ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags rejected , mdc , jill stephanie enquist , challenge application

Old 21st January 2005, 02:27 PM   #1
KRAMER
Former challenge facilitator

I AM NOT HUMAN

Hang onto your seats, folks, cuz here it comes (I'm assuming by the tone of this email that an application is most surely forthcoming, and I just couldn't wait to post it here in the forum)...

============================================== Subject: Open Letter to James Randi Accepting JREF $1,000,000 Paranormal - January 18, 2005

VIA EMAIL AND SURFACE MAIL

Dear Mr. Randi:

Enclosed please find a signed and notarized application form (with attachments) to the JREF $1,000,000 Paranormal Challenge. The special ability I will demonstrate is that I am "not human" and possibly of alien origin. To prove this, I will provide a tissue, hair or other sample of myself to a JREF appointed representative in San Francisco, California, for a DNA Profiling/Personal Identity Test that will come back as not Cro-Magnon (not human). That is, the sample will come back "unable to identify", "contaminated", "other", etc. Addendum A spells out in detail the limits of the proposed demonstration (the test procedure or protocol). This is intended to cover both the Preliminary and Formal Test. Addendum B complies with Rule 12 (¶ 12) of the Application for Status of Claimant.

This letter with enclosures was mailed to the JREF on Tuesday,January 18, 2005. It will arrive in an envelope bearing the return address of 'General Delivery, San Francisco, CA', and will contain the above-referenced enclosures, this letter and a self-addressed stamped envelope addressed to 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415. At the request of myself and others, please keep this name and address confidential until at least 24 hours after the completion of the Preliminary Test. As proof of identity, all enclosures (including this letter) will have my right thumbprint.

I am hoping I have taken care of all necessary details regarding the test protocol and that a convenient date, time and location for conducting the Preliminary Test in San Francisco can be quickly agreed upon. As soon as this date is decided, I will look forward to receiving back the completed application from Mr. Randi. Please email any questions to me as they arise so they can be quickly resolved. NOTE TO ALL ADDRESSEES: Please note that I can only answer emails from Mr. Randi.

A modified copy of Addendum A follows this letter. I wanted as many people as possible to know of this event, and gathered the cc addresses from the links provided by Mr. Randi's website. More information can be found at www.wahalan.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

We come in peace.

l duschampes

cc: U.S. Secret Service (via surface mail) (w/o encl.)
San Francisco Office
345 Spear Street, Suite 530
San Francisco, CA 94105

ADDENDUM A
to 1/8/05 Application for Status of Claimant from Area Code 415

The special ability I will demonstrate is that I am "not human" and possibly of alien origin. To prove this, I will provide a tissue, hair or other sample of myself to a JREF appointed representative in San Francisco, California, for DNA Profiling/Personal Identity Test that will come back as not Cro-Magnon (not human). That is, the sample will come back "unable to identify", "contaminated", "other", etc.

THE PRELIMINARY TEST

1. Below are toll-free phone numbers of firms offering an affordable, home-based DNA Profiling/Personal Identity Kit:

(NAMES WITHHELD FROM EMAIL)

2. A convenient date, time and location for collecting the DNA sample in San Francisco from the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 by the JREF appointed representative will be agreed upon, as well as a date, time and location for opening the results. Please note the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 requires five (5) days advance notice of both dates in order to send a copy of same to the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service.

3. After the dates above are selected, either JR (James Randi) or someone from the JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation) will choose one of these firms' home-based DNA Profiling/Personal Identity Kit and obtain a price. This amount will then be emailed to the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415,
who will then mail a U.S. Postal Money Order for that amount to the JREF. Upon receipt of the money order, the JREF will order the kit for delivery to the JREF appointed representative. The DNA Profiling/Personal Identity Test kit will remain unopened when it is received.

4. At the agreed-upon collection date, time and location, the JREFappointed representative and the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 will meet. The JREF appointed representative will then open the home-based DNA Profiling/Personal Identity Kit and collect samples from the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415. After collecting the samples, the JREF appointed representative will seal the kit and mail the samples back to the laboratory for analysis. When the results return, they will remain unopened
until both the JREF appointed representative and 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 are present.

5. If a NEGATIVE result is received (that is, the results come back identifying the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 as human), a copy of these results will be given to the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 and our business will be pleasantly concluded.

6. If a POSITIVE result is received (that is, the results come back as "unable to identify", "contaminated", "other", etc.), the 1/8/05 Applicant from Area Code 415 will be considered to have passed the Preliminary Test and can then proceed to the Formal Test.

THE FORMAL TEST

The Formal Test will be a repeat of the Preliminary Test.

=============================================

Wow. You can't make this stuff up. Interesting, too, is how carefully he seems to have examined the Challenge rules, noting here how he is following each one to the letter, with the notable exception of Rule #6, and I quote:

All expenses such as transportation, accommodation, materials, assistants, and/or all other costs for any persons or procedures incurred in pursuit of the reward, are the sole responsibility of the applicant. Neither the JREF nor JR will bear any of the costs."

But, I digress.

My response;

============================================

Greetings Mr. Duschampes,

We are in receipt of this email, but have yet to receive your Challenge Application.

Once we have that in hand, we can proceed. Until then, I can only say that I look forward to testing your claim with great enthusiasm. I have also noted that you state that you will only answer emails from James Randi. Please be advised that you will not receive any emails from James Randi on this (other than the email you have just received from him in which he has told you to correspond with me). I handle all matters pertaining to the Challenge, so, if you wish to become an applicant for the Challenge, you must suspend your whimsical demand, and correspond with me. If you chose to ignore this email, then...

Go in Peace,

Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.
Old 24th January 2005, 12:49 PM   #2
KRAMER

We Come in Peace, Signed, Ms. ENQUIST

Well, the application has arrived, duly executed, and covered in thumbprints. Here is my reply:

Greetings Ms. Enquist,

We are now in receipt of your duly executed JREF Paranormal Challenge Application.

Are you now willing to communicate with me regarding your proposed test protocol? Please advise.

Also, we see by your notarized signature that your real name is JILL STEPHANIE ENQUIST. Is this correct?

If so, please sign ALL of your correspondence to us with that name, so that we know who you are. Otherwise, your emails and letters may be discarded, as your file (by which we refer to your application) bears your legal name, and not the name by which you have been signing your letters, "1 Duschampes".

Also, there is no need to put your thumbprint on your application, claim letter, or any other correspondence you conduct with us, so please refrain from doing so.

-Kramer, JREF PARANORMAL CLAIMS DEPT.
Old 25th January 2005, 03:51 PM   #3
KRAMER

A Reply from the Queen of Outer Space

Dear Addressees:

Thank you for responding to my letter to Mr. Randi of 1/18/05.

I am hoping that at least a few of the skeptical community took up my request and called the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service and confirmed that the event described in 'XYZ' on wahalan.com actually occurred. Until I asked for your response by submitting 'XYZ' to crank.net, no one I told this to believed me that the U.S. Secret Service in San Francisco actually took a clipping of my hair for DNA analysis. (I don't think you have to be a skeptical observer to understand how unnerving that would be.)

I am going to be revising 'XYZ' this week and submitting the new page to crank.net with another request for the assistance of the skeptical community in confirming another part of that incident. In the revised page, I will be asking the skeptical community to tell me exactly how the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service communicated their invitation to me to come into their office to obtain a lock of my hair for DNA analysis (That is, was it by letter? email? phone? etc. I am going to solicit responses from the skeptical community to publish your (their) answers on the web page 'XYZ'. (It is necessary to ask this question and wait for your responses, as Mr. Randi advises to check oneself every step of the way, and this is a good way to do it. (The webpage will also carry the admonishment to call only between 9am and 12 noon, as this is a very busy office, and to ask for the Special Agents working on the wahalan.com matter.)

Also, the revised 'XYZ' page will inform everyone that, with the exception of the Home Page, all the current pages of wahalan.com were written after September 2004, and anyone who wishes to confirm this as well is welcome to call the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service, etc.

Finally, regarding Mr. Randi's $1,000,000 Challenge, I received one letter telling me I was ineligible and another telling me I could proceed whenever I wanted to. At the moment, I don't know if it will be necessary to take the Challenge or not, because I may be able to get a satisfying answer to what my DNA results were on my own.

If I can't, and Mr. Randi is indeed willing to make an exception in my case, then it may become necessary to proceed with the Challenge, if only to put this matter to rest for myself.

I sincerely appreciate the courteous letters and feedback from the skeptical community in this matter (and I suspect the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service appreciates it as well).

Sincerely yours, l duschampes
cc: U.S, Secret Service (via surface mail)
San Francisco Office
San Francisco, CA 94105

===========================================

My reply...

Hello Ms. Enquist,

Thank you for your reply. Might I inquire...if you are "NOT HUMAN", then what ARE you? It may be necessary for you to state what you ARE, as opposed to what you are NOT, as the JREF Challenge does not devise tests that serve only to prove a negative. Please advise.

-Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.

Let's see where all this takes us, shall we?
Old 1st February 2005, 12:47 PM   #4
KRAMER

January 29, 2005

Dear Mr. Kramer:

Thank you for your courteous reply to my letters.

I am the jill stephanie enquist of san francisco who submitted the Application for Status of Claimant. "enquist challenge" will appear on the subject line of all my emails, so that you may quickly identify it as mine.

You asked me why I think I might be 'non-human' or alien and about my test protocols. I will address each question in a separate letter. This letter addresses the first issue.

One of the reasons I think I might be 'non-human' or alien is because the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service seems to think so. Not only because of the method of communication they used to invite me into their office to give them a sample of my hair for DNA analysis (as described in the webpage 'XYZ' at wahalan.com), it was also a result of a meeting I had with them just prior to submitting my Application for Status of Claimant to you.

After the wahalan.com website was finished at the beginning of the year, I sent a printout of the entire website in a 1/6/05 letter to the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service. I also informed them in that letter I would be contacting the James Randi organization the following week to enter his $1,000,000 Challenge.

The following week I received a phone call from the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service. They invited me to come to their office for a meeting to discuss the future of the website and where it was going. The meeting took place in the morning on January 14, 2005 and lasted less than an hour.

Toward the end of the meeting, one of the Special Agents asked me about my desire to enter Mr. Randi's contest. I told the agent I had called a number of DNA testing companies regarding their home-based DNA Profiling/Personal Identity kits and asked each customer service representative I spoke to the same question: Humor me, I would say. If I was a Neanderthal and profiled myself, what would the DNA results come back as? All of them said the results would come back, "Inconclusive", "Contaminated", "Unable to Identify", etc., essentially indicating one was not "human". The agent nodded when I finished explaining, and said, "That would do it." (For your information, the same agent later asked me how I would feel if the test came back Cro-Magnon. "Relieved," I said.)

We talked for awhile longer, then the meeting ended.

You are welcome to call the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service at 415-744-9026 during regular office hours and speak to Special Agent Monroe regarding the above meeting in order to confirm it took place.

Please note I will not be interested in pursuing my application to Mr. Randi's $1,000,000 Challenge until you confirm to me via email that you have spoken with Special Agent Monroe at the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service regarding all the above.

I hope this answers your question about why I think I might be 'non-human' or alien.

The next email will go over the test protocols.

Thank you for your continued courtesy in this matter.

Sincerely yours, jill enquist

cc: U.S. Secret Service (fyi only)
San Francisco Office

Well, this is starting to sound like a scene from A BEAUTIFUL MIND.
I cannot help but assume that no one from the Secret Service has called Jill Enquist "in for a meeting", or asked her anything about her website, or about her intentions regarding the JREF Challenge.

As Jill herein promises a forthcoming reply in which she discusses test protocol, I will decline to respond to this one (which seems to contain nothing to which I can offer any reasonable reply), and wait for the next email from her.

OK, folks. At what point does the obvious go beyond the obvious?

At what point do we reject her claim, and advise her to seek psychiatric help? How long do we entertain her in these delusions?

And, perhaps most importantly, does not our engaging her in these delusions do little more than postpone her recovery from this illness, should it ever be diagnosed and treated?

Are we not delaying said diagnosis simply by engaging her? Is it not the JREF's obligation to advise her to seek help?

Where does one obligation (to the Challenge) end, and the other (to our fellow man) begin to take precedence?
Old 1st February 2005, 01:15 PM   #5
KRAMER

I Changed My MIND...

After reading her email again, I changed my mind about not offering any reply...I'm convinced that the best thing to do for this woman, and for the Challenge, is to not let this go on any longer than it need to.

Isn't it wholly apparent that what we are dealing with here is a claim from a paranoid schizophrenic, or worse?

Dear Ms. Enquist,

We have no intent whatsoever upon contacting the Secret Service to confirm your claim. The Challenge rules clearly state that only a demonstration will suffice.

Your email states that you "will not be interested in pursuing my
application to Mr. Randi's $1,000,000 Challenge until you confirm to me via email that you have spoken with Special Agent Monroe at the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service regarding all the above."

As we will not be making the contact you insist you need in order to pursue the JREF Challenge, perhaps it is best that you now withdraw your application from consideration. Please advise.

Old 1st February 2005, 01:45 PM   #6
KRAMER

And more...

[b]January 30, 2005

Dear Mr. Kramer:

Thank you for your courteous reply to my letters.

I am the jill stephanie enquist of san francisco who submitted the Application for Status of Claimant. "enquist challenge" will appear on the subject line of all my emails, so that you may quickly identify it as mine.

You asked me why I think I might be 'non-human' or alien and about my test protocols. The email of January 29, 2005 addressed the question why I believe I might be 'non-human,' or alien. This second letter addresses the issue of test protocols.

The test protocols I sent to you as Addendum A were a sincere attempt to create a reliable DNA test that could test for Neanderthal DNA. As I understand it, these home-based DNA Profiling/Personal Identity kits would not be able to identify any DNA that is not Cro-Magnon, or "human". (I don't know the reliability of these kits and would be more than willing to run the same test from different companies over and over again until a clear result was reached.)

As I related in my 1/29/05 letter to you, during a 1/14/05 meeting at the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service, I got the impression one of the Special Agents at that meeting seemed to think this DNA Profiling/Personal Identity kit plan was a good idea. You are welcome to call the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service at 415-744-9026 during regular office hours and speak to Special Agent Monroe in order to confirm this; my impression may be in error.

I understand the need to prove a positive, however, and bring the following to your attention.

I have an MRI scan of myself that shows a round, spherical object the size of a small golf ball sitting on my brain stem. (I did not bring this up before because it is anecdotal and I have no way to prove the MRI scan is mine, as you will see.)

In the late 1980s, I participated in a blind study of the brains of transgendered individuals conducted by Dr. Joy Diane Shaffer of Seahorse Medical Clinic of San Jose, California. (The purpose of the study was to look for anomalies in the brains of transgendered individuals that might explain why they were transgendered. A large of number of MRI scans of transgendered individuals were needed for this study.)

Transgendered individuals who participated in the study were given copies of their MRI scan as payment. As it was a blind study, my name does not appear on the MRI scan (except a study number) and there is no narrative report accompanying it. One of the MRI images clearly shows round spherical object the size of a small golf ball sitting on my brain stem. I have never gotten an adequate explanation of it from any doctor I've shown it to, and I don't know if it's real and legitimate or an anomaly of the film. (I am willing to send you a photocopy of the MRI scan if you like. Please let me know.)

The positive we are trying to identify is how to identify Neanderthal DNA from Cro-Magnon DNA.

Would it help if DNA similar to mine could be identified?

Myself and others appreciate any help you can give us.

Sincerely yours,

jill enquist

cc: U.S. Secret Service (via surface mail)
San Francisco Office
Old 8th February 2005, 02:51 PM   #7
KRAMER

More non-Human meanderings...

Dear Mr. Kramer:

Thank you for your letter of 2/1/05.

I did not realize that putting that paragraph about having JREF contact the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service might disqualify me from entering the $1,000,000 Challenge. If that is the case, then I withdraw that paragraph from my previous letter. As a courtesy to you, I have resent my previous letter "enquist challenge/reason to believe alien" sans the paragraph regarding having the JREF contact the San Francisco office of the U.S. Secret Service.

Had I realized this earlier, I would not have put that stipulation in my previous letter. Please accept my apology for doing so.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding my application.

Sincerely yours,

jill enquist

San Francisco Office
San Francisco, CA 94105

and...

February 6, 2005

Dear Mr. Kramer:

Thank you for your 2/1/05 reply to my test protocol letter.

I am not withdrawing my Challenge Application. While I do not know at this time if I am accepted to the JREF $1,000,000 Challenge, I would appreciate hearing from you regarding my test protocols. I am not a scientist by nature or training, and I look forward to hearing from someone in those fields with more experience than I.

During the week I was thinking about the need to prove a positive, and realized that if another, more "positive" test is required than the one I proposed, I may not be able to pay for it at this time. If that is the case, may I withdraw my application without prejudice until such time as I can pay for the necessary testing?

Sincerely yours,

jill enquist

San Francisco Office
San Francisco, CA 94105

Not that she continues to "cc" her emails to the Secret Service.

Regardless, here is my reply:

Of course you have every right to withdraw your Challenge application, Jill.

Old 10th February 2005, 04:05 PM   #8
KRAMER

I must reject this claim -

Dear Mr. Kramer:

I hope you have not withdrawn my Challenge Application, as I have not withdrawn my 1/8/05 Challenge Application. I am still waiting to hear if it is accepted or not. I wrote you a 2/6/05 email letter and a 2/7/05 email letter regarding questions about test protocols and what they might cost, etc., not a letter withdrawing my Application. (I clearly stated in my 2/6/05 letter that I was not withdrawing it.)

At any rate, I still don't know if you've accepted my Challenge Application or not. Please let me know the status of my Challenge Application. Thank you for your courtesy in this matter.
Sincerely yours, jill enquist

Jill, you're human. There is simply no alternative conclusion.

After much consideration and many email axchanges with you, we are wholly convinced that the true source of your confusion regarding the question of your identity is not paranormal in nature, but physiological. The answer to the questions you seek do not lie within the results of any DNA test, and we humbly implore you to seek psychiatric attention at the earliest possible convenience.

We cannot in good conscience continue to engage you in your delusions in this matter, and we feel both professionally and morally compelled to reject your claim at this time.

We wish you only the best in your search for your true identity, but we cannot assist you any further in this matter, other than to sincerely offer you the aforementioned advice.

All Best,
Kramer, JREF Paranormal Claims Dept.
Old 22nd December 2005, 07:16 AM   #9
KRAMER

?????!!!!!!??????????

The following email communique arrived yesterday, from a Jim LeeMaster, who may or may not be a therapist treating Jill Enquist. The email was not "signed", but the sender was indeed a Jim LeeMaster.

================================================== =======

Hello,

I do not wish to engage in any further discussion of this matter for any
reason. I apologize in advance for the unsolicited nature of this e-mail.
You will never receive another e-mail from me. I am simply attempting to
carry out the wishes of my psychotherapy patient.

I am also enclosing a Microsoft Word document that verifies she did, in
fact. meet with an Agent of the United States Secret Service on 1/28/05.
She believes that this will lend credibility to her claim as a part of her
submission to you Million Dollar Challenge. She made an initial submission
that did not make it to the preliminary phase. Anyhow this is spelled out
in the document. I reiterated it here in case you are hesitant to open an
attechment from an unknown source...(See attached file: Enquist
12.16.05.doc)

================================================== ====

The following contains the text of the MSWord document (which I chanced to open) on the official letterhead of the City of San Francisco.

A google search form Jim LeeMaster turned up this corroborating piece:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...23/MN21104.DTL

================================================== ====

City and County of San Francisco
Gavin Newsom, Mayor
Department of Public Health
Community Behavioral Health Services
CENTER FOR SPECIAL PROBLEMS
1700 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94109-2918
Phone: 415.292.1500
FAX: 415.292.2030TDD:

December 16, 2005

JREF
201 S.E. 12th St (E. Davie Blvd)
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-1815
U.S.A.
randi@randi.org

Dear Mr. Randi,

I am writing to you at the request of an individual psychotherapy patient of mine named Jill Enquist. (DOB: 2-9-37) She was an applicant in your Million Dollar Challenge who did not make it to the preliminary stage. Nonetheless, she would like you to know that I did, in fact, have a conversation with an Agent of the United States Secret Service. I had a single conversation with Agent Monroe of the San Francisco field office on January 28, 2005. Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

Jim LeeMaster, LCSW

================================================== ======

The point of this latest addition to the Jill Enquist psycho-saga is a complete mystery to me, and with a little bit of luck, so it shall remain.

Last edited by KRAMER; 22nd December 2005 at 07:19 AM.
KRAMER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications