ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dark matter , quantum , quantum mechanics

Old 11th September 2019, 05:42 AM   #361
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
OK, one more prediction.

Say we have the standard double slit with only one screen and a detector to tell which slit the electron passed through.

The back panel has been prepared with an array of atoms with empty slots on the valence shell so that we can capture the electron after its journey and keep track of it.

Under this theory, the electron has been switched to physical and therefore will not be a wave form as the other electrons in the atom are, but instead will orbit the nucleus like a little moon orbiting a planet or else continue to trace some path around the nucleus continuing to have a definite position and momentum.

Am I also correct that this is a prediction of the theory?

Umm, I think orbitals are a different case. I know I said the state would remain but becoming an orbital would probably make it become like other orbitals.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 05:55 AM   #362
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
The detectors will act as the final panel in this case. Light reflecting or going through glass does not change the state while in flight.
You need to define what a change of state is.

Is an electron colliding with a photon a change of state for the electron?

Is a photon colliding with a lot of atoms a change of state for the photon?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:45 AM   #363
pittsburghjoe
Muse

State is decoherence.

The photon and the electron would be observed and the state would be physical.

You are asking about observation.
pittsburghjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:49 AM   #364
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

yep, everything on the internet is infallible.
Trying to make a liar out of yourself?

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:53 AM   #365
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Is anyone paying attention? I just explained what the root of TIME is!

Nothing is faster than the speed of light because spacetime's framerate is based off the speed of light.
Old 11th September 2019, 06:58 AM   #366
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Is anyone paying attention? I just explained what the root of TIME is!

Nothing is faster than the speed of light because spacetime's framerate is based off the speed of light.
So far, everything that you have "explained" in this thread came about through the efforts of another poster.

And I'm pretty sure that the only thing you've killed is brain cells.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 06:58 AM   #367
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I bet a Klein bottle would make a really interesting bong.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:18 AM   #368
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

State is decoherence.
Decoherence is, for example, when there is a detector to tell which slit the particle passes through and there is no longer interference between the amplitudes for each path.

Quote:
The photon and the electron would be observed and the state would be physical.
So in the case of the photon colliding with a lot of atoms the state would be physical?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 07:20 AM   #369
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Decoherence is about wave collapse

yes, physical
Old 11th September 2019, 07:31 AM   #370
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Decoherence is about wave collapse
No, decoherence and wave collapse are different.

Quote:
yes, physical
So in my third diagram under your theory the photon must be switched to physical.
Old 11th September 2019, 07:56 AM   #371
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

No, decoherence and wave collapse are different.

So in my third diagram under your theory the photon must be switched to physical.
I think a certain someone should be paying you for the tutoring.

Old 11th September 2019, 08:05 AM   #372
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I think the whole idea of an actual collapse to a classical state is problematic in general.

As I pointed out earlier, if the electron subsequently joins an atom then this would seem to entail some sort of "uncollapse".
Old 11th September 2019, 08:06 AM   #373
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I think a certain someone should be paying you for the tutoring.
I have to admit I am doing a certain amount of "phoning a friend" behind the scenes. I hope I am doing justice to her advice.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:15 AM   #374
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I have to admit I am doing a certain amount of "phoning a friend" behind the scenes. I hope I am doing justice to her advice.
You're doing fine so far.

Old 11th September 2019, 08:23 AM   #375
pittsburghjoe
Muse

It takes light one femtosecond to travel the width of abbe's diffraction limit. I think I just figured out why the natural divide between the two realms is this size.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:31 AM   #376
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

It takes light one femtosecond to travel the width of abbe's diffraction limit. I think I just figured out why the natural divide between the two realms is this size.
Do you mean the diffraction limit for light, ie visible light?

Or the diffraction limit for electromagnetic radiation in general?

Where do you think that diffraction limit comes from in the first place?
Old 11th September 2019, 08:37 AM   #377
pittsburghjoe
Muse

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_270272277
Old 11th September 2019, 08:54 AM   #378
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Do you mean the diffraction limit for light, ie visible light?

Or the diffraction limit for electromagnetic radiation in general?

Where do you think that diffraction limit comes from in the first place?
The hint is that there would be no diffraction limit for ideal classical waves.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:56 AM   #379
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, I already know what a diffraction limit is. Didn't even need to phone a friend for that one.
Old 11th September 2019, 09:51 AM   #380
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Ask your friend if she would care to know what time is and what frame rate spacetime runs at.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:03 AM   #381
pittsburghjoe
Muse

If a femtosecond is the smallest usable amount of time for observation. Spacetime runs at 1,000,000,000,000,000 frames per second.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:12 AM   #382
pittsburghjoe
Muse

What a nice round number a god might use to program a simulation called spacetime.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:15 AM   #383
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

What a nice round number a god might use to program a simulation called spacetime.
Now we're getting to the heart of it - does this "theory" of yours that allegedly kills duality also prove the existence of "god?"

Old 11th September 2019, 10:18 AM   #384
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If a femtosecond is the smallest usable amount of time for observation.
It's not.

Quote:
Spacetime runs at 1,000,000,000,000,000 frames per second.
Spacetime is actually observed to run a lot faster than that, and is theorized to run even faster.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 10:21 AM   #385
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Now we're getting to the heart of it - does this "theory" of yours that allegedly kills duality also prove the existence of "god?"
Oh you want to fight about that part, okay, well, yes, The Unobserved Quantum Realm runs just fine without spacetime and did so before the big bang. There is no reason for spacetime to be here. Something wanted life to be a thing and the only way you get life is an Observable Realm.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:22 AM   #386
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If a femtosecond is the smallest usable amount of time for observation. Spacetime runs at 1,000,000,000,000,000 frames per second.
You don't think that it's a coincidence that if you divide one second into one quadrillion intervals, it takes a nice round one quadrillion of those intervals to make up one second?
Old 11th September 2019, 10:26 AM   #387
pittsburghjoe
Muse

A femtosecond is the divide between realms ..so ..yeah
Old 11th September 2019, 10:33 AM   #388
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Oh you want to fight about that part, okay, well, yes, The Unobserved Quantum Realm runs just fine without spacetime and did so before the big bang. There is no reason for spacetime to be here. Something wanted life to be a thing and the only way you get life is an Observable Realm.
Whose fighting?

One needs two or more informed parties for a discussion.

This thread has exposed more of your limitations than abilities.

The only progress achieved is when someone figuratively holds your hand.

Now we get to the "it has to be a proof of god" ********.

You could admit that you're a believer that cobbled up some gobbledygook to impress the rubes, or cling to your baseless assertion of success.

I'm betting on the later.

Old 11th September 2019, 10:36 AM   #389
pittsburghjoe
Muse

What a doubting thomas with 0 rebuttal on ANYTHING
Old 11th September 2019, 10:41 AM   #390
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A femtosecond is the divide between realms ..so ..yeah
A divide you pulled out of your ass a few minutes ago, between realms you pulled out of your ass a few minutes ago, derived from your totally wrong proposition that "the femtosecond is the smallest usable amount of time for observation".

For example, we use the much smaller attosecond as our reference interval for laser pulse timing. In terms of practical, real-world, applied engineering, we're observing things at least down to an interval of 0.012 femtoseconds.

In reality, there is no one "divide" between the quantum and macro realms. Different quantum effects predominate at different scales. For example, quantum gravity effects are theorized to be predominant at time scales below one planck second, or 5.39056E-29 fs. That's waaay less than one femtosecond.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:46 AM   #391
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A divide you pulled out of your ass a few minutes ago, between realms you pulled out of your ass a few minutes ago, derived from your totally wrong proposition that "the femtosecond is the smallest usable amount of time for observation".

For example, we use the much smaller attosecond as our reference interval for laser pulse timing. In terms of practical, real-world, applied engineering, we're observing things at least down to an interval of 0.012 femtoseconds.

In reality, there is no one "divide" between the quantum and macro realms. Different quantum effects predominate at different scales. For example, quantum gravity effects are theorized to be predominant at time scales below one planck second, or 5.39056E-29 fs. That's waaay less than one femtosecond.
Plank second...is that the amount of time between the start of listening to a physics crank and the point when the overwhelming urge to whack them upside the head with a 2" x 6" arises?
Old 11th September 2019, 10:50 AM   #392
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

What a doubting thomas with 0 rebuttal on ANYTHING
So far, you haven't posted anything detailed enough with the science backing it up to make your theory worth rebutting.

You are pretty much at the gratuitous assertion stage.

Given that, I'm comfortable rejecting whatever bare assertion you make out-of-hand.

I do wonder why you abandoned your DMT thread. How does your imaginary guy-in-the-sky feel about hallucinogen drugs?

Old 11th September 2019, 10:52 AM   #393
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Plank second...is that the amount of time between the start of listening to a physics crank and the point when the overwhelming urge to whack them upside the head with a 2" x 6" arises?
Yeah, but it takes a whole femtosecond for the urge to register.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:57 AM   #394
pittsburghjoe
Muse

A femtosecond is the natural divide.

I didn't say you couldn't go faster than a femtosecond. It's the length associated to it via light that I care about.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:49 AM   #395
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A femtosecond is the natural divide.
It isn't, though. It's a completely arbitrary divide. You should look into the work of Max Planck, who actually dived deep into the mathematics of the problem, and found what appear to be natural divides in space and time at much smaller scales than you're proposing.

Quote:
I didn't say you couldn't go faster than a femtosecond.
You said, "a femtosecond is the smallest usable amount of time for observation". This is wrong. We can usably observe things at least down to the attoseconds.

Quote:
It's the length associated to it via light that I care about.
Why the length associated to the femtosecond? Why not the attosecond, where spacetime runs at 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 fps? That's another nice round number to think about.

Why not the length associated via light to the even-shorter Planck second?
Old 11th September 2019, 11:54 AM   #396
Wolrab
Illuminator

No math yet? How unsurprising. If you add up the smarts of all the guys claiming to have found holes in Relativity and/or Quantum Mechanics for the past ONE HUNDRED YEARS, we still wouldn't have the smarts of one Einstein.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2019, 11:59 AM   #397
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
No math yet? How unsurprising. If you add up the smarts of all the guys claiming to have found holes in Relativity and/or Quantum Mechanics for the past ONE HUNDRED YEARS, we still wouldn't have the smarts of one Einstein.
Hey, that's not fair. pittsburghjoe totally did the math on how many quadrillionths of a second it takes to make up a whole second.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:05 PM   #398
pittsburghjoe
Muse

Planck isn't the size that determines if something is automatically anchored to spacetime.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:05 PM   #399
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, that's not fair. pittsburghjoe totally did the math on how many quadrillionths of a second it takes to make up a whole second.
When you're digging a hole to nowhere those femtoseconds add up quick.

Old 11th September 2019, 12:06 PM   #400
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Planck isn't the size that determines if something is automatically anchored to spacetime.
Neither is the femtosecond.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology