ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th November 2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Looks like another terrorist attack on London Bridge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50604781
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Video of man being shot by police

https://twitter.com/HLOBlog/status/1200424529664847877
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 08:55 AM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One dead and up to five hurt on London Bridge as armed police shoot 'knifeman': Video shows people struggling with suspect before officers drag them away and open fire while bystanders flee 'in suspected terror attack'

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Armed police shot a man on London Bridge today in an incident that has left one person dead and up to five people injured as Scotland Yard said they are treating it as 'terror-related'.

Dramatic video filmed at the scene around 2pm this afternoon shows at least four people struggling with a man on the ground before armed police officers step in.

The officers tell the people on top of the suspect to move away, before dragging the last bystander to safety and opening fire. One of the bystanders is holding a knife which seems to have been taken from the suspect. The suspect lies wounded on the ground, but still moving as officers back away - clearly fearing that they are still in danger, potentially from explosives.

The incident comes two and a half years after the horrifying terrorist attack on London Bridge in June 2017 which saw three men kill eight people and injure 48 others.

While the episode unfolds this afternoon, hundreds of frightened bystanders look on and begin screaming and running for their lives as shots are fired. Police this afternoon refused to say if the shot man had died, or if another person had been killed in the incident. A spokesman said: 'We don't know, and we're not releasing any more information.'...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dent-area.html
Old 29th November 2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The man shot is dead, sources tell the Guardian.
Old 29th November 2019, 09:03 AM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Is that the "one dead", or did the attacker kill someone?
Old 29th November 2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It's not clear yet. More importantly the tubes are not stopping at London Bridge!
Old 29th November 2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Police news conference confirms that it was a terrorist attack, and the perp had a hoax explosive device attached to him, which explains why he was shot by police while apparently restrained.
Old 29th November 2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Police news conference confirms that it was a terrorist attack, and the perp had a hoax explosive device attached to him, which explains why he was shot by police while apparently restrained.
Just seen this as well.

Not that I was bothered, but the hoax belt should stop any questioning of why the police shot him. You just know it would have happened.

Well done to the members of the public who disarmed him, unbelievable courage. Even more saw if they also saw the bomb belt.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
Just seen this as well.

Not that I was bothered, but the hoax belt should stop any questioning of why the police shot him. You just know it would have happened.

Well done to the members of the public who disarmed him, unbelievable courage. Even more saw if they also saw the bomb belt.
Second this.

The public who responded and restrained this man pending the arrival of the police deserve our thanks.

If the police saw what they believed to be a suicide vest then they had little option but to shoot to kill.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

There'll probably be a George Medal or two in that.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:31 AM   #11
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Just seen this as well.

I wonder if the counter-attackers had some military training? Off duty cops? Martial arts training? I guess we'll hear more about them.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"

Shades of John Smeaton.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
There'll probably be a George Medal or two in that.
Hopefully.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:42 AM   #14
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I wonder if the counter-attackers had some military training? Off duty cops? Martial arts training? I guess we'll hear more about them.
Or just enough ordinary people who decided it stop the assailant. It's a very busy area at any time of the day, particularly around the end of lunch time.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 10:44 AM   #15
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I don't know about that, but seen some reports that one was armed with a stick (not sure if they meant walking stick), and one was wielding a fire extinguisher.

I haven't heard at this point if those that intervened were among the casualties.
Old 29th November 2019, 10:52 AM   #16
Matthew Best
Philosopher

"At least 10" casualties, two of them in serious condition.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:12 AM   #17
Matthew Best
Philosopher

“What’s remarkable about the images we’ve seen is the breathtaking heroism of members of the public who literally ran towards danger, not knowing what confronted them.

“We do know from the statement given by the assistant commissioner Neil Basu that there appears to be a device on the suspect.

“Members of the public didn’t realise at the time that was a hoax device and they really are the best of us, another example of the bravery and heroism of ordinary Londoners running towards danger, risking their own personal safety to try and save others.

“And I want to say thank you to them on behalf of all Londoners but also because it shows the best of us.”

-Mayor Sadiq Khan
Old 29th November 2019, 11:13 AM   #18
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Guardian reporting one member of the public dead.

I believe this is as well as the attacker from what I have read.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:14 AM   #19
Matthew Best
Philosopher

One member of the public was killed, in addition to the attacker being shot dead at the scene.

Ninja'd!
Old 29th November 2019, 11:15 AM   #20
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Two now, according to BBC.
"From Whitehall sources"

Last edited by Mr Fied; 29th November 2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:07 PM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

2 victims dead.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:14 PM   #22
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

What is the attraction of London Bridge for terrorists? Last time, most of the victims were tourists and nothing to do with terrorist grievances.
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 02:14 PM   #23
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The police appear to have seen the suicide vest, got rid of the public who were subduing the male and then shot him dead.

The public took the chance of it being an actual suicide vest and tried to affect an arrest, the police did not.

If that is the police tactic, there needs to be a clear message to the public, do not try and arrest someone wearing an apparent suicide vest, keep away from them as they will be treated as an immediate threat to life and they will be shot.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:15 PM   #24
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

If it was fake, that is 'suicide by policeman'.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #25
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I get it. It's the run up to Christmas. Stabbing at a shopping centre in the Hague now. Expect copycats.

Quote:
At least three people have been stabbed in an attack at a department store in a busy shopping street in The Hague, Dutch police say.

Police are searching for a man aged between 45 and 50, wearing a grey jogging tracksuit, who they believe may be behind the attack.

Images on social media showed emergency services at the scene amid crowds of Black Friday shoppers.

The condition of those injured and the motive for the attack remain unclear.

The incident happened at the Hudson's Bay store in the city's Grote Markt or main market square area, local reports say.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50609528
Old 29th November 2019, 02:35 PM   #26
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The police appear to have seen the suicide vest, got rid of the public who were subduing the male and then shot him dead.

The public took the chance of it being an actual suicide vest and tried to affect an arrest, the police did not.

If that is the police tactic, there needs to be a clear message to the public, do not try and arrest someone wearing an apparent suicide vest, keep away from them as they will be treated as an immediate threat to life and they will be shot.
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. They held him until the police arrived, presumably pinning him down so he couldn't either run away, set off a putative suicide vest, or whatever.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:35 PM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What do these knife terrorists want or what is their theme?
Old 29th November 2019, 02:44 PM   #28
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
They want the same crap that they didn't get on all the previous occasions. They never learn.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:45 PM   #29
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

The attacks in Western Europe in recent years have echoed what has happened elsewhere for a long time. Soft targets like markets, shopping centres or places of entertainment where large crowds are gathered and which are lightly defended are far easier to be successful than targeting a military base or political establishment, and generate lots of publicity.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 29th November 2019 at 02:47 PM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #30
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Mindless copycatism.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:55 PM   #31
Dragon
Graduate Poster

I was channel hopping on the car radio just after this happened and I heard that the “suicide vest” was only apparent under the terrorist’s coat after he was restrained. Think it was on LBC Radio, anyway, the video of him being shot is consistent with that account imo.
Old 29th November 2019, 03:18 PM   #32
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

BBC says this guy was a former prisoner.
Old 29th November 2019, 03:36 PM   #33
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Now being reported that one of the members of the public that helped was a convicted murderer on day release.

ETA. It seems they are looking into links with a prisoners rehabilitation conference that was taking place nearby.

Last edited by Mr Fied; 29th November 2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:24 PM   #34
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

In one of the stranger moments in this tragic incident, on of those who tackled the attacker appears to have used a narwhal tusk, appropriated from the nearby Fishmongers Hall, where events seem to have started.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:26 PM   #35
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Now being reported that one of the members of the public that helped was a convicted murderer on day release.

ETA. It seems they are looking into links with a prisoners rehabilitation conference that was taking place nearby.
Strangely, it would appear the prisoners at this Prisoners Rehabilitation conference run by Cambridge University at Fishmongers Hall were still electronically tagged and it would appear four of the guys who jumped on the guy were themselves 'rehabilitated <ahem> prisoners' one of whom is identified as James Ford, murderer. The knifeman seems to a stabbed people outside Bank station near Fishmongers Hall and I gather the other rehab prisoners chased after him with an narwhal tusk nicked from the hall and a fire extinguisher, also 'borrowed'.

There is something ironic in this and reminds me of the film Con Air about a bunch of convicts on an aeroplane.
Old 29th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #36
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The narwhal tusk is epic. It will be the new meme.
Old 29th November 2019, 06:00 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's not really a narwhal tusk. It's a unicorn!
Old 30th November 2019, 01:54 AM   #38
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
The attacks in Western Europe in recent years have echoed what has happened elsewhere for a long time. Soft targets like markets, shopping centres or places of entertainment where large crowds are gathered and which are lightly defended are far easier to be successful than targeting a military base or political establishment, and generate lots of publicity.
So pretty much the same as mass shootings in America, then.
Old 30th November 2019, 02:36 AM   #39
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. They held him until the police arrived, presumably pinning him down so he couldn't either run away, set off a putative suicide vest, or whatever.
I get that from the numerous videos of the incident. Members of the public go for the male with a fire extinguisher and what has been described as a narwhal tusk!? They get him on to the ground. Another is seen walking with the knife in his hand, so he appears to have disarmed the male of his knife. There is another who has the male pinned to the ground who the police have to pull off.

They were still struggling, but he was not going anywhere and crucially, his supposed suicide vest had not gone off.

Yet the police just shoot him. They make no attempt to assist with the restraint, using cuffs and fast straps that once applied means the male is not going anywhere and is under full control.

It very much appears that from Jean Charles De Menezes, the instruction for armed police is that if they just think someone maybe has an explosive, do not even try an effect an arrest, shoot them dead.

The public needs to be made fully aware of police tactics and not to tackle those who may have explosives as the police want to shoot them dead asap.
Old 30th November 2019, 03:47 AM   #40
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of criticism that the attacker had a terror conviction and was released on licence;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50610215

But, one of the people who helped stop the attack, was also apparently a murderer released on licence!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/104544...terror-attack/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events