about the physical attributes.
Old 29th June 2019, 01:39 PM   #397
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Morally speaking? that's a completely different topic.

I think I might have took the thread offtopic a bit, it's gender roles that make no sense to me, whereas the thread seems to be more about the physical attributes.
This thread is about the intersection of physical attributes, self-perception of gender, and gender roles in society.

You seem to be trying to pick out the thread of gender roles in society, but the problem is that you can't really do this without unraveling the whole tapestry.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:21 PM   #398
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This thread is about the intersection of physical attributes, self-perception of gender, and gender roles in society.
Nope.

The thread is about the simple fact that trans women are not women.

Everything else is actually a red herring.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:27 PM   #399
d4m10n
Illuminator

...I might have took the thread offtopic a bit, it's gender roles that make no sense to me, whereas the thread seems to be more about the physical attributes.
The thread(s) have been about sex, gender, and people who don't find the one to match the other. We've ranged over all sorts of variations on the theme. I feel like you've sort of dodged my question, though, so I'll ask it a different way. Do you think the gendered role "women's professional soccer player" is a role which ought to exist?

Yes.

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
No.
Old 29th June 2019, 03:30 PM   #400
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Nope.

Everything else is actually a red herring.
Nope.

Everything else is just figuring out what that means and whether it's actually true.

But go on being wrong, if that's your pleasure.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events