ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2019, 11:05 AM   #41
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
The irony is that he has lied about what his video is about.......while telling us people lie.
In my experience, conspiracy theorists have no moral problem with lying per se. They act as if it's okay to lie as long as one is lying about the designated enemy, the Powers That Be. The fact of having designated the enemy sets the moral barrier between him and the conspiracy theorist. Whatever the Powers That Be do is assumed to have ulterior motives, while whatever the conspiracy theorist does is presumed to be virtuous (or at least sufficiently Machiavellian).

Consequently the typical conspiracy theorist doesn't have a problem with his audience being sheeple. It's not that people are sheeple that bother him; it's that sheeple are following the wrong shepherd. The conspiracy theorist wants to be the shepherd -- i.e., seen as the heroic authority figure. The fact that he needs biased and gullible people for that doesn't enter into his thinking. You're only gullible, according to him, if you believe the designated enemy. Being "open-minded" means accepting what he says uncritically; specifically, open-mindedness doesn't extend to the possibility of the conspiracist himself being wrong. The easiest way to explain a conspiracy theorist's behavior -- the ones who don't know they're deliberately faking it -- is to consider that he approaches his pursuit from the presumption that he is untouchably virtuous and insightful, and that this trumps all.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:05 AM   #42
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And a huge problem with Conspiracy Thelories is so many are so damn boring. Just the same old crap recycled. You very occasionally find a theory with some new stuff which has some entertainment value, but not very often.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:27 AM   #43
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You think random internet forums are government operations?
For a government shill site, we sure have a lot of people hating on and bitching about the government. We may need some reeducation.

isissxn for Congress! Woop woop
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:37 PM   #44
Venom
Master Poster

And less than 1,000 users worldwide.

LOL.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:16 PM   #45
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
And less than 1,000 users worldwide.

LOL.
Of which members, a sizable cohort is not american.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:36 PM   #46
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
The video was removed by the user but has now been loaded up again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjj6fdM6Kmw

The opening scene has Indians waving the Indian flag and an Indian electoral poster. In the corner of the screen the news broadcaster who carried this story has the tag "Live in Tripoli"

Jerry Sprocket says "You were told this was Libya.......but is in fact India."

No. Not really. The flag clearly indicate it is India and some stupid newsroom stock footage researcher used the wrong stock footage. .........so what?
Or, it could be Indians, in Tripoli

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68956308.cms

Its probably not, but just sayin'
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:46 PM   #47
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Or, it could be Indians, in Tripoli

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68956308.cms

Its probably not, but just sayin'
Indians in Tripoli?

So who's ended up in the Halls of Montezuma?!
Old 11th July 2019, 02:07 PM   #48
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Perhaps he means Tripura.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 04:48 AM   #49
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Ahhh...sheeple.

It's good to hear the classics again.

Now we just need some realistice.
Yeah, haven't heard that one in a while.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:06 AM   #50
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...racy-theories/

I've posted this study before. It presents an interesting finding that conspiracy theorists see conspiracies as possible because they would engage in conspiratorial behavior themselves.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 09:12 AM   #51
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
For a government shill site, we sure have a lot of people hating on and bitching about the government. We may need some reeducation.

isissxn for Congress! Woop woop
Well - I'd vote for you!

Oh - hang on... I'm not allowed to!

Oops!
Old 13th July 2019, 12:28 PM   #52
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
Canít blame anyone but yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFuwFU6GB0
What are you posting about? The video is fake news? Or it was removed because it was a fake video?

Was it your video, and why is there no information about what the video is about? Are you projecting? Or what
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 12:36 PM   #53
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...racy-theories/

I've posted this study before. It presents an interesting finding that conspiracy theorists see conspiracies as possible because they would engage in conspiratorial behavior themselves.
In this case, this clown uses footage and music that he neither credits, or paid for. In fact he has yet to advance an original thought in any of his threads or "videos".

He just follows the herd...like a sheep...
Old 13th July 2019, 09:37 PM   #54
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Is this a conspiracy site or a government shill site?
You tell us since you came here.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 01:56 AM   #55
The Common Potato
Student

I'd call it no news. It's vanished. Not for the first time...
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 02:03 AM   #56
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFuwFU6GB0
Why not? Why canít you blame Bilderbergers, the NWO, Jews, aliens or the Mainstream Media (tm) for forcing you to make posts without content?
Old 14th July 2019, 02:10 AM   #57
The Common Potato
Student

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
People who don't spend too much time actually reading the sites they spam their theories to often see sections labeled along the lines of "Conspiracy Theories" and mistake them for the echo-chamber forums such as Godlike Productions or Above Top Secret, where skeptics are generally only briefly tolerated and the majority of the discussion simply wallows in tin-foil millinaria. Those posters are then often surprised when they get a skeptical response at forums like this.
Are you suggesting that they don't pay much attention to detail?

That's one of my thoughts on the subject. If you accept that they misunderstand the idea of this forum, it does make a bit more sense. If CTs believe that skeptics are merely posting their ideas of "what really happened", then them posting their alternative histories seems to be okay - they think they're doing the same thing.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 11:29 AM   #58
Allen773
Muse

Didn't watch. I suspect I made the right decision.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:22 PM   #59
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Of which members, a sizable cohort is not american.
globalists though...
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:24 PM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How do you explain YouTube letting publish on their platform?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:46 PM   #61
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
globalists though...
And Childless Europeans... don't forget them!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories