ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts

Old 6th September 2019, 03:23 PM   #81
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I don't see how a tripod makes a difference.

I'm stumped!

Will you explain it?
Sure. It is a five minute long exposure of my (then) hallway. Kids hid behind the doorway to the right (which I intentionally hid) Kids leapt out and posed motionless for all of minute 3 and then hid again for minute 4 and 5 of the exposure. The tripod is necessary to maintain stability of the camera for a five minute exposure. The camera was taking a still photograph for five frakking minutes. You need a tripod for that kind of stability. And a remote control to eliminate vibration.

As a mad dad I throw challenges in my kids direction. A "genuine" ghost photograph was one of those. This is where we ended up.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 03:33 PM   #82
AmyW
Scholar

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Ghosts are always situationally dependent. This is the key to understanding why someone believes they saw/heard/felt one. I'll list causes starting from the easiest and obvious first continuing through the more esoteric.

1. Power of Suggestion: A place has a reputation for being haunted and those who experience a ghost are familiar with the stories. Or a building looks "creepy" or seems like it should be haunted. Then there are cases where someone just follows the crowd and talks themselves into believing they've seen a ghost.

2. Hysteria: This one is simple. You hear something moving in the house at 2 a.m. At 2p.m. it's the cat, or the wind knocked something over on the back patio, or heating duct/ plumbing rattling. At 2 a.m. it's either a burglar or the Clown from IT. You grab a baseball bat and search the house and find nothing and go back to your room. Ten minutes later you hear more noise. You've already searched the house and checked the doors and windows. If you are prone to believe in ghosts your mind will always go there first.

3.Cultural Indoctrination and or Peer Pressure: Fact is that there are groups of people who take the existence of ghosts without question. Don't even waste your time trying to argue with them. The other condition comes when someone who has prestige or charisma exposes their belief in ghosts, and those who want to curry favor follow suit without asking questions.

4. Twilight Sleep: This stage is between a waking state and sleeping state where REM is possible without the sleeper's knowledge. 50% of all reported ghosts come during Twilight Sleep.

5. BS: This may come as a shock but some people like to lie for a variety of reasons. Pro Ghost Hunter Tip: if a Bed & Breakfast invites TV ghost hunters to investigate their property there's a 99% chance it ain't haunted.

6. Infrasound: This is the 500-pound gorilla of the Paranormal Experience world. Simply put, this low-frequency sound wave WILL make you feel like you're being watched which leads to hysteria.

This comes out of work done in 1998:

http://www.richardwiseman.com/resour...in-machine.pdf

These links also explain the phenomenon:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...l-activity.htm

https://curiosity.com/topics/got-a-g...und-curiosity/

https://gizmodo.com/some-ghosts-may-...ari-1737065693

This one dovetails with my next point:

https://interestingengineering.com/t...host-frequency

7. Involuntary Neurological Response to Latent Stimulus: Putting this into English; you have 5 senses that are much more sensitive than we expect. Our 5 senses work in concert to give our brain information about our immediate surroundings. Sometimes this information is inaccurate and can put pictures or sounds in our heads that are not there. A faint change in room temperature, humidity, a faint odor, or a familiar sound can light up parts of your brain. Most of the time your brain does a quick systems check and double check and blows it off. But once in a while your brain will run with it.

Let me explain. There are certain scents that evoke strong emotional responses in people. For example the smell of buttered turkey mixed with mashed potatoes invokes powerful memories of Thanksgiving holidays. A song can come on the radio and I can recall specific events which occurred in my past where that song was on in the background. People often respond negatively to the "Hospital Smell" because nobody goes to the hospital when things are great. Each of these responses come with a cascade of emotions and mental images. The difference is that we're not always aware of the input causing the response.

8. Bad Construction Practices and Poor Construction Materials: My first four paranormal investigations taught me a lot about plumbing and heating. Unsecured pipes will rattle and bang inside walls or against floor beams. In the early 2000's reports of brand new houses being haunted went through the roof with tales of Indian burial grounds and slave cemeteries being desecrated. The truth took a few years but turned out to be devastating: Poisonous Chinese Dry Wall.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=114182073

https://www.cpsc.gov/safety-educatio...roblem-drywall

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ards/index.htm

The Chinese dry wall signs match up with some big haunted house signs: the smell of sulfur and electric lights turning on and off for no reason. This one came out of the blue and many sleaze-ball ghost hunters took advantage of people.

9. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: The first thing a good ghost hunter will do is check the CO level in the house. This also falls under poor construction practices but can happen in any home with a gas heater. Over time a person living in a house where CO levels are high will hear voices and sometimes hallucinate. Eventually the CO will kill them but this is dependent on the time of year. Many states now require home owners to by smoke alarms that are also CO detectors.

10. Physiological Changes: Around the time I saw a black hooded figure at the foot of my bed I had become a diabetic and suffered from Sleep Paralysis. Luckily because I was a ghost hunter I knew the image was in my head, but damned if it wasn't impressive anyway. This is when people who didn't believe in ghosts start seeing them. See your doctor and have a comprehensive lab test done.

There are certainly more causes behind why people see ghosts, most of those are related to the effects stress and surprise will have on perception. This is why in crisis situations people tend to focus on random things and relate them to the larger event even though they had nothing to do with the event (we see this with conspiracy theories but this has also put innocent people in prison as well).

What I'm waiting on is research about how smart phones are effecting human perception and reasoning abilities. The rise of reported hauntings seems to merge with the introduction of the smart phone and I'm betting there is a direct link.

I'll end with this. The thing that changed my mind about ghosts is the fact that the most common ghost is that of a still-living person. I've lost count of how many people swear that they heard their wife, husband, child, or sibling somewhere in the house only to discover they were not there. The only solution to this event was that it was all in that person's mind. The fact that it was real to them suggests that sounds and smells can create a false impression because the sounds and smells are familiar coming from an expected place. Your imagination does the rest.
Wow, wow, wow what an incredible and informative response!!!! Did you used to be a ghost hunter? Thank you so much, I am going to copy your notes and re read them, fantastic!!
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 03:34 PM   #83
learner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Sure. It is a five minute long exposure of my (then) hallway. Kids hid behind the doorway to the right (which I intentionally hid) Kids leapt out and posed motionless for all of minute 3 and then hid again for minute 4 and 5 of the exposure. The tripod is necessary to maintain stability of the camera for a five minute exposure. The camera was taking a still photograph for five frakking minutes. You need a tripod for that kind of stability. And a remote control to eliminate vibration.

As a mad dad I throw challenges in my kids direction. A "genuine" ghost photograph was one of those. This is where we ended up.
You're just saying that. Its Ghosts really. Innit?
Old 6th September 2019, 03:35 PM   #84
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, cool, and thanks for explaining!
Old 6th September 2019, 03:39 PM   #85
AmyW
Scholar

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Please, do not think that you will have any effect on those who believe. That is a Sisyphean task. Only worry about your self and be open to helping those who would like your help.
Absolutely, I am just here for myself :-) trying to free myself from superstitious/magical thinking.
I will have to take a trip to the library, lots of recommendations. I do have the duck book but I'm not quite getting it yet.
AmyW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 03:42 PM   #86
AmyW
Scholar

Haha love this! It's good to be a mad dad :-)
My daughter is turning 8 this year, going on 14, they do grow up too quickly:-)
Old 6th September 2019, 03:45 PM   #87
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Last weekend while walking the dogs I saw a guy leaving a house that had just been built but was not lived in yet. I knew he wasn't a builder because it was Labor Day weekend and no one was working at that time. He had a rather strange expression as if he were feeling a bit guilty. I tended to the dogs for a few seconds and when I looked up, he was gone! He wasn't that far from me, so he couldn't have gotten far. I looked all around - there was no place he could be hiding. I actually mumbled "Where the hell did he go? "

I continued walking the dogs, still looking. Then I finally saw him far down the block.

Here's what I figured out:

1. Leaving the house -- it only appeared that way. He was probably a neighborhood guy that was curious about the house and had just finished peeking in the windows.
2. The strange expression -- He just saw me see him and was feeling sheepish about getting "caught".
3. The disappearance -- When I looked to the dogs and looked back, he had disappeared. Behind the port-a-john that was set in front of the house for the workers! He wasn't hiding -- he had just happened to take that path at an angle where I couldn't see him. It happened to coincide with the parallax view when I kept walking with the dogs. Finally he got far enough where the angle did not obstruct my view of him any more.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:00 PM   #88
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Is a very long exposure involved?
Yup.

abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 04:04 PM   #89
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Haha my two are 14 and 17 now. Observing the burgeoning adulthood is both fascinating and challenging.

Old 6th September 2019, 04:07 PM   #90
Axxman300
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Does anyone ever see ghosts in daylight?
Yes. Daylight apparitions are as common as nighttime ones.
Old 6th September 2019, 04:11 PM   #91
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

You have no idea. I threw a challenge to snap a shot of a squirrel with all four feet off the ground.

It took five minutes for one to appear.

I am gonna have to work on th challenges, dammit.

Old 6th September 2019, 04:20 PM   #92
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How does your imaginary curry exist and also not exist? (I'd insert the confused smile but using Tapatalk and it doesn't exist in tapatalk)
My imaginary curry doesn't exist, even though my body reacted and drooled whilst I was thinking about it.
In the same way that ghosts don't exist, they, just like my curry, are creations of the mind.
I still drooled though.

Last edited by p0lka; 6th September 2019 at 04:22 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 04:50 PM   #93
Axxman300
Illuminator

Wow, wow, wow what an incredible and informative response!!!! Did you used to be a ghost hunter? Thank you so much, I am going to copy your notes and re read them, fantastic!!
Thanks. Technically I still "hunt" ghosts. The question for me isn't "Are Ghosts Real?", but "Why Do Honest People See or Hear Ghosts?".

I have kept track of research that applies to many of the different conditions in which people see something weird. The Human Eye has a hole in the back which under low-light conditions will make you see shadowy figures dark around the room. The eye is connected to the brain, and the brain doesn't always process images correctly.

Example: I was driving to work on a rainy day. As I approached a stop sign I glanced to my left and saw an old man riding a red bike and wearing a yellow rain slick with matching hat. When I came to a stop I waited for the man to pass me due to the narrow street but he was gone. Checking my side mirror I saw that I had passed a mailbox which had yellow ducklings mounted on each side. Due to the extra caution of driving in the rain my brain took partial information and fabricated the image. This is not a hallucination.

Police deal with this kind of thing every day with eye-witnesses. People see things wrong.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:09 PM   #94
EHocking
Philosopher

Wow, can our brains really hallucinate like that and actually see things that aren't there?
Oh yes, through sleep deprivation I experienced a very vivid visual hallucination of the werewolf beast from the movie An American Werewolf in London, tracking alongside my drivers window (@ 70mph) on a fog-bound night on the Nullarbor Plain.

It was convincing enough form me to pull over and tell my mate it was his turn to drive.

He then proceeded to tell me about the nightmare he was having about being chased by wolves, at the very moment I woke him up.
The B side of Tubular Bells was in the cassette deck at the time.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 02:00 AM   #95
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Wow, can our brains really hallucinate like that and actually see things that aren't there?
Oh yes. Our minds are very good at filling in the blanks, it's part of how our vision works, we fill in our (literal, biological) blindspot, we 'see' the things were looking at and extrapolate a lot of the background if we believe it is unchanged, and we 'join the dots' when things are partially seen. Hence periadolia (which I can never remember how to spell!). From a survival point of view, a false alarm about a tiger that wasn't there was usually less harmful than a missed alarm about one that was! We're also preprogrammed to see agency, which has caused us a whole heap of trouble as a species.....

Sometimes it all just goes a bit further than normal.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 03:25 AM   #96
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Hence periadolia (which I can never remember how to spell!).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
Old 7th September 2019, 06:11 AM   #97
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
In 2006, I was at an archaeological site in New Mexico. I had spent the night, and the next morning, I looked out of my tent, to see a rabbit standing some feet away:

I watched it for several minutes, wondering why it was not moving, but thought that perhaps there was something I couldn't see that it was watching. During this time, I took the photo you're seeing.

This is a prickly pear cactus, opuntiaWP doing a very good job of pretending to be a rabbit .

Last edited by xterra; 7th September 2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: a word
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 06:26 AM   #98
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
My imaginary curry doesn't exist, even though my body reacted and drooled whilst I was thinking about it.
In the same way that ghosts don't exist, they, just like my curry, are creations of the mind.
I still drooled though.
I'm sorry but something can't both exist and not exist! That's rather a profound contradiction.

I think what you are meaning to say is your imaginary curry doesnt have the same properties as a curry you have on your plate, but your imaginary curry does still exist.
Old 7th September 2019, 08:08 AM   #99
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Yup.
There I was trying to ask without spoiling the trick and then you explain it!

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 08:15 AM   #100
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Thanks. Technically I still "hunt" ghosts. The question for me isn't "Are Ghosts Real?", but "Why Do Honest People See or Hear Ghosts?".
I think this is a much more interesting question TBH.

There was a ghist bunting show (can't remember the name) where one of the three 'experts' was a housing inspector, he came up with much more interesting, occasionally bloody obvious, reasons than the 'medium' or the 'paranormal investigator'. Other than redundant ductwork and overgrown trees, one of the more unusual was a woman who claimed to have been thrown down a spiral staircase, which he observed was illegal because it had no handrail, an unsafe pitch, the drywall in the hallway was out of true causing slight disorientation and I think the last few inches of landing was sloped to meet the stairs as they were fractionally too short. No 'push' required, the stairs were a potential deathtrap!

Old 7th September 2019, 08:16 AM   #101
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I had the right letters, expecting them in the right order as well is just plain unreasonable!

Old 7th September 2019, 01:17 PM   #102
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm sorry but something can't both exist and not exist! That's rather a profound contradiction.

I think what you are meaning to say is your imaginary curry doesnt have the same properties as a curry you have on your plate, but your imaginary curry does still exist.
I never said that something did exist and not exist?

My point was that if your definition of 'truly exists' is correct, then I can imagine things, eg a madras curry that causes my body to react in a salivary way, therefore it exists.

But imaginary things do not exist just because you get a physical response to them, including ghosts.
Because of that contradiction, your 'truly exists' post is something I disagree with.

Last edited by p0lka; 7th September 2019 at 01:22 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 05:31 PM   #103
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

I am wondering about ghosts and how rational minded people claim to see them.
The very first sentence of this thread shows where the root of this problem lies.
Everyone, almost without exception, thinks that they are "rational minded".
Old 7th September 2019, 05:42 PM   #104
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The very first sentence of this thread shows where the root of this problem lies.
Everyone, almost without exception, thinks that they are "rational minded".
Indeed. All Christians I talked to actually had some logical explanation, why they believe. Logical only in their mind of course, but there clearly was an attempt to rationalize. In most cases I suspect there was wish to believe first, and looking for excuse to believe later, but that's rationalization as well.
Inside every Christian there is a hidden (bad) skeptic.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2019, 06:40 PM   #105
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Indeed. All Christians I talked to actually had some logical explanation, why they believe. Logical only in their mind of course, but there clearly was an attempt to rationalize. In most cases I suspect there was wish to believe first, and looking for excuse to believe later, but that's rationalization as well.
Inside every Christian there is a hidden (bad) skeptic.
Technically, they (most, anyway) were taught it was "fact" in childhood, and their whole intellectual framework about how everything else fits in with that was built up around the core fact of God's existence and the Bible's "truth" from there on out.

The idea that none of that stuff is true is an almost an unthinkable thought to them, because so many other beliefs are predicated upon the God belief. Their whole mental framework and intellectual edifice of understanding the nature of reality itself takes a serious hit when the foundational belief in God/Jesus is removed.
Old 7th September 2019, 06:40 PM   #106
wasapi
Philosopher

I am wondering about ghosts and how rational minded people claim to see them. When my mum was a child she claimed to see three shadows, she awoke from a strange noise coming from the window and then three spirits appeared and one pointed at her. How do we explain when people claim to see ghosts?
My aunt, an educated women, a rational woman, says she encountered a UFO, loading and unloading aliens. No one knew what to think. She continued to work as and educator for a few years after the statement.

Then, she became ill. She had a brain tumor, thankfully benign. After surgery, she was fine. I asked her again about the UFO sighting, and she still insisted it was a real event. But there was a reason.
Old 7th September 2019, 11:56 PM   #107
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, all Chinese know that ghosts can come through mirrors, especially at night. You can see the basis for this yourself if you have a bunch of mirrors about the bedroom on nights with little ambient light. Your own reflection comes back to you from the mirror and looks vaguely apparition-like. It's just the poor lighting and since the tradition dates back hundreds if not thousands of years it probably originated in darkened villages where the ambient light might be only moonlight. After your eyes have adjusted to the "dark" (which is really far from dark), you will make out nebulous figures in the mirrors.

Solution? Well, tell the family that it's obviously just your own reflection. Better, more woo-ish solution? Cover mirrors at night so you don't see those poor reflections the ghosts don't get out.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 01:03 AM   #108
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Few years back a video made the rounds, showing a supposed ghost at Disneyland. CCTV footage showed a blurry, shadowy figure walking a very deliberate path along a walkway, passing through a closed gate, and continuing off screen.

The solution was piss easy. In the old days when CCTVs used video cassette, the tapes were reused. The image was a ghost image (no pun) of a maintenance worker or janitor or some other after hours employee walking along the path and through the gate (which was open in their footage). He was recorded on the tape just walking along a path through an open gate, but that was recorded over with new footage where the gate was closed and there was no one on the path, leading to "the ghost."

And the this low quality SD CCTV footage was copied, filmed off a TV screen, digitized, converted a half dozen different video formats from the looks of it, and uploaded to Youtube.
I will bet the Bletchly Park entrance video ghost is this. The paranormal shows played on the history of the location hard, but not on the state of the technology that recorded it. That was blissfully left out other than a mentioned of " state of the art " comment.

Speculation it was a wartime figure or somehow historical person made good drama but had no backing.

I used to do security rounds in a turn of the century paper mill complex. There were unused buildings in poor repair we had to check for kids or whatever.

For a while there was noises following me through one used as storage for bundles of recycle paper. It sounded just like I did passing through a minute before.
I heard two guys in the closest occupied building laughing about someone messing with new security guys by similar tricks so I changed my route a little bit and one day got behind him. I watched an old millrat looking carefully for someone try to sneak back to his area undetected. He knew of a door in the old building that wasn't on our key route. One day I locked it from the inside and the ghost stopped following us.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 02:03 AM   #109
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

In order to see ghosts, you have to believe in them first.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 02:43 AM   #110
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
In order to see ghosts, you have to believe in them first.
If you read Darats posts on the subject and followed the links you'd realise that there are given values of ghosts and you are quite wrong.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 02:47 AM   #111
Belgian thought
Master Poster

I had the right letters, expecting them in the right order as well is just plain unreasonable!
Try and see a pattern for the letters to aid memory

Last edited by Belgian thought; 8th September 2019 at 02:50 AM.
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 02:57 AM   #112
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I think that there are ghosts. This is why;

"One dark, cold, wet evening a report came in from an elderly couple that they had heard a gunshot. They lived in a big old house in a small village in the countryside. There had been no reports of lamping for foxes in the area, but it was suspected someone was out legitimately, or it was not a gun shot. Few people really do know what a gun shot sounds like.

Two PCs were allocated the call and duly attended at the Victorian house with its gravel drive and huge wood panelled entrance hall. They listened as the elderly couple explained they were sure it was a gun shot as they knew what guns sound like. “So how many shots was it?” asked one of the PCs. “Just the one” the elderly man replied. “Do any of your neighbours have a gun?” asked the PC. “I don’t think so and anyway, the shot sounded like it came from inside the house” the lady of the house replied.

The two PCs perked up at this point as they realised this was a serious situation. “Who else is in the house?” one PC asked. “Just us” the lady of the house replied.

At that point the two PCs saw a young female, dressed in a nightgown walking down the central staircase towards them.

“So who is she?” one PC asked. “Who is who?” the elderly man replied.“That girl” said the PC. “What girl?” the elderly man and his wife replied. The young female walked past them all, out of the door, on to the gravel drive, turned and went out of sight. She did not make a sound.

The two PCs, now very spooked said that they would do a quick search, they were sure it was not a gun shot and they bolted back to the police office. I have it on good authority they were so freaked out that they were allowed to go home early. There were no more reports of gunshots."

That was told to me by what I would regard as a reliable source. I have some other ghost stories that are similar, where someone was not expecting to see a ghost and had no reason to think a ghost would appear.

There is definitely something out there, that we call ghosts.
Old 8th September 2019, 03:06 AM   #113
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belgian thought View Post
Try and see a pattern for the letters to aid memory
Good point. Mind you, it's not a word I find myself writing particularly often!

Old 8th September 2019, 03:07 AM   #114
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I think that there are ghosts. This is why;

"One dark, cold, wet evening a report came in from an elderly couple that they had heard a gunshot. They lived in a big old house in a small village in the countryside. There had been no reports of lamping for foxes in the area, but it was suspected someone was out legitimately, or it was not a gun shot. Few people really do know what a gun shot sounds like.

Two PCs were allocated the call and duly attended at the Victorian house with its gravel drive and huge wood panelled entrance hall. They listened as the elderly couple explained they were sure it was a gun shot as they knew what guns sound like. “So how many shots was it?” asked one of the PCs. “Just the one” the elderly man replied. “Do any of your neighbours have a gun?” asked the PC. “I don’t think so and anyway, the shot sounded like it came from inside the house” the lady of the house replied.

The two PCs perked up at this point as they realised this was a serious situation. “Who else is in the house?” one PC asked. “Just us” the lady of the house replied.

At that point the two PCs saw a young female, dressed in a nightgown walking down the central staircase towards them.

“So who is she?” one PC asked. “Who is who?” the elderly man replied.“That girl” said the PC. “What girl?” the elderly man and his wife replied. The young female walked past them all, out of the door, on to the gravel drive, turned and went out of sight. She did not make a sound.

The two PCs, now very spooked said that they would do a quick search, they were sure it was not a gun shot and they bolted back to the police office. I have it on good authority they were so freaked out that they were allowed to go home early. There were no more reports of gunshots."

That was told to me by what I would regard as a reliable source. I have some other ghost stories that are similar, where someone was not expecting to see a ghost and had no reason to think a ghost would appear.

There is definitely something out there, that we call ghosts.
Finally, irrevocable truth and hard facts. I'm convinced!
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 04:43 AM   #115
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Finally, irrevocable truth and hard facts. I'm convinced!
Proof of the existence of something can come from multiple, corroborating, credible witnesses.

I know some other ghost stories that involve credible people who have no reason to lie who say they interacted with a person who can be best described as a ghost.

There is, because of that, such a thing as a ghost, which is not just a figment of our imagination or some sort of projection from within ourselves.
Old 8th September 2019, 05:04 AM   #116
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru

That was told to me by what I would regard as a reliable source.
Did this happen directly to this supposedly reliable source, or was it heard by this supposedly reliable source? If it happened directly to this source, then please give us the details(who, where, when).
Without details, all I can say is "Thanks for the story".
Old 8th September 2019, 05:53 AM   #117
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Proof of the existence of something can come from multiple, corroborating, credible witnesses.

I know some other ghost stories that involve credible people who have no reason to lie who say they interacted with a person who can be best described as a ghost.

There is, because of that, such a thing as a ghost, which is not just a figment of our imagination or some sort of projection from within ourselves.
This does not follow. We know of many ways in which sane, rational people can be fooled into thinking they interacted with people who weren't actually there. Examples have been given in this thread.
Old 8th September 2019, 05:55 AM   #118
dann
Philosopher

I am wondering about ghosts and how rational minded people claim to see them. When my mum was a child she claimed to see three shadows, she awoke from a strange noise coming from the window and then three spirits appeared and one pointed at her. How do we explain when people claim to see ghosts?

She probably didn't. She was probably asleep the whole time and dreamed that she she woke up, a very common dream (and very often used for effect in movies!).
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 07:16 AM   #119
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Did this happen directly to this supposedly reliable source, or was it heard by this supposedly reliable source? If it happened directly to this source, then please give us the details(who, where, when).
Without details, all I can say is "Thanks for the story".
The story is from "rogerthepoliceman," who says (on his "about" page)-
Quote:
Just like police reports to the Procurator Fiscal, accuracy is not guaranteed.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2019, 07:29 AM   #120
Steve001
Graduate Poster

"Your" brain doesn't need to hallucinate to see things that aren't there. For example this video from "Physics Girl" YT channel.
https://youtu.be/uNOKWoDtbSk
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal