ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 3rd November 2019, 02:27 PM   #81
Dread Pirate Roberts
Scholar

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It's hit and miss in rural America on this stuff.

U of O in Eugene is about as much of mixed bag as one can get. It's a liberal college set in the middle of loggers and farmers. Go in any direction away from Eugene and you see lots of OreGUNian emblazoned over an automatic assault rifle stickers on the backs of pickup trucks and sometimes minivans.
Very true. I was actually referring more to Portland where I've seen the MAGA hats and the like. My other daughter went to a prep school in Faribault MN and there were several houses with all kinds of anti-Dem stuff plastered all over the lawn.

My mom, uncle and aunt who are all in their late 60s and late 70s can't stand Trump. They grew up and still live down in the rural OK area.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 02:39 PM   #82
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats are Fixers, and they are working overtime to FIX the Impeachment “Process” in order to hurt the Republican Party and me. Nancy Pelosi should instead Fix her broken District and Corrupt Adam should clean up & manage the California forests which are always burning

The Fake News Media is working hard so that information about the Whistleblower’s identity, which may be very bad for them and their Democrat partners, never reaches the Public.

I hope everyone in the Great State of Virginia will get out and VOTE on Tuesday in all of the local and state elections to send a signal to D.C. that you want lower taxes, a strong Military, Border & 2nd Amendment, great healthcare, and must take care of our Vets. VOTE REPUBLICAN

Virginia has the best Unemployment and Economic numbers in the history of the State. If the Democrats get in, those numbers will go rapidly in the other direction. On Tuesday, Vote Republican!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 02:55 PM   #83
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Whistleblower got it sooo wrong that HE must come forward. The Fake News Media knows who he is but, being an arm of the Democrat Party, don’t want to reveal him because there would be hell to pay.
Reveal the Whistleblower and end the Impeachment Hoax!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 02:59 PM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So do we still "officially" not know who the Whistle-blower is?

I've noticed it's been several days now and none of the actual legit news sources, not even Fox News or the Washington Times, have actually ran (even in that ass-covering "We're not saying, we're just reporting what people are saying" wad) with repeating the identity reported by the far right conspiracy blogs.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd November 2019 at 03:10 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:03 PM   #85
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Link is behind paywall.

Hans
You can usually get by that by opening in an incognito window.
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:23 PM   #86
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says he “won’t rule out” shutting down the government if Congress continues the impeachment inquiry.
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:26 PM   #87
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I grew up there, and still have a little homestead in a rural area - I'm talking 100 people in a 10 mile radius - so I get back to there and Oklahoma City quite a bit. And honestly I've seen more "MAGA crap" visiting my kids at U of Oregon or Minnesota and here in Las Vegas.

Plus you can buy weed and walk around topless in public now so there's that.
It's hit and miss in rural America on this stuff.

U of O in Eugene is about as much of mixed bag as one can get. It's a liberal college set in the middle of loggers and farmers. Go in any direction away from Eugene and you see lots of OreGUNian emblazoned over an automatic assault rifle stickers on the backs of pickup trucks and sometimes minivans.
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Very true. I was actually referring more to Portland where I've seen the MAGA hats and the like. My other daughter went to a prep school in Faribault MN and there were several houses with all kinds of anti-Dem stuff plastered all over the lawn.

My mom, uncle and aunt who are all in their late 60s and late 70s can't stand Trump. They grew up and still live down in the rural OK area.
I live in a Portland suburb (technically part of Portland). I can count on one hand the number of MAGA hats/bumper stickers I've seen since 2015. But once you get out of the Portland metro area, the number goes up. I've seen a lot of the "Oregunian" stickers mostly on pickups but that stupidity has been around for years before Trump.

The 2016 Oregon votes Clinton vs Trump:

Popular vote
Clinton: 1,002,106 Trump: 782,403

Percentage
Clinton: 50.07% Trump: 39.09%
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:29 PM   #88
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump says he “won’t rule out” shutting down the government if Congress continues the impeachment inquiry.
Extortion again? This guy needs a new trick.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:35 PM   #89
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I wonder if Trump actually wrote this because it's largely true.

Except Newsom is just the new guy on the block. This has been California's M.O. for decades. Water is what has been fought for over the past century - forget the gold rush.

Here's one con he doesn't mention. That whole "dumping water into the ocean" bit is probably referring to the amount of water we release from reservoirs to supposedly save fish species like the Delta Smelt.

What actually happens is that the water gets sold down south, and at a large profit for some private investors.

The "saving the Smelt by cooling the Delta" is just the excuse for releasing the water so it can be sold. Nobody cares about the quite literal handful of smelt that are seen in the waterways (I believe 6 were observed a few years ago).

In fact two forty-foot tunnels were to be built beneath the Delta itself to move water away from the area. Now that plan is being changed to maybe a single tunnel. Opponents say this will destroy the Delta ecosystem allowing salt water to move further inland, among other things.

Yep. A (or two) forty foot tall tunnel beneath the Delta water system. What could go wrong?

Finally, during the droughts we all learned that almond trees use an insane amount of water, yet more and more almond orchards appear every year. Guess where some of that water is to be diverted? The almond growers! Big money baby!

Nobody seems to care about the actual water shortage, it's just another way of making money for these people. The water literally goes to the highest bidders.
This sounds like the very epitome of "The American WayTM". Let me be free to do what I wanna do!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:17 PM   #90
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

If I remember correctly, the last time the government was shut down, Trump's disapproval increased, and he was seen as largely to blame by voters.

Not to mention that the last shutdown harmed the economy, and since the economy is one of the few things that is helping to support Trump's popularity, shutting down the government this close to the election could really scuttle Trump's chances at in 2020.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...utdown-polling
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...on-workers-gdp

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:17 PM   #91
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Extortion again? This guy needs a new trick.
I think he calls it dealmaking. A lot of people are saying he's the best.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:17 PM   #92
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

He can bluster all he wants and it's possible some heads of agencies will fall on their swords.

Most mid-level and rank-and-file government employees are well informed about what federal law says about it and I imagine they are going to hew towards that.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:19 PM   #93
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If I remember correctly, the last time the government was shut down, Trump's disapproval increased, and he was seen as largely to blame by voters.

Not to mention that the last shutdown harmed the economy, and since the economy is one of the few things that is helping to support Trump's popularity, shutting down the government this close to the election could really scuttle Trump's chances at in 2020.
Triply so if he's seen as shutting it down to escape impeachment. There are people who firmly believe he's totally clean and innocent and therefore has nothing to fear from a trial. Trying to weasel out of one looks guilty to some. Many? Most? It'd be a very risky gamble. When all you've got to sell is image it's dangerous to project the wrong one!
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:32 PM   #94
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The worst part of this is, in my opinion, we now have a large group of American citizens who back someone they KNOW is no good but they don't care. Trump HASN'T revived coal mining, he HASN'T brought blue-collar manufacturing jobs back to the USA, he HASN'T unveiled a healthcare system that "covers everybody and is cheaper than Obamacare," he HASN'T crafted a tax plan that favors working-class taxpayers, he HASN'T slowed illegal immigration, he HASN'T even even built the wall. But they don't care because rooting for him feels so good!(
Because the effects of those policies are not felt by the riff-raff or are so indirect that blaming the results on Trump can be hand-waved away. But what is immediate and so "juicing" to his base is that he pisses off the libtards. His biggest whoops of support at his rallies are when he denigrates someone (like HRC) on the left. LOCK HER UP! It's just mindless tribalism, it's immediate, it's right in front of them and they highly approve. Policy, schmalicy.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:37 PM   #95
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Boy in blackface...
He looks like he's genuinely black. Or do you think they also blackened his hands and wrists. And curled his hair.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:53 PM   #96
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
The "saving the Smelt by cooling the Delta" is just the excuse for releasing the water so it can be sold. Nobody cares about the quite literal handful of smelt that are seen in the waterways (I believe 6 were observed a few years ago).
Careful, your ignorance is showing. The smelt are an indicator species. The vitality of them is used as one measure of the overall health of the delta system. Thus, a LOT of people who are knowledgeable regarding the delta ecosystem give a big damn about them. Your citation (if true) is alarming, not encouraging.
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:57 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
He looks like he's genuinely black. Or do you think they also blackened his hands and wrists. And curled his hair.
No, he doesn't look genuinely black. Enlarge the picture and you can see the uneven application of the coloring, especially on his hands. You can also see it's a polish of some sort around the hairline. It's obviously some kind of coloring...likely shoe polish. His hair is not curled/curly, either.

ETA: I can only imagine the kind of dip**** parent who would dress up children for a picture like this.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 3rd November 2019 at 05:00 PM.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 05:32 PM   #98
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump and the GOP are losing it over the identity of the whistleblower. Trump is insisting he come forward. I think Trump has said this or tweeted this a hundred times at least.

Right wing pubs are throwing names out there left and right.

But the whistleblower has no responsibility, absolutely no reason to come forward. It's also not like everyone hasn't confirmed the facts in his complaint. The law rightfully protects the whistleblower. Time to move on from this red herring. It only makes Trump and the GOP look petty.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:15 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Of course, Baby Trump can't help it. But the GOP Senators will almost certainly talk him out of it.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:18 PM   #100
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Of course, Baby Trump can't help it. But the GOP Senators will almost certainly talk him out of it.
You think? Hmmmm, Trump has a habit of double downing on stupid when he's confronted.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:24 PM   #101
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Really? If even a quarter of the dementia speculation is true, then trying to talk an impaired, malignant narcissist out of doing something he thinks is necessary to save both him and the US is quite a task.

And since you brought up the term, how successful are people at talking babies out of doing something?
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:25 PM   #102
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

You think? Hmmmm, Trump has a habit of double downing on stupid when he's confronted.
and also when he is confused.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:30 PM   #103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yeah but they have leverage:

"Calm down Baby Trump, we got the jury eating out of our hands."
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:32 PM   #104
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Really? If even a quarter of the dementia speculation is true, then trying to talk an impaired, malignant narcissist out of doing something he thinks is necessary to save both him and the US is quite a task.

And since you brought up the term, how successful are people at talking babies out of doing something?
If you have good (positive) parenting skills, it's very successful.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:37 PM   #105
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
and also when he is confused.
Pretty much all the time. Maybe not when he is sleeping.
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:22 PM   #106
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but they have leverage:

"Calm down Baby Trump, we got the jury eating out of our hands."
Trump will just want to prove himself. Remember, he's smarter than everyone else.
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:48 PM   #107
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

CBS News reports, the whistleblower is reaching out to the GOP. Is this a planned end run around Donnie or something else?
Quote:
A lawyer for the whistleblower who reported concerns about the president's dealings with Ukraine told CBS News he offered to have Republicans on the House Intelligence Community submit questions to his client directly without having to go through the committee's Democratic majority. Attorney Mark Zaid told CBS News he contacted Representative Devin Nunes, the committee's ranking member, on Saturday to say his client is willing to answer Republicans' questions under oath and penalty of perjury if lawmakers submitted written questions to the whistleblower's legal team. The inspector general of the intelligence community, a President Trump appointee, could verify the whistleblower's identity in order to satisfy the committee's minority members while protecting the individual's anonymity.

Nunes' office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Zaid said the offer underscores his client's desire to ensure his complaint is handled in a nonpartisan way. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:14 PM   #108
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
CBS News reports, the whistleblower is reaching out to the GOP. Is this a planned end run around Donnie or something else?
The GOP seemed to be hoping that the whistleblower would refuse their demands, so that Donny could cry foul again. He's certainly been pushing that line, hasn't he! But if this person does respond as the GOP want, that pulls that rug out from under them as well.

I don't think the Dems are ignorant of this maneuver. They will likely be happy to allow it, because it demonstrates clear bipartisanship, a fair response to the "special" GOP demands, a kick in the shins for Nunes et al, and yet another way for Donny to paint himself ever closer into that shrinking corner.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:44 PM   #109
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, he doesn't look genuinely black. Enlarge the picture and you can see the uneven application of the coloring, especially on his hands. You can also see it's a polish of some sort around the hairline. It's obviously some kind of coloring...likely shoe polish. His hair is not curled/curly, either.

ETA: I can only imagine the kind of dip**** parent who would dress up children for a picture like this.
And that's not an "OK" symbol the kid is flashing, either. Well, maybe the kid thinks so, but the person who told him to do it knows full well what the intent is.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:57 PM   #110
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The GOP seemed to be hoping that the whistleblower would refuse their demands, so that Donny could cry foul again. He's certainly been pushing that line, hasn't he! But if this person does respond as the GOP want, that pulls that rug out from under them as well.

I don't think the Dems are ignorant of this maneuver. They will likely be happy to allow it, because it demonstrates clear bipartisanship, a fair response to the "special" GOP demands, a kick in the shins for Nunes et al, and yet another way for Donny to paint himself ever closer into that shrinking corner.
Trump, the 3D chessmaster, probably anticipates this move. He's as cool and collected as Richard Spencer in an emergency meeting.
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:02 PM   #111
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump, the 3D chessmaster, probably anticipates this move. He's as cool and collected as Richard Spencer in an emergency meeting.
Meanwhile, inside Donny's head...

*buzz click* Are you hearink me donny? Here isk your instructions! Трамп, 3D-шахматист, вероятно, предвидит этот шаг. Он такой же крутой и собранный, как Ричард Спенсер на экстренном совещании. *buzz click*
Old 4th November 2019, 01:22 AM   #112
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Well, considering these are all kids of the guy who initially posted the pic, I'd say he was white (aside from the makeup discrepancies).

I saw this develop on Twitter a few days ago. Since then the account has been taken down, etc. etc.
Old 4th November 2019, 02:43 AM   #113
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

This involves the Daily Mail, even if the Daily Mail is taking the story from another publication that I've never heard of, so it probably shouldn't be believed immediately, but... it would help explain what happened surprisingly well, if true.

REPORT: Kushner OK'd Khashoggi Arrest, Turkey Heard Call & Blackmailed Trump over Syrian Troops

Bring on the tapes that Mulvaney spoke of! If this actually isn't true, they'd disprove it, right?
Old 4th November 2019, 03:16 AM   #114
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

If Shifty Adam Schiff, who is a corrupt politician who fraudulently made up what I said on the “call,” is allowed to release transcripts of the Never Trumpers & others that are & were interviewed, he will change the words that were said to suit the Dems purposes. Republicans...

....should give their own transcripts of the interviews to contrast with Schiff’s manipulated propaganda. House Republicans must have nothing to do with Shifty’s rendition of those interviews. He is a proven liar, leaker & freak who is really the one who should be impeached!

False stories are being reported that a few Republican Senators are saying that President Trump may have done a quid pro quo, but it doesn’t matter, there is nothing wrong with that, it is not an impeachable event. Perhaps so, but read the transcript, there is no quid pro quo!
Old 4th November 2019, 03:17 AM   #115
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We won’t Steve!

The Next Revolution
@NextRevFNC
@SteveHiltonx: This whole impeachment thing - it is truly the system striking back and trying to cancel the populist revolution. We must not let them.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:19 AM   #116
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
Elizabeth Warren would destroy jobs and the middle class. If elected she must be impeached.

Obama NSC holdovers — the so-called whistleblower and the two Schiff staffers — must be part of the 2016-related criminal investigation

We have found the rat’s nest. It’s in the National Security Council.

Under Trump, black unemployment is lowest in history. No doubt, Democrats will shout racism.
Old 4th November 2019, 04:14 AM   #117
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
This isn't the first time he's taken a Smithers/Hans Moleman position.
“No, sir. They’re saying ‘Trooo-mp’”
Old 4th November 2019, 04:46 AM   #118
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

If Shifty Adam Schiff, who is a corrupt politician who fraudulently made up what I said on the “call,” is allowed to release transcripts of the Never Trumpers & others that are & were interviewed, he will change the words that were said to suit the Dems purposes. Republicans...

....should give their own transcripts of the interviews to contrast with Schiff’s manipulated propaganda. House Republicans must have nothing to do with Shifty’s rendition of those interviews. He is a proven liar, leaker & freak who is really the one who should be impeached!

False stories are being reported that a few Republican Senators are saying that President Trump may have done a quid pro quo, but it doesn’t matter, there is nothing wrong with that, it is not an impeachable event. Perhaps so, but read the transcript, there is no quid pro quo!
Not even tangentially impinging on reality.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:12 AM   #119
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not even tangentially impinging on reality.
No, but it may be unfortunately effective Reality Management. For now, anyway.
Old 4th November 2019, 05:16 AM   #120
Belz...
Fiend God

Elizabeth Warren would destroy jobs and the middle class. If elected she must be impeached.
Why do I get the feeling that every President from here on out is going to be impeached as a matter of course?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics