ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 27th June 2019, 02:59 PM   #121
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Classic.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 03:23 PM   #122
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Seems totally ridiculous that our government, and indeed Country, cannot ask a basic question of Citizenship in a very expensive, detailed and important Census, in this case for 2020. I have asked the lawyers if they can delay the Census, no matter how long, until the.....

.....United States Supreme Court is given additional information from which it can make a final and decisive decision on this very critical matter. Can anyone really believe that as a great Country, we are not able the ask whether or not someone is a Citizen. Only in America!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 03:29 PM   #123
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

The government must demonstrate there is a valid reason for asking and that this is the least onerous way of asking.

Given that the census is for reapportionment, a process which citizenship is not a factor of, they fail on the first point.

Given that asking this question will skew participation and thus the results of a constitutionally mandated process, certainly a survey that is not the census would be less onerous.

ETA: I'm not particularly a fan of any demographic identifying information in the census. The only metric that matters is "number of persons residing."

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 27th June 2019 at 03:33 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 03:32 PM   #124
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Meanwhile in Afghanistan, a pregnant woman who's baby died as a result of a shooting is charged with the death of the baby, whilst the shooter is set free.

Oh wait, I meant Alabama.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alabam...ach?ref=scroll
More and More I think we made a horrid mistake in forcing Alabame back into the Union in 1865. We should have let her leave, and got rid of her when we had the chance.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 04:28 PM   #125
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The government must demonstrate there is a valid reason for asking and that this is the least onerous way of asking.

Given that the census is for reapportionment, a process which citizenship is not a factor of, they fail on the first point.

Given that asking this question will skew participation and thus the results of a constitutionally mandated process, certainly a survey that is not the census would be less onerous.

ETA: I'm not particularly a fan of any demographic identifying information in the census. The only metric that matters is "number of persons residing."
The decision did not seem to rely on any Constitutional scrutiny but rather interpretation of the adminstrative procedures act census act. Roberts wrote

Quote:
it is not for us to ask whether his decision was "the best one possible" or even whether it was "better than the alternatives."
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 04:34 PM   #126
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Thanks for that link! I enjoyed every minute of it.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 04:44 PM   #127
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
More and More I think we made a horrid mistake in forcing Alabame back into the Union in 1865. We should have let her leave, and got rid of her when we had the chance.
I've often thought that about the entire Confederacy. I can't live in the South even though that is where my father's people are from (S. Alabama/N. Florida).
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 05:10 PM   #128
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There are notable pockets of Americans in the South. Parts of Florida; Atlanta and Savanah Georgia; Charleston; Memphis all remain relatively American. There are large swaths of swamp people country that we could do without though.

Last edited by Craig4; 27th June 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 05:42 PM   #129
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That was simultaneously the best and most depressing half hour of my life to date.
ETA: That was a year and a half ago. It's only gotten worse.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 27th June 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2019, 08:02 PM   #130
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It looks like Trump has hit his highest popularity rating to date at only -6.7%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

Four more years, easy.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:08 PM   #131
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
It looks like Trump has hit his highest popularity rating to date at only -6.7%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...oval-6179.html

Four more years, easy.
This is the mathematician popping up again to point out to you that the "-" in front of the 6.7 signifies his approval rating is still under water. That's like Johnny being proud of the highest grade he ever got on a spelling test: a 43%!!!

You're Welcome!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 01:49 AM   #132
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

All Democrats just raised their hands for giving millions of illegal aliens unlimited healthcare. How about taking care of American Citizens first!? That’s the end of that race!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 01:56 AM   #133
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
This is the mathematician popping up again to point out ...
...the blindingly obvious.

Keep doing that while he waltzes to another term.
Old 28th June 2019, 03:02 AM   #134
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

All Democrats just raised their hands for giving millions of illegal aliens unlimited healthcare. How about taking care of American Citizens first!? Thatís the end of that race!

By "all", he means the ten Democrats at last nights debate, and by "unlimited healthcare", he means that they said that their health care plans would allow undocumented immigrants to obtain health insurance.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 03:04 AM   #135
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

All Democrats just raised their hands for giving millions of illegal aliens unlimited healthcare. How about taking care of American Citizens first!? Thatís the end of that race!
Iím reminded of the press event days after he took office where there was a table with many reams of paper which represented the entire efforts of the Republican Party to take care of the healthcare of American Citizens. Those reams of paper were all blank.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 04:05 AM   #136
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
...the blindingly obvious.

Keep doing that while he waltzes to another term.
Keep thinking that a negative 6.7% approval margin implies waltzing to another term. LOL! Just trying to explain numbers to you, bro!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 04:08 AM   #137
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Stock Market went up massively from the day after I won the Election, all the way up to the day that I took office, because of the enthusiasm for the fact that I was going to be President. That big Stock Market increase must be credited to me. If Hillary won - a Big Crash!

I am in Japan at the G-20, representing our Country well, but I heard it was not a good day for Sleepy Joe or Crazy Bernie. One is exhausted, the other is nuts - so what’s the big deal?
Old 28th June 2019, 04:10 AM   #138
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donny is excited because the big boys are letting him play with them.
Old 28th June 2019, 04:13 AM   #139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The sand dunes at Donald Trump's Aberdeenshire golf resort are expected to lose their status as a nationally-important protected environment.

Government watchdog Scottish Natural Heritage has recommended that Menie links be removed from an existing site of special scientific interest (SSSI).

SNH concluded Mr Trump's golf course had "destroyed" the sand dune system, causing permanent habitat loss.

Trump International Golf Links Scotland's executive vice-president, Sarah Malone, said:
Quote:
"This is an utter disgrace and shows SNH has hit an all time low. To make an announcement to the media before informing us, the actual landowner, shows how politically-motivated this decision is. What other SSSI landowner is singled out in this way.
It's a stitch-up.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48789620

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th June 2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 28th June 2019, 05:21 AM   #140
Armitage72
Master Poster

How long do we think it will take Trump to reference his buddy Duterte's threat to imprison anyone who tries to impeach him? He's already threatened to imprison reporters who ask him questions he doesn't like.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:29 AM   #141
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
How long do we think it will take Trump to reference his buddy Duterte's threat to imprison anyone who tries to impeach him? He's already threatened to imprison reporters who ask him questions he doesn't like.
I don't think Trump wants to be that direct. He knows it is not in his best interest.

I don't think his habit of making vague, backhanded threats and/or "encouraging" his supporters to do stuff is building to something, I think it's exactly where he wants to be. It's deniable. He knows as long as he is within even the same zipcode as "the line" the discourse will be bogged down in defining exactly where the line is and whether or not he crossed it and go nowhere beyond that.

And really don't think Trump is ever going to drop the act and just start being as blatant as it's easy to think he wants to be. Trump's stupid, but he's a very specific kind of stupid.

Difference I don't that's a good thing because he's more dangerous doing this because he's harder to deal with.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:34 AM   #142
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Iím reminded of the press event days after he took office where there was a table with many reams of paper which represented the entire efforts of the Republican Party to take care of the healthcare of American Citizens. Those reams of paper were all blank.
I remember that scene and thinking it was obvious that the table was full of blank papers. I remember thinking how this onress conference was foreshadowing of the lies to come.

Did anyone actually demonstrate that the papers were blank?
Old 28th June 2019, 05:35 AM   #143
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't think Trump wants to be that direct. He knows it is not in his best interest.

I was thinking something more vague, like his comment about maybe we should try President for life.
Old 28th June 2019, 05:36 AM   #144
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Keep thinking that a negative 6.7% approval margin implies waltzing to another term. LOL! Just trying to explain numbers to you, bro!
You mean the approval rating that's higher then Favorable/Unfavorable he held the day before he was elected?

FoxNews gave Trump a 60% unfavorable rate (6 points lower then Clintons)... on November 7th, 2016.

Stop kidding yourself that the "numbers" prove Trump is gonna lose. It's a very dangerous assumption.

It's probably true. I certainly hope it is true. But we've been here before.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #145
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

You mean the approval rating that's higher then Favorable/Unfavorable he held the day before he was elected?

FoxNews gave Trump a 60% unfavorable rate (6 points lower then Clintons)... on November 7th, 2016.

Stop kidding yourself that the "numbers" prove Trump is gonna lose. It's a very dangerous assumption.

It's probably true. I certainly hope it is true. But we've been here before.
If you'd bother to review my comments, I never claimed Trump would lose. What I claimed (for the reading impaired) is that he wouldn't waltz to re-election. Indeed, he didn't waltz to election in the first place--It was decided by fewer than 70,000 votes spread over three states. Quite a squeaker and not at all a waltz.

The poor approval numbers for Trump in no way indicate he waltzes to re-election, and I stand by that claim.
Old 28th June 2019, 06:21 AM   #146
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Classic.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thanks for that link! I enjoyed every minute of it.
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That was simultaneously the best and most depressing half hour of my life to date.
ETA: That was a year and a half ago. It's only gotten worse.
John Oliver is one of the best, and sadly, most reliable sources for news that I find on TV anywhere. He kind of has the same delivery, but I never go an episode without laughing extremely hard. His one on Scottish Independence was one of my favorites.

@Treb, it's almost scary how well it's aged.

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 07:35 AM   #147
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jond View Post
It's one of his favorite schticks.

He did it with his supposed divestiture, he posed next to a comically high stack of obviously just-opened reams as his "tax return", a comically high stack of bills he needed to sign (absurdly more bills than had even been passed at that time), and as you noted, his gigantic HCA replacement plan.

None of it really addresses whatever issue he's posturing about, the effect intended is to communicate that Trump is very busy, very important, is the kingpin of a large organization, makes order out of so much chaos with so many moving parts, etc.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 07:44 AM   #148
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's one of his favorite schticks.

He did it with his supposed divestiture, he posed next to a comically high stack of obviously just-opened reams as his "tax return", a comically high stack of bills he needed to sign (absurdly more bills than had even been passed at that time), and as you noted, his gigantic HCA replacement plan.

None of it really addresses whatever issue he's posturing about, the effect intended is to communicate that Trump is very busy, very important, is the kingpin of a large organization, makes order out of so much chaos with so many moving parts, etc.
If we make it to the end of the Trump administration without at least one giant, oversized novelty check being used in an actual government function I will be so disappointed.
Old 28th June 2019, 07:45 AM   #149
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If we make it to the end of the Trump administration without at least one giant, oversized novelty check being used in an actual government function I will be so disappointed.
Or a large bag with a dollar sign on it.
Old 28th June 2019, 07:49 AM   #150
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Or a large bag with a dollar sign on it.

Only if Trump is holding it while wearing a cartoon-style burglar mask.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:31 AM   #151
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
This is the mathematician popping up again to point out to you that the "-" in front of the 6.7 signifies his approval rating is still under water. That's like Johnny being proud of the highest grade he ever got on a spelling test: a 43%!!!
Yes, its true... Trump's popularity is under water. However, that doesn't mean we should feel happy or comfortable about the situation.

After years of scandal after scandal, after a Mueller report that pointed out evidence of various crimes, and after the most recent rape accusation, his popularity is not only stable but GOING UP. (Assuming its not just some statistical error.) And there is nothing I can think of that might justify the increase... no big legislation that he managed to help pass through congress, no big international problem he's helped to address. The only thing that i can think of is maybe the Iranian situation, but its hard to see how "I was going to bomb them but decided not to" would really affect his popularity.

That doesn't give much leeway for the democrats. Pick the wrong candidate, or have some unexpected November surprise, and Trump may still pull off a victory.

I want to see Trump lose, and not just by a few percentage points... I want to see him utterly humiliated, and I want to see the entire republican party dragged down with him, followed by at least a decade of them being shut out from any hint of power, as a warning to them that picking a racist con-artist as your leader and engaging in underhanded shenanigans can lead to ruin.
Quote:
If you'd bother to review my comments, I never claimed Trump would lose. What I claimed (for the reading impaired) is that he wouldn't waltz to re-election. Indeed, he didn't waltz to election in the first place--It was decided by fewer than 70,000 votes spread over three states. Quite a squeaker and not at all a waltz.

The poor approval numbers for Trump in no way indicate he waltzes to re-election, and I stand by that claim.
Well given the fact that a waltz is a form of physical activity, I can't see Trump waltzing anywhere (unless he can figure out how to do it while driving a golf cart).

Seriously, I think you're getting hung up on the phrasing here. Yes, "waltzing to victory" implies an easy win, but I think the term could apply to to the 2016 election... Trump's campaign was often labeled a "dumpster fire", but he still managed to pull off a victory, despite not putting any effort into coming up with decent policies or making any serious attempts to appeal to voters outside of his base.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 08:47 AM   #152
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Sigh. There are so many areas in life where other people's actions and beliefs seem to me to be so obviously wrong they must be crazy, but they do them anyway. People smoke cigarettes, wear brown shoes with black pants, vote for Trump, prefer wine to beer, believe in a miaphysite nature of Christ, watch action films, go under the water when swimming, and stand up to wipe. I find all those things completely mad, cannot imagine myself ever doing any of them, and yet millions of other people do them repeatedly without thinking them the least bit wrong. So I've learned not to project my sense of what's sensible onto the general public. People are crazy, and liable to do anything.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:50 AM   #153
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sigh. There are so many areas in life where other people's actions and beliefs seem to me to be so obviously wrong they must be crazy, but they do them anyway. People smoke cigarettes, wear brown shoes with black pants, vote for Trump, prefer wine to beer, believe in a miaphysite nature of Christ, watch action films, go under the water when swimming, and stand up to wipe. I find all those things completely mad, cannot imagine myself ever doing any of them, and yet millions of other people do them repeatedly without thinking them the least bit wrong. So I've learned not to project my sense of what's sensible onto the general public. People are crazy, and liable to do anything.
Because separating "Crazy" and "Crazy but harmful" isn't all that hard and even if it was... we sort of have to do it.

Yeah you can shrug and play the "Live and let live card" with people who think Godfather 3 was a good movie or deep dish is superior to thin crust.

You can't with people who deny reality or human rights.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:50 AM   #154
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, its true... Trump's popularity is under water. However, that doesn't mean we should feel happy or comfortable about the situation.

After years of scandal after scandal, after a Mueller report that pointed out evidence of various crimes, and after the most recent rape accusation, his popularity is not only stable but GOING UP. (Assuming its not just some statistical error.) And there is nothing I can think of that might justify the increase... no big legislation that he managed to help pass through congress, no big international problem he's helped to address. The only thing that i can think of is maybe the Iranian situation, but its hard to see how "I was going to bomb them but decided not to" would really affect his popularity.

That doesn't give much leeway for the democrats. Pick the wrong candidate, or have some unexpected November surprise, and Trump may still pull off a victory.

I want to see Trump lose, and not just by a few percentage points... I want to see him utterly humiliated, and I want to see the entire republican party dragged down with him, followed by at least a decade of them being shut out from any hint of power, as a warning to them that picking a racist con-artist as your leader and engaging in underhanded shenanigans can lead to ruin.

Well given the fact that a waltz is a form of physical activity, I can't see Trump waltzing anywhere (unless he can figure out how to do it while driving a golf cart).

Seriously, I think you're getting hung up on the phrasing here. Yes, "waltzing to victory" implies an easy win, but I think the term could apply to to the 2016 election... Trump's campaign was often labeled a "dumpster fire", but he still managed to pull off a victory, despite not putting any effort into coming up with decent policies or making any serious attempts to appeal to voters outside of his base.
Hey, I'm not the one implying that a Trump win or loss is a foregone conclusion, but the hilited portions seem to imply that you think I did. That was the Atheist acting all cocksure of his prediction, not me. I merely called him out on his BS.
Old 28th June 2019, 08:52 AM   #155
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Oh, and calling Trump's win in 2016 a "waltz to victory" completely ignores how close it was and a lot of shady stuff going on.

In no way does that qualify as a "waltz".
Old 28th June 2019, 09:02 AM   #156
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Because separating "Crazy" and "Crazy but harmful" isn't all that hard and even if it was... we sort of have to do it.

Yeah you can shrug and play the "Live and let live card" with people who think Godfather 3 was a good movie or deep dish is superior to thin crust.

You can't with people who deny reality or human rights.
I was speaking of expectations, not actions.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:24 AM   #157
Paul2
Philosopher

Pick the wrong candidate, or have some unexpected November surprise, and Trump may still pull off a victory.
Nitpick: the term is "October surprise." Apparently, though, an October surprise can happen in early November. Who knew?
Given how unvarying his 40-42% is, your dream will not happen, I'm way past sorry to tell you.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 10:26 AM   #158
Paul2
Philosopher

a miaphysite nature of Christ
You made me look up that word!

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2019, 10:27 AM   #159
Paul2
Philosopher

and stand up to wipe.
Are. You. Serious?! That is the first I've heard of such a thing, and I don't know how I will carry on.

Old 28th June 2019, 10:32 AM   #160
Paul2
Philosopher

and stand up to wipe.
Sorry for all the derails, they will end hence forth, but(t) see this:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/shanemadej/...n-you-wipe-you

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics