ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2019, 07:57 AM   #121
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah, that's funny every single time I hear it.

You know there's a reason why we send all that **** overseas, right?
Some jokes never get old.

Side note, I drank a lot of it in the UAE, it cost the same as every other beer that came in smaller cans,$1 right on the pier. It never occurred to me to check the alcohol content. Didn't really matter, the other beer available also sucked.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 08:19 AM   #122
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I always wonder when people want to change place names to earlier versions why they don't translate them. "We're undoing colonial imperialism by restoring the name of Lake Whiteman to Yamotahominagashaw! Which means 'Deer Lake'." "So, why not name it 'Deer Lake'?" The people who named it were trying to convey it's a lake with deer, they weren't committing to a particular set of syllables regardless of whether anybody knew their meaning.
If that were the case, many place names would revert to 'meeting place' or market place' (*Toronto, Turku, *Ontario, *or so our guide told us, but seems to mean 'beautiful lake').
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake

Last edited by Vixen; 11th November 2019 at 08:22 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 08:26 AM   #123
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of the Irish guys I knew in London found it impossible to say, 'film' or 'Euston', substituting 'filim' or 'Houston'.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 08:35 AM   #124
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I don't know how common it is, but there are a few words that I always have difficulty saying. "Aluminum" is one. It always came out 'alumumnun'. It is feels as if my mouth jumbles the word, not allowing me to say it correctly.

There are other words, but that is the primary, life long, frustrating one I deal with. Anyone else have a word/words?
A good friend of mine in high school had a speech impediment. He had problems with n's in combination with certain other letters. We teased him mercilessly over his pronunciation of aluminum. We lost touch after high school, and many years later we re-acquainted. He was IT manager at Kaiser Aluminum.
Old 11th November 2019, 09:19 AM   #125
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
A lot of the Irish guys I knew in London found it impossible to say, 'film' or 'Euston', substituting 'filim' or 'Houston'.
In my experience(My father and Grandmother), the Irish have a really hard time with "H" and where it belongs.
ahhell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:00 AM   #126
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

"Materiel" is another military word that falls to false correction these days.
I worked on a project once that involved the term insolation (the amount of solar radiation reaching a given area). Every time a document passed through me I first had to run a find/replace for "insulation", because either through spell check or some well meaning secretary that word would end up all over the damn place.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 10:07 AM   #127
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I worked on a project once that involved the term insolation (the amount of solar radiation reaching a given area). Every time a document passed through me I first had to run a find/replace for "insulation", because either through spell check or some well meaning secretary that word would end up all over the damn place.
Medical words have issues too. We had a problem with software automatically "correcting" the word "dilatation" to "dilation". They're related terms but in medicine at least the distinction is relevant.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:46 PM   #128
wasapi
Philosopher

Kaffeeklatsch. That word has always interested me. I have heard the last part, the 'klatsch', pronounced different ways.
Old 11th November 2019, 01:46 PM   #129
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Kaffeeklatsch. That word has always interested me. I have heard the last part, the 'klatsch', pronounced different ways.
A common word among the German immigrant communities in Texas. I've never actually seen the word in print and it took me a moment to decipher.

It is an odd experience this late in life to read a familiar word for the first time!

Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 02:23 PM   #130
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone really know how to pronounce "pshaw"?
Old 11th November 2019, 03:45 PM   #131
wasapi
Philosopher

A common word among the German immigrant communities in Texas. I've never actually seen the word in print and it took me a moment to decipher.

It is an odd experience this late in life to read a familiar word for the first time!
It was commonly used back when I was growing up in Texas.
Old 11th November 2019, 04:52 PM   #132
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I've always associated it with a contemptuous puff of breath, generally accompanied by a sneer.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2019, 09:21 PM   #133
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I've always associated it with a contemptuous puff of breath, generally accompanied by a sneer.
So you don't know either? I'm disappointed.
Old 12th November 2019, 06:58 AM   #134
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

Just like it's written.

It isn't complicated.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 10:45 AM   #135
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It was commonly used back when I was growing up in Texas.
Central Texas, then?

I've never heard it in Houston, Dallas, the Valley or East Texas. Always in the heart of the old German communities.

Old 13th November 2019, 03:13 PM   #136
elgarak
Illuminator

What's so difficult? Just learn German, then it's pronounced just as written (Klatsh, with the "a" as in "yacht").
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 03:56 PM   #137
wasapi
Philosopher

Central Texas, then?

I've never heard it in Houston, Dallas, the Valley or East Texas. Always in the heart of the old German communities.
Dallas, as well as relatives in Grand Prairie, used it. My mother, who was French and Irish, used it frequently, and called it coffee-clutch.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:10 PM   #138
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What the heck is coffee-clutch?

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:14 PM   #139
wasapi
Philosopher

What the heck is coffee-clutch?
As a child, I gathered it meant a group of women sharing coffee and gossip. It is simply what my mother told me.
Old 14th November 2019, 05:52 AM   #140
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Gossip calypso -pouring out the coffee and taking it back.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:32 AM   #141
ahhell
Master Poster

Dallas, as well as relatives in Grand Prairie, used it. My mother, who was French and Irish, used it frequently, and called it coffee-clutch.
I was raised a farm town of less than 2000 people in California, I knew the term as coffee clatch, and it was pretty much any group of people spreading gossip at some regular meeting, usually morning coffee.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:42 AM   #142
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm sick of seeing Craigslist real estate ads announcing "house for sell". Do people really think that's the word?
Old 14th November 2019, 10:09 AM   #143
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The pollution of the DFW area has changed a lot over the last few decades. Interesting that such words will still in use when you were here.

Either that, or I just hang out with more octogenarians in the hill country than I do in Dallas. Hmm . . .

Old 14th November 2019, 12:22 PM   #144
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Anyone been to Kauii?

The locals pronounce it about seventeen different ways, I have no clue how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 12:24 PM   #145
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
What happened to Nucular?
Well, I work for a different CEO now, so I don't pronounce it that way anymore!

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 06:29 PM   #146
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm sick of seeing Craigslist real estate ads announcing "house for sell". Do people really think that's the word?
I think they just don't care.

- Randall Munroe
Old 14th November 2019, 07:11 PM   #147
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I think they just don't care.
I'm far more sick of the Realtor(TM) industry always saying "home" instead of "house". It's not home until you live there, and sometimes not even then.

More on topic, there's Alec Douglas-Home, former PM of the UK. Whose last syallable was pronounced "Hyoom". Or some such.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:17 PM   #148
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm far more sick of the Realtor(TM) industry always saying "home" instead of "house". It's not home until you live there, and sometimes not even then.

More on topic, there's Alec Douglas-Home, former PM of the UK. Whose last syallable was pronounced "Hyoom". Or some such.
Don't you mean "Rela-tor"?
Old 15th November 2019, 06:42 AM   #149
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I wonder if they do that in the UK? For a long time "house" vs "home" was one of the "U/non U" class indicator shibboleths. "Home" was lower class. A peasant would use a looking-glass and serviettes in their home while an aristocrat would use a mirror and napkins in their house. (Funny to American perspective: the fancier-looking terms are usually the lower class ones.)
Old 15th November 2019, 07:08 AM   #150
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

One term that rankles me is the pet adoption center always stating an adoptee has found their "forever home". To me it sounds like a euphemism for "The animal died" instead of "It got adopted!"
Old 15th November 2019, 07:49 AM   #151
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
One term that rankles me is the pet adoption center always stating an adoptee has found their "forever home". To me it sounds like a euphemism for "The animal died" instead of "It got adopted!"
Not only that. The adopted pet will haunt the premises after it dies!
Old 15th November 2019, 10:06 AM   #152
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Wednesday - It's actually fairly easy to pronounce, as long as you don't pronounce it the way it's spelled. At some point, it's fairly obvious that the entire English speaking world couldn't figure out how to pronounce Woden's Day, or spell it, but we kind of settled on how to spell it, and pretty much how to say it.

Although, when saying it, is there one d or two? I usually use one.

And then of course there is "nuclear". An awful lot of people apparently have a hard time with that one.

My wife, upon seeing somebody who didn't comb their hair or get their clothes on straight will declare that the person looks "disleveled". I'm pretty sure she would spell it out as "disheveled", but that's not how she says it.

ETA: Dictionary.com gives [wenz-dey, -dee] as the pronunciation. I sometimes say [wendz-day].
We've had at least two presidents who pronounced "nuclear" as "nucyalar" (Ford and Bush II), and Carter pronounced it with the Georgia silent "l" (nuceeyar).
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 10:48 AM   #153
llwyd
Muse

Finnish kids learn to read and write quicker than English speaking children as the language is written near phonetically - and we don't even try to teach them that eagerly as kindergartens are basically just for play and even the pre-school year at 6 is not very academically focused.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #154
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
In Atlanta, were you?

Kidding aside, southern accents by actors always tickle me. To start off with there are quite a few more variants than most people realize, which is lucky for the actors, since most of them don't know any southern accent properly, and get by on some sort of generic version that only barely sounds much like any of the real ones.
Worse is reviewers who don't know the differences in accents. When I was still acting, I got a bad review for my accent in a production of "Night Must Fall". The reviewer didn't realize there was more than one sort of English accent, and that a maid would sound quite different than the upper-class ladies she worked for. They sounded quite toffee-nosed, and I was more Bow bells
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 08:01 AM   #155
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I always trip over regurgitalith when talking too fast.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:30 AM   #156
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It just occurred to me that "lisp" and "stutter" are difficult words to say for people who have those conditions.
Old 16th November 2019, 09:25 AM   #157
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Although it's usually not a problem, I have at times had a little bit of trouble getting "encephalopathy" out without a pause to concentrate.

It's definitely one of those words that can be kind of tough to say fives times fast.

Not that there is often a need to.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 10:40 AM   #158
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Although it's usually not a problem, I have at times had a little bit of trouble getting "encephalopathy" out without a pause to concentrate.

It's definitely one of those words that can be kind of tough to say fives times fast.

Not that there is often a need to.
Or even once, for most people.
Old 16th November 2019, 11:34 AM   #159
Steve
Philosopher

It just occurred to me that "lisp" and "stutter" are difficult words to say for people who have those conditions.
Onomatopoeia.
Old 16th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #160
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Or even once, for most people.

And even that generally because it is abbreviated , e.g. "BSE". Or a common name used instead, e.g. "Mad Cow Disease".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education