ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd December 2019, 02:25 PM   #2041
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Trump and his supporters appear to have zero sense of embarrassment. As described in the book “I Claudius” no “sense of smell.” They really need to look at the soles of their shoes to see what they stepped in.
The shamelessness is one of the main features of the Trump presidency. His whole appeal is that of resentment and power to fight "cultural decay". Unrestrained nastiness is the appeal of the Trump presidency.

You know, just proto-fascist things.
Old 2nd December 2019, 02:32 PM   #2042
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
When I saw Trump's pathetic "fake orgasm" stunt at the rally, it thoroughly repulsed me. It was such a childish and disgusting thing to do. Trump never fails to embarrass this country in the eyes of the world. His low behavior has become the new norm. The man has no dignity and no class. None.
To be fair, Trump has probably heard a lot of fake female orgasms.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 02:40 PM   #2043
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The best money can buy.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:34 PM   #2044
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Manufacturers are being held back by the strong Dollar, which is being propped up by the ridiculous policies of the Federal Reserve - Which has called interest rates and quantitative tightening wrong from the first days of Jay Powell!

The Fed should lower rates (there is almost no inflation) and loosen, making us competitive with other nations, and manufacturing will SOAR! Dollar is very strong relative to others.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:13 PM   #2045
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
When grabbing them by the pussy doesn't take him down, and crapping on POWs doesn't take him down, and colluding with Russia doesn't take him down, and praising neo nazis doesn't take him down, I'm not sure that there's even such a thing as an October surprise capable of taking him down. But seeing how sloppy he is in his dealings, maybe there's some juicy surprises already in someone's back pocket waiting for October that will put a nail in his coffin.
Back when Cohen and Omarosa were in the headlines, there was talk that they both had secret recordings involving Trump and his administration. Maybe one or both have something significant that they will release closer to the election. (Maybe Trump using the N-word, or explicitly directing some illegal activity.)

Granted, Trump supporters won't care, but it might just help energize the opposition to Trump and make it harder for Republicans to defend him.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:51 PM   #2046
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Oh, goody. Republicans just released a 123 page attempted defense against Trump being impeached. I took a peek at a few random spots. I can fairly safely say that "quality control" was not applied to any remotely adequate level.
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:09 PM   #2047
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mini Mike Bloomberg has instructed his third rate news organization not to investigate him or any Democrat, but to go after President Trump, only. The Failing New York Times thinks that is O.K., because their hatred & bias is so great they can’t even see straight. It’s not O.K.!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:16 PM   #2048
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is he trying to get more attention to take away from the impeachment hearings?

Why isn't some of that attention focused on the continuing impropriety of using the Office of the POTUS to advertise products which support his campaign?

Or any products, for that matter.

Didn't that used to be a no-no? As in against the law type of no-no? Or at least against federal regulations?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:39 PM   #2049
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Why isn't some of that attention focused on the continuing impropriety of using the Office of the POTUS to advertise products which support his campaign?

Or any products, for that matter.

Didn't that used to be a no-no? As in against the law type of no-no? Or at least against federal regulations?
You speak of, for example...

5 CFR § 2635.702 - Use of public office for private gain.

Quote:
§ 2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.

An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations.
Maybe, the concept of beating a dead horse is in play, given that he's been flagrantly breaking that rule constantly and for pretty much his entire Presidency? 313 days spent at his properties, for example. And the inauguration shenanigans, of course. Naturally, he was openly speaking of his intent to ignore that rule even when he was a candidate.

What's more, his Administration has been breaking rules including that one like crazy all over the place.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd December 2019 at 06:40 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:30 PM   #2050
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Taking the quote apart:

There's no "price" there, President Trump is echoing the views of a sizeable minority of the US electorate, and a majority of the GOP. <snip>
Your responses talk about Trump; the piece was NOT about Trump. Yes, all the things you cite are true for Teflon Don and, moreover, it's equally true for his stalwarts in congress and the money bags behind the GOP.

His point is that Trump won't pay a price. On that your are spot on. But there will be a price for the GOP beyond Trump. That's his point.

I'll add a personal note: If he is wrong, then we've lost what little we have left of our democracy. In that case I don't give a **** about anything any more and I'll just lead a placid life 'till I tip over.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:38 PM   #2051
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Suffice it to say this, yet again:<snip>
I'll join the chorus:
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:46 PM   #2052
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Your responses talk about Trump; the piece was NOT about Trump. Yes, all the things you cite are true for Teflon Don and, moreover, it's equally true for his stalwarts in congress and the money bags behind the GOP.

His point is that Trump won't pay a price. On that your are spot on. But there will be a price for the GOP beyond Trump. That's his point.

I'll add a personal note: If he is wrong, then we've lost what little we have left of our democracy. In that case I don't give a **** about anything any more and I'll just lead a placid life 'till I tip over.
I think I failed to get my point across then .

There is no price to pay for the GOP because their actions are consolidating their 42% (and shrinking slowly) support from their core groups. At the same time they are working hard to ensure that 42% is going to be enough to win national elections.

Maybe there'll be a tectonic shift in a generation or so and they'll have to reconsider but until then it'll be business as usual.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:02 AM   #2053
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Horowitz Report Out Soon - Trump may not be vindicated, according to Fox

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top...eport-findings

Quote:
Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., on Monday downplayed leaked reports that said the Justice Department’s inspector general's probe into the start of the FBI's Russia investigation determined that there was enough information to justify the agency's probe into members of the Trump campaign.

Ouch.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:21 AM   #2054
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The best money can buy.

Can I adopt you two?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:24 AM   #2055
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Horowitz Report Out Soon - Trump may not be vindicated, according to Fox

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top...eport-findings

Ouch.
It really sucks when your own toadies can't support the conclusion you want them to come to.

Somehow, Trump and his sickophant Repugnicans will try to spin this as a victory, and their deplorables will lap it up.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:26 AM   #2056
TofuFighter
Master Poster

When Mark Meadows specifically says "No one except Horowitz knows what's in the report", and that article states that a draft of the report has been passed to AG Barr for classification, then I assume trump knows what's in the report.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:56 AM   #2057
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It really sucks when your own toadies can't support the conclusion you want them to come to.

Somehow, Trump and his sickophant Repugnicans will try to spin this as a victory, and their deplorables will lap it up.
Except head toady Bill Barr is in line, pushing back on the report.

The shallow state fights back.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:58 AM   #2058
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Just because my investigators found nothing doesn't mean the conspiracy isn't real!!!
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:59 AM   #2059
Belz...
Fiend God

What's to dispute? What other intel could he have that they don't?

Old 3rd December 2019, 07:07 AM   #2060
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What's to dispute? What other intel could he have that they don't?
I think he's going to just lie about it, like he did with Mueller's report.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:08 AM   #2061
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think he's going to just lie about it, like he did with Mueller's report.
Lie, you say? No! Say it isn't so!

Old 3rd December 2019, 08:46 AM   #2062
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife turned the TV on this morning and he was in a presser saying bad stuff about France. While sitting next to Macron. I left the room; I just can't stand it.
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:46 AM   #2063
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My wife turned the TV on this morning and he was in a presser saying bad stuff about France. While sitting next to Macron. I left the room; I just can't stand it.
A little context here....

Macron suggested NATO was experiencing "brain death" because of U.S. actions (such as withdrawing troops in Syria, allowing Turkey to invade). He also questioned the actions of Turkey, a NATO member who has recently purchased missle systems from Russia. Trump responded with: “I think that’s insulting to a lot of different forces. You just can’t go around making statements like that about NATO. It’s very disrespectful.” (Trump also defended Turkey... ""I like Turkey and I get along very well with the President ... I would hope that he's a very good member of NATO".)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/polit...ato/index.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/e...patriotic.html

Now, keep in mind that Trump himself (in addition to his general nationalistic bigotry (e.g. ****-hole countries comment) has attacked NATO itself, calling it 'obsolete'. So for Trump to condemn Macron for his comments regarding NATO is another example of Trump's hypocrisy.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:56 AM   #2064
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump complaining about others being nasty is quite delicious.

Old 3rd December 2019, 10:28 AM   #2065
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A little context here....

Macron suggested NATO was experiencing "brain death" because of U.S. actions (such as withdrawing troops in Syria, allowing Turkey to invade). He also questioned the actions of Turkey, a NATO member who has recently purchased missle systems from Russia. Trump responded with: “I think that’s insulting to a lot of different forces. You just can’t go around making statements like that about NATO. It’s very disrespectful.” (Trump also defended Turkey... ""I like Turkey and I get along very well with the President ... I would hope that he's a very good member of NATO".)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/polit...ato/index.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/e...patriotic.html

Now, keep in mind that Trump himself (in addition to his general nationalistic bigotry (e.g. ****-hole countries comment) has attacked NATO itself, calling it 'obsolete'. So for Trump to condemn Macron for his comments regarding NATO is another example of Trump's hypocrisy.
Wait...did Trump just affirm NATO?

Well played Macron, or well stumbled into. Treat Trump like a toddler because the same tricks work on him.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:45 AM   #2066
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Can I adopt you two?
Do we get to move to Canada?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:46 AM   #2067
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The United States of America supports the brave people of Iran who are protesting for their FREEDOM. We have under the Trump Administration, and always will!
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:50 AM   #2068
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The United States of America supports the brave people of Iran who are protesting for their FREEDOM. We have under the Trump Administration, and always will!
After waffling about it first, of course. He had to wait for someone to tell him what he thinks.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:55 AM   #2069
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

That sure helps the protestors. The Iranian government has been claiming that the protestors are being prompted by meddling from the US and other western nations.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:56 AM   #2070
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Wait...did Trump just affirm NATO?

Well played Macron, or well stumbled into. Treat Trump like a toddler because the same tricks work on him.
LOL: Macron Uses Toddler Reverse Psychology Trick to Fool Trump Into Supporting NATO

Quote:
And now Trump is lashing out at Macron. “NATO serves a great purpose,” he declared today. “And I hear that President Macron said NATO is ‘brain dead.’ I think that’s very insulting to a lot of different forces … When you make a statement like that, that is a very, very nasty statement to 28 — including them — 28 countries.”

Manipulating children into doing what you want by pretending to demand they do the opposite thing is a trick most parents learn to use. It usually stops working around the age of 5.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:10 AM   #2071
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
After waffling about it first, of course. He had to wait for someone to tell him what he thinks.
The U.S. has a policy of being circumspect in statements about Iranian protests. It doesn't help the protesters to be identified too closely with U.S. endorsement. A lot of Iranians are anti-regime but also anti-U.S. meddling. And Iranians usually stop short of calling for regime change.

That said I don't know the details of current protests. A year or two ago supposed protesters were saying "down with Rouhani," which made no sense at all. I think they turned out to be an Astroturf-type movement organized by rivals.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:16 AM   #2072
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That sure helps the protestors. The Iranian government has been claiming that the protestors are being prompted by meddling from the US and other western nations.
Some protest is tolerated in Iran, but only around the edges. Calling for regime change brings out the riot police. You are right, public U.S. endorsement doesn't really help. IIRC Obama was criticized for making only mildly supportive ststements during 2009 protests.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:36 AM   #2073
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
I don't think it's that great. It presumes that, now Trump has said how great NATO is, he'll have to support it to avoid political embarrassment. Well, haven't we learned by now that Trump doesn't know or care about what he might have said yesterday: if he thinks it will benefit him to walk out of NATO, he'll do it regardless of what he said a couple of days before..
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:43 AM   #2074
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
I don't think it's that great. It presumes that, now Trump has said how great NATO is, he'll have to support it to avoid political embarrassment. Well, haven't we learned by now that Trump doesn't know or care about what he might have said yesterday: if he thinks it will benefit him to walk out of NATO, he'll do it regardless of what he said a couple of days before..
I think it's always a great thing to make Trump look like a moron.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:43 AM   #2075
Belz...
Fiend God

Do we get to move to Canada?
Well, you'll be my children, so I guess so.

Old 3rd December 2019, 11:56 AM   #2076
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I think it's always a great thing to make Trump look like a moron.
He doesn't really need the help. Though I doubt anyone who could be effected by it will notice.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:58 AM   #2077
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He doesn't really need the help. Though I doubt anyone who could be effected by it will notice.
Colonel Mustard: Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?
Wadsworth: You don't need any help from me...
Colonel Mustard: That's right!
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:11 PM   #2078
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Oh, he certainly doesn't need any assistance, but it's always appreciated.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:29 PM   #2079
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Appeals Court says Deutsche Bank and Capital One must turn over Trump records to House:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/03/p...uit/index.html

Who would have thought?
Trump was telling the complete truth when he said his lawyers told him not to release these records - since they will be very different from the ones he gave to the IRS; and the people at the IRS will face actual prison time if they let Trump cheat, knowing that there are contradictory records out there.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:34 PM   #2080
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Appeals Court says Deutsche Bank and Capital One must turn over Trump records to House:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/03/p...uit/index.html

Who would have thought?
Trump was telling the complete truth when he said his lawyers told him not to release these records - since they will be very different from the ones he gave to the IRS; and the people at the IRS will face actual prison time if they let Trump cheat, knowing that there are contradictory records out there.
So in 2 more years, and a SCOTUS battle it might actually come to fruition!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics