ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 21st August 2019, 07:08 AM   #361
Cain
Straussian

I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns shortly after losing re-election. I can't see him meeting with the president-elect to give advice, or sitting through the inauguration.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:09 AM   #362
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Meanwhile...

The Secretary of Energy, the department tasked with overseeing our nuclear stockpile, is posting pseudo-legal screeds on instagram. Only the best people in the Trump cabinet.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECdyttkWwAAJ82Z.jpg:small
Oh my goodness, that is straight from the freedom of land craziness.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:09 AM   #363
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns shortly after losing re-election. I can't see him meeting with the president-elect to give advice, or sitting through the inauguration.
I can't see the President elect wanting to meet Trump either, so it would be a win-win.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:10 AM   #364
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I DO NOT CONSENT!!!!
Or since the agreement will have the words something like " I agree to the terms and conditions" he is being stupid.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:14 AM   #365
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Or less.
No, I think the best way is that the USA and the rest of the world just never mention this terrible time again. I think we can all agree to that.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:19 AM   #366
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
He would first make sure to issue pardons for himself, his family, and whichever cronies were sufficiently loyal at that moment.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:28 AM   #367
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Doing great with China and other Trade Deals. The only problem we have is Jay Powell and the Fed. He’s like a golfer who can’t putt, has no touch. Big U.S. growth if he does the right thing, BIG CUT - but don’t count on him! So far he has called it wrong, and only let us down....

.....We are competing with many countries that have a far lower interest rate, and we should be lower than them. Yesterday, “highest Dollar in U.S.History.” No inflation. Wake up Federal Reserve. Such growth potential, almost like never before!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:29 AM   #368
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3000, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Very little impact on the environment! Foolish executives!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:32 AM   #369
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

TrumpTweets

So Germany is paying Zero interest and is actually being paid to borrow money, while the U.S., a far stronger and more important credit, is paying interest and just stopped (I hope!) Quantitative Tightening. Strongest Dollar in History, very tough on exports. No Inflation!.....

....WHERE IS THE FEDERAL RESERVE?
Old 21st August 2019, 08:10 AM   #370
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3000, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Very little impact on the environment! Foolish executives!

For context, he proposed rolling back federal automotive fuel efficiency and emissions standards (they're President Obama's, after all) and is fighting California's ability to set their own standards, but four automakers agreed to follow California's stricter standards.

Quote:
Four major automakers said on Thursday they have reached an agreement with California on fuel efficiency rules, bypassing a Trump administration effort to strip the state of the right to fight climate change by setting its own standards.
California and other states had vowed to enforce stricter Obama-era emissions standards, after President Donald Trump proposed rolling back the federal rules. Automakers had worried that court battles between state and federal governments could create years of uncertainty for manufacturers.

The White House showed no willingness to reopen talks, saying “the federal government, not a single state, should set this standard. We are moving forward to finalize a rule for the benefit of all Americans.”

State's Rights!! Unless corporations don't want it. Oh wait, these corporations do. What a conundrum.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:16 AM   #371
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Oh my goodness, that is straight from the freedom of land craziness.
This was the guy who didn't know that he would be in charge of maintaining our nuclear arsenal until after he got the job.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:21 AM   #372
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
For context, he proposed rolling back federal automotive fuel efficiency and emissions standards (they're President Obama's, after all) and is fighting California's ability to set their own standards, but four automakers agreed to follow California's stricter standards.

State's Rights!! Unless corporations don't want it. Oh wait, these corporations do. What a conundrum.
They are "politically correct."

OR

maybe it's a financial decision based on things like sunk costs and issues of meeting all the standards all over (so, for example, they don't have to make a "Texas car" and a "California car." They just make the California car and sell it everywhere).

Finally, it's not like consumers don't like gas mileage. And maybe it is cheaper up front, but give me 10 more mpg, and that is 150 more miles per tank of gas. If I am getting 30 mpg instead of 20, than is 5 gallons of gas saved per tank, and at $3/gallon, that is $15 per tank. If you fill up once a week, that's $750 per year you save. So by going with better gas mileage, I have just made up that $3000 cost difference in 4 years. We drive our cars for 10. So over 10 years, that is a difference of $4500.

YMMV
(literally!)
Old 21st August 2019, 08:30 AM   #373
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Apparently it's more important to cater towards Israelis than Americans. Now that's patriotic.
I didn't interpret Trump's disloyalty comment as American Jews being disloyal to Trump or America, but disloyal to Israel. Seems pretty clear to me that Trump views American Jews as basically foreign nationals from Israel, so the ideological split between American Jews and Israeli policy is hard for him to understand.

I'm sure the implicit accusation that American Jews are more foreigners than Americans is not lost on the Jews, but fits well within the narrative non-jew Trumpistas believe. Expecting them to have the nuanced reasoning to understand that believing American Jews are automatically loyal to Israel is an anti-Semitic trope and insult is a bridge too far.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 21st August 2019 at 08:32 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:41 AM   #374
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Interesting bit of news that got buried: at the same event at which he accused Democrat-voting Jews of "disloyalty", just before that statement grabbed all the press; apparently Trump conceded that there might be a "small, two-month recession" on the way, but that it's okay because it's necessary in order to ultimately win the trade war. This despite him and his advisers in recent days expounding that there's absolutely no evidence of an impending recession.
Ummm.... technically I don't think its possible to have a '2 month recession'.

A recession is defined by a decline in GDP over 2 quarters. The shortest possible recession would be one that lasted half a year.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:42 AM   #375
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
He has changed his position from "Imma nuke you!" to exchanging love letters.

It's also notable that Kim has ceased making threats against USA, and is firing missiles on trajectories not towards US and its allies.

The situation is completely different to what it was in 2017.
Yep. Kim has got the POTUS wrapped around his chubby little finger. Never got that far before.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:50 AM   #376
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
They are "politically correct."

OR

maybe it's a financial decision based on things like sunk costs and issues of meeting all the standards all over (so, for example, they don't have to make a "Texas car" and a "California car." They just make the California car and sell it everywhere).

Finally, it's not like consumers don't like gas mileage. And maybe it is cheaper up front, but give me 10 more mpg, and that is 150 more miles per tank of gas. If I am getting 30 mpg instead of 20, than is 5 gallons of gas saved per tank, and at $3/gallon, that is $15 per tank. If you fill up once a week, that's $750 per year you save. So by going with better gas mileage, I have just made up that $3000 cost difference in 4 years. We drive our cars for 10. So over 10 years, that is a difference of $4500.

YMMV
(literally!)
It depends on the consumer and depends on how it is pitched. IIRC there was a study which showed that a majority of Conservatives would buy non-eco lightbulbs even if they were more expensive to buy and run if the alternatives were branded as ECO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:51 AM   #377
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It depends on the consumer and depends on how it is pitched. IIRC there was a study which showed that a majority of Conservatives would buy non-eco lightbulbs even if they were more expensive to buy and run if the alternatives were branded as ECO.
And of course there is rolling coal.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:51 AM   #378
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Apparently it's more important to cater towards Israelis than Americans. Now that's patriotic.
Well, I guess if you were measuring 'patriotism' it might be considered a step up compared to catering to Russia. At least Israel is sort of an ally.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:57 AM   #379
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

To absolutely nobody's surprise....

Looks like Trump has abandoned his call for stricter background checks following recent mass shootings.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/polit...rre/index.html
In the aftermath of the two shootings, Trump signaled support for strengthening background checks, but has since cooled on the idea, repeating a familiar pattern he's taken in the wake of gun tragedies after news coverage has subsided. A source familiar with the details of Tuesday's call between Trump and LaPierre, first reported by The Atlantic, said the President told the NRA chief that universal background checks are "off the table."

Republicans gotta get that sweet Russian-backed NRA support somehow.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2019, 09:21 AM   #380
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
President Trump went on Twitter on Wednesday to quote a conservative radio host and known conspiracy theorist who praised him as “the greatest President for Jews” and claimed that Israelis “love him like he is the second coming of God.”

In his tweets, Trump thanked Wayne Allyn Root for “the very nice words.”

Root has promoted numerous conspiracy theories, including that former president Barack Obama was not born in the United States, that Democratic National Committee staff member Seth Rich was killed by any one of a number of prominent Democrats, that a mass shooting in Las Vegas was coordinated by Muslims and that the person responsible for the death of Heather Heyer at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville was paid by a wealthy Democrat.

Root’s comments came from a broadcast Tuesday night by Newsmax, in which he also lamented that “75 percent of all Jews vote Democrat.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...be4_story.html

Of course you'd have to be utterly insane to write a tribute like that.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:24 AM   #381
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In North Dakota you wouldn't be able to run too many of the electric\high MPG cars because they just aren't made to function in our winters.

You just don't see electric cars up here with any regularity because it would be the equivalent of having a motorcycle. You can drive it during the summer, but you need something reliable (preferably all or 4 WD) in order to function.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:25 AM   #382
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Can't wait for evangelical Christians to explain away the POTUS endorsing the idea that he's the second coming of the Messiah.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:27 AM   #383
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Can't wait for evangelical Christians to explain away the POTUS endorsing the idea that he's the second coming of the Messiah.
There's gonna not care while looking at the two SCOTUS Justices he put on the Supreme Court for them.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:29 AM   #384
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They already feel he was chosen by god to lead them, why is this suddenly a bridge to far?
Old 21st August 2019, 09:33 AM   #385
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
They already feel he was chosen by god to lead them, why is this suddenly a bridge to far?
Oh, they're gonna do it. The insanity will be delicious.

Laughing is preferable to going insane, so I'll laugh. I must have died sometime in the last few years and now I'm in hell. It's the only explanation.

Edit:

Trump has clarified that his disloyalty comment meant that American Jews were disloyal to Israel. So there you go, Trump criticizing American Jews for failing to live up to the anti-semitic trope that they owe loyalty to Israel.

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/s...04228883230722

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 21st August 2019 at 09:38 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 09:41 AM   #386
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
To absolutely nobody's surprise....

Looks like Trump has abandoned his call for stricter background checks following recent mass shootings.
That's simple math. Such a law would offer no help whatsoever for his chances in 2020. The only thing it could possibly do is save some American lives.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:45 AM   #387
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
In North Dakota you wouldn't be able to run too many of the electric\high MPG cars because they just aren't made to function in our winters.

You just don't see electric cars up here with any regularity because it would be the equivalent of having a motorcycle. You can drive it during the summer, but you need something reliable (preferably all or 4 WD) in order to function.
There are electric all-wheel drive vehicles. And I'm not sure why they would be considered 'less reliable' than a gasoline-powered vehicle. In fact, the electric motors may actually be less prone to failure than the internal combustion engine.

Now, range might be an issue... someone living in rural areas in the state may need to drive further than an electric vehicle can handle. But, a large number of people in North Dakota do live in cities (I'd say half live in small to medium size cities of at least 25,000 people). Those people probably don't require the range that people living in rural areas do, and could probably use an electric car for their daily use.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2019, 09:54 AM   #388
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
There are electric all-wheel drive vehicles. And I'm not sure why they would be considered 'less reliable' than a gasoline-powered vehicle. In fact, the electric motors may actually be less prone to failure than the internal combustion engine.

Now, range might be an issue... someone living in rural areas in the state may need to drive further than an electric vehicle can handle. But, a large number of people in North Dakota do live in cities (I'd say half live in small to medium size cities of at least 25,000 people). Those people probably don't require the range that people living in rural areas do, and could probably use an electric car for their daily use.
Cold can also be an issue, as it kills pure electric vehicle range. Not sure hybrids would be a problem though.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:13 AM   #389
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Now, range might be an issue...
Cold can also be an issue, as it kills pure electric vehicle range. Not sure hybrids would be a problem though.
Cold does affect battery performance. But, the loss of range is around 20-40%. If you're living and working in (for example) Fargo, you should still be able to get to and from your work even on colder days.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2019, 10:19 AM   #390
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump Tweets

Wow, who else could have come up with such an astonishingly, revolutionary plan?
Old 21st August 2019, 10:24 AM   #391
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oh and now he's all upset because the Danish PM "blew him off". The man has skin the thickness of wet tissue paper.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:25 AM   #392
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Mike Pence is either the most confused man in the world right now or the most delighted.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:40 AM   #393
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Half of all new cars sold in Norway are electric cars.

(And half of those are Teslas. American brand and American made. When the Norwegian PM visited Trump last year, and he bragged that Norway had a trade deficit with the US, the Teslas are a major reason for that deficit. We love them. The USA could be world leaders in this area, but it seems they're not interested. Finally an American made car is in high demand, but poo, it's not the right kind of car.)

I'm not so sure North Dakotan winters are that different from Norwegian winters. Electric cars are used all over the country here, from north to south.

There are a lot of myths about electric cars. Most of them are bunk.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 10:53 AM   #394
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

In the press gaggle today, he himself said he was "the Chosen One", while lookup up and lifting his arms to the sky.

I wish I was making that up.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:55 AM   #395
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Half of all new cars sold in Norway are electric cars.

(And half of those are Teslas. American brand and American made. When the Norwegian PM visited Trump last year, and he bragged that Norway had a trade deficit with the US, the Teslas are a major reason for that deficit. We love them. The USA could be world leaders in this area, but it seems they're not interested. Finally an American made car is in high demand, but poo, it's not the right kind of car.)

I'm not so sure North Dakotan winters are that different from Norwegian winters. Electric cars are used all over the country here, from north to south.

There are a lot of myths about electric cars. Most of them are bunk.
You probably pay for road maintenance though.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:01 AM   #396
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
In the press gaggle today, he himself said he was "the Chosen One", while lookup up and lifting his arms to the sky.

I wish I was making that up.
I wish he were the chosen one! in Shirley Jackson's lottery.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:07 AM   #397
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

You probably pay for road maintenance though.
Yes? It's called taxes...

But what difference does that make between electric and fossil fuel cars?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:11 AM   #398
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I'd say it's much more likely he feels angry about being laughed at and having had the Danish PM reject his daft idea outright and his cancelling/postponing the meeting was done out of spite, because that's the way he reacts to pretty much everything.
I think you are right. He lost face on the Greenland issue. His own fault because he let it get public instead of making discrete inquiries like any competent statesman would do, so not he acts offended.

So sad. So predictable.

hans
Old 21st August 2019, 11:12 AM   #399
Distracted1
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Tetraethyllead ?
Old 21st August 2019, 11:13 AM   #400
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Norway manges

My Skoda Octavia seats 5, runs on petrol, has 150hp so is sufficiently powerful and I'm averaging over 50 mpg.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics