ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th August 2019, 10:09 AM   #121
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Great cohesion inside the Republican Party, the best I have ever seen. Despite all of the Fake News, my Poll Numbers are great. New internal polls show them to be the strongest we’ve had so far! Think what they’d be if I got fair media coverage!
While this obviously means there's dissension in the ranks, I wonder who it is. Hasn't he already cast out the disloyal and unworthy?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:38 AM   #122
Armitage72
Illuminator

As predicted, Trump has publicly criticized Fox News for their recent poll that showed his low approval rating.

Quote:
"Well, Fox has always given me -- I'll tell you, Fox is a lot different than it used to be, I can tell you that. ... Fox has changed. And my worst polls have always been from Fox. There's something going on at Fox, I'll tell you right now. And I'm not happy with it."

He's "not happy" that what he thought was his personal state-run news isn't relentlessly kissing his butt like they did in the past.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:42 AM   #123
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Yup, they weren't necessarily forced to go, but if they used PTO it wouldn't go towards their overtime pay. They also didn't have to use PTO since it was an excused absence, but they could if they still wanted pay for that time.

I'm not saying it isn't a ****** thing to do, just pointing out the details.

Per the memo:

Quote:
Your attendance is not mandatory. This will be considered an excused absence. However, those who are NOT in attendance will not receive overtime pay on Friday
Exactly, and per the memo one of the details is they were explicitly denied overtime pay for Friday, if they didn't attend, that they normally would have gotten. So not only were they paid to attend they were told they would be paid less than normal if they did not attend (least those that would get OT on Fridays) and instructed not to freely express themselves during that attendance. A triple ****** thing to do.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:47 AM   #124
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
And how many divisions does Greenland have?
As in Army?

Why is that important? Are you suggesting the USA should just take Greenland?
I'm guessing it's referencing this

The Pope! How many divisions has he got?
Said sarcastically to Pierre Laval in 1935, in response to being asked whether he could do anything with Russian Catholics to help Laval win favour with the Pope, to counter the increasing threat of Nazism; as quoted in The Second World War (1948) by Winston Churchill vol. 1, ch. 8, p. 105.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 19th August 2019 at 10:48 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 10:57 AM   #125
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Since it is the union itself trying to portray solidarity of its members in support of Trump, I have to wonder what is the union getting out of it? I'd expect Trump would try to bust the union in second if it helped his bottom line.
Old 19th August 2019, 11:05 AM   #126
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Since it is the union itself trying to portray solidarity of its members in support of Trump, I have to wonder what is the union getting out of it? I'd expect Trump would try to bust the union in second if it helped his bottom line.

When I was a member of the Public Employees Federation at the end of the 2000s, I always heard Republicans say that unions are responsible for the destruction of American industry. They used to be necessary to protect workers a long time ago, but they aren't needed anymore and should be abolished. Sometimes the old "Communist plot" canard was even dragged out.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 11:26 AM   #127
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
He's such an idiot, who believes that crap? Or do they just ignore his nonsense and make excuses why that's just Trump and it doesn't matter?
Old 19th August 2019, 11:39 AM   #128
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
As predicted, Trump has publicly criticized Fox News for their recent poll that showed his low approval rating.

He's "not happy" that what he thought was his personal state-run news isn't relentlessly kissing his butt like they did in the past.
Admittedly, I am curious about Fox news, and their occasional bouts of honesty.

Is this some sort of last shred of integrity coming from holdouts in the network who have avoided drinking the koolaid?

Or is this a realization by Fox executives that Trump may actually be in trouble, and even their most active cheerleading won't be able to save his campaign. So its a cynical attempt by Fox to distance themselves from Trump (the rats deserting the sinking ship).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 11:47 AM   #129
plague311
Great minds think...

Since this administration pulled us out of the treaty, I figured this would work here.

Originally Posted by CNN
The US military conducted a flight test of a conventional ground-launched cruise missile off the western coast of the US Sunday, a missile test that would have been previously banned under the now defunct Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, the Pentagon said Monday.

The US withdrew from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty with Moscow earlier this month after years of accusing Russia of violating the treaty via its deployment of its nuclear-capable SSC-8 missile...
We have to make sure we have the biggest and the best. The yugest missiles ever!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 11:51 AM   #130
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Since this administration pulled us out of the treaty, I figured this would work here.

We have to make sure we have the biggest and the best. The yugest missiles ever!
Bah, when we gonn'a get one of them fancy nuclear powered cruise missile, like the Russians? ....Oh......wait.
Old 19th August 2019, 12:01 PM   #131
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
While this obviously means there's dissension in the ranks, I wonder who it is. Hasn't he already cast out the disloyal and unworthy?
More than once. They keep growing back.
Old 19th August 2019, 12:05 PM   #132
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

Trump has no clue that his saying all polls are rigged in this way includes his own.
Old 19th August 2019, 12:09 PM   #133
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

The New York Times will be out of business soon after I leave office, hopefully in 6 years. They have Zero credibility and are losing a fortune, even now, especially after their massive unfunded liability. I’m fairly certain they’ll endorse me just to keep it all going!
Wait. The NYT is a Trump property?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 12:33 PM   #134
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The sooner this ************ is assasinated the better.
Pence at least knows what laws are.
That's really not appropriate and I think the mods should remove that post.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 12:35 PM   #135
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's really not appropriate and I think the mods should remove that post.
I agree.

As an apology, the forum should chip in to buy the President tickets, perhaps to a play.

Old 19th August 2019, 12:49 PM   #136
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Trump Tweets

The New York Times will be out of business soon after I leave office, hopefully in 6 years. They have Zero credibility and are losing a fortune, even now, especially after their massive unfunded liability. I’m fairly certain they’ll endorse me just to keep it all going!
If anybody's wondering, this most recent whine about The New York Times was prompted by a wide-ranging conservative meltdown over NYT's new "Project 1619", which is a series intended to tell the story of the history of American slavery and how intertwined it was with the country's beginnings and founding. Needless to say conservatives, whose stance has always been that the history of slavery and racism in America in general should be suppressed (which they frame as "moving on"), are having paroxysms over the project, including on Fox News which is where the matter came to the president's attention.

Really, a whole lot of pointed white hoods have been coming off over the last couple of days due to this.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 01:05 PM   #137
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Massive overflow crowds in New Hampshire last week. Couldn’t get into packed SNHU Arena. Fake and Corrupt News would like you to believe otherwise. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 01:06 PM   #138
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Democrats want Open Borders and Crime! So dangerous for our Country. But we are building a big, beautiful, NEW Wall! I will protect America, the Dems don’t know where to start!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 01:07 PM   #139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Our Economy is very strong, despite the horrendous lack of vision by Jay Powell and the Fed, but the Democrats are trying to “will” the Economy to be bad for purposes of the 2020 Election. Very Selfish! Our dollar is so strong that it is sadly hurting other parts of the world...

.....The Fed Rate, over a fairly short period of time, should be reduced by at least 100 basis points, with perhaps some quantitative easing as well. If that happened, our Economy would be even better, and the World Economy would be greatly and quickly enhanced-good for everyone!
Old 19th August 2019, 01:11 PM   #140
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wow, Report Just Out! Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump Supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought!
@JudicialWatch
Old 19th August 2019, 01:16 PM   #141
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Wait, people were voting on Google?
Old 19th August 2019, 01:19 PM   #142
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

TO be fair, the treaty was pretty much dead anyway.Putin was pretty much ignoring it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 01:21 PM   #143
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Massive overflow crowds in New Hampshire last week. Couldn’t get into packed SNHU Arena. Fake and Corrupt News would like you to believe otherwise. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
He spends half his time obsessing over the number of people at his rallies.
That is what you get when you elect a TV star to the White House.
What is interesting is what he consideres honest news now that he seems to be at odds with Fox News.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 01:26 PM   #144
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What is interesting is what he consideres honest news now that he seems to be at odds with Fox News.

From another thread:

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Breitbart is one of the very few sources of non-fake news in this country.
Old 19th August 2019, 01:27 PM   #145
plague311
Great minds think...

Trump Tweets

Wow, Report Just Out! Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump Supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought!
@JudicialWatch
Isn't this CT from a few years ago? Unless I'm missing a new report.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 02:08 PM   #146
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I agree.

As an apology, the forum should chip in to buy the President tickets, perhaps to a play.

Old 19th August 2019, 02:10 PM   #147
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Wait, people were voting on Google?
Old 19th August 2019, 02:17 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Admittedly, I am curious about Fox news, and their occasional bouts of honesty.

Is this some sort of last shred of integrity coming from holdouts in the network who have avoided drinking the koolaid?

Or is this a realization by Fox executives that Trump may actually be in trouble, and even their most active cheerleading won't be able to save his campaign. So its a cynical attempt by Fox to distance themselves from Trump (the rats deserting the sinking ship).
Could be because advertisers are withdrawing their cash:

Media Matters: Tucker Carlson loses advertisers after remarks about “hoax” of white supremacy

MM reports they are still losing advertisers even with Tucker on a time out. From their email today:
Quote:
Two weeks ago, Tucker Carlson defended white supremacy, saying it was a “hoax” perpetrated by liberals and the media. After companies started pulling ads from his already advertiser-averse show, Fox News abruptly announced that Carlson would be taking a “vacation.” [1]

Fox News thought it would stem the tide of advertisers pulling ads from Tucker Carlson Tonight. It didn’t.

Over the past 11 days, at least five advertisers have removed their ads from Carlson’s show, and many more have quietly distanced themselves since December. One major Fox News advertiser, Long John Silver’s, was so frustrated that they removed their ads from the network entirely. [2]
Old 19th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #149
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump Tweets

@JudicialWatch
So he believes every large and medium-sized media outlet in the world publishes lies just to make him look bad. And that Google manipulated 2.6 to 16 million votes even though not a single Republican state attorney-general, secretary of state, or governor can find a scintilla of evidence to support this claim. And a hundred other ridiculous things.

But don’t say that this six-sigma level paranoia is a sign of a mental disorder.
Old 19th August 2019, 03:26 PM   #150
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
So he believes every large and medium-sized media outlet in the world publishes lies just to make him look bad. And that Google manipulated 2.6 to 16 million votes even though not a single Republican state attorney-general, secretary of state, or governor can find a scintilla of evidence to support this claim. And a hundred other ridiculous things.

But don’t say that this six-sigma level paranoia is a sign of a mental disorder.
We can't diagnose a man with his femur sticking out of his leg squirting blood all over the place with a broken leg without a doctor seeing it in person first.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 04:13 PM   #151
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I was recently (reluctantly) in Miami for work. On the way to a meeting I stopped at the intersection in front of the Trump Dorral golf resort. I had my GPS ap turned on as this was my first time driving in Miami. Now, I'm getting texts for me to take a survey about my stay at Trump's resort. Can you imagine the humiliation? To be associated with his kind? He's not really even a person. I'd never give that sort of scum my money let alone allow decent people to think I was in any way associated with his property. Fortunately, so far the messages haven't come up when I was around friends and real Americans. You'd think me responding by calling Trump the son of a pig ****** whore and an uppity boy who needs to learn his place around his betters would have stopped the texts. Still, since I've been given an avenue to insult Trump and his family, I'll continue to take it.

Patriotism is hurting Trump every chance you get.
Old 19th August 2019, 05:24 PM   #152
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CHances of recession hitting in 2020 seem to be going up by the day.
Trump is fascinating, trying to find ways to postpone the inevitable crash, while proclaiming that the economy is just great.
Maybe, just maybe, a few in the GOP will relize that they will go down with Trump come judgment day.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 19th August 2019, 05:53 PM   #153
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I was recently (reluctantly) in Miami for work. On the way to a meeting I stopped at the intersection in front of the Trump Dorral golf resort. I had my GPS ap turned on as this was my first time driving in Miami. Now, I'm getting texts for me to take a survey about my stay at Trump's resort.
That's annoying at the best of times. You should seriously look into disabling that behavior.
Quote:
Can you imagine the humiliation? To be associated with his kind? He's not really even a person. I'd never give that sort of scum my money let alone allow decent people to think I was in any way associated with his property. Fortunately, so far the messages haven't come up when I was around friends and real Americans.
I cannot begin to imagine the sense of humiliation you must be living with, but it sounds pretty bad. Get help?

Quote:
You'd think me responding by calling Trump the son of a pig ****** whore and an uppity boy who needs to learn his place around his betters would have stopped the texts.
Actually, I'd not think that at all. The texts are being sent by an automated process, provided by some third party that was hired by someone on the staff at the venue. It's highly unlikely that anyone is looking through the logs of responses received at that number. If they are, they're more likely to be concerned about your mental health than about your disdain for Donald Trump. Either way, they have no connection to Trump, and no power to do anything at all about your concerns, so it's probably not fair to take your humiliation out on them.

Quote:
Still, since I've been given an avenue to insult Trump and his family, I'll continue to take it.
These texts are not such an avenue. Your replies are disappearing into an anonymous bitbucket somewhere. Even if you took the survey and used it to deliver your rant, it's likely that whatever poor third-party contractor ended up having to read it would probably discard it.

Quote:
What's it called when you think you're making a difference, but you're really just screaming into the void?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 05:55 PM   #154
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What's it called when you think you're making a difference, but you're really just screaming into the void?
Social media.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:12 PM   #155
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I was recently (reluctantly) in Miami for work. On the way to a meeting I stopped at the intersection in front of the Trump Dorral golf resort. I had my GPS ap turned on as this was my first time driving in Miami. Now, I'm getting texts for me to take a survey about my stay at Trump's resort. Can you imagine the humiliation? To be associated with his kind? He's not really even a person. I'd never give that sort of scum my money let alone allow decent people to think I was in any way associated with his property. Fortunately, so far the messages haven't come up when I was around friends and real Americans. You'd think me responding by calling Trump the son of a pig ****** whore and an uppity boy who needs to learn his place around his betters would have stopped the texts. Still, since I've been given an avenue to insult Trump and his family, I'll continue to take it.

That's weird. I wonder who the target market is for that data collection?
Old 19th August 2019, 06:12 PM   #156
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I agree.

LOL... coincidentally, I'm wearing my Hard Rock Cafe D.C. tee, so I know there's a nice theater or two right there in the area.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:17 PM   #157
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Life".
Old 19th August 2019, 06:20 PM   #158
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Life".
I thought this was an existentialism-free zone.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:21 PM   #159
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's weird. I wonder who the target market is for that data collection?
People who spent money at the resort, and might do so again if their likes are taken into account.

Do you seriously not understand the role of customer feedback surveys in the success of a business venture?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2019, 06:28 PM   #160
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

People who spent money at the resort, and might do so again if their likes are taken into account.

Do you seriously not understand the role of customer feedback surveys in the success of a business venture?
Little weird that it triggers for passersby. I've never seen that, but I use the default mapping service on my phone, so I don't recall ads of any sort.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics