ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags quantum mechanics

Old 5th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #41
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pittsburghjoe View Post
No, that's how it would be if observation wasn't in place. It hints at god that wanted life to be a thing so it created spacetime(observed).

Unobserved Quantum waves are not physical. Maybe you are thinking of mechanical waves. I killed duality.
Facts not in evidence.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 10:44 AM   #42
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Are any of them taking it seriously?

No, not even on Reddit
Old 5th September 2019, 11:01 AM   #43
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Duuuuuuude.

I get it.

I mean, what if D-O-G really spells "cat"?

sound of a deep and long inhalation
Old 5th September 2019, 11:41 AM   #44
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
yet 99.99999999999% of the observable universe does not have life and we've only observed the bare surface and thus by your theory no chemical or nuclear reactions can take place there as it is unobserved.

Alternatively, you are wrong.
There would be 0 life if spacetime wasn't around.

If their paths show they are to collide they will be physical while traveling from point A to B

Matter waves decohere at the drop of a hat.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 5th September 2019 at 11:58 AM.
pittsburghjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:04 PM   #45
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Math is the language of physics; where is the math in this thread supposedly proving whatever?
Old 5th September 2019, 12:07 PM   #46
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

My OP was edited for copying my own theory from another website ..is that really what Rule #4 is for?

Give me a symbol for observation. You don't need math to point out the bridge between the two theories.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 5th September 2019 at 12:09 PM.
pittsburghjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:23 PM   #47
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

My OP was edited for copying my own theory from another website ..is that really what Rule #4 is for?

Give me a symbol for observation. You don't need math to point out the bridge between the two theories.
Spam is Spam.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 12:27 PM   #48
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Right ::rolls eyes::

spam you happen not to be able to refute
Old 5th September 2019, 01:05 PM   #49
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Yes, basically.

Quote:
When the two theories are mathematical in nature, yes, you do need to provide a mathematical bridge. Anything else is just word games and a source of confusion and obfuscation.

ETA: it is a real shame that LaTeX used to work but hasn't been fixed for years. This is an instance where it would be invaluable to aid in discussion.

Last edited by The Norseman; 5th September 2019 at 01:07 PM.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 01:40 PM   #50
Molinaro
Illuminator

You ignored every refutation and request for clarification and instead just repeated the same tripe found in the OP.
Old 5th September 2019, 01:44 PM   #51
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
You ignored every refutation and request for clarification and instead just repeated the same tripe found in the OP.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 5th September 2019, 02:11 PM   #52
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Gratuitous assertions can be gratuitously rejected.

We can see what you posted. That doesn't infer that you're the author of the material and it doesn't mean that by asserting "You killed duality" you have done so.

The very fact that you've posted this material here and there on the 'net without running it through peer-review doesn't speak well of you or your theory.

Old 5th September 2019, 02:26 PM   #53
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The Observer Effect...
These are assertions unsupported by evidence, physics or mathematics, pittsburghjoe.

The post is also wrong.
The uncertainty principle is "Delta x Delta p >= h-bar/2". This is a derivation from QM and easily understood even using classical physics - see Heisenberg's microscope

We do have empirical evidence of particles acting as waves. There is the well known, textbook experiment of sending individual electrons toward a screen with silt and a detecting screen behind it. If they were particle then we would see two lines build up. What we see is an interference pattern.

The "final panel of an experiment" does count as an observation. The double-slit experiment using individual electrons has many observations of each electron hitting the detector screen. The final observation is whenever the researcher decides to stop the experiment!

"well, duh" - two objects just hitting each other will exchange momentum! Heisenberg's microscope and the uncertainty principle is that this exchange of momentum will change the position of the object.

This is the delayed choice quantum eraser. Not really anything to do with a vague "entire life of both entangled particles is known" phase. The delayed choice quantum eraser does not measure the entire life of any particles. The experiment of Kim et al. (1999)[ has multiple paths for the light and 4 detectors.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 02:40 PM   #54
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing to refute, pittsburghjoe. Vague unsupported assertions are not science. When they also show ignorance about textbook physics there is no need to refute them. They are obviously wrong.

Wave/particle duality is confirmed by the single particle double slit experiments which are described in that Wikipedia article. Individual photons, electrons, atoms and even some molecules passed thru double slits act as waves, not particles. The first electron experiment was done in 1973.
Reality Check is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 02:49 PM   #55
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

First, everything I've said is supported by evidence.

I didn't include the ">" on purpose because it was describing an equation that uses observed particles.

The only thing that matters for my theory is what state a particle is in during its flight.

okay, momentum, whatever

both particles lives are known because the first particle tells us if the second one will ever be observed.
Old 5th September 2019, 02:56 PM   #56
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I've updated my theory for this forum. What do I have to do to get an admin to reinstate my OP? This is ridiculous.
Old 5th September 2019, 03:15 PM   #57
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question What does your theory predict for the single electron double slit experiment

First, everything I've said is supported by evidence. ...
That is a fantasy until you supply the evidence, pittsburghjoe. For example, we have physical evidence that wave/particle duality exists. What is your physical evidence that wave/particle duality does not exist?

A possible fantasy about a "theory".
The language of science is mathematics. A scientific theory contains mathematics that gives the fundament property of a scientific theory - the production of testable, falsifiable predictions. The only mathematics you have given is your "Delta x Delta p = h-bar/2" equation appearing out of thin air! No derivation looks like the ignorance of just dropping a ">" from the uncertainty principle because you imagine that is whatever you think "observed particles" do.

The uncertainty principle in QM is "Delta x Delta p >= h-bar/2". This has a derivation using mathematics and physics from observed particles and their observed properties. That is what a scientific theory does.

If you do have a scientific theory, you should able to answer a question.
6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: What does your theory predict for the single electron double slit experiment?
Once again: The single particle double slit experiment (single elections passing through double slits build up an interference pattern as if they were waves)
Old 5th September 2019, 03:25 PM   #58
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Unobserved Quantum waves are not physical. Maybe you are thinking of mechanical waves. I killed duality.
Simply saying something doesn't make it so.

Again, what definition of 'physical' are you using here?

Show me how you are deriving the conclusion that quantum waves are not physical.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 03:27 PM   #59
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

You can't refute "A-wop-bom-a-loo-mop-a-lomp-bom-bom" either, so that must also be a valid theory of physics.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 03:32 PM   #60
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I've updated my theory for this forum. What do I have to do to get an admin to reinstate my OP? This is ridiculous.
Forums have rules that users accept when they join. A usual one is that a large amount of material that is available elsewhere should not be copy and pasted into a post. The OP will not be reinstated with presumably a large part of your web site.

if the OP test copied from your web site has changed then you should write a post explaining the change, not an admin. Or simply link to your web site. For example this is a link to physical evidence for wave/particle duality in the double slit experiment.

ETA: The OP has a link to what looks like the source of the OP - another forum. Unfortunately "pittsburghjoe" at that forum makes more invalid, unsupported assertions, e.g. "Time doesn't pass in a black hole (past the event horizon) because unobserved quantum waves don't use time". Black holes are generally the domain of GR, not QM, and GR states that time passes as normal inside the event horizon. "Quantum waves' do use time because they are waves (waves waving is what they do!).

Last edited by Reality Check; 5th September 2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 5th September 2019, 03:45 PM   #61
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Both of your questions were answered in the original OP.
::FLAMES::
Old 5th September 2019, 03:48 PM   #62
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Both of your questions were answered in the original OP.
No single electron double silt experiment in the existing OP which is all we can see, pittsburghjoe.
6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: What does your theory predict for the single electron double slit experiment?
Old 5th September 2019, 03:49 PM   #63
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
ETA: it is a real shame that LaTeX used to work but hasn't been fixed for years. This is an instance where it would be invaluable to aid in discussion.
That is annoying. I wonder if it can be fixed.
Old 5th September 2019, 03:49 PM   #64
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

The original OP that wasn't edited by an ADMIN!
Old 5th September 2019, 04:01 PM   #65
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question Quote the single electron double slit experiment part of your original OP

The original OP broke the forum rules you agreed to on joining this forum and had to be edited by an admin. Thus we only can read what is in the existing OP.

Since you assert that you answered my single electron double slit experiment question in your original OP, it will be easy to answer this question.
6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Quote the single electron double slit experiment part of your original OP.
However, not all of it if you have pages and pages of mathematics and physics about the single electron double slit experiment.

Alternately link to your mathematics and physics on the single electron double slit experiment.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:03 PM   #66
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Why don't you just answer the question directly?

In any case I recall that the original OP did not show how your theory explains that electrons emitted one at a time build up an interference pattern as though they were waves.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:06 PM   #67
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I am not sure how the path assignment is supposed to happen.

Say we have a photon emitted near a pane of glass and a detector at the reflection position but no detector at the pass-through position.

The probability that it will arrive at the detector (rather than pass through) obviously depends in a non-monotonic way upon the thickness of the glass but also on the energy of the photon. So how can a path be assigned before the wave/particle switch has been made when the path depends upon both wave properties (frequency) and particle properties (triggering the detector at a particular time and place)?
Also, you haven't addressed this. It would help if we knew something of your theory beyond a brief summary.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:14 PM   #68
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

I'm boycotting answers until my OP is reinstated.
Old 5th September 2019, 04:19 PM   #69
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

I'm boycotting answers until my OP is reinstated.
That never happen (admins will definitely not break the forum rules that they enforce!), pittsburghjoe.

6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Quote the single electron double slit experiment part of your original OP.

Old 5th September 2019, 04:26 PM   #70
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
That is annoying. I wonder if it can be fixed.
I remember vaguely the time around when it 'broke' but I don't recall the reason for not actually fixing it. I think it was a case of passing the buck but perhaps I'm being uncharitable in my recall.

Anyway, after perusing the link in the OP, I see now that even if LaTeX were functional, pittsburghjoe has no real foundational mathematical knowledge anyway.
Old 5th September 2019, 05:03 PM   #71
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

Here is some math to chew on https://youtu.be/d4EgbgTm0Bg

It's how an unobserved quantum wave swaps to a particle.

Last edited by pittsburghjoe; 5th September 2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 5th September 2019, 05:08 PM   #72
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

The abbe diffraction limit of matter automatically anchors objects to spacetime.
There is no "abbe diffraction limit of matter", pittsburghjoe.
The Abbe diffraction limit is light traveling thru a medium with refractive index and converging to a spot. It is why microscopes have a limit on the size of objects they can resolve.

Spacetime is the mathematics used to give positions and times to objects. Spacetime would exist even if the Abbe diffraction limit did not exist. The space and time parts of spacetime existed thousands of years ago, e.g. Euclidean space. Newton used space and time.
Old 5th September 2019, 05:17 PM   #73
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question Where in your theory are quaternions used (citation or quotation needed)

Here is some math to chew on...
An irrelevant to this thread Visualizing quaternions (4d numbers) with stereographic projection video and not about an incoherent "how an unobserved quantum wave swamps to a particle".

ETA: A question in case the video is relevant.
6 September 2019 pittsburghjoe: Where in your theory are quaternions used (citation or quotation needed)?

Last edited by Reality Check; 5th September 2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 5th September 2019, 05:47 PM   #74
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

...The particles state is reassessed while passing through a polarizer....
A bad choice of words. Particles do not "reassess" their states, pittsburghjoe. In physics objects obey laws. Drop a rock and it will fall with an acceleration of g. A rock will not suddenly decide to float up like a balloon .
Old 5th September 2019, 06:02 PM   #75
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

if it's pass-through ..it doesn't count as tunneling
The first mention of tunneling in the thread, pittsburghjoe.
Quantum tunneling is fairly easy to understand and taught in first year physics university courses. Consider a particle in a finite potential well with an energy that makes it impossible for the particle to escape that well in classical physics. Apply QM. There is a finite probability of finding the particle outside of the well. Now look at the real world where such particles and tunneling actually exists!
Quote:
Quantum tunnelling plays an essential role in several physical phenomena, such as the nuclear fusion that occurs in main sequence stars like the Sun.[1] It has important applications in the tunnel diode,[2] quantum computing, and in the scanning tunnelling microscope. The effect was predicted in the early 20th century, and its acceptance as a general physical phenomenon came mid-century.[3]
That "pass-through" is a synonym for tunneling. A particle that tunnels through a barrier, passes through the barrier.
Old 5th September 2019, 06:05 PM   #76
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Here is some math to chew on https://youtu.be/d4EgbgTm0Bg

It's how an unobserved quantum wave swamps to a particle.
Ah. We've got to the argumentum ad youtubium stage.

We can't go back. We don't understand everything yet.
"Everything" is a little ambitious. We barely understand anything.
Yeah. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.
- xkcd Time (frame 1071-3)
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2019, 09:55 PM   #77
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Ah. We've got to the argumentum ad youtubium stage.
Indeed. One of the other forums spammed has closed the thread as the content had not reached the stage of speculation...
Old 6th September 2019, 06:35 AM   #78
pittsburghjoe
Critical Thinker

If someone gave me the ability to edit old posts, I could just fix the OP myself.
Old 6th September 2019, 06:36 AM   #79
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Indeed. One of the other forums spammed has closed the thread as the content had not reached the stage of speculation...
But here at the ISF, we'll keep this thread open till the end of time as we do with other outstanding examples.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:12 AM   #80
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
If someone gave me the ability to edit old posts, I could just fix the OP myself.
We all function on this forum under the same rules.

The forum is not going to grant you special powers. If you can't work within the rules here, perhaps here is not the place for you.

This is a discussion forum. If you are not willing to discuss your claims, perhaps this is not the place for you.

The people you are refusing to discuss your ideas with are well versed in the topics you say you want to discuss. Use this opportunity to learn. The more you discuss and learn, the move folks like me will also learn right along with you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology