ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:34 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

Simple words, difficult pronouncement?

I don't know how common it is, but there are a few words that I always have difficulty saying. "Aluminum" is one. It always came out 'alumumnun'. It is feels as if my mouth jumbles the word, not allowing me to say it correctly.

There are other words, but that is the primary, life long, frustrating one I deal with. Anyone else have a word/words?
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:36 AM   #2
calebprime
moleman

herb
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:37 AM   #3
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is one I stumble over now and then.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:39 AM   #4
calebprime
moleman

I, too, often catch myself before saying "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili o" with a soft "ch".
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Thermal
Philosopher

Any word beginning with 'tr' is pronounced as 'chr'. Tree becomes chree. 'Three' is also pronounced 'chree' though. And 'water' is invariably 'wooder'

Upon more sober reflection, the actual problem may be that I am stupid. So off topic for thread. I'll...uh...just be over there...

Last edited by Thermal; 3rd November 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Any word beginning with 'tr' is pronounced as 'chr'. Tree becomes chree. 'Three' is also pronounced 'chree' though. And 'water' is invariably 'wooder'

Upon more sober reflection, the actual problem may be that I am stupid. So off topic for thread. I'll...uh...just be over there...
Al-You-Min-Eee-Umh.
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:54 AM   #7
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I don't know how common it is, but there are a few words that I always have difficulty saying. "Aluminum" is one. It always came out 'alumumnun'. It is feels as if my mouth jumbles the word, not allowing me to say it correctly.

There are other words, but that is the primary, life long, frustrating one I deal with. Anyone else have a word/words?
Stick to "aluminium"
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:12 AM   #8
This is The End

New as soon as I read the OP there would be some lame ass American VS British spelling & pronunciation jokes.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:14 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Rural". The "rur" trips me up most of the time. It was a running joke in my college history classes that I'd substitute "non-urban" for "rural" whenever I needed to use the word, which comes up a lot in medieval history discussions.

I also have trouble with the penultimate syllable of "particularly", the R and L being so close together. I don't think I have a true speech impediment, I just tend to talk too fast and stumble when I hit certain combinations of sounds.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:19 AM   #10
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Rural". The "rur" trips me up most of the time. It was a running joke in my college history classes that I'd substitute "non-urban" for "rural" whenever I needed to use the word, which comes up a lot in medieval history discussions.

I also have trouble with the penultimate syllable of "particularly", the R and L being so close together. I don't think I have a true speech impediment, I just tend to talk too fast and stumble when I hit certain combinations of sounds.
You just reminded me of "particularly". It is another one my mouth get tangled with.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:21 AM   #11
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is one I stumble over now and then.
Thanks. That was helpful.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:22 AM   #12
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure I have a few spoken words like that, but I just committed one of my most common typing errors. (Full keyboard).

I have the biggest trouble typing "quite" (always comes out "wuite"), "show" and "whose" (which I invariably interchange with each other). Any word that starts with a "z".
Oh, and "always".
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:23 AM   #13
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
I, too, often catch myself before saying "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili o" with a soft "ch".
Ah. How lucky I am to have your understanding and contribution.
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:28 AM   #14
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Wednesday - It's actually fairly easy to pronounce, as long as you don't pronounce it the way it's spelled. At some point, it's fairly obvious that the entire English speaking world couldn't figure out how to pronounce Woden's Day, or spell it, but we kind of settled on how to spell it, and pretty much how to say it.

Although, when saying it, is there one d or two? I usually use one.

And then of course there is "nuclear". An awful lot of people apparently have a hard time with that one.

My wife, upon seeing somebody who didn't comb their hair or get their clothes on straight will declare that the person looks "disleveled". I'm pretty sure she would spell it out as "disheveled", but that's not how she says it.

ETA: Dictionary.com gives [wenz-dey, -dee] as the pronunciation. I sometimes say [wendz-day].

Last edited by Meadmaker; 3rd November 2019 at 10:31 AM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:39 AM   #15
This is The End

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Wednesday - It's actually fairly easy to pronounce, as long as you don't pronounce it the way it's spelled. At some point, it's fairly obvious that the entire English speaking world couldn't figure out how to pronounce Woden's Day, or spell it, but we kind of settled on how to spell it, and pretty much how to say it.

Although, when saying it, is there one d or two? I usually use one.

And then of course there is "nuclear". An awful lot of people apparently have a hard time with that one.

My wife, upon seeing somebody who didn't comb their hair or get their clothes on straight will declare that the person looks "disleveled". I'm pretty sure she would spell it out as "disheveled", but that's not how she says it.

ETA: Dictionary.com gives [wenz-dey, -dee] as the pronunciation. I sometimes say [wendz-day].

Yes. Wednesday and February are notorious for not sounding like they appear.

I remember way back in primary school being told to just say Winsday. As in "How many wins does the team have?"

If thought of as Wins Day, it is much easier to remember.

Though some people say Winds Day, as you say.
Old 3rd November 2019, 02:32 PM   #16
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I'm old school: Woden's Day.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:17 PM   #17
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I know that two words news anchors hate to have to say are "statistics" and "quid pro quo".

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Yes. Wednesday and February are notorious for not sounding like they appear.

I remember way back in primary school being told to just say Winsday. As in "How many wins does the team have?"

If thought of as Wins Day, it is much easier to remember.

Though some people say Winds Day, as you say.
If you're not saying "February", you're doing it wrong.
Old 3rd November 2019, 03:19 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Nuclear.

It is not and never has been NUCULAR.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:13 PM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Cholmondeley" is one that trips me up from time to time
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 04:16 PM   #20
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I get chided at work for using "specialty" and "speciality" interchangeably. It's not that one's correct and the other's not, it's that one is American and one is UK. Since I read so much British literature and watched so much British TV as a kid I've absorbed a lot of UK English usage without realizing it. I'm still mad at my high school English teacher who marked me down points for spelling it "focussed" instead of "focused". Jokes on him, though: he's now in his sixties and I like to imagine plagued with prostate issues causing impotence! (Sometimes you got to take the imaginary victories. Unlike my very real victory over Ms Magee, the third grade teacher who fussed so much about my handwriting: she died years ago! Ha ha ha! I WON! How's moldering in the grave, Ms M? Bet you'd prefer to be up here reading my "chickenscratch" handwriting!!! Wow, this really strayed from the point and went a teensy bit dark.)
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:16 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That word is not your chum.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:46 PM   #22
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I get chided at work for using "specialty" and "speciality" interchangeably.
Ehhh, you just want to copy Obi-Wan!
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:01 PM   #23
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

What kills me is when a character on TV or movies mispronounces some specialized jargon. It becomes immediately clear that the actor had no idea how to say the word and nobody on set cared or knew enough to correct them.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2019, 09:41 PM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
What kills me is when a character on TV or movies mispronounces some specialized jargon. It becomes immediately clear that the actor had no idea how to say the word and nobody on set cared or knew enough to correct them.
I'm still miffed that Sheldon on TBBT misspelled "Galactica" (as in "Battlestar").
The whiteboard showed "Gallactica".
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:59 PM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I very rarely stumble with my pronunciation. I'm not a trained voice actor, but I use my voice to make my living, have been a podcast host, and once was the MC of a major national skeptics convention. I always speak clearly and without error.

I do love the differences in pronunciation between various English accents though. Once you've heard "bolth" you can never unhear it

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 01:06 AM   #26
dann
Philosopher

When Burger King came to Denmark in the late 1970s, my aunt (long deceased, otherwise she'd have been 103) found it extremely difficult to pronounce the vowel in the first syllable of the word burger. /ˈbɜː(r)ɡə(r)/
Nobody else did, since the pronunciation of the letter u in burger is almost identical to the pronunciation of the letter Ý in the Danish name BÝrge but very different from any pronunciation of the letter u in Danish. In her mind, it went against the grain of how to pronounce a u to the extent that she had to distort her lips into almost Trumpian shapes in order to say the word.
She probably never ate at Burger King for this reason. (And wouldn't have liked it anyway.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 01:17 AM   #27
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I very rarely stumble with my pronunciation. I'm not a trained voice actor, but I use my voice to make my living, have been a podcast host, and once was the MC of a major national skeptics convention. I always speak clearly and without error.

I do love the differences in pronunciation between various English accents though. Once you've heard "bolth" you can never unhear it
Bolth?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 01:26 AM   #28
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"Pronouncement"

For me, the simple little word 'edited' often comes out wrong, like 'editit' or 'etidid'.

Last edited by GlennB; 4th November 2019 at 01:41 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 02:17 AM   #29
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Thanks. That was helpful.
Ah. How lucky I am to have your understanding and contribution.
You get what you pay for...

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:04 AM   #30
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
The one that I notice often is in military shows when a character speaks about "ordinance disposal" or that the "ordinance" will explode. It happens in NCIS about once or twice a season.

But, that may be a case of using the wrong word instead of mispronouncing.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:09 AM   #31
jadebox
Graduate Poster

When visiting New York City, I discovered that I had a very hard time pronouncing "Little Italy.". It doesn't just roll off the tongue. And each time I messed it up seemed to make it harder to say the next time. Finally, I just gave up and headed to Chinatown instead.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:51 AM   #32
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
New as soon as I read the OP there would be some lame ass American VS British spelling & pronunciation jokes.
That's certainly a new spelling for that word for me.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:47 AM   #33
Elaedith
Muse

I can never pronounce 'sphericity'.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:52 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The thread title is literally killing me. It's pronunciation. Pronouncement is something else entirely.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:54 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I was rewatching Star Trek TNG and noticed that Worf pronounces the O in "sensors" where every other actor pronounces the word like "sensers". As it's a sci-fi word for things that don't yet exist I doubt either is the authoritatively correct way, but it is weird and now I can't un-notice it when it comes up. He says it so clearly it sounds like he's trying to correct the other characters!
Old 4th November 2019, 07:54 AM   #36
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Featherstonehaugh is another problem word.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:57 AM   #37
Myriad
Hyperthetical

comfortable

It's easy enough to say com-fort-a-ble but sounding out all four syllables that way sounds pretentious. Most people around here say "comf-tra-ble" as three syllables instead, but that's a bit of a tongue twister (blending four consonants all of which are pronounced, m-f-t-r) and it also seems wrong for an elision because it reverses the t and r.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:57 AM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The thread title is literally killing me. It's pronunciation. Pronouncement is something else entirely.
English is odd. "Pronunciation" should mean something to do with nuns. Nuns enunciating? "Sister Mary Margaret has such beautiful diction, she's a shining example of pronunciation." "....Sister Mary Margaret has a diction, and you've seen it?!" I guess "diction" should mean something rather different also.
Old 4th November 2019, 08:02 AM   #39
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
comfortable

It's easy enough to say com-fort-a-ble but sounding out all four syllables that way sounds pretentious. Most people around here say "comf-tra-ble" as three syllables instead, but that's a bit of a tongue twister (blending four consonants all of which are pronounced, m-f-t-r) and it also seems wrong for an elision because it reverses the t and r.
I say it "comf ter bul". Thanks to a childhood of frequent relocation and a steady diet of television I have practically every pronunciation merger in American English. Most of my vowels sound the same, and anything that can be a homophone is. Caught, cot; merry, marry, Mary; even crayon, crown. I must sound like an ignorant peasant to RP English speakers.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:34 AM   #40
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I was rewatching Star Trek TNG and noticed that Worf pronounces the O in "sensors" where every other actor pronounces the word like "sensers". As it's a sci-fi word for things that don't yet exist I doubt either is the authoritatively correct way, but it is weird and now I can't un-notice it when it comes up. He says it so clearly it sounds like he's trying to correct the other characters!
Well, Worf did grow up in Russia, so there's bound to be a bit of an accent. But Star Trek doesn't even get "civilizations" consistent among their speakers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education