ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 5th November 2019, 07:49 PM   #321
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Sondland reverses himself on Ukraine, confirming quid pro quo

It's so convenient that he can now recall it, after his testimony was repeatedly contradicted.

It's so convenient that he can now recall it, after his testimony was repeatedly contradicted he was threatened with blatant perjury..
Old 5th November 2019, 07:57 PM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's so convenient that he can now recall it, after his testimony was repeatedly contradicted he was threatened with blatant perjury..
Cracks in the dam....
Old 5th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #323
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

“You can’t let that happen to me!” - Trump to Kentucky voters.

It happened to him.

Hey, whatever happened to ‘drink liberal tears’ guy?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:28 PM   #324
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Cracks in the dam....
I don't think Sondland signed-up for dam-duty, and would like to resume a life in obscurity, older and wiser.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:33 PM   #325
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It's impossible to prove that the meeting hadn't slipped his mind at the time but other testimony jogged his memory. An actual perjury case would depend on the balance of evidence, but that's moot now.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:42 PM   #326
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

@kookbreaker :
Quote:

It happened to him.
Yet again Trump has been let down by others.

Old 5th November 2019, 08:49 PM   #327
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's impossible to prove that the meeting hadn't slipped his mind at the time but other testimony jogged his memory. An actual perjury case would depend on the balance of evidence, but that's moot now.
I can't imagine that they would go after him for perjury at this point. He corrected the record.

Under other circumstances I might agree that it might be reasonable to pursue a perjury charge. But given the number of Trump officials who are lying in public and refusing to tell the truth under oath before an impeachment inquiry, he's been more forthcoming and honorable then the rest of them. Even if it was only to save his own skin.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:50 PM   #328
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

@kookbreaker :

It might be too close to call. The margin is 6,000 votes.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:55 PM   #329
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

@kookbreaker :

Don't count your chickens. It's, what, a 5000 vote difference? Could be a recount.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 09:02 PM   #330
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Don't count your chickens. It's, what, a 5000 vote difference? Could be a recount.
A recount can be a double edged sword though. Its almost as likely to increase a majority as it is to decrease it or overturn it.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 09:18 PM   #331
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I can't imagine that they would go after him for perjury at this point. He corrected the record.
Thereby mooting the point most efficiently.

Quote:
Under other circumstances I might agree that it might be reasonable to pursue a perjury charge.
I said nothing regarding other circumstances so there's nothing to agree on there. I agree that there's no point in it in these circumstances - where Sondland has lanced the boil.

Quote:
But given the number of Trump officials who are lying in public and refusing to tell the truth under oath before an impeachment inquiry, he's been more forthcoming and honorable then the rest of them.
He's been forthcoming because he wants out of the whole situation, not because of honour.

Quote:
Even if it was only to save his own skin.
There's no honour in saving your own skin. There's just instinct and a plan. Sondland's plan is to leave all this behind him as painlessly as possible and spend more time with his money. Older but wiser.

Old 5th November 2019, 09:28 PM   #332
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

If it even comes to a recount Trump will feel let down. It's not a good time to be Kentuckian. California can push back, but when the Wrath of Trump falls on Kentucky what's it got? Not a lot, frankly.

Old 5th November 2019, 09:39 PM   #333
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Thereby mooting the point most efficiently.

I said nothing regarding other circumstances so there's nothing to agree on there. I agree that there's no point in it in these circumstances - where Sondland has lanced the boil.

He's been forthcoming because he wants out of the whole situation, not because of honour.

There's no honour in saving your own skin. There's just instinct and a plan. Sondland's plan is to leave all this behind him as painlessly as possible and spend more time with his money. Older but wiser.
I really can't argue that what Sondland did was honrable. Only in comparison to the rest of the Trump administration, he was marginally better. Sondland is like the scum on the top of a septic tank. It is slightly less disgusting than the crap at the bottom.
Old 5th November 2019, 09:41 PM   #334
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will be screaming about election fraud very soon, if he's not already. Buses! Millions of illegals! Her emails!!
Old 5th November 2019, 10:48 PM   #335
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

I really can't argue that what Sondland did was honrable. Only in comparison to the rest of the Trump administration, he was marginally better. Sondland is like the scum on the top of a septic tank. It is slightly less disgusting than the crap at the bottom.
Isn't he still being questioned about why he had to go to Rick Perry to to get his story straight? I think he was asked, and all he said was to jog his memory.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 11:04 PM   #336
Venom
Illuminator

Get a load of these Florida county officials who denied digital subscription to the New York Times because Trump called it "fake news".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 11:08 PM   #337
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

I really can't argue that what Sondland did was honrable. Only in comparison to the rest of the Trump administration, he was marginally better.
Sondland is far more engaged with reality than anyone in the White House bubble, and far more comfortable with it, given that he's independently very wealthy. I'm sure he's got more than his money's worth of enjoyment out of his time in European high society, but he's no appetite for the downside that has emerged and wants out from under. He's hardly likely to think that he owes Trump any loyalty because of what he's already enjoyed. What does Trump have to offer him now? Blood, sweat, and tears. Exit stage left, in a cloud of dust and small pebbles ...

Old 5th November 2019, 11:11 PM   #338
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Trump... Jail... Trump... Jail... Will the hard choices never end? Must be tough for this really good man and great American.
Old 5th November 2019, 11:11 PM   #339
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Get a load of these Florida county officials who denied digital subscription to the New York Times because Trump called it "fake news".
What sort of person would choose to live in Florida? Oh, right, that guy ...

Old 5th November 2019, 11:56 PM   #340
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Trump... Jail... Trump... Jail... Will the hard choices never end? Must be tough for this really good man and great American.
I read a bunch of the comments.
I was most fascinated by the President Trump supporter who challenged the liberals to “try to explain why DON is so f popular abroad but TRASHED nonstop back in America?”

I have no idea how representative that guy is, but that is another drop in the This-will-not-end-well bucket.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:00 AM   #341
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

It happened to him.

Hey, whatever happened to ‘drink liberal tears’ guy?
It’s piss?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:01 AM   #342
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I read a bunch of the comments.
I was most fascinated by the President Trump supporter who challenged the liberals to “try to explain why DON is so f popular abroad but TRASHED nonstop back in America?”

I have no idea how representative that guy is, but that is another drop in the This-will-not-end-well bucket.
Has anyone told him Donny is equally reviled and laughed at outside the USA too?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:23 AM   #343
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Has anyone told him Donny is equally reviled and laughed at outside the USA too?
To be fair, I don't think it's equal at all. I think people in other countries revile and laugh more than they do here.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:34 AM   #344
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's good to know that Rallies aren't a fix-all campaign strategy.
Old 6th November 2019, 02:08 AM   #345
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
To be fair, I don't think it's equal at all. I think people in other countries revile and laugh more than they do here.
Certainly that's my impression. I'm not sure how this can really be determined though.

Here's something: trump's an asshat - in chart form
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:23 AM   #346
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

CBS Evening News
@CBSEveningNews
Officials in Citrus County, Fla., deny public library's request for digital New York Times subscription, citing Pres. Trump's belief that the nationally acclaimed paper is "fake news" https://cbsn.ws/2WLWHiV

Orlando Weekly
@OrlandoWeekly
Florida county denies library subscriptions to the New York Times because it's 'fake news'

Trump Retweeted
Tampa Bay Times
@TB_Times
“Why the heck would we spend money on something like that?”

The Hill
@thehill
Florida county commission cites Trump in denying library New York Times subscription http://hill.cm/488ofiQ

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th November 2019 at 02:24 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:25 AM   #347
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A lot of winning in Kentucky. Check out the numbers.

Our big Kentucky Rally on Monday night had a massive impact on all of the races. The increase in Governors race was at least 15 points, and maybe 20! Will be in Louisiana for
@EddieRispone on Wednesday night. Big Rally!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:36 AM   #348
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

A lot of winning in Kentucky. Check out the numbers.

Our big Kentucky Rally on Monday night had a massive impact on all of the races. The increase in Governors race was at least 15 points, and maybe 20! Will be in Louisiana for
@EddieRispone on Wednesday night. Big Rally!
Really ? The Republican was that far behind ?

Sounds like President Trump is trying to make himself feel better about the GOP likely losing that race.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:37 AM   #349
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...09674656059392

Quote:
My son,
@DonaldJTrumpJr
is coming out with a new book, “Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us” – available tomorrow, November 5th! A great new book that I highly recommend for ALL to read. Go order it today!
https://twitter.com/RedTRaccoon/stat...15534195265540

Quote:
Office of Government Ethics-

2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.

An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of relatives.
Old 6th November 2019, 02:40 AM   #350
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Equally? I think not!

He's even more reviled and laughed at outside the USA than he is within it. The only people outside the USA who have really befitted from Trump's presidency are popcorn salesmen.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 02:48 AM   #351
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

CBS Evening News
@CBSEveningNews
Officials in Citrus County, Fla., deny public library's request for digital New York Times subscription, citing Pres. Trump's belief that the nationally acclaimed paper is "fake news" https://cbsn.ws/2WLWHiV

Orlando Weekly
@OrlandoWeekly
Florida county denies library subscriptions to the New York Times because it's 'fake news'

Trump Retweeted
Tampa Bay Times
@TB_Times
“Why the heck would we spend money on something like that?”

The Hill
@thehill
Florida county commission cites Trump in denying library New York Times subscription http://hill.cm/488ofiQ
Wow. Trump is bragging about violating the 1st amendment.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:13 AM   #352
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, the swamp is deeper than we thought.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Yeah, you bet he doesn't want us to see his finances.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:30 AM   #353
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

If it even comes to a recount Trump will feel let down. It's not a good time to be Kentuckian. California can push back, but when the Wrath of Trump falls on Kentucky what's it got? Not a lot, frankly.
He'll soon say ther guy he said was a great candidate was a poor candidate. Doesn't count.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 04:36 AM   #354
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think refusing to provide online access to the Times for a few thousand dollars violates the First Amendment.
Old 6th November 2019, 04:38 AM   #355
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think refusing to provide online access to the Times for a few thousand dollars violates the First Amendment.
Trump used the power of the government to limit the freedom of the press just because he doesn't like the news it is publishing.
Old 6th November 2019, 04:57 AM   #356
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

To be fair, I don't think that's what they did. But Trump is cheering on a bunch of flagrant ignoramuses (ignorami?). Maybe he thinks they are the poolboys at Mar-a-Lago,
Old 6th November 2019, 05:43 AM   #357
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, the swamp is deeper than we thought.
Mmm. Trump Tower Azerbaijan fairly certainly involving serious violations of US law isn't exactly new news, though, to be fair. That's from 2017, and, while not forgotten, has been crowded out by so very, very much contempt for the law since.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:56 AM   #358
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump used the power of the government to limit the freedom of the press just because he doesn't like the news it is publishing.
I’m not sure one could win a court case in this particular matter. This is a county of 140,000 people 1000 miles from New York City. The library asked for funds to subscribe to the online edition of The NY Times. It could be easily argued that the library budget needs to be spent on state and local news instead of national and international news with a New York City slant. After all, the vast majority of items covered by the Times can be found in other online news sources without paywalls.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:03 AM   #359
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

These are the same people who convinced themselves that Obama was considered a ‘joke’ outside the US because Limbaugh told them so.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:05 AM   #360
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m not sure one could win a court case in this particular matter. This is a county of 140,000 people 1000 miles from New York City. The library asked for funds to subscribe to the online edition of The NY Times. It could be easily argued that the library budget needs to be spent on state and local news instead of national and international news with a New York City slant. After all, the vast majority of items covered by the Times can be found in other online news sources without paywalls.
That is what could be claimed, but did they just not claim that it's because Trump called it fake news?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics