ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 28th November 2019, 07:12 AM   #41
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,228
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's Graham talking about the Clinton Impeachment, and how vital it was to impeach even if the Senate would not convict.
I wonder if he's watched these clips of his younger self recently. Impeachment is about "cleansing the office." Well said, senator!
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 07:28 AM   #42
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,604
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Back when I said "We need "So little doubt that even the most corrupt ******** in the Senate finally feel some shame in trying to publicly claim there's still some doubt" levels of evidence", I wasn't just thinking about Senators. That line applies to just about everyone still supporting the Republican Party at this point, which means you.

There's no way you can't honestly see how bad the evidence against Trump is. The problem is, you apparently don't seem to care about that. You're happy playing these stupid reindeer games instead of doing what you know is right. So when I talk about "feel some shame in trying to publicly claim there's still some doubt" levels of evidence, I'm talking about you. These hearing need to continue until there's enough evidence on the table that even you finally throw your hands up and admit Trump needs to go, and needs to go now.
It's only wrong when the Democrats/liberals/progs/etc do it. Otherwise it's just funny. 'LOL, look how upset the stooopid libs are at Trumps crimes and corruption! LOL!'

I see it all over facebook. They literally do not care, because trump is on 'their side'.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 07:45 AM   #43
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,312
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Thanks.

PhantomWolf, is Graham's argument supposed to be your argument? Is that why you posted it?
MY argument would be that Graham is nothing but a hypocrite.
__________________
“Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”-Sen. Lindsey Graham
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 07:55 AM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,810
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
MY argument would be that Graham is nothing but a hypocrite.
That's your argument for why House Democrats should pursue impeachment? Lindsey Graham is a hypocrite? Seems like a non sequitur to me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #45
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26,118
The Big Dog was better at this.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:17 AM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,810
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The Big Dog was better at this.
He didn't seem to get a lot of straight answers either. Setting aside the weird ass Appeal to Lindsay Graham argument for a moment, what's your take? What do you think the House Democrats' endgame actually is?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:22 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,107
This is really boring. Can we get back to actual discussion about the issues?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:31 AM   #48
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?
Jumping Jesus on a pogo-stick, it is about upholding the Constitution of the United States!

Republicans have abandoned that document
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:32 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,107
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Jumping Jesus on a pogo-stick, it is about upholding the Constitution of the United States!
Yeah but this assumes that anyone here should care about that.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:34 AM   #50
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Maybe many do try to stay informed. Everyone thinks their news is the correct news, unbiased and all that. It's a minefield of bullcrap.

People may actually believe CNN is still an impartial news source, or FOX. I can't think of a single source that I completely trust. Not even close.

I come here often to hear the "rest of the story" or at least get a few different takes on it. I learn more here than I can at any news site. Still have to sort through the bull

Which of us has the real news and the correct opinions? None of us.
I agree with you, especially the info I get here. I do read the opposite sides ideas.
We disagree about a lot, but not everything
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:35 AM   #51
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,295
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He didn't seem to get a lot of straight answers either. Setting aside the weird ass Appeal to Lindsay Graham argument for a moment, what's your take? What do you think the House Democrats' endgame actually is?
Since it's all but certain that the Trumptrash in the Senate won't do their duty to the nation, it seems clear the goal is to get the information in front of the electorate.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:38 AM   #52
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26,118
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He didn't seem to get a lot of straight answers either. Setting aside the weird ass Appeal to Lindsay Graham argument for a moment, what's your take? What do you think the House Democrats' endgame actually is?
You can't consistently post in bad faith and then act all surprised and hurt that people act as if you're posting in bad faith.

So no, thank you. I'm not interested in playing your games.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:39 AM   #53
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't read it much because I don't subscribe, but I see it as valuable because it's also owned by Murdoch. If it reports anything negative about Trump it's much harder for conservatives to write it off as "fake news." The WSJ needs to retain its credibility as a serious news source. Fox News has no such issue.
This illustrates something I try to say all the time; these are businesses, they rely on their model of truthful reporting making them money.

Fox News does not, it has more of a Weekly World News model of making money.

Why are so many Republicans denying that Capitalism works?
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:40 AM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,810
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
This is really boring. Can we get back to actual discussion about the issues?
The House Democrats' goal, and whether they're succeeding at it, is probably the most interesting and important issue here.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:40 AM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,107
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The House Democrats' goal, and whether they're succeeding at it, is probably the most interesting and important issue here.
So discuss that and stop getting sidetracked.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:42 AM   #56
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The House Democrats' goal, and whether they're succeeding at it, is probably the most interesting and important issue here.
The House Democrats’ goal is upholding the Constitution by acting as a check on executive abuse.

Do you agree or disagree with this?
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:45 AM   #57
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,312
Question

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The House Democrats' goal, and whether they're succeeding at it, is probably the most interesting and important issue here.
Why do you think that?
Would the goal of upholding US law be somehow become invalid if Democrats also would like to win the next election?
__________________
“Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”-Sen. Lindsey Graham
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 08:48 AM   #58
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 4,604
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The House Democrats' goal, and whether they're succeeding at it, is probably the most interesting and important issue here.
Why do you and other conservatives feel that President Trump is above the law?
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:13 AM   #59
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18,025
Talking

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The House Democrats' goal, and whether they're succeeding at it, is probably the most interesting and important issue here.
No. The most important issue is what did Trump do and what should be the consequences of it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:26 AM   #60
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,335
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't read it much because I don't subscribe, but I see it as valuable because it's also owned by Murdoch. If it reports anything negative about Trump it's much harder for conservatives to write it off as "fake news." The WSJ needs to retain its credibility as a serious news source. Fox News has no such issue.
The editorials tend to be pro-Trump. For example, a recent editorial argues that the judge's ruling McGahn must testify before Congress has made Congress king and paves the way for partisan harassment of the executive branch.

But the columns are often quite critical of Trump. Peggy Noonan (speechwriter for Reagan) is a good example.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:32 AM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 77,136
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The Big Dog was better at this.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:34 AM   #62
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 77,136
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No. The most important issue is what did Trump do and what should be the consequences of it.
One of your best posts, Bob.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:38 AM   #63
calebprime
moleman
 
calebprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,490
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
One of your best posts, Bob.
It's true. well done.

I think it better not to ruin it by nominating for the language award.
__________________
Now you know for certain what the big wide world is good for.

Last edited by calebprime; 28th November 2019 at 09:40 AM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:39 AM   #64
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,175
Re: reasons for impeachment, even if efforts will likely fail in the senate, and Lindey Graham's quotes during Clinton's impeachment...
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's your argument for why House Democrats should pursue impeachment? Lindsey Graham is a hypocrite? Seems like a non sequitur to me.
Some people might actually think that Graham had an actual valid point... that integrity and honor are important features of the office of the president, and impeachment (even if it fails in removal) is a valuable tool because it highlights things that go against that integrity.

Now, the reason why that particular quote/video of Graham is so useful:

- Because it makes it harder to dismiss the impeachment as simply 'democratic talking points' when its actually a republican making the statement

- It highlights the lack of integrity that republicans currently exhibit.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:43 AM   #65
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,287
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The editorials tend to be pro-Trump. For example, a recent editorial argues that the judge's ruling McGahn must testify before Congress has made Congress king and paves the way for partisan harassment of the executive branch.

But the columns are often quite critical of Trump. Peggy Noonan (speechwriter for Reagan) is a good example.
Except it doesn't make Congress King. Congress has a Constitutional duty to perform government oversight. In other words it is their damn job to keep the executive in check. And it may not do that without transparency.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 09:55 AM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,810
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why do you think that?
Would the goal of upholding US law be somehow become invalid if Democrats also would like to win the next election?
Look at it from a position of skeptical inquiry, not moral judgement. Of course the Democrat would also like to win the next election. And that's fine. If their goal is to win the next election, we can look at what they're doing, and whether or not it's working, without passing judgement on the propriety of the goal. Likewise if their goal is to uphold US law.

Likewise if their goal is to do both those things. Do you think we shouldn't examine what the goal is, and whether it's being achieved?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:16 AM   #67
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,335
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Except it doesn't make Congress King. Congress has a Constitutional duty to perform government oversight. In other words it is their damn job to keep the executive in check. And it may not do that without transparency.
I didn't say I agreed with the editorial. I mentioned it only to illustrate that the WSJ editorial board tends to a pro-Trump stance.

The opinion columns are often not supportive of Trump and the news content is reliably accurate.

Last edited by phiwum; 28th November 2019 at 10:17 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:19 AM   #68
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,287
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Look at it from a position of skeptical inquiry, not moral judgement. Of course the Democrat would also like to win the next election. And that's fine. If their goal is to win the next election, we can look at what they're doing, and whether or not it's working, without passing judgement on the propriety of the goal. Likewise if their goal is to uphold US law.

Likewise if their goal is to do both those things. Do you think we shouldn't examine what the goal is, and whether it's being achieved?
I don't think you can tell whether impeachment will lead to the Democrats winning the election. But impeachment is also about our founding principles. It is about controlling a disaster before it is too late. It's about maintaining the limits of the executive. It's about limiting Hitler's powers to Chancellor before he becomes Dur Fuhrer.

It's a dangerous game the Republicans are playing. And you should know that it is.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th November 2019 at 10:22 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:20 AM   #69
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,312
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Do you think we shouldn't examine what the goal is, and whether it's being achieved?
I sure as **** don't think it has any priority compared to upholding the law: once the investigation is done you can wonder about ulterior motives, but if you are doing it during the process, you are clearly trying to shoot the messenger.
__________________
“Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”-Sen. Lindsey Graham
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:21 AM   #70
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,287
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I didn't say I agreed with the editorial. I mentioned it only to illustrate that the WSJ editorial board tends to a pro-Trump stance.

The opinion columns are often not supportive of Trump and the news content is reliably accurate.
I know that and I didn't say you did. I was just pointing out their position was dishonest.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #71
WilliamSeger
Philosopher
 
WilliamSeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,085
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Look at it from a position of skeptical inquiry, not moral judgement. Of course the Democrat would also like to win the next election. And that's fine. If their goal is to win the next election, we can look at what they're doing, and whether or not it's working, without passing judgement on the propriety of the goal. Likewise if their goal is to uphold US law.

Likewise if their goal is to do both those things. Do you think we shouldn't examine what the goal is, and whether it's being achieved?

It sounds like you are struggling with doubts about the theory that impeachment would be political poison for Democrats. Good.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:33 AM   #72
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 32,375
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The Big Dog was better at this.
Agreed. This is no fun anymore.
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady
"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
"Real name? Xavier Jorge Gladdius Horatio McShrimp. No wonder he goes by shemp." - wasapi
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:40 AM   #73
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,433
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
For example, a recent editorial argues that the judge's ruling McGahn must testify before Congress has made Congress king and paves the way for partisan harassment of the executive branch.
There is way too much wiggle room in the phrase "paves the way." One could just as well say that any prosecutor bringing an indictment "paves the way" for prosecutorial abuse.

Equivocation, slippery slope fallacy, rhetoric that ignores the substantive issues - did I miss anything?
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:00 AM   #74
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 23,962
Trump claims he'd love for everybody, including himself, to testify, but he's doing the to protect future Presidents. Nixon made the same argument.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:01 AM   #75
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,335
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I know that and I didn't say you did. I was just pointing out their position was dishonest.
Okay. It wasn't clear to me whether you thought I was supporting the article.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:17 AM   #76
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,287
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump claims he'd love for everybody, including himself, to testify, but he's doing the to protect future Presidents. Nixon made the same argument.
Trump isn't trying to protect anything but his big white fat ass.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:22 AM   #77
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,937
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
<snip> But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Ask this guy....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
yt;dw
Oh, I'll bet you at least clicked "I AGREE" and saw who it was that PW was referring to... and then you either watched and decided to say you didn't or really did make like an ostrich.

IMO, you're being disingenuous, so in answer to your question in the first quote, I would say that you don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job if Congress determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role. Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honour and integrity to the office.

That last part is what Lindsay "Flip Flop" Graham said in the video you claimed not to have watched.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by zooterkin; 1st December 2019 at 08:37 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:41 AM   #78
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,937
“The President’s actions are having a profound impact on our society. His misdeeds have caused many to mistrust elected officials. Cynicism is swelling among the grass roots. His breach of trust has eroded the public’s faith in the office of the Presidency.”

You'd be forgiven for thinking that this is a recent quote from a Democrat Congressman talking about Trump. It is in fact, a quote talking about Bill Clinton in 1999, from Senator Chuck Grassley - another Repugnican hypocrite. Lindsay "Flip Flop" Graham and Grassley aren't the only hypocrites, they are just the worst of a bad lot.

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/2/208950...nt-republicans

The only one of these who comes out with any honour at all is Susan Collins

1999 Clinton: “I believe that in order to convict, we must conclude from the evidence presented to us with no room for doubt that our Constitution will be injured and our democracy suffer should the President remain in office one moment more.

“In this instance, the claims against the President fail to reach this very high standard. Therefore, albeit reluctantly, I will vote to acquit William Jefferson Clinton on both counts.”

2019 Trump: “If there are articles of impeachment I would be a juror just as I was in the trial for President Clinton, and as a juror I think it’s inappropriate for me to reach conclusions about evidence or to comment on the proceedings in the House.”
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 11:58 AM   #79
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 23,962
RINO!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 12:12 PM   #80
Lurch
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Thanks.

PhantomWolf, is Graham's argument supposed to be your argument? Is that why you posted it?
Probably addressed before I scrolled further...

The point is to show Graham's rank hypocrisy. Back in '98 he was all fired up about cleansing the office of the Presidency, because Willy got a BJ from a consenting adult.

Now he stands behind a credibly accused sexual abuser who pays off his other side action with illegal campaign contributions. (Yeah, I know, this latter was before he was in office, but was in order to help get him into office.) Not to mention all the other rat douchery he's been up to.

To Graham and his lot, just one minor offense by a Dem demands the full measure of righteous wrath. But a Repub can do not wrong--even potentially gunning down some shlub on 5th Avenue, it would seem.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.