ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:54 AM   #41
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

My vector teacher told us he could not say the word "parallelepiped" (struggling mightily to do so while explaining this). He said whenever he said something close and pointed to a corner of the chalkboard, that's the word he meant.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:59 AM   #42
ahhell
Master Poster

Crayon, I pronounce as crown, which is apparently how they pronounce it only in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I have never been there, so I can't say for sure.

Also, measure, I pronounce as Maysher. Which my wife assures me is strange.

Some of my favorites.

Almost nobody pronounces "Err" as is technically correct. Even though I know how to pronounce that way, I won't because it sounds pretentious.

Ruse, on the television show Criminal Minds, multiple characters pronounce as Russ with a hard S, aside from that, I've only ever heard it pronounced with a z sound more like Ruze.

Last edited by ahhell; 4th November 2019 at 11:02 AM.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 11:19 AM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Crayon, I pronounce as crown, which is apparently how they pronounce it only in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I have never been there, so I can't say for sure.
Really? I've always wondered where I got crown/crayon. I did live in Michigan from ages 4 - 6, which would have been the time of my heaviest crayon use.
Old 4th November 2019, 03:39 PM   #44
Elaedith
Muse

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Featherstonehaugh is another problem word.
Not to mention Raymond Luxury-Yacht
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:56 PM   #45
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
ETA: Dictionary.com gives [wenz-dey, -dee] as the pronunciation. I sometimes say [wendz-day].
Savages. As any fule kno, it's quite clearly pronounced weddensday.

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
New[sic]
The very best pronunciation of that word (nyoo not noo) is to be found in a song, specifically the theme tune to the 1981 Bond movie, For Your Eyes Only, sung by Sheena Easton. (10/10)

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 4th November 2019 at 03:58 PM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 04:05 PM   #46
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, Worf did grow up in Russia, so there's bound to be a bit of an accent. But Star Trek doesn't even get "civilizations" consistent among their speakers.

I did a production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof where every actor spoke with a southern accent, but no two spoke with the same southern accent.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 04:12 PM   #47
wasapi
Philosopher

Another one my mouth gets jumbled trying to say: ineffably

I tend to want to add another 'ably' to it. 'ineffablally'.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:02 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Bolth?
Certain dialects of American English pronounce "both" as "bolth". Keep an ear out - you'll start hearing it now that you know about it.

As I mentioned, I used to be a podcast host. I had the privilege once of interviewing Joe Nickell. In my introduction, I seemed incapable of saying the word "investigative". I just remembered that.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:10 PM   #49
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Featherstonehaugh is another problem word.
Not a fan of that one either.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:13 PM   #50
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

A dear darling friend of mine pronounces "ask" as "ak-sk" or "axe". As in "I'll axe him about his children." Suggests a level of response out of proportion to actual requirements...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 07:13 PM   #51
Venom
Illuminator

super cali fragilistic expi ali do cious

My fourth grade memory hasn't failed me yet!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:10 AM   #52
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Really? I've always wondered where I got crown/crayon. I did live in Michigan from ages 4 - 6, which would have been the time of my heaviest crayon use.
Its hard to tell but according to this page, I think Michigan says cran but the upper peninsula says crown. So few people use either its hard to tell the exact extent. Still, I'm from CA with no connection to any part of Michigan, WTF to I say crown?

https://www.thejournal.ie/maps-ameri...38575-Jun2013/
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:15 AM   #53
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Its hard to tell but according to this page, I think Michigan says cran but the upper peninsula says crown. So few people use either its hard to tell the exact extent. Still, I'm from CA with no connection to any part of Michigan, WTF to I say crown?

https://www.thejournal.ie/maps-ameri...38575-Jun2013/
Hmmm. I lived in Lansing which isn't Upper Peninsula, but before we moved there we lived in Sturgeon Bay, in Door County Wisconsin. That's closer to the Upper Peninsula than Lansing is. Maybe I got it there? But I wasn't even in nursery school yet so I'd have to have picked it up from neighbors.

I asked my sister, she's three years older and doesn't say it "crown". So wherever we were when I picked it up, she did not.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:57 AM   #54
wasapi
Philosopher

Though I moved from Texas when I was starting elementary school, and we moved to California following my dads death. I still at times, perhaps if I am stressed, pronounce certain words with an accent. So many years later, but I will find myself saying, "y'all', "cain't", and so on. Yet my sister, 3 years older, never has a hint of accent.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:30 PM   #55
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Wednesday - It's actually fairly easy to pronounce, as long as you don't pronounce it the way it's spelled. At some point, it's fairly obvious that the entire English speaking world couldn't figure out how to pronounce Woden's Day, or spell it, but we kind of settled on how to spell it, and pretty much how to say it.

Although, when saying it, is there one d or two? I usually use one.

And then of course there is "nuclear". An awful lot of people apparently have a hard time with that one.
There is an obvious reason for that. There are several words in the English language that end with the "cular" sound (spectacular, circular, secular), and no other words that end with the KLEE-ar sound. Another commonly mispronounced word is amateur. Most Americans pronounce it "amachure", with the last part sounding much like mature. but the teur should sound like tir in stir. Again, lots of "ture" ending words like picture, pasture, and not a lot of "teur" words.

Here in Phoenix, we have a hockey team called the Coyotes. Now of course the name of the animal is pronounced ki-ote, but they are known as the ki-o-tees, another common mispronunciation. I have speculated that this may actually be caused by the Cervantes novel, Don Quixote.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 01:38 PM   #56
DallasDad
Muse

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
"Cholmondeley" is one that trips me up from time to time

I have the opposite problem with British place names. I can pronounce them (usually) correctly, but have absolutely no idea how to spell them.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 01:54 PM   #57
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
A dear darling friend of mine pronounces "ask" as "ak-sk" or "axe". As in "I'll axe him about his children." Suggests a level of response out of proportion to actual requirements...
Apparently aks was the older pronunciation, at one point, your friend would have been the more correct speaker. That point point being generations ago.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here in Phoenix, we have a hockey team called the Coyotes. Now of course the name of the animal is pronounced ki-ote, but they are known as the ki-o-tees, another common mispronunciation. I have speculated that this may actually be caused by the Cervantes novel, Don Quixote.
My understanding is that both pronunciations are correct.
Old 5th November 2019, 02:12 PM   #58
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't Wile E. from Phoenix? Or maybe it's Albuquerque...
Anyway, he's certainly referred to as a ki-o-tee.
Old 5th November 2019, 02:27 PM   #59
JDC
Thinker

I always had a problem with "cool whip"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmqJQ-nc_s

Cheers,
Jeff
JDC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 02:35 PM   #60
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Isn't that a Southern thing? It seems my Texan relatives are often using "axe" and "ak-sk".
Old 5th November 2019, 05:42 PM   #61
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The cartoons are clearly set in Monument Valley, although of course both coyotes and roadrunners are native to Phoenix as well.

As for the pronunciation, this was one of my dad's pet peeves. I suspect somewhere along the line he got rapped on the knuckles by a nun for saying it the heathen way.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 06:53 PM   #62
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Deck", in New Zealand. You can look it up.
Old 5th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #63
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Caulk", in the United States. You can look that one up, too.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:05 PM   #64
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"Deck", in New Zealand. You can look it up.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Helping!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 5th November 2019, 07:43 PM   #65
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

This one time someone asked me what I did the previous weekend. I had spent a lot of time sealing my bathtub and shower surround. What I'd said was "Oh, I spent a lot of time in the bathroom playing with my caulk."
Old 5th November 2019, 08:42 PM   #66
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

I'm sure we had a thread on pronunciation of coyote somewhere, but I couldn't find it just now.

I never heard "COY-ote" as a kid in the plains decades ago, it was always "ki-OH-tee", or occasionally a shortened form as "KI-oat".
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:48 PM   #67
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
I'm sure we had a thread on pronunciation of coyote somewhere, but I couldn't find it just now.

I never heard "COY-ote" as a kid in the plains decades ago, it was always "ki-OH-tee", or occasionally a shortened form as "KI-oat".
I'm from Montana. Ther are only two syllables in "coyote"
Old 5th November 2019, 09:19 PM   #68
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I usually hear it pronounced Quixote.

- Randall Munroe
Old 5th November 2019, 09:29 PM   #69
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I usually hear it pronounced Quixote.
"Throat-warbler-mangrove".
Old 5th November 2019, 11:31 PM   #70
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I have heard a lot of people get sword wrong.
Old 5th November 2019, 11:35 PM   #71
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
What, they pronounce it "sord" or something, do they?

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th November 2019, 12:32 AM   #72
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

There is an obvious reason for that. There are several words in the English language that end with the "cular" sound (spectacular, circular, secular), and no other words that end with the KLEE-ar sound...
It's unclear if that is actually true.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:45 AM   #73
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There is an obvious reason for that. There are several words in the English language that end with the "cular" sound (spectacular, circular, secular), and no other words that end with the KLEE-ar sound.
Except "clear".

- Randall Munroe
Old 6th November 2019, 12:51 AM   #74
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Another one my mouth gets jumbled trying to say: ineffably

I tend to want to add another 'ably' to it. 'ineffablally'.
Doesnít ineffable mean un **** able?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:52 AM   #75
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is one I stumble over now and then.
I can say that, my teacher once gave me a shilling because I could say it.

What I cannot say is "OK Google". Just doesn't come out.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:21 AM   #76
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
The penis -- mightier than the s-word.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:38 AM   #77
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
It's unclear if that is actually true.
Except "clear".
But those are 'kleer' rather than the 'klee-a' of nuclear.

Rhyme Zone agrees with the claim. There's a French name Bouclier, but I imagine that's pronounced 'boo-klee-eh'
Old 6th November 2019, 06:52 AM   #78
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The thread title is literally killing me. It's pronunciation. Pronouncement is something else entirely.
I'm wondering if it was done on purpose or if autocorrect struck again.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:29 AM   #79
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
But those are 'kleer' rather than the 'klee-a' of nuclear.

Rhyme Zone agrees with the claim. There's a French name Bouclier, but I imagine that's pronounced 'boo-klee-eh'
Klee-a? I say "nuclear" exactly like the words "new clear".
Old 6th November 2019, 07:31 AM   #80
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Klee-a? I say "nuclear" exactly like the words "new clear".
Yep, me too. Glenn's from the south of England, they talk funny there.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education