ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd July 2019, 02:10 PM   #81
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I also wonder how much of Craig's strategy is really just a circular firing squad.

We have to lie about how evil Trump is, to convince people of the true evil of Trump? But how much of what Craig believes to be the true evil of Trump is really just more lies by other people applying the same rationale?
Hey, it's the same approach that worked for Trump. Funny how you're suddenly against it once someone other than Trump proposes it.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 7th July 2019 at 09:57 AM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 06:01 PM   #82
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I'm going to give you the same advice Travis has been getting lately: Get off the Internet for a while. It's clearly not doing you any good.
Since this is the nexus of the cosmos in which I am permitted to agree with theprestige, I will have to second his advice.

isissxn, I hope you get a break from work over the 4th, and I hope taking a break from this forum (and possibly the news) helps you relax. Take care of yourself.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:45 PM   #83
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

something that hasn't been mentioned is that his little party is going to result in Reagan International being closed twice during the evening, for a period adding up to over 2 hours. Hey, but fireworks and tanks. Who cares about travelers having their travel plans messed up .

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:05 PM   #84
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
something that hasn't been mentioned is that his little party is going to result in Reagan International being closed twice during the evening, for a period adding up to over 2 hours. Hey, but fireworks and tanks. Who cares about travelers having their travel plans messed up .
Or hospital helicopters, etc. Throws the whole East coast air traffic control into chaos.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:08 PM   #85
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Then how would they be "new"?
A depot rebuild disassembles and re-manufactures high dollar equipment in the Military. Things like tanks, fire engines and other high cost vehicles. The vehicles are effectively re-manufactured into new ones.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 12:26 PM   #86
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
A depot rebuild disassembles and re-manufactures high dollar equipment in the Military. Things like tanks, fire engines and other high cost vehicles. The vehicles are effectively re-manufactured into new ones.

Chris B.
That is mildly interesting, if true, but it in no way answers the question.
Old 4th July 2019, 12:47 PM   #87
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump wants to build a Kit Car from a Sherman Tank?

Sounds like a fun project!
Old 4th July 2019, 01:55 PM   #88
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

It's literally raining on his parade.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 02:34 PM   #89
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post

Pissing rain...

Worst earthquake in decades...

Is the magic man in the sky trying to tell Americans something?
Old 4th July 2019, 02:41 PM   #90
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure how I feel about that...

On one hand, anything that makes Trump and his supporters is welcome.

On the other hand, it gives him an excuse for a low turnout. If the weather was good and the crowds were small, it would be a much more effective rebuke to him. "See? Your popularity is so low that nobody wants to come to your party".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:39 PM   #91
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Fake News!
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Not sure how I feel about that...

On one hand, anything that makes Trump and his supporters is welcome.

On the other hand, it gives him an excuse for a low turnout. If the weather was good and the crowds were small, it would be a much more effective rebuke to him. "See? Your popularity is so low that nobody wants to come to your party".
He won't use the excuse. He actually denied that it had rained during his inauguration and that the crowds were small.
Old 4th July 2019, 03:40 PM   #92
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
On the other hand, it gives him an excuse for a low turnout.
Irrelevant, since a low turnout is Fake News. It's gonna be a yooge turnout despite the weather.

Ninja'd by Trebuchet

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 03:46 PM   #93
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Fair enough. I got my impression from a pretty cursory skimming of his posts, I must confess.
I voted for Trump, and I think a lot of the concern about his presidency is overblown, even intentionally so. So I figure it's reasonable to identify myself as a Trump supporter in some contexts.

Of course, the same people that have overblown the problems of his presidency are likely to overblow(?) my support. So make of it what you will. I'm here any time you want a civil conversation about it, but you don't owe me anything.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 05:22 PM   #94
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

I voted for Trump,
And we all know why...

Donald Trump may be Selfish, Stupid, and Wrong - but he's still a Republican.
Old 4th July 2019, 05:27 PM   #95
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

More footage
Old 4th July 2019, 06:18 PM   #96
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Even God says "Never Trump!"
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:19 PM   #97
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
And we all know why...

Donald Trump may be Selfish, Stupid, and Wrong - but he's still a Republican.
Oh God no. Trump is probably the rinoest rino to ever rino a rino. His GOP creds are about as far from why I voted for him as possible.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 06:51 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Oh God no. Trump is probably the rinoest rino to ever rino a rino. His GOP creds are about as far from why I voted for him as possible.
I'm curious; why did you vote for him?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 08:53 PM   #99
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

In his speech, Trump told the story of a revolution victory against the British: "Our army manned the air, it ranned the ramparts, it took over the airports"

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1146985704624406533
Old 4th July 2019, 09:00 PM   #100
Steve
Philosopher

In his speech, Trump told the story of a revolution victory against the British: "Our army manned the air, it ranned the ramparts, it took over the airports"

Trump knows history better than anybody! A brilliant man indeed.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:04 PM   #101
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Some posters are totally subservient to trolling and being downright nasty to theprestige too. It's almost creepy. Just something I've noticed.

On topic: at least they get to drive their tanks n stuff!
More than almost.

Nice attempt to bring the thread back on topic.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:09 PM   #102
Minoosh
Philosopher

I checked Wikipedia and came up with this:

The first military use of a hot air balloon happened in 1794 during the battle of Fleurus, when the French used the balloon l'Entreprenant for observation.[13]

Maybe someone sabotaged his teleprompter?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 09:12 PM   #103
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

The first military use of a hot air balloon happened in 1794 during the battle of Fleurus, when the French used the balloon l'Entreprenant for observation.[13]

Naaah! It was taking over the airports that was key. After that the British had nowhere to land.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:16 PM   #104
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
elections have consequences

lol
No, these consequences are are rather special. You’ve elected an A-grade moron who is oafishly trampling your values and traditions in pursuit of ego and money.
Old 4th July 2019, 09:18 PM   #105
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Or he was struggling to read it and ad libbed.
Old 4th July 2019, 10:26 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I'm surprised Trump didn't mention the submarines the Continental Navy had.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2019, 10:28 PM   #107
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

His silence on the bravery of Washington's Space Force is telling.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:34 AM   #108
curious cat
Thinker

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Pissing rain...

Worst earthquake in decades...

Is the magic man in the sky trying to tell Americans something?
Hey, this is a sceptic's forum, isn't it?
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:23 AM   #109
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

There can no longer be any doubt; the stupid bitch is really that stupid.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:52 AM   #110
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm curious; why did you vote for him?
A number of reasons. One of them is that neither party represents my brand of conservativism. But one party pays lip service to it. I was tired of rewarding them for their lip service.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:04 AM   #111
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm surprised Trump didn't mention the submarines the Continental Navy had.
Because those were real?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submersible)

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:16 AM   #112
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Or he was struggling to read it and ad libbed.
That sounds about right to me. Like most men of his age, he's reluctant to show weakness or incapacity and it seems clear to me from the way he looks at the teleprompter that he's not comfortable using it*. I think he did exactly what you suggest - not least because he often does exactly that, goes off script.

He's also incapable of admitting that he made any kind of flub or mistake so he attempts to style out (and fails IMO) when he makes a mistake reading the teleprompter instead of making light of it and reading what it actually says.

* - it's not clear to me whether it's an eyesight issue, a reading ability issue, simply that he is uncomfortable having to look in one or two places or a combination of them all.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 06:25 AM   #113
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Happy 5th, everyone!

I hope all the troops and equipment got home safely.

Thank god that's over with.
Old 5th July 2019, 09:13 AM   #114
Faydra
sinning sybarite

A number of reasons. One of them is that neither party represents my brand of conservativism. But one party pays lip service to it. I was tired of rewarding them for their lip service.
Will you vote for him again?
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 09:23 AM   #115
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
* - it's not clear to me whether it's an eyesight issue, a reading ability issue, simply that he is uncomfortable having to look in one or two places or a combination of them all.

One quirk I noticed was that he would periodically turn and squint at something off to his left, somewhere below or past the teleprompter on that side. Was he getting prompts as to the timing, or something? It just looked incredibly odd and awkward.
Old 5th July 2019, 12:47 PM   #116
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Well, no grand conspiracies or political assassinations occurred, so I guess I feel a little silly. But my embarrassment is outweighed by my delight! Seriously, I love being wrong. (About this kind of stuff, anyway.)

I've been wrong a lot lately. I get these heart-arresting senses of impending doom, and they just seem so sensible. Then it turns out they're not sensible at all. Phew!

I'm still pretty shaky, but I'm feeling better. Just wanted to pop in and acknowledge I was being a nutter. Sorry!
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:56 PM   #117
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Speaking of people under Trump's authority getting screwed by him.....

....how about those DoJ lawyers dealing with the open census case? Because of Trump's tantrum, the judge ordered an emergency meeting at 330 today. I realize it's not the end of the world but it is an offensively bad boss that does something like that.
My boss called an unscheduled conference call at 2PM on July 3. Big deal.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:30 PM   #118
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Will you vote for him again?
Depends on my options. But this really isn't the thread to get into it. I probably won't bother to answer any more questions about it here.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:44 PM   #119
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I'm still pretty shaky, but I'm feeling better. Just wanted to pop in and acknowledge I was being a nutter. Sorry!
I answered you in another Trump thread in what I hope was a supportive way.
Old 5th July 2019, 03:48 PM   #120
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I answered you in another Trump thread in what I hope was a supportive way.
I just saw! Thank you .

I've had a few outbursts in threads over the past few days due to all the anxiety, so I've been hesitant to check back into certain ones . I just keep getting little flashes of things I said and going, "Oooof."

I think I'm heading back toward normal, though. Well, "normal" lol.

Whatever will be will be, after all. And hope is key.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics