ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:11 AM   #201
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Can’t believe @ATT keeps the management after yet another @CNN ratings dive. Nobody watching, NO CREDIBILITY! Maybe they should make changes at AT&T?

Heather Jones
@heatherjones333
#HappyNewYear2020 to Everyone but @CNN (Cause that would be futile)
RATINGS CRASH: CNN's Brian Stelter Just Fell To Embarrassing Low With Key Demo https://thegatewaypundit.com/2020/01...with-key-demo/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 04:50 AM   #202
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

So, remember Edward Gallagher - the SEAL who was charged with stabbing to death a child who lay in a hospital bed and convicted of posing for photographs with the corpse, who Trump then pardoned? Well, he's got his own clothing line now. This twitter thread highlights issues with that and the way it's being reported.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 2nd January 2020 at 04:54 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:23 AM   #203
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump popularity got some kind of sympathy blip in December. It went up half a percent in December and the Nancy thing.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/
but is on its way down to 42 again.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:31 AM   #204
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sohrab Ahmari, New York Post “The Trump Campaign raised $10 million in the two days following the impeachment (Scam) vote. It seems the Democrats have shot themselves in the foot in one more way. They set up a process they know is not going to lead to the Presidents removal, &...

....it’s alienating independents. This President is being persecuted over three years with one investigation after another, and that really plays to his base.” @FoxNews @cvpayne
Their partisan Witch Hunt is hurting our Country do badly, & only bringing more division than ever!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:32 AM   #205
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A lot of very good people were taken down by a small group of Dirty (Filthy) Cops, politicians, government officials, and an investigation that was illegally started & that SPIED on my campaign. The Witch Hunt is sputtering badly, but still going on (Ukraine Hoax!). If this....

....had happened to a Presidential candidate, or President, who was a Democrat, everybody involved would long ago be in jail for treason (and more), and it would be considered the CRIME OF THE CENTURY, far bigger and more sinister than Watergate!
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:37 AM   #206
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

A lot of very good people were taken down by a small group of Dirty (Filthy) Cops, politicians, government officials, and an investigation that was illegally started & that SPIED on my campaign.
Its been revealed that the FBI, far from having an 'anti-Trump' bias, actually had agents who actually supported the Republicans prior to (and shortly after) the 2016 election.

https://www.businessinsider.com/doj-...agents-2019-12

I wonder how those agents feel now, after years of constants attacks by Trump against the overall integrity of the FBI.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:09 AM   #207
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Its been revealed that the FBI, far from having an 'anti-Trump' bias, actually had agents who actually supported the Republicans prior to (and shortly after) the 2016 election.

I wonder how those agents feel now, after years of constants attacks by Trump against the overall integrity of the FBI.
If they're anything like other Trump supporters and Republicans, they probably feel exactly the same as before. After all, Trump isn't talking about THEM, he's talking about the OTHER ones.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 01:31 PM   #208
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Republicans are pushing hard to try to restrict abortion rights:

From: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...der-roe-v-wade
More than 200 members of Congress want the Supreme Court to “reconsider” the landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade....166 House Republicans and 39 Senate Republicans signed an amicus brief calling the right to an abortion “unworkable.”

Right now, the number of people who think abortion should be illegal in most/all cases is around 38%. So anti-abortionists are clearly in the minority. (Even a good chunk of Republican voters/Trump supporters want Abortion to remain legal.) I figure the last thing the republicans want is to actually have some success over this... much like their failed health care bill, if they win, they risk alienating not only the opposition, but a certain segment of their own voters who will be harmed as a result.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...n-on-abortion/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 2nd January 2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 05:03 PM   #209
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump Tweets

Great job!

Trump War Room --- Text FIGHT to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
No lies about a video.
No lies about who was responsible for the attack.
No unanswered calls for help.
No dead Americans.
There will be no Benghazis on President Trump’s watch! https://twitter.com/lucasfoxnews/sta...82298960646147

What the hell is THAT about?

Somehow I suspect that sending such a text would end up getting an awful lot of GOP/Trumpista spam to your phone. No way I'm going to experiment with it, though.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 05:31 PM   #210
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Junior Tweeted

Donald Trump Jr.
@DonaldJTrumpJr
Why is this not at all surprising?

David Martosko
@dmartosko
Barack Obama welcomed Hadi al-Amiri to the Oval Office in 2011 as part of Iraq PM Nouri al-Maliki's delegation. On Tuesday Mike Pompeo named him, now a member of Iraq's parliament, as an "Iranian proxy" leader of the attack on the U.S. embassy in Baghdad. https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ite-House.html
Old 2nd January 2020, 05:35 PM   #211
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
So, remember Edward Gallagher - the SEAL who was charged with stabbing to death a child who lay in a hospital bed and convicted of posing for photographs with the corpse, who Trump then pardoned? Well, he's got his own clothing line now. This twitter thread highlights issues with that and the way it's being reported.
So that's what that 'don't buy salty frog' message was about. I think I saw it on Twitter. I can't remember for sure where I saw it.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 05:38 PM   #212
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They probably rationalize the same way Comey does.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:12 PM   #213
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

My former brother-in-law just retired from the FBI, and it's true. Most of the agents he worked with were strongly anti-Hillary if not pro-Trump. I mean, they were "Bengazi" loony anti-Hillary, and he would mock them for it.

I was driving through Iowa over the holiday and saw a yard sign that proclaimed that both the CIA and the FBI were corrupt - vote republican!

I wondered the same thing as you - what do the rank-and-file agents think about these accusations that the bureau is corrupt? Support the police! But not the feds....
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:32 PM   #214
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Reports are coming in that a senior Iraqi military leader, General Qassem Suleimani has been killed although some sources are saying "Air strike" and others are saying "shelling" as the cause.
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:35 PM   #215
Tero
Graduate Poster

Looks like Republicans are pushing hard to try to restrict abortion rights:

From: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...der-roe-v-wade
More than 200 members of Congress want the Supreme Court to “reconsider” the landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade....166 House Republicans and 39 Senate Republicans signed an amicus brief calling the right to an abortion “unworkable.”

Right now, the number of people who think abortion should be illegal in most/all cases is around 38%. So anti-abortionists are clearly in the minority. (Even a good chunk of Republican voters/Trump supporters want Abortion to remain legal.) I figure the last thing the republicans want is to actually have some success over this... much like their failed health care bill, if they win, they risk alienating not only the opposition, but a certain segment of their own voters who will be harmed as a result.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...n-on-abortion/
Aaand we have now EVERY REPUBLICAN who does not understand separation of powers. Just like Trump.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:55 PM   #216
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Can’t believe @ATT keeps the management after yet another @CNN ratings dive. Nobody watching, NO CREDIBILITY! Maybe they should make changes at AT&T?

Heather Jones
@heatherjones333
#HappyNewYear2020 to Everyone but @CNN (Cause that would be futile)
RATINGS CRASH: CNN's Brian Stelter Just Fell To Embarrassing Low With Key Demo https://thegatewaypundit.com/2020/01...with-key-demo/
How PRESIDENTIAL.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:57 PM   #217
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Reports are coming in that a senior Iraqi military leader, General Qassem Suleimani has been killed although some sources are saying "Air strike" and others are saying "shelling" as the cause.
Not sure how the strike should be identified, but apparently the Defense Department just announced it was a targeted assassination by US forces.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 2nd January 2020 at 08:00 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:59 PM   #218
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
By am American airstrike.

"The head of an elite Iranian military unit has been killed in an apparent United States missile strike on Baghdad International Airport.

Iranian Major-General Qassem Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis were killed in the strike on their convoy, an Iraqi militia spokesman told the Reuters news agency."

Last edited by a_unique_person; 2nd January 2020 at 08:04 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:03 PM   #219
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
How PRESIDENTIAL.
It could always be worse. It may get worse! Imagine:

Trump Tweets: "These JCPENNEY pants are THE WORST. Size 62 waist? LIES! I can't even get in them!"

Trump Tweets: "what is this floatign thing in m eye, i cant see it when i look at it moves away. CROOOKED PELOSI DID THE EYE THING! Traitor to AMERICA!!!"

Trump Tweets: "large pepperoni with cheesy crust, a large ham and sausage with cheesy crust, and can i have a pizza with chicken nuggets on it? Also six two liters of DIET COKE!"

Trump Tweets: "Siri what is magnificent narcism?"
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:04 PM   #220
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

But Trump just tweeted that he was their bestest friend!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:37 PM   #221
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

That sound you just heard was all the trumpkins who claimed to be terrified of "Killary" taking any kind of military action in the Middle East doing a frantic scramble to justify Trump taking action in the Middle East. That 180° about face is going to be tough to pull off.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:39 PM   #222
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
That sound you just heard was all the trumpkins who claimed to be terrified of "Killary" taking any kind of military action in the Middle East doing a frantic scramble to justify Trump taking action in the Middle East. That 180° about face is going to be tough to pull off.
Nah. They can spin and justify just about anything.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:52 PM   #223
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Why is that going to be tough to pull off?

The last 3 years have been “ignore what I said yesterday; pay attention only to what I’m saying right now!

ETA
These are the guys who unashamedly said, “of course we would approve a SCOTUS nominee in the last few months of POTUS’s term.”

Last edited by Ladewig; 2nd January 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:18 PM   #224
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The PDJT has no idea what he's just done.
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:19 PM   #225
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nah. They can spin and justify just about anything.
ftfy

Old 2nd January 2020, 09:20 PM   #226
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
And how is that different from all the other things he has done?
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:27 PM   #227
Davidlpf
Muse

Don't know how different but this could be bad, very bad. The Iranian is no match for the US military but others could join in. But just having a US president who goes around killing officials of other countries is bad a trend to start.
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:31 PM   #228
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And how is that different from all the other things he has done?
It's got people in other countries pissed off.

Powerful people. Dangerous people.
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:37 PM   #229
Davidlpf
Muse

Well I am Canadian and I am not happy with this, we probably wont fight in anything that comes out of this but we might be targeted by some people. Trump is just an idiot, he never learned the rule, "Don't poke the bear."
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:40 PM   #230
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump Tweets

Sohrab Ahmari, New York Post “The Trump Campaign raised $10 million in the two days following the impeachment (Scam) vote. It seems the Democrats have shot themselves in the foot in one more way. They set up a process they know is not going to lead to the Presidents removal, &...

....it’s alienating independents. This President is being persecuted over three years with one investigation after another, and that really plays to his base.” @FoxNews @cvpayne
Their partisan Witch Hunt is hurting our Country do badly, & only bringing more division than ever!
At last check, Democratic Party candidate fundraising is overwhelmingly higher, just divided. Bernie, alone, got about 3/4th's of Trump's haul.

Meh. My reaction is simply **** Trump. Trump's almost certainly doing this to provoke backlash, with the expectation that Americans will rally behind him if there's actually a war. That, and as a distraction. Maybe also as an excuse to invoke emergency powers.
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:45 PM   #231
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
When this sort of thing happened to Clinton the GOP went nuts whining about wagging the dog. It hampered Clinton who was in the process of going after Bin Laden.

Is Trump wagging the dog? Let's ask. When was the last American death in Iraq?

Turns out ~20 soldiers a year have died in Iraq under Trump's watch.

This statistic shows the number of U.S. soldier fatalities in the Iraq War

So was there something different this time like an insurgent attack?

Nope. Current Travel advisory, Iraq
Quote:
Do not travel to Iraq due to terrorism, kidnapping, and armed conflict.

U.S. citizens in Iraq are at high risk for violence and kidnapping. Numerous terrorist and insurgent groups are active in Iraq and regularly attack both Iraqi security forces and civilians. Anti-U.S. sectarian militias may also threaten U.S. citizens and Western companies throughout Iraq. Attacks by improvised explosive devices (IEDs) occur in many areas of the country, including Baghdad.
So why did Trump feel the need to bomb a few insurgents now after a single American contractor death?

Then there is the pissing off the locals by ignoring their deaths which while not necessarily part of the wagging the dog, this certainly heats up the tinder box. The Intercept (look at the data, not just the politics): Civilian Deaths in U.S. Wars Are Skyrocketing Under Trump.

LA Times: Column: Trump’s brand of war is killing more civilians than before

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd January 2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:06 PM   #232
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Davidlpf View Post
Trump is just an idiot, he never learned the rule, "Don't poke the bear."
Or perhaps Trump is the bear, and he got poked.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:11 PM   #233
Davidlpf
Muse

There is also the fact Russia and China are allies to Iran.

If this turns out to be just a political ploy to get out of impeachment, or to get leader for life and make his family a dynasty I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:18 PM   #234
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

If this turns out to be just a political ploy to get out of impeachment,
It's possible that was part of the calculus, but it's unlikely to be the only reason.

Quote:
or to get leader for life and make his family a dynasty I wouldn't be surprised.
Yeah, no. Not a chance in hell. It's obvious that can't work, and Trump isn't actually stupid.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:22 PM   #235
Davidlpf
Muse

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Yeah, no. Not a chance in hell. It's obvious that can't work, and Trump isn't actually stupid.
Haven't seen any evidence to counter act that he isn't stupid.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:23 PM   #236
Steve
Philosopher

It's possible that was part of the calculus, but it's unlikely to be the only reason.

Whoa there! Only his supporters with a lower IQ than him think that. His smarter supporters just find him to be a politically useful idiot.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:29 PM   #237
Davidlpf
Muse

Like Palin, she was only brought to get certain votes.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:38 PM   #238
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Haven't seen any evidence to counter act that he isn't stupid.
Then you aren't paying attention.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Whoa there! Only his supporters with a lower IQ than him think that. His smarter supporters just find him to be a politically useful idiot.
When a successful person does something that looks stupid to you, you should consider the possibility that you don't understand what it is that they're doing.

Like Palin, she was only brought to get certain votes.
Trump wasn't brought. He barged his way in, when none of the party establishment wanted him. He beat out a crowd of Republican contenders, and then defeated Hillary when nobody thought he could.

Democratic strategists might call him stupid, but if they actually believe that, they'll lose to him again.
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:46 PM   #239
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Then you aren't paying attention.

When a successful person does something that looks stupid to you, you should consider the possibility that you don't understand what it is that they're doing.

Trump wasn't brought. He barged his way in, when none of the party establishment wanted him. He beat out a crowd of Republican contenders, and then defeated Hillary when nobody thought he could.

Democratic strategists might call him stupid, but if they actually believe that, they'll lose to him again.
*sigh* no he didn’t win it on his own. Stop trying to tell us how smart Trump is when clearly he isn’t. He cheated royally and had Putin’s help. Like he always has for years. On his own, he would never have been a candidate. He crashed casinos...how smart can THAT be?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:59 PM   #240
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
*sigh* no he didn’t win it on his own.
I didn't say he won it on his own. No one does. But he wasn't picked by the establishment. He isn't anyone's puppet, and certainly not Putin's. This is conspiratorial nonsense.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics