ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 31st July 2019, 03:39 PM   #41
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Our rightmost mainstream party is way left of your leftmost party....liberalism hasn't done us any harm over here.....in 2017 we had 35 murders in a country of five million people. But then we don't have a population made up of 35% redneck racists with a Racist in Chief as their Dear Leader

NOTE: Our 2019 jump in the murder rate was caused by a single ultra-right wing racist who imported himself from another country to kill people!
What percentage of your population is black and/or latino?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 03:43 PM   #42
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Right wingers have loved to throw urban crime statistics up as a smoke screen and have done so for decades. Since there aren't many Republican mayors of big cities, and even those that are Republican are not ultra-conservative, they can blame liberals for all the ills of urban life. It also has the benefit of allowing racial dog-whistling, if not open racism, because of large non-white populations, especially in cities with intensely impoverished, high-crime minority neighborhoods.

This same tactic used to include NYC, which was once the poster child of urban decay and a high-crime hellscape ruined by the libs and black people, but now its crime rates have fallen and it is a bustling hub and highly desirable place to live, despite being still run by libs and full of minorities.

Conservatives aren't interested in actually understanding the complex problems of endemic poverty and crime in large cities, because they know they will never be in positions of power in such cities. Right-wing conservative ideology is so politically toxic in these cities that no ultra-conservative Republican will ever be elected, so they are content to snipe in bad faith. No credit is given to liberal run, diverse big cities that are doing well.
Where can I find one of those?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 07:57 PM   #43
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
US homicide rate 2017: 5.3.
Canada homicide rate 2017: 1.8.

This leads me to conclude that the US is almost 3 times as liberal as Canada.
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The US is 3 times as black (per capita) as Canada.
It's more like four times, but that wouldn't fit your Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy. (Canada has 3 per 100 blacks, while US is over 12%.)

What that means, since all crime is the fault of the blacks, is.....

A certain percentage of American blacks are too lazy to commit crimes.
Or Canadian Cops are all corrupt and look the other way on blacks with imaginary cracked tail lights.
Or Canadian blacks are simply more criminal than American blacks, but that can't be, because it's a race thing as the enlightened OP has proved.
Many Canadian criminals lie and don't admit they're black.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 08:36 PM   #44
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
The U.S. has 120.5 guns per 100 citizens. Canada has 34.7.

If we’re playing Sharpshooter, I think the circle I drew is smaller.
Old 31st July 2019, 08:47 PM   #45
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky has a birthday
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
What percentage of your population is black and/or latino?
New Zealand
74% White
26% Black, Brown, Asian, Latino and everything else

USA
77% White
23% Black, Brown, Asian, Latino and everything else

That didn't just shoot your intended argument down, that strafed it before you could get it out of the hangar.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:03 PM   #46
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Any particular reason why you use the President's last, but the Representative's first name in the title?
I assume you are on first-name terms?
The name Elijah has more gravitas to it than Cummings.

Our rightmost mainstream party is way left of your leftmost party....liberalism hasn't done us any harm over here.....in 2017 we had 35 murders in a country of five million people. But then we don't have a population made up of 35% redneck racists with a Racist in Chief as their Dear Leader
Redneck rural "racists" are the scapegoats of the Left. It is a group the Left hates and blames for all the problems in the world.

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
For as long as I've been seeing right-wing propaganda, a recurring theme is that all our social problems are really caused by liberals, and the only solution offered is to vote against liberals so we can go back to ignoring social problems.
Compare New York City under the Liberal mayors of the 60s, 70s, 80s and topping it off with Dave "Disaster" Dinkins in the early 90s with mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg. New York City was going the way of other great American cities ruined by Liberals. Things were so bad under these mayors that NYC did not elect another Democratic mayor for 20 years! So yes, Democratic rule has been a disaster for our once great cities.

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Correlation is not causation. You don't even have a lot of data points to say something is correlated. You also dont say what has happened to all the other cities.
I do have a data point. Look at the murders in Baltimore before the Freddie Gray riots(April 27, 2015) and after. Look at the 2nd graph and notice how much the murder rate spikes after this date.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Now, my beef with the term "The Late Obama Age Collapse" isn't just about where the blame lies. It's an abuse of the term "age". Since when is eight years an age, dammit? (Yes, yes, eight years is an age of third graders, but you know what I mean.)
The term Late Obama Age collapse is a play on the term Late Bronze Age collapse. This was a period in history circa 1200BC when many of the great cities of the ancient world were destroyed in a very brief period of time.

If there were a strong correlation showing that after the Black Lives Matters movement, there were fewer arrests and less aggressive investigation of crimes, it wouldn't be racist to point that out. It wouldn't directly mean that the movement was to blame (it could be explained by police overreaction to criticism rather than the aims of the movement), of course.

But, of course, Tanabear did engage in nothing more than post hoc. A movement to decrease police shootings of unarmed men happened and murders increased. It's awfully hard to conclude that the former influenced, much less caused, the latter. How are the two connected?
No, I actually posted links that showed a decline in arrests and pro-active policing measures that led to the huge spike in the crime rate.

In 2016, officers made 85,493 arrest, a 24 percent decline from 2015's 112,996 and far below the 152,740 made in 2011...The biggest came between 2015 and 2016 in the aftermath of the Laquan McDonald shooting...

Remember, the murder rate went up 57% in 2016 in Chicago!

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I'm curious to know what a right wing utopia looks like and what - if any - major American cities embody it.
Mayberry. If you want a police force like Mayberry you need a community like Mayberry.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2019, 10:11 PM   #47
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
The name Elijah has more gravitas to it than Cummings.

Redneck rural "racists" are the scapegoats of the Left. It is a group the Left hates and blames for all the problems in the world.

Compare New York City under the Liberal mayors of the 60s, 70s, 80s and topping it off with Dave "Disaster" Dinkins in the early 90s with mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg. New York City was going the way of other great American cities ruined by Liberals. Things were so bad under these mayors that NYC did not elect another Democratic mayor for 20 years! So yes, Democratic rule has been a disaster for our once great cities.

I do have a data point. Look at the murders in Baltimore before the Freddie Gray riots(April 27, 2015) and after. Look at the 2nd graph and notice how much the murder rate spikes after this date.

The term Late Obama Age collapse is a play on the term Late Bronze Age collapse. This was a period in history circa 1200BC when many of the great cities of the ancient world were destroyed in a very brief period of time.

No, I actually posted links that showed a decline in arrests and pro-active policing measures that led to the huge spike in the crime rate.

In 2016, officers made 85,493 arrest, a 24 percent decline from 2015's 112,996 and far below the 152,740 made in 2011...The biggest came between 2015 and 2016 in the aftermath of the Laquan McDonald shooting...

Remember, the murder rate went up 57% in 2016 in Chicago!

Mayberry. If you want a police force like Mayberry you need a community like Mayberry.
Oooh, can I be Otis?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 12:02 AM   #48
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Redneck rural "racists" are the scapegoats of the Left.
....and they wouldn't be if they didn't do such a bang up job of showing their true colours as they live up to their name and reputation.

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st August 2019 at 12:04 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 12:03 AM   #49
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Oooh, can I be Otis?
You wanna be an elevator?
Old 1st August 2019, 12:25 AM   #50
Mumbles
Philosopher

I mean, this is a good game and all...
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 12:37 AM   #51
Baylor
Philosopher

USA
77% White
23% Black, Brown, Asian, Latino and everything else
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 02:14 AM   #52
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The US has 5.3 murders a year per 100,000 people. Guinea-Bissau has 1.10.

I don't think the issue is how many black people there are in the population.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 1st August 2019 at 02:28 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 02:26 AM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Old 1st August 2019, 04:56 AM   #54
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

The US is 3 times as black (per capita) as Canada.
Ah, so it's not about liberalism. It's a matter of how many black folk there are.

Is this the new thesis?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 04:57 AM   #55
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It's more like four times, but that wouldn't fit your Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy. (Canada has 3 per 100 blacks, while US is over 12%.)

What that means, since all crime is the fault of the blacks, is.....

A certain percentage of American blacks are too lazy to commit crimes.
Or Canadian Cops are all corrupt and look the other way on blacks with imaginary cracked tail lights.
Or Canadian blacks are simply more criminal than American blacks, but that can't be, because it's a race thing as the enlightened OP has proved.
Many Canadian criminals lie and don't admit they're black.
Well, or the racist hypothesis doesn't require a linear relationship. Be fair.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 06:13 AM   #56
Arcade22
Philosopher

Ah, so it's not about liberalism. It's a matter of how many black folk there are.

Is this the new thesis?
We all known who's really behind liberalism (and all other bad things in the world) don't we?
Old 1st August 2019, 06:35 AM   #57
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
We all known who's really behind liberalism (and all other bad things in the world) don't we?
(((who ?)))
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 06:41 AM   #58
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

NOTE: Our 2019 jump in the murder rate was caused by a single ultra-right wing racist who imported himself from another country to kill people!
Disingenuous as ever.

Like Australia, Scandinavia and any number of "developed" countries which have sparse populations (single-digit, maybe double-digits of millions), NZ and its cities are in no way comparable to continental Europe, the US and their metropolises. Which you well know, unless you're going to lie about it (liberals and lying).

'Quality of life' and per-capita wealth means the former can, at least for now, easily afford the indulgence of profligate leftist-liberal 'public spending' with no danger of creating urban hellholes like the ones it's created in the US.
Old 1st August 2019, 06:53 AM   #59
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

The city of Baltimore is back in the news again due to the tweet storm between President Trump and Representative Elijah Cummings. Let's focus on this specific debate and discuss the conditions of our large urban centers and what has happened to them.

The Black Lives Matter movement became prominent in 2014 over the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson and Eric Garner in New York City. It became a very powerful movement during the last few years of the Obama administration. Let's assess the results in a few cities.

1) Baltimore: The murder rate exploded in 2015, the year of Freddie Gray and the riots.

Year | Murders | Rate

2013 233 37.4

2014 211 33.8

2015 344 55.4

2016 318 51.4

2017 343 57.8

2018 309 50.5

The Baltimore riots occurred on April 27, 2015 and there is a sharp increase in homicides right after this point.

2) St Louis: The murder rate exploded in 2014, the year of Michael Brown in Ferguson.

Year | Murders

2013 120

2014 159

2015 188

2016 188

2017 205

3) Chicago: The murder rate exploded in 2016, the year after Laquan McDonald and the ACLU victories over the CPD.

Year | Murders

2013 421

2014 416

2015 485

2016 764

2017 650

2018 555

Note: The murder rate in Chicago jumped 57 percent in one year, 2016!

In 2015, the U.S. experienced the largest single year increase in its homicide rate since 1990, according to the most recently available data from the FBI.3 In that year, cities like Baltimore, Milwaukee, and Washington, D.C. saw their homicide rates grow at least as fast as Chicago’s did in 2016.

University of Chicago Crime Lab

The total number of homicides nationally in 2016 was 20% higher than in 2014. This increase was primarily concentrated in a few urban areas. So there was an additional 4,450 murders over the base year of 2014. This is more than the number of Americans killed on 9/11 and roughly the same as the number of Americans killed in Iraq.

This sudden and sharp increase in the murder rate has been dubbed the Ferguson effect, the Black Lives Matter effect or simply Late Obama Age collapse. It is a striking indication of what happens when the Left takes over and subverts law enforcement.

But who was held accountable for this disaster? No one as far as I can tell. The Left will call you a "racist" for simply pointing this out. Trump deserves credit for not bowing to the outrage mob.

The wages of Liberalism is death.
Or maybe solving crime relies on good relationships between police and the community and so events which disrupt that relationship will almost always be followed by crime waves.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 07:11 AM   #60
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Disingenuous as ever.

Like Australia, Scandinavia and any number of "developed" countries which have sparse populations (single-digit, maybe double-digits of millions), NZ and its cities are in no way comparable to continental Europe, the US and their metropolises. Which you well know, unless you're going to lie about it (liberals and lying).

'Quality of life' and per-capita wealth means the former can, at least for now, easily afford the indulgence of profligate leftist-liberal 'public spending' with no danger of creating urban hellholes like the ones it's created in the US.
America is a poor third world country is what it boils down to in the end.
Old 1st August 2019, 07:16 AM   #61
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Disingenuous as ever.

So, the more conservative US fails to provide both wealth and safety to its citizens?
Old 1st August 2019, 07:54 AM   #62
Steve
Philosopher

Disingenuous as ever.

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
So, the more conservative US fails to provide both wealth and safety to its citizens?

Also note that Scandinavia is apparently not a part of continental Europe.

The implication appears to be that, as the US population continues to grow it will become less and less governable. This will necessitate moving further and further to the political right until fascism is the only choice left.
Old 1st August 2019, 10:06 AM   #63
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The implication appears to be that, as the US population continues to grow it will become less and less governable. This will necessitate moving further and further to the political right until fascism is the only choice left.
Because obviously we aren't making the wrong choices in governance, we just haven't implemented those choices hard enough yet.

"Okay, so I'm down $3500 at the blackjack table, but if I sink in another $10k or so it'll turn around!"
Old 1st August 2019, 10:51 AM   #64
carlitos
"más divertido"

I googled "Late Obama Age collapse".

I want everyone to brace themselves because this may come as a shock: It's from the title of a book written by a white supremacist.
That's disappointing but not surprising. Several posters here have been using racist / white power / MRA slang on this board. Boomers, wrongthink, chads ...

Disingenuous as ever.

In no way comparable? That's a bit of a stretch.

Place Population Density per square mile
New Zealand 45
Italy 81
USA 90
Sweden 57
Auckland 3182
Rome 5870
Chicago 11868
Stockholm 12624

On the bright side, I learned something new about Scandinavia today, and I'm Scandinavian!

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Scandinavia

Especially in Germanic studies, continental refers to the European continent excluding the Scandinavian peninsula, Britain, Ireland, and Iceland. The reason for this is that although the Scandinavian peninsula is attached to continental Europe, and accessible via a land route along the 66th parallel north, it is usually reached by sea.

Kontinenten ("the Continent") is a vernacular Swedish expression that refers to the area excluding Sweden, Norway, and Finland but including Denmark (even the Danish archipelago) and the rest of continental Europe. In Norway, similarly, one speaks about Kontinentet as a separate entity.

The Scandinavian peninsula is now connected to the Danish mainland (Jutland) by several bridges and tunnels.

As in the British Isles, the dominant philosophical tradition in Scandinavia is analytic philosophy rather than Continental philosophy.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 11:08 AM   #65
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Any particular reason why you use the President's last, but the Representative's first name in the title?
I assume you are on first-name terms?
I have an idea.

Originally Posted by Racial Etiquette: The Racial Customs and Rules of Racial Behaviour in Jim Crow America By Ronald L. F. Davis, Historian California State University, Northridge
Blacks were expected to refer to white males in positions of authority as "Boss" or "Cap'n"--a title of respect that replaced "Master"or "Marster" used in slave times. Sometimes, the white children of one's white employer or a prominent white person might be called "Massa," to show special respect. If a white person was well known, a black servant or hired hand or tenant might speak in somewhat intimate terms, addressing the white person as "Mr. John" or "Miss Mary."

All black men, on the other hand, were called by their first names or were referred to as "Boy," "Uncle," and "Old Man"--regardless of their age. If the white person did not personally know a black person, the term "******" or "******-fellow," might be used. In legal cases and the press, blacks were often referred to by the word "Negro" with a first name attached, such as "Negro Sam." At other times, the term "Jack," or somecommon name, was universally used in addressing black men not known to the white speaker. On the Pullman Sleeping cars on trains, for example, all the black porters answered to the name of "boy" or simply "George" (after the first name of George Pullman, who owned and built the Pullman Sleeping Cars).
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 11:09 AM   #66
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That's disappointing but not surprising. Several posters here have been using racist / white power / MRA slang on this board. Boomers, wrongthink, chads ...

New Zealand 45
Italy 81
USA 90
Sweden 57
Auckland 3182
Rome 5870
Chicago 11868
Stockholm 12624
But Sweden is one of the worst countries in the world where billions of white women are raped every single day (by non-white people only, obviously) and immigrants get to murder and rape with complete impunity!

Don't emulate us because, truth be told, we're a terrible country. In fact we are the worst country on earth. Be like Nazi-Germany or North Korea. Those countries truly cared about their people...

Last edited by Arcade22; 1st August 2019 at 11:11 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 11:13 AM   #67
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Is this the new thesis?
Yes, (((they))) are “replacing” Real Americans(TM) with black and brown people, is the full thesis.

Not that that’s racist or anything.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 11:31 AM   #68
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

It’s great that so many of our conservative forum members volunteered to out themselves as racist all in one thread. It makes it much easier to notate for future reference.

Thanks guys!
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 03:46 PM   #69
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Quote:

New Zealand 45
Italy 81
USA 90
Sweden 57
Auckland 3182
Rome 5870
Chicago 11868
Stockholm 12624

On the bright side, I learned something new about Scandinavia today, and I'm Scandinavian!
Stockholm has the largest population of any city in Sweden (possibly in Scandinavia), 1.25M. Only one other has a population of more than 0.5M, most are a few 100K.

The US? New York has more than 8M. There are probably about a hundred cities with populations higher than Stockholm's.

So no, it isn't a stretch.

ETA >> something of an overestimate re. US city sizes, but the point remains

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 1st August 2019 at 03:53 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 03:49 PM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I remember a couple of years ago I read a comparison of Baltimore with Muskogee, OK. You know, the right wing town where that country singer was proud to be from?

Three guesses as to which came out looking worse....
Kinky Friedman did a great parody of "Okie From Muskogee" called "A Hole From El Paso".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:34 PM   #71
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Oooh, can I be Otis?
Any town drunk will do.

....and they wouldn't be if they didn't do such a bang up job of showing their true colours as they live up to their name and reputation.
Rural rednecks are least privileged and powerful group in America. They are the butt of jokes and are routinely demeaned for their way of life. Rednecks have no power culturally or governmentally and they certainly have no power in our great liberal cities. Whatever problems Baltimore, Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Louis have it certainly can't be laid at the feet of rednecks.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Or maybe solving crime relies on good relationships between police and the community and so events which disrupt that relationship will almost always be followed by crime waves.
This is true. The rise of the Black Lives Matter(BLM) movement was largely based on a fiction though, "Hands up, don't shoot." This lie was comparable in its negative effects as Iraq, WMD and links to Al-Qaeda. When you have BLM and their supporters marching through streets chanting, "Cops and Klan go hand and hand", it certainly doesn't help the police-community relationship.

But this is exactly my point. The hostility to the police that came out of the BLM movement caused the cops to retreat to the donut shops so to speak. There was less pro-active policing and attempts to prevent crimes from occurring to begin with. This led to a huge spike in the murder/crime rate in these cities. With thousands of extra murders and destroyed communities, was it worth it?

Bernie Sanders considered West Baltimore to resemble a third world country. "...anyone who took the walk that we took around this neighborhood would not think you’re in a wealthy nation. You would think that you’re in a third world country.”
Bernie Sanders.

It’s great that so many of our conservative forum members volunteered to out themselves as racist all in one thread. It makes it much easier to notate for future reference.

Thanks guys!
Yes, I know how this game is played. Anyone winning an argument with a Leftist is a racist. A "racist" is just someone who isn't afraid to tell the truth.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Kinky Friedman did a great parody of "Okie From Muskogee" called "A Hole From El Paso".
His best was, "Get your biscuits in the oven and your buns in the bed."

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:45 PM   #72
carlitos
"más divertido"

Trump vs Elijah: Baltimore, BLM and urban decay

Stockholm has the largest population of any city in Sweden (possibly in Scandinavia), 1.25M. Only one other has a population of more than 0.5M, most are a few 100K.

You said “sparse” population, which relates to density, not absolute numbers. So you meant small populations when you said “sparse?” Ok.
The US? New York has more than 8M. There are probably about a hundred cities with populations higher than Stockholm's.

So no, it isn't a stretch.

ETA >> something of an overestimate re. US city sizes, but the point remains.
Something, yes. The point, no, you have failed to make one.

There are literally only nine US cities with more population than Stockholm You were off by a factor of 10. Maybe you should try reading about this.

Last edited by carlitos; 1st August 2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Messed up quotes
Old 1st August 2019, 05:49 PM   #73
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Any town drunk will do.

Rural rednecks are least privileged and powerful group in America. They are the butt of jokes and are routinely demeaned for their way of life. Rednecks have no power culturally or governmentally and they certainly have no power in our great liberal cities. Whatever problems Baltimore, Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Louis have it certainly can't be laid at the feet of rednecks.

This is true. The rise of the Black Lives Matter(BLM) movement was largely based on a fiction though, "Hands up, don't shoot." This lie was comparable in its negative effects as Iraq, WMD and links to Al-Qaeda. When you have BLM and their supporters marching through streets chanting, "Cops and Klan go hand and hand", it certainly doesn't help the police-community relationship.

But this is exactly my point. The hostility to the police that came out of the BLM movement caused the cops to retreat to the donut shops so to speak. There was less pro-active policing and attempts to prevent crimes from occurring to begin with. This led to a huge spike in the murder/crime rate in these cities. With thousands of extra murders and destroyed communities, was it worth it?

Bernie Sanders considered West Baltimore to resemble a third world country. "...anyone who took the walk that we took around this neighborhood would not think you’re in a wealthy nation. You would think that you’re in a third world country.”
Bernie Sanders.

Yes, I know how this game is played. Anyone winning an argument with a Leftist is a racist. A "racist" is just someone who isn't afraid to tell the truth.

His best was, "Get your biscuits in the oven and your buns in the bed."
Your victim complex routine is spot on.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:50 PM   #74
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Disingenuous as ever.

You are lying again.

The biggest two cities in the USA are New York (8,398,748) and then, Los Angeles (3,990,456)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Sydney has a population of (5,230,330)
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2019, 05:58 PM   #75
carlitos
"más divertido"

Sydney and Melbourne would be the second and third largest cities in the United States.
Old 1st August 2019, 06:45 PM   #76
Steve
Philosopher

I know the urge can be strong to try introducing facts to Trumpers, but it really is a waste of time. Facts are just as flexible to them as they are to their leader and his mouthpieces - “alternate facts”!
Old 1st August 2019, 10:23 PM   #77
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is a cool selection of Tweets on how many convicted criminals have or had Appartments in Trump Tower - talk about crime infested.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:43 AM   #78
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

No, a racist is someone who blames society's ills on black people and openly cribs from an established white supremacist in making that argument.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:43 AM   #79
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

You said “sparse” population, which relates to density, not absolute numbers. So you meant small populations when you said “sparse?” Ok.
You're talking b******s. The populations of Scandinavia and Australasia are both small and sparse.

The population densities of Scandinavian cities may well be as high or higher than many US or continental European ones, but the total populations and areas are minute in comparison. Once cities the size of those in the US decay beyond a certain point they're to all intents screwed, FUBAR.

But you carry on obfuscating and playing semantic games if it makes you happy.

Edited by jsfisher:  Erroneous moderator edit unedited. Nothing to see here, folks.... Move along.

Last edited by jsfisher; 3rd August 2019 at 11:53 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:46 AM   #80
IsThisTheLife
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
You are lying again.

The biggest two cities in the USA are New York (8,398,748) and then, Los Angeles (3,990,456)

Sydney has a population of (5,230,330)
How many large cities does Australia have? What's its population?

Pathological.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics