ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:31 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

Windows Server 2019

Hey guys,

Anyone have more than about 40 minutes experience with Windows Server 2019?

We're finally moving ahead with a few 2008 server upgrades. Normally with newer systems I like to key for the newest OS but downgrade to one I have more confidence in. I didn't mind server 2016, but given it's already 3 years back I was thinking of just leaving these OS's and moving forward. Trying to gauge peoples experience with it.

Any feedback is helpful!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:40 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I have three years experience with Windows Server 2019.

I also have over ten years experience with Windows Server deployments in the Azure cloud, if that helps.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:41 PM   #3
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Won't 2019 be pretty similar to 2016 since they will both be based on windows 10?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:09 PM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Won't 2019 be pretty similar to 2016 since they will both be based on windows 10?
That's what I assumed, but you know what they say assuming does. It makes an ass out of you and Ming.

The hugest concern I have is about compatibility between programs on the existing server migrating to the new server. I was hoping to hear a few horror stories so I could figure out what kind of prep time I'd need and how long it took people to figure it out.

2008 is sunset late this year or in January, I can't remember which. I have about 3 clients now that have to upgrade.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:12 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It depends. My recollection of the NT-based server OSes is that each one represented a quantum leap forward in features and capability. While many of the underlying concepts and paradigm were the same, implementation, options, and look and feel generally changed quite a bit, and there was a difference between knowing the previous version and really being proficient with the new one.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 06:02 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It depends. My recollection of the NT-based server OSes is that each one represented a quantum leap forward in features and capability. While many of the underlying concepts and paradigm were the same, implementation, options, and look and feel generally changed quite a bit, and there was a difference between knowing the previous version and really being proficient with the new one.
I agree with all of that. My concern is that those "features" are generally half assed until at least a year out or so out.

Old 12th July 2019, 11:09 PM   #7
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
IIRC server is now based on the previous windows release so that the bugs can be remedied before server is released. Server 2008 was based on windows Vista. Server 2008R2 was based on windows 7. Server 2012 based on windows 8. More I have heard that windows 10 will note be like Mac OS X. It's all going to be incremental improvements. Hence Server 2019 won't be a big change from server 2016.

We upgraded from 2008 R2 to 2016 with no problems. Fortunately the application vendor tested their application with the different OS versions and released a compatability list.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet