ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th January 2020, 01:25 PM   #361
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Plus, during the primaries, the rational vote was split between all the rational candidates, but the irrational vote all went to Candidate Trump.
I have to wonder how many of those were "joke" votes? As in "I know this guy can't possibly win, but I'll enjoy telling my buds at the bar that I voted for Trump."
Old 4th January 2020, 02:15 PM   #362
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's why he's such a problem. Traditional bad Presidents still had vague concepts like at least not trying to be cartoonishly evil or at the very, very least simple self preservation making sure the base concept of "No matter how evil, greedy, and spiteful I want to be I at least recognize I'm better for purely selfish reasons if the country I live in continues to work and exist."

Trump is an unhinged manchild either being enabled by or using (or some sort of twisted self feeding version of both) a populace so spiteful and without hope that they want the whole system pulled down on everyone's head.
Trump has no ability to feel shame.
Old 4th January 2020, 02:40 PM   #363
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

This place is so funny. It's like a TDS Convention.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 02:43 PM   #364
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder how many of those were "joke" votes? As in "I know this guy can't possibly win, but I'll enjoy telling my buds at the bar that I voted for Trump."
Or protest votes. "I know this guy can't possibly win, but I'll enjoy the liberals seeing how many people voted for Trump".
Old 4th January 2020, 03:09 PM   #365
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Yeah. It's a laugh riot.
Old 4th January 2020, 03:39 PM   #366
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As hard as I work, & as successful as our Country has become with our Economy, our Military & everything else, it is ashame that the Democrats make us spend so much time & money on this ridiculous Impeachment Lite Hoax. I should be able to devote all of my time to the REAL USA!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 03:40 PM   #367
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Mmm. If only it were TDS. If only.

Instead, we constantly face things like... EPA's own Trump-appointed board scolds it for actions that ignore science

Quote:
Since the day he moved into the White House, Donald Trump has done everything possible to reduce the effectiveness of the EPA. That not only included turning the whole agency over to lobbyists, and removing regulations, but dismissing scientists by the score. However, there is still a Scientific Advisory Board which was established along with the agency in 1978. That board is now dominated by members, several of them non-scientists, who were appointed to their positions by Trump. Last week that board posted a set of draft reports about how EPA’s recent actions align with scientific data.

Spoiler alert: They don’t.

What the drafts show is that the actions taken the Trump EPA—and in particular the reclassification of waterways that rolls back the “Waters of the United States” definition made under Barack Obama—don’t just weaken regulations in a way that represents a threat to the public and environment. Perhaps even more importantly, the board loaded with Trump appointees repeatedly made it clear that the regulations weren’t just bad, but they were directly counter to the best scientific information.

<snip>

With the lack of internal review and the deliberate exclusion of studies on how pollution affects human health, the agency is set up to “undercut the integrity of environmental laws” and to introduce “systematic bias” in favor of polluters.
Trump and his Administration are, quite literally, acting like they're over-the-top cartoon villains way too much of the time, when it comes to what they're actually doing. Certainly, there are also a number of good things that they've done, and those things do deserve credit, but doing a good thing doesn't even remotely cancel out doing lots of much worse bad things for each good thing. That's even with the right-wing desperation that's led to literally making up good things to attribute to him out of nothing, believing blindly when he and Republican propagandists lie outright, accepting utterly nonsensical attempts to spin bad into good, and so much more brazen dishonesty.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th January 2020 at 03:42 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 04:06 PM   #368
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's why he's such a problem. Traditional bad Presidents still had vague concepts...
This to me is one of the weirdest things about the Trumpmeister. He has his supporters but he also has consistently had the worst approval numbers of any president in history; he is the most unpopular president we've ever had, at least in recent memory (I don't want to argue 19th century politics); he won the presidency with the largest losing margin in the popular vote of any president in U.S. history; a large segment of the population not only oppose him they consider him incompetent and beneath the dignity of the office. He is regularly accused of being a prolific liar; even some of his supporters seem to concede that.

Yet none of this seems to bother Trump at all. In fact, it seems to barely register on him. When someone is constantly accused, for example, of being a liar, it's human nature for that person to at least attempt to prove they're not a liar. Yet Trump just ignores it. And argues just the opposite: he's the greatest president in U.S. history.

He's like a character out of a comic book.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 04:11 PM   #369
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw a bumper sticker and I'm confused about them. I'm curious what others thought about it.

It said "GOP for Voldemort 2020".
Old 4th January 2020, 04:14 PM   #370
Aridas

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I just saw a bumper sticker and I'm confused about them. I'm curious what others thought about it.

What are you confused about?
Old 4th January 2020, 04:21 PM   #371
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
What are you confused about?
Are they Republican?
Old 4th January 2020, 04:25 PM   #372
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

As hard as I work, & as successful as our Country has become with our Economy, our Military & everything else, it is ashame that the Democrats make us spend so much time & money on this ridiculous Impeachment Lite Hoax. I should be able to devote all of my time to the REAL USA!

Yes, people who oppose him aren't really part of this country.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 04:43 PM   #373
Aridas

Are they Republican?
Probably not.
Old 4th January 2020, 04:49 PM   #374
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not.
That's what I was thinking. But OTOH, it seems like so many Trump supporters are actually proud that there is a batcrap crazy man in the White House.
Old 4th January 2020, 04:52 PM   #375
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Yes, people who oppose him aren't really part of this country.
Along this line, apparently the Trump administration notified Israel ahead of time their intention to kill the general. But not the gang of eight.

Last edited by acbytesla; 4th January 2020 at 05:45 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 05:10 PM   #376
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This to me is one of the weirdest things about the Trumpmeister. He has his supporters but he also has consistently had the worst approval numbers of any president in history; he is the most unpopular president we've ever had, at least in recent memory (I don't want to argue 19th century politics); he won the presidency with the largest losing margin in the popular vote of any president in U.S. history; a large segment of the population not only oppose him they consider him incompetent and beneath the dignity of the office. He is regularly accused of being a prolific liar; even some of his supporters seem to concede that.

Yet none of this seems to bother Trump at all. In fact, it seems to barely register on him. When someone is constantly accused, for example, of being a liar, it's human nature for that person to at least attempt to prove they're not a liar. Yet Trump just ignores it. And argues just the opposite: he's the greatest president in U.S. history.

He's like a character out of a comic book.
Have you reconsidered mental instability or illness?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 05:14 PM   #377
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Talking

Are they Republican?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 05:15 PM   #378
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Iran is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets as revenge for our ridding the world of their terrorist leader who had just killed an American, & badly wounded many others, not to mention all of the people he had killed over his lifetime, including recently....

....hundreds of Iranian protesters. He was already attacking our Embassy, and preparing for additional hits in other locations. Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have.....

....targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!
Old 4th January 2020, 05:17 PM   #379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't threatening to target non-military cultural sites an act of terrorism and a war crime?
Old 4th January 2020, 05:29 PM   #380
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Isn't threatening to target non-military cultural sites an act of terrorism and a war crime?
Perhaps regular old crimes just don't get him off any more?
Old 4th January 2020, 05:57 PM   #381
Armitage72
Illuminator

If the US does it, it's not a war crime.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 06:06 PM   #382
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Iran is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets as revenge for our ridding the world of their terrorist leader who had just killed an American, & badly wounded many others, not to mention all of the people he had killed over his lifetime, including recently....

....hundreds of Iranian protesters. He was already attacking our Embassy, and preparing for additional hits in other locations. Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have.....

....targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!
Sounds EXACTLY like the Taliban. This after visit withe all the evangelical leaders too.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 06:10 PM   #383
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
If the US does it, it's not a war crime.
Unfortunately true.

For much of my lifetime the USA was respected in a large part of the planet for their ethical positions. That sure has changed in the past three years.
Old 4th January 2020, 06:26 PM   #384
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So is threatening to kill the wives and children of terrorists, but it didn't stop stubby mcbonespurs from saying that in the 2016 election.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 06:29 PM   #385
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So is threatening to kill the wives and children of terrorists, but it didn't stop stubby mcbonespurs from saying that in the 2016 election.

A number of years ago, I saw a right-wing writer call for the US military to resume the use of siege warfare. Surround an enemy city, don't let anyone or anything in, and kill anyone who tries to leave, until the city surrenders.
Old 4th January 2020, 06:39 PM   #386
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
He was pretty successful in his quest to become president.
Much to the chagrin of most posters here.
I certainly never thought he could do it.
At the time I posted, this line of thought gave me pause. I finally decided that Zig's claim that Trump was "successful" did not bear up under scrutiny.

Yes, he's president but, in my view, in spite of, not because of his actions as a candidate. Consider that HRC had been subject to a decades-long effort to smear her, Russia kept the phony email scandal alive for months on end, Comey disastrously handled the FBI investigation then note that he lost the popular vote by ~2.9 million votes. He's only president because of an archaic electoral system giving undue preference to small, rural states.

Consider his performance as President. He has no policy principles to guide him so he lurches from one decision to the next. He was actually laughed at at the UN. He acts as president of his base, not president of the USA. He's a divisive, ineffectual leader.

Consider his career prior to 2015. He was not a successful businessman. He was not considered a favorite son by New York state or by the city itself.

Finally consider him as a human being. He's a habitual liar. He has no concept of empathy. Loyalty is a one-way street. Nearly every one who comes in contact with him comes away lesser for the experience. He's a con man and a bully. His narcissism is way beyond unhealthy.

So I stand by my claim: He is not a successful person by any measure you may chose to judge him.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 06:44 PM   #387
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Furthermore his base only stands by him because they're a new kind of fanatical cult-like body that seems to stand by him loyally regardlessly of what he does or says. Maintaining popularity when your base acts like mindless drones isn't much of an achievement either, particularly when you fail to gain new followers.

A president put under the same scrutiny as Obama, Bush or any of the predecessors would have been kicked out of the White House a long time ago.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:17 PM   #388
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Someone, possibly Iranians, have hacked the web site of the Federal Depository Library Program. The front page of the site has bween replaced by an Iranian message and, more worryingly, an image of the Orangeführer being hit in the face by a fist.

Trump, being an adult capable of restraining himself, will surely not respond to such a petty insult in a childish, destructive or for that matter dangerous way .

(Would be sort of funny if he had an Iranian web site hacked and replaced by some of his Twitter messages).
Old 4th January 2020, 07:32 PM   #389
Aridas

It's not just him threatening war crimes. Lindsay Graham was threatening civilians who worked in Iran's oil industry.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:33 PM   #390
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It's not just him threatening war crimes. Lindsay Graham was threatening civilians who worked in Iran's oil industry.
Oooo, he's big and brave!
Old 4th January 2020, 07:33 PM   #391
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Wonder where he heard that?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 07:36 PM   #392
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Translation:

GOP supports Trump 2020

Space Force.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 07:37 PM   #393
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Ever the kidder.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:42 PM   #394
Aridas

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Ever the kidder.
To be fair, given his upbringing, he might actually think that he's working hard. He was made a millionaire by the time he was 7, after all, with even less work.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:48 PM   #395
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Someone, possibly Iranians, have hacked the web site of the Federal Depository Library Program. The front page of the site has bween replaced by an Iranian message and, more worryingly, an image of the Orangeführer being hit in the face by a fist.

Trump, being an adult capable of restraining himself, will surely not respond to such a petty insult in a childish, destructive or for that matter dangerous way .

(Would be sort of funny if he had an Iranian web site hacked and replaced by some of his Twitter messages).
The image of Trump is almost as good as Kathy Griffin's

Space Force.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:48 PM   #396
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Quick question, my American friends. What is the "REAL USA"??
Old 4th January 2020, 07:57 PM   #397
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This to me is one of the weirdest things about the Trumpmeister. He has his supporters but he also has consistently had the worst approval numbers of any president in history; he is the most unpopular president we've ever had, at least in recent memory (I don't want to argue 19th century politics); he won the presidency with the largest losing margin in the popular vote of any president in U.S. history; a large segment of the population not only oppose him they consider him incompetent and beneath the dignity of the office. He is regularly accused of being a prolific liar; even some of his supporters seem to concede that...
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Have you reconsidered mental instability or illness?
Undoubtedly, but I want to emphasize what not why. I don't want to put his supporters on the defensive, I want to try and reach them (a few, anyway) and say, 'Hey look what kind of a person he is.' This is not GWB. This guy is a whole different ballgame.

Many Democrats say, if a Democratic president behaved this way, "I would not support them." I believe them; I wouldn't either. People really need to wake up. Trump isn't just a liar and deranged-acting. The man is dangerous.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 08:00 PM   #398
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Quick question, my American friends. What is the "REAL USA"??
In Trumpistan, the REAL USA is comprised of white men with money.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 08:02 PM   #399
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

As hard as I work, & as successful as our Country has become with our Economy, our Military & everything else...
USA ranked 27th in the world in education and healthcare — down from 6th in 1990

Just a couple examples among many available that demonstrate there’s nothing save for catsup on a steak our boy likes more than demonstrating his ignorance.
Old 4th January 2020, 08:07 PM   #400
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Did anyone else observe that Trump's "speech" about the strike against Iran was given like a scared toddler trying to appear tough?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics