ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 31st December 2019, 04:06 PM   #41
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 19,653
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I think that abaddon did a good job in answering the following so will just confine myself to responding to the sillier bits.
Thanks, but I am no authority. Well, perhaps I have at least some authority as we shall see in the next section.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Well I think I answered the question of why not a caring god with my comment about it not interfering when all kinds of nasty stuff is happening. A bolt of lightening or two zapping child molesting priests would be a good start.
And that is a moral problem for the god botherers. Is there a man or woman among us who would not prevent a child being raped? I would give my life to stop such a thing. Pretty sure Thor would. Pretty sure many members here would. But god would not. He could, but he refuses to do so. He just watches and tells the perpetrator that he will merely watch as it happens and punish the perp at some later time.

Perhaps god is a perverted voyeur. It seems so. Were either of my children so assaulted, I could not stand by. But bible god could and apparently does. Thus I have higher morals than bible god.

Any bible basher care to explain?

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
This is a bit of a jumble but here goes.
It is a jumble.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
The Abrahamic god of the OT did lots of intervening but grew tired of it it seems.
Exactly how did you determine that god got "bored"? Seems more likely that it doesn't exist in the first place.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
He did chat directly with some people using props like burning bushes and such also.
Nope.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
He stopped doing this also,
Yep.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
(some who hear voices in their heads my dispute this), good while ago.
Those are called delusions.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
If the god you are referring to is this one then the "blindingly obvious" is now but not then?
Simples. The blindingly obvious god is the one that whichever protagonist happens to believe in.

Amusingly, on another forum, there are two muslims arguing. That is how religion works.



Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
It's obvious our minds work somewhat differently.
Ha. Thank you captain obvious.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I don't look for a purpose for every phenomena I come across. This would be nonsensical for me given I think all phenomena just happened and wasn't made by a god. If you start off with the assumption that God did it it's reasonable to look for a purpose. So asking what purpose the god of Abraham had in creating man is a reasonable question. Any answer?
Your optimism is admirable.



Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
So we were made in Gods image but not a perfect copy?
That is a problem for the abrahamic religions. According to the bible, god is of human form, showed his butt to the imaginary moses, cheated at wrestling and so forth. This leaves the believers in a quandary. And they cannot work it out.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I suppose the many failings of the human physical body would not look good on God so there would be one exception.
Why should there be an exception? Because...
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I have heard it said we are made spiritually in His image but I have some difficulty with this notion.
Of course you do because the bible claims the opposite.
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Our spiritual replication was flawed in the decision making process perhaps? You know by eating the apple - mainly Eve's fault of course.
What a bitch, I suppose. Blame her, why not?

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
But their crimes will be forgiven if they just believe in Jesus! Wow yes, just like that! Mind you if your geographical location has stopped you from learning about Jesus, or your God given spiritual mind cannot accept this truth, you're stuffed.
Well, as an atheist, I can do whatever I like. But if I have a deathbed conversion, I go straight to heaven, no questions asked no matter what I might have done in the past.

Justice simply does not exist in christianity.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 04:28 PM   #42
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16,331
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Silly God really can't get much right. After creating the Universe and looking on His work and "seeing it was very good" has to start over by drowning every living thing (almost) shortly thereafter.
And you think he would have foreseen that, wouldn't you? Being omniscient and all. He even missed out at the very beginning when Adam and Eve ate the fruit of knowledge. Why did he even bother to tell them not to when he knew they would? To quote Bugs Bunny - "What a maroon!"
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 04:31 PM   #43
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16,331
BTW: if I was a believer I would honor Eve with the highest reward I could! Eating of the fruit of knowledge was the event that made humans who we are and presumably different from other animals. Plus the willingness to defy authority unwilling to provide a rationale for their commands. Secondary credit to the snake of course.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 06:10 PM   #44
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,893
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Both Scientology and Mormonism are supremely silly, yet very successful in their own way.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The only reason we don't view the abrahamic religions as equally silly as all the other religions is simply familiarity.

Well I do agree with you to a large extent Darat, but there are some issues with the origins of of Scientology and Mormonism, that speak loudly about the apparent gullibility of the followers.

The founder of Scientology apparently just extending his science fiction mythology, and Joseph Smith coming from a background of story telling and fraud as I understand it.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 06:12 PM   #45
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,893
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
BTW: if I was a believer I would honor Eve with the highest reward I could! Eating of the fruit of knowledge was the event that made humans who we are and presumably different from other animals. Plus the willingness to defy authority unwilling to provide a rationale for their commands. Secondary credit to the snake of course.

Praise be to the snake who became legless for his trouble.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 07:20 PM   #46
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Unless the tree was there specifically as a test. Of course, since Adam & Eve were supposedly immortal at this point what you have is a test where the only end condition is failure, with punishment for that failure. So kinda sadistic.
Typical. The logical question is "can you have free will if there is no opportunity to exercise it"?

But who cares about logic when you can judge God instead?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 07:31 PM   #47
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,564
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Typical. The logical question is "can you have free will if there is no opportunity to exercise it"?

But who cares about logic when you can judge God instead?
You really think that's logic!!!???.

The logical question is "Can you exercise free will to choose between good and bad if there is no knowledge of good and bad with which to exercise it"?

But who cares about logic when you can judge Atheists instead?

That Atheists can't judge what they don't think exists is yet another logical point that seems to elude you.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.
Make beliefs truths and you get make-believe truths.

Last edited by ynot; 31st December 2019 at 07:38 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 07:40 PM   #48
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
The logical question is "Can you exercise free will to choose between good or bad if there is no knowledge of good or bad with which to exercise it"?
They weren't vegetables. They still had the ability to make a choice. They were given the warning that if they ate the fruit then they would "surely die". They didn't have to know that it was good or evil to reject that warning to exercise a choice.

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
That we can't judge what we don't think exists is yet another logical point for you.
Yet you judge away anyhow.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:04 PM   #49
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,564
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
They weren't vegetables. They still had the ability to make a choice. They were given the warning that if they ate the fruit then they would "surely die". They didn't have to know that it was good or evil to reject that warning to exercise a choice.
And that warning in the fairy story was a lie. It wasn't merely "surely die", it was "in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die".

So a totally uniformed, uneducated, blind, innocent decision for a purely "because I said so" order that deserved eternal punishment for them and all subsequent humans as well! What a silly fairy story.

Given A and E were made immortal in the fairy story, would they have even understand what "die" meant?

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Yet you judge away anyhow.
Sure, but we judge the god beliefs and stories, not gods we don't think exists. Bet you have trouble seeing the difference there.
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.
Make beliefs truths and you get make-believe truths.

Last edited by ynot; 31st December 2019 at 08:14 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:09 PM   #50
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 13,483
Become silly?
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:15 PM   #51
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
And that warning in the fairy story was a lie. It wasn't merely "surely die", it was "in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die".
Whatever.

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
So a totally uniformed, uneducated, innocent decision that deserved eternal punishment for them and all subsequent humans as well!
And now you are back to eschewing the logical question in favour of judgement.

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Given A and E were made immortal in the fairy story, would they have even understand what "die" meant?
Not if they were vegetables or babies crapping in their nappies.

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Sure, but we judge the god beliefs and stories, not gods we don't think exists. Bet you have trouble seeing the difference there.
I have heaps of trouble "seeing the difference there". It sounds like a "I didn't say Simon Says" type defence.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:21 PM   #52
ynot
Philosopher
 
ynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,564
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Whatever.


And now you are back to eschewing the logical question in favour of judgement.


Not if they were vegetables or babies crapping in their nappies.


I have heaps of trouble "seeing the difference there". It sounds like a "I didn't say Simon Says" type defence.
As you say "whatever"

Instead of attempting to reverse engineer your silly fantasy god out of an arbitrarily selected collection of two thousand plus year old mythical, superstitious writings, why don't you provide some credible direct evidence that your fantasy god actually exists, or perhaps even some good reason how it could or might exist?
__________________
Paranormal beliefs are knowledge placebos.
Rumours of a god’s existence have been greatly exaggerated.
Make beliefs truths and you get make-believe truths.

Last edited by ynot; 31st December 2019 at 08:40 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:52 PM   #53
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by ynot View Post
As you say "whatever"

Instead of attempting to reverse engineer your silly fantasy god out of an arbitrarily selected collection of two thousand plus year old mythical, superstitious writings, why don't you provide some credible direct evidence that your fantasy god actually exists, or perhaps even some good reason how it could or might exist?
Because I am not "attempting to reverse engineer your silly fantasy god out of an arbitrarily selected collection of two thousand plus year old mythical, superstitious writings" nor am I concerning myself whether such a god exists nor (if he does) whether he actually set up a scenario as described in Genesis 2.

This was simply a question of logic.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2019, 08:53 PM   #54
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,698
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
They weren't vegetables. They still had the ability to make a choice. They were given the warning that if they ate the fruit then they would "surely die". They didn't have to know that it was good or evil to reject that warning to exercise a choice.


Yet you judge away anyhow.
It’s just a story. They did not exist.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 12:08 AM   #55
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,676
It isn’t as though the story bothers to make clear exactly how much agency they are working with before the fall. It isn’t that sort of story. It wouldn’t be such a problem if there weren’t so many people who refuse to think of the story as a sloppy parable/metaphor that’s been unnecessarily glorified. Pity about the whole thing where they decided to pin the concept of original sin on it like it really happened.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 03:10 AM   #56
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 11,537
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Is there a man or woman among us who would not prevent a child being raped?
Is there a man or woman among us who would not prevent a child dying of cancer?

The fixation on explaining why people do bad things despite God completely ignores the fact that the majority of bad things that happen are not caused by people.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 03:20 AM   #57
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 22,296
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Must remember those that believe in God have major issues. They need a security blanket, so they use God as one. The rest does not matter.
Looks like a big claim. Is this based on psychological surveys? Personal experience? Or deduction from the idea that all god beliefs are security blankets and requiring such a security blanket is having major issues?

I am not convinced that even most atheists are without “issues” that arise from their mortality.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:59 AM   #58
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It’s just a story. They did not exist.
Not the point.

This is supposed to be an exercise in logic. Conditional logic doesn't require the premise to be true. It is about whether the conclusion necessarily follows IF we assume that the premise is true.

Unfortunately, from some of the responses I have gotten, it seems that if I don't shout my "lack of belief" from the roof tops then I am guilty of heresy.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:35 AM   #59
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster
 
DuvalHMFIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,490
All of this talk of logic has reminded me of Norm MacDonald's awesome "Professor of Logic" joke.
__________________
Ben is sick ladies and gentlemen, thats right, Ben is sick.
DuvalHMFIC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:49 AM   #60
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,833
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Not the point.



This is supposed to be an exercise in logic. Conditional logic doesn't require the premise to be true. It is about whether the conclusion necessarily follows IF we assume that the premise is true.



Unfortunately, from some of the responses I have gotten, it seems that if I don't shout my "lack of belief" from the roof tops then I am guilty of heresy.
You only have to have a passing familiarity with Christian theology to know that they have a huge unresolved problem with reconciling the descent of man/original sin with their other claims, they've been trying to solve the problem for over 2000 years (add in the Jewish roots of their beliefs and it is probably more like 3000 years), with some of the best minds humanity has ever produced tackling the problem and there is no simple "logical" answer.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 09:49 AM   #61
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,833
Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
All of this talk of logic has reminded me of Norm MacDonald's awesome "Professor of Logic" joke.
Stop keeping an idiot in suspense and spill the beans!
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:04 AM   #62
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You only have to have a passing familiarity with Christian theology to know that they have a huge unresolved problem with reconciling the descent of man/original sin with their other claims, they've been trying to solve the problem for over 2000 years (add in the Jewish roots of their beliefs and it is probably more like 3000 years), with some of the best minds humanity has ever produced tackling the problem and there is no simple "logical" answer.
You are trying to extend this to issues I am not discussing. If we can't even get past the question of whether untested free will is still free will then we will never be able to have a sensible discussion about other issues.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:08 AM   #63
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,234
Sometime in the 18th Century
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 02:49 PM   #64
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster
 
DuvalHMFIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,490
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Stop keeping an idiot in suspense and spill the beans!
https://youtu.be/Oseqh7SMIvo
__________________
Ben is sick ladies and gentlemen, thats right, Ben is sick.
DuvalHMFIC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:04 PM   #65
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,877
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
They weren't vegetables. They still had the ability to make a choice. They were given the warning that if they ate the fruit then they would "surely die". They didn't have to know that it was good or evil to reject that warning to exercise a choice.
And how were they to know that Satan was lying to them?

Two naive children up against the second smartest guy in the Universe?
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick

Last edited by Gord_in_Toronto; 1st January 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 07:24 PM   #66
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,833
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
You are trying to extend this to issues I am not discussing. If we can't even get past the question of whether untested free will is still free will then we will never be able to have a sensible discussion about other issues.


That is not extending the issue, it is a central issue for that faith one that despite your opinon that it is answered with simple logic has not been answered by that faith or others who have considered the implications of that central christian belief.

My comment was initially made as a counterpoint to demonstrate how one rather well known and extensive religion cannot square its own contradictory doctrine. I think it is rather a good example of how silly a religion can be.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 08:15 PM   #67
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 5,893
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Not the point.

This is supposed to be an exercise in logic. Conditional logic doesn't require the premise to be true. It is about whether the conclusion necessarily follows IF we assume that the premise is true.

Unfortunately, from some of the responses I have gotten, it seems that if I don't shout my "lack of belief" from the roof tops then I am guilty of heresy.
What an extraordinary claim. Can you give us examples thereof?

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You only have to have a passing familiarity with Christian theology to know that they have a huge unresolved problem with reconciling the descent of man/original sin with their other claims, they've been trying to solve the problem for over 2000 years (add in the Jewish roots of their beliefs and it is probably more like 3000 years), with some of the best minds humanity has ever produced tackling the problem and there is no simple "logical" answer.
The problem becomes magnified when you have acknowledgement of the truth of evolution by the religious (albeit with reluctance), and try to lever in the original sin idea non the less. We must have original sin because the whole idea of Jesus dying on the cross to cleanse us (an extraordinarily silly idea on its own), falls over without it.

If you google Catholic Answers and ask questions about this you get the most extraordinary babble and evasiveness.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:15 PM   #68
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 13,483
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
This is supposed to be an exercise in logic. Conditional logic doesn't require the premise to be true. It is about whether the conclusion necessarily follows IF we assume that the premise is true.
Err, what?

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Indeed!
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 11:58 PM   #69
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is not extending the issue, it is a central issue for that faith one that despite your opinon that it is answered with simple logic has not been answered by that faith or others who have considered the implications of that central christian belief.

My comment was initially made as a counterpoint to demonstrate how one rather well known and extensive religion cannot square its own contradictory doctrine. I think it is rather a good example of how silly a religion can be.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You only have to have a passing familiarity with Christian theology to know that they have a huge unresolved problem with reconciling the descent of man/original sin with their other claims, . . .
Nothing to see here folks. The subject hasn't been changed.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:00 AM   #70
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Err, what?
Logical people know what I am saying.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:49 AM   #71
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,676
There was a discussion a while back where I suggested that the ability to make completely uninformed choices is a meaningless version of free will. IE if someone is given the blind choice of opening one of several doors to leave a room by, it would be shockingly unfair to blame or credit them for whatever one they picked.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:59 AM   #72
The Greater Fool
Illuminator
 
The Greater Fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,138
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
And how were they to know that Satan was lying to them?

Two naive children up against the second smartest guy in the Universe?
In point of fact Satan did not lie to them.

Satan said that if they ate of the fruit they would become like god knowing good and bad. They ate of the fruit and gained the knowledge promised. Some short time later they learned to be cautious consuming certain hallucinogenic mushrooms.
__________________
- "Who is the greater fool? The fool? Or the one arguing with the fool?" [Various; Uknown]
- "The only way to win is not to play." [Tsig quoting 'War Games']
The Greater Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:09 AM   #73
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,041
Satan wasn't even there. The serpent in the Garden of Eden is never identified as Satan in the Bible. It wasn't until theological fan-fiction became all the rage in the late Middle Ages, early Modern Era that a bunch of random, disparate characters in the Bible all got lumped together to create a Moriarty for God's Holmes.

Satan, the Devil, Lucifer (who isn't even a character but a vague allegorical bit of symbolism), and the being that's going to go all medieval on our asses in Revelation along with various words in ancient languages that roughly translate to "advisory," the serpent in the Garden of Eden... these all either don't exist or are obviously different people in the Bible. There's far more Dante, Milton, Faust, and Blake dressed up in a lot of co-opted Pagan imagery in the modern idea of Satan then anything in the Bible.

Only the being that conspires with God to screw with Job and the being that tempts Jesus in the desert really present as a coherent character, and then he doesn't really come across as God's all powerful arch-nemesis but a snarky underling God has put in charge of internal affairs and quality control.

Everything else reads like what it was, taking a bunch of one off villains and retconning them into an over-arching Big Bad.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:19 AM   #74
Shepherd
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 324
The serpent, Devil, dragon and Satan were all lumped together in the book of Revelation:

Quote:
Revelation 12:9 King James Version (KJV)

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...A9&version=KJV
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:20 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,833
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Nothing to see here folks. The subject hasn't been changed.


The subject is the silliness of religion, one example of that is the issue 3 major religions have with the “problem of evil”. You seemed to think that was solved by quick and simple logic, indeed if that was the case and the 3 major religions had missed your simple solution for hundreds of years it would be a very good example of religions’ silliness.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:26 AM   #76
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 89,833
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Satan wasn't even there. The serpent in the Garden of Eden is never identified as Satan in the Bible. It wasn't until theological fan-fiction became all the rage in the late Middle Ages, early Modern Era that a bunch of random, disparate characters in the Bible all got lumped together to create a Moriarty for God's Holmes.

Satan, the Devil, Lucifer (who isn't even a character but a vague allegorical bit of symbolism), and the being that's going to go all medieval on our asses in Revelation along with various words in ancient languages that roughly translate to "advisory," the serpent in the Garden of Eden... these all either don't exist or are obviously different people in the Bible. There's far more Dante, Milton, Faust, and Blake dressed up in a lot of co-opted Pagan imagery in the modern idea of Satan then anything in the Bible.

Only the being that conspires with God to screw with Job and the being that tempts Jesus in the desert really present as a coherent character, and then he doesn't really come across as God's all powerful arch-nemesis but a snarky underling God has put in charge of internal affairs and quality control.

Everything else reads like what it was, taking a bunch of one off villains and retconning them into an over-arching Big Bad.


The devil as we “know” today was indeed a creation of the Christian church in the “dark ages” and is not biblical in origins. It was created because the church couldn’t provide an answer to why if their god was all powerful, all knowing and even sacrificed himself for everyone’s sins there was still evil in the world. Now obviously with a bit of further thought you soon realise it doesn’t provide an actual answer to the problem of evil, but it worked as a handy bit of sticky plaster.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:29 AM   #77
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,041
Yeah the whole idea that God somehow has a vastly less powerful less powerful arch nemesis is rather absurd.

Satan as a concept is just trying to solve the Problem of Evil by putting a face on it which doesn't make any kind of sense. Either God cannot stop Satan or doesn't, same that as evil.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:02 AM   #78
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,097
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The only reason we don't view the abrahamic religions as equally silly as all the other religions is simply familiarity.
This, in many respects they are more silly on account of claiming an all powerful god. It is profoundly silly to look at the world and say, "God is can do anything and loves us deeply but stuck us in this ****, oh and if you don't believe for the at most 100ish years you live on earth, well then you're going to suffer for eternity."

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Of course, even to engage in this discussion one must first dismiss as trivial the social aspects of religion, the labor-forming effects of collaboration, and all the other evolutionary advantages it brought the species.
This, its essentially the consequentialist argument for religion, sure it may be all wrong but believing will offer you and your society advantages now.

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
One way out of the Christian conundrum is the notion of a finite god, that is, a god who can't do everything. Maybe even a god who could use our help!

Of course, the idea isn't supported by scripture, which seems to go for making god bigger and even more infinite* all the time. So it would surely be rejected by all abrahamic believers, not just christians.
There are versions of this in the old testament. Its pretty clear that prior to the the babylonian exile, the god of the old testament was a very finite god who presided over a few tribes in a small coastal area of the levant, where he was really just one of many such gods. Its only later that he became the one and only all powerful being.
Quote:
And yet, the religions of auld lang syne appear to have featured nothing but finite deities, specialized gods who obviously couldn't all, or any of them, be infinite in power. And people were content with that, and muddled along happily (or not) in crowded polytheism, while exercising considerable tolerance toward other's choice of cult.
Yep, this much less silly really. Sure, its pretty silly to think the king of the gods routinely disguised himself as an animal or the rain in order to rape mortal women who his wife would later torment out of jealously but it still makes more sense than the all powerful all loving god of the Christians who's so petty he'll torture you for eternity for not loving him enough.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:14 AM   #79
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 15,726
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The subject is the silliness of religion, one example of that is the issue 3 major religions have with the “problem of evil”. You seemed to think that was solved by quick and simple logic, indeed if that was the case and the 3 major religions had missed your simple solution for hundreds of years it would be a very good example of religions’ silliness.
Now you are just strawmanning me.

My only point was whether the Garden of Eden story illustrates the theory in the Logical Problem of Evil. It would take a massive overimagination to say that I was positing that as the solution to all of the religious silliness.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:24 AM   #80
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 30,286
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
This is supposed to be an exercise in logic.
What is? The thread? It seems to me that the question in the OP relates not to the question of whether religion is logically consistent, which your discussion of the problem of evil relates to, but to that of whether the actual content of religion is something a reasonable person would accept.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.