ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2020, 03:12 PM   #121
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
To concede that something may be possible is essentially the same as saying something may be impossible you don't know if it is impossible.
ftfy

“May be” isn’t equivalent to “Don’t know”. If you don’t know then you don’t know that it may be.

“May be possible” is equivalent to “May be impossible”.
“Don’t know if possible’ is equivalent to “Don’t know if impossible”

I don't need to say it at all. This thread is just an amusing look at some silly religious ideas that I find interesting.

Let's not get too serious about it.
The reason I’m “serious about it” is because truth is important to me and I respect and value your intellectual honesty and critical thinking (you’re worth the effort). You may be in holiday mode and rather have a beer .

Unless you or anyone wants to continue I will leave it at this . . .
  • Does a jar contain an odd or even number of jellybeans?
  • If the number IS odd, then it CAN’T be even, and vise versa.
  • Not knowing which IS the case doesn’t change the fact of what the case IS.
  • If it IS odd, then saying “It possibly could/may be even” IS wrong.
  • “I don’t know” IS the only intellectually honest and correct answer.
At least we know jars and jellybeans actually exist, we can’t even say that about gods .

Last edited by ynot; 8th January 2020 at 03:35 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 06:23 PM   #122
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Speak for yourself, I counted 393 Zeuses in my jar of peanut butter.

It's odd.
Old 8th January 2020, 06:55 PM   #123
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
“May be possible” is equivalent to “May be impossible”.
“Don’t know if possible’ is equivalent to “Don’t know if impossible”
What? No it isn't.

If the initial assumption is that it is possible, then you say "well, it may be impossible." If the initial assumption is that it is impossible, then you say "well, it may be possible." The emphasis is completely different. They're not equivalent statements, and are used in different contexts.

Thor2 was speaking under the initial assumption that it is impossible, though you don't know that for certain. Therefore he said that it may be possible.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 07:17 PM   #124
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Speak for yourself, I counted 393 Zeuses in my jar of peanut butter.

It's odd.
Prove "Zeuses" even exist

Besides, if you counted, then you know.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 07:20 PM   #125
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Prove "Zeuses" even exist

Besides, if you counted, then you know.
I'd like you to talk to my friends Jif and Peter Pan, thank you very much!
Old 8th January 2020, 07:22 PM   #126
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
What? No it isn't.

If the initial assumption is that it is possible, then you say "well, it may be impossible." If the initial assumption is that it is impossible, then you say "well, it may be possible." The emphasis is completely different. They're not equivalent statements, and are used in different contexts.

Thor2 was speaking under the initial assumption that it is impossible, though you don't know that for certain. Therefore he said that it may be possible.
That you shouldn't (can't logically) start with any assumption is the very point I'm making.
Old 8th January 2020, 07:23 PM   #127
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
I'd like you to talk to my friends Jif and Peter Pan, thank you very much!
Well if you're gonna bring in experts then I give up.
Old 8th January 2020, 07:33 PM   #128
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That you shouldn't (can't logically) start with any assumption is the very point I'm making.
You can't avoid starting with an assumption. That's what Bayesian probability is all about.

Take the following premise: "Green cats exist". But you don't know for sure whether they do or not. Are you going to say "Green cats might exist" or "Green cats might not exist. The former implies that they probably don't. The latter implies that they probably do.

We're dealing with possibilities, not certainties, which throws a big wrench into formal logic.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 07:44 PM   #129
ynot
Philosopher

You can't avoid starting with an assumption. That's what Bayesian probability is all about.
Oh, here we go . . .

Take the following premise: "Green cats exist". But you don't know for sure whether they do or not. Are you going to say "Green cats might exist" or "Green cats might not exist. The former implies that they probably don't. The latter implies that they probably do.
I'm simply and intellectually honestly going to say "I don't know if green cats exist naturally, but I do know green cats could exist by dying white cats green".

We're dealing with possibilities, not certainties, which throws a big wrench into formal logic.
I'm dealing with what IS true, and more specifically whether you can know it's true without sufficient evidence, not what might possibly be true.

Last edited by ynot; 8th January 2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 8th January 2020, 07:51 PM   #130
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm simply and intellectually honestly going to say "I don't know if green cats exist naturally, but I do know white cats could be dyed green".
That's a different, and equally valid, answer. It takes a fair bit of intellectual courage to just say "I don't know" to something. Most people would tend to come down on one side or another.

I'm dealing with what IS true, and more specifically whether you can know it's true without sufficient evidence, not what might possibly be true.
This is also what I am saying. If you know that green cats exist without sufficient evidence, then rather than saying "green cats exist" you say "green cats probably exist, but I do not have sufficient evidence to be certain."

But we're getting rather off-track here, which was totally unexpected and not at all what always happens.

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th January 2020, 07:55 PM   #131
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's a different, and equally valid, answer. It takes a fair bit of intellectual courage to just say "I don't know" to something. Most people would tend to come down on one side or another.
These are things you know to a certainty? If so, how do you know?

If not, do you have the courage to say so?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2020, 08:01 PM   #132
ynot
Philosopher

That's a different, and equally valid, answer. It takes a fair bit of intellectual courage to just say "I don't know" to something.
I would rather say it takes courage to be intellectually honest. You should try saying "I don't know" sometimes, it's really not scary at all.

Most people would tend to come down on one side or another.
And "most" would be silly and wrong to do so. Theists are an obvious example of such people.

That's a different, and equally valid, answer.
It's the ONLY valid answer I know of.

Green cats either do or don't exist (there's no third option). If they don't exist then it's not valid or correct to say they probably might exist. If they do exist then it's not valid or correct to say they probably might not exist.

Last edited by ynot; 8th January 2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 8th January 2020, 08:27 PM   #133
ynot
Philosopher

This is also what I am saying. If you know that green cats exist without sufficient evidence, then rather than saying "green cats exist" you say "green cats probably exist, but I do not have sufficient evidence to be certain."
No it's not! There's your problem (bet you can't see it).
Old 8th January 2020, 08:59 PM   #134
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

• Does a jar contain an odd or even number of jellybeans?
  • If the number IS odd, then it CAN’T be even, and vise versa.
  • Not knowing which IS the case doesn’t change the fact of what the case IS.
  • If it IS odd, then saying “It possibly could/may be even” IS wrong.
  • “I don’t know” IS the only intellectually honest and correct answer.
LOL another professor of logic appears.

If you don't know if a statement is true or false then it is possible that the statement is true and it is possible that the statement is false. I don't understand why anybody would call the use of "possible" intellectually dishonest.

Congratulations. You are the first person to have proven an negative.
Old 8th January 2020, 10:05 PM   #135
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I would rather say it takes courage to be intellectually honest. You should try saying "I don't know" sometimes, it's really not scary at all.
I say it all the time.

And "most" would be silly and wrong to do so. Theists are an obvious example of such people.
Most people don't communicate in formal logic.

It's the ONLY valid answer I know of.
There are dozens of valid answers, from simple rephrasings of the basic statement to elaborations, complications, and answers that include unnecessary digressions. This is how humans communicate.

Green cats either do or don't exist (there's no third option). If they don't exist then it's not valid or correct to say they probably might exist. If they do exist then it's not valid or correct to say they probably might not exist.
That's correct. Those options would be logically inconsistent (and what does "probably might exist" even mean anyway?). But if you're not certain if they exist, then it may be valid or correct to say that they probably don't exist.

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th January 2020, 11:05 PM   #136
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
LOL another professor of logic appears.

If you don't know if a statement is true or false then it is possible that the statement is true and it is possible that the statement is false. I don't understand why anybody would call the use of "possible" intellectually dishonest.

Congratulations. You are the first person to have proven an negative.
I was wondering if the "professor of LOL” would turn up. Well that’s all a fine strawman.

We are debating the validity/correctness of answers to questions, not statements. Are gods real? Are we the product of some kind of celestial intelligence - some kind if experiment in a test tube perhaps? Are cats green? etc. These questions are about what IS true or false, not what might be.

I don’t call the use of "possible" intellectually dishonest or invalid in answer to all questions as Mr Strawman suggests. In answer to “Will it rain tomorrow?” there’s nothing intellectually dishonest or invalid in answering “It possibly will (or won’t)”, as the fact of it raining tomorrow or not hasn’t as yet been established as a fact. More intellectually honest and valid of course to simply say “I don’t know”.

Totally different question from “Did it rain yesterday?”. If it did rain yesterday then the fact has been established. If it did rain yesterday then there’s absolutely no possibility that it didn’t.

Things are either true or false regardless of whether we know they are. It was true that dinosaurs once lived long before we gained knowledge it was/is true. Knowledge is the reward of discovering truth, not the creator of it.

Last edited by ynot; 9th January 2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 8th January 2020, 11:11 PM   #137
ynot
Philosopher

I say it all the time.
No you don't!

Most people don't communicate in formal logic.
I'm not claiming my words are formal logic.

There are dozens of valid answers, from simple rephrasings of the basic statement to elaborations, complications, and answers that include unnecessary digressions. This is how humans communicate.
Not all humans.

That's correct. Those options would be logically inconsistent (and what does "probably might exist" even mean anyway?). But if you're not certain if they exist, then it may be valid or correct to say that they probably don't exist.
Proof you don't say "I don't know" "all the time" .
Old 8th January 2020, 11:41 PM   #138
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No you don't!
Okay, oh expert in my behaviour.

I'm not claiming my words are formal logic.
No, but you're acting like it.

Not all humans.
You, for example.

Proof you don't say "I don't know" "all the time" .

- Randall Munroe
Old 8th January 2020, 11:56 PM   #139
ynot
Philosopher

Okay, I’ll give you a “proper” answer . . .

If you claim it’s valid and correct to say either “They probably don't exist” or “They probably do exist”, then you have two conflicting valid and correct answers. Cognitive dissonance much!
Old 9th January 2020, 12:03 AM   #140
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Okay, I’ll give you a “proper” answer . . .

If you claim it’s valid and correct to say either “They probably don't exist” or “They probably do exist”, then you have two conflicting valid and correct answers. Cognitive dissonance much!
You obviously wouldn't say both at the same time. Either you think they probably don't exist, or you think that they probably do exist.

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th January 2020, 12:25 AM   #141
ynot
Philosopher

You obviously wouldn't say both at the same time. Either you think they probably don't exist, or you think that they probably do exist.
In what way can what you merely think be valid and correct when a person that thinks the opposite can also be equally valid and correct?

You didn't respond to this previous "problem" . . .
If you know that green cats exist without sufficient evidence
How CAN you know that green cats exist without sufficient evidence that they do?

Last edited by ynot; 9th January 2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:33 AM   #142
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In what way can what you merely think be valid and correct when a person that thinks the opposite can also be equally valid and correct?
Why are you assuming that they're both talking about the same thing?

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th January 2020, 12:41 AM   #143
ynot
Philosopher

Why are you assuming that they're both talking about the same thing?
You are presenting an argument in which they both could be talking about the same thing, so what's wrong with assuming they are? Are you saying they can't be talking about the same thing?

Last edited by ynot; 9th January 2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:50 AM   #144
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If you claim it’s valid and correct to say either “They probably don't exist” or “They probably do exist”, then you have two conflicting valid and correct answers.
These are not conflicting answers unless your definition of "probably" means "greater than even chance".
Old 9th January 2020, 01:13 AM   #145
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
These are not conflicting answers unless your definition of "probably" means "greater than even chance".
What's a definition of "probably" that makes them not conflicting answers?
Old 9th January 2020, 08:36 AM   #146
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

I think it’s just a quirk of English that people don’t say something more like “I guess that’s improbably possible” instead of “I guess that’s probably possible.” Most of the time colloquially ’probably’ used like that indicates you’re not trying to shut down the other guy’s position, out of conversational politics, rather than indicating you think it’s actually more probable than improbable. Like “could be, could be...”
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 08:39 AM   #147
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ahhh yes... the weeds. And now we shall enter them.

The argument will now be a constant, self feeding, snake eating it's own tail cluster of endless hairsplitting over intellectual probably, semantic nonsense of strong and weak beliefs, meaningless "Do you positively believe the thing exists or negatively believe the thing doesn't exist" and other such tripe.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2020, 10:14 AM   #148
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

The argument will now be a constant, self feeding, snake eating it's own tail cluster of endless hairsplitting over intellectual probably, semantic nonsense of strong and weak beliefs, meaningless "Do you positively believe the thing exists or negatively believe the thing doesn't exist" and other such tripe.
Not but probably not not it will happen.
Old 9th January 2020, 11:58 AM   #149
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
I think it’s just a quirk of English that people don’t say something more like “I guess that’s improbably possible” instead of “I guess that’s probably possible.” Most of the time colloquially ’probably’ used like that indicates you’re not trying to shut down the other guy’s position, out of conversational politics, rather than indicating you think it’s actually more probable than improbable. Like “could be, could be...”
Is that meant to be a serious attempt at answering the question?
Old 9th January 2020, 12:40 PM   #150
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

You seem to be off with the fairies yet again.

Just because the topic is about the silliness of religion, doesn't mean you can shoot off in all kinds of silly directions with the subject matter.
On the contrary, it is the heart of the matter. You asserted that religion 'becomes just silly' when it includes the notion of a caring god who takes great interest in our activities (implying that it is not otherwise just silly).

But if many other notions are also silly then why single out religion?

Quote:
The effectiveness of religion as a "force for good", has been argued in other threads.
And it's relevant to this thread too, because you cannot dismiss an activity as 'just silly' if it is beneficial.
Old 9th January 2020, 07:26 PM   #151
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You are presenting an argument in which they both could be talking about the same thing, so what's wrong with assuming they are? Are you saying they can't be talking about the same thing?
But both talking about the same thing is, as you point out, a contradiction. So while it's possible that they're talking about the same thing, it's more likely that I was simply describing two different ways of saying something. The subject is unspecified. Okay, how about this.

Do green cats exist?

I think that they probably don't exist.

Do deaf tortoiseshell cats exist?

I think that they probably do exist.

The first is unlikely - who's ever seen a green cat anyway? (psst) So you frame your statement such that you're affirming the negative, even though you don't have proof either way.

The second is likely - it certainly isn't beyond the realms of possibility. So you frame your statement such that you're affirming the positive, even though you don't have proof either way.

Thus, the statements "it probably exists" and "it probably doesn't exist" are not logically equivalent. QED.

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th January 2020, 07:47 PM   #152
ynot
Philosopher

The first is unlikely - who's ever seen a green cat anyway? (psst) So you frame your statement such that you're affirming the negative, even though you don't have proof either way.
Oh really? - GREEN CATS! - Mega fail!

Last edited by ynot; 9th January 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 9th January 2020, 08:13 PM   #153
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Oh really? - GREEN CATS! - Mega fail!
Yeah. That's almost all the same one I linked to in my own post. Didn't you see it?

The story is actually that the cat was dyed green in an accident with an industrial colouring agent. It's not naturally green. But it's my go-to in discussions about proving a negative so I thought I'd rope it in here.

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th January 2020, 09:07 PM   #154
ynot
Philosopher

Yeah. That's almost all the same one I linked to in my own post. Didn't you see it?

The story is actually that the cat was dyed green in an accident with an industrial colouring agent. It's not naturally green. But it's my go-to in discussions about proving a negative so I thought I'd rope it in here.
There’s no “naturally” in your go-to question “Do green cats exist?“.

You need to be more precise if you want people to take you and your question seriously.

Last edited by ynot; 9th January 2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 9th January 2020, 09:18 PM   #155
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There’s no “naturally” in your go-to question “Do green cats exist?“.

You need to be more precise if you want people to take you and your question seriously.
Yes, that's true, I did gloss over that aspect of the argument. I didn't feel it was necessary to specify, but if I wanted to be precise, I should have.

- Randall Munroe
Old 9th January 2020, 10:39 PM   #156
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

When Does Religion Become Just Silly?

First three words: "In the beginning".
Old 9th January 2020, 10:44 PM   #157
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Yes, that's already been established, thanks.

- Randall Munroe
Old 10th January 2020, 07:09 AM   #158
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But both talking about the same thing is, as you point out, a contradiction. So while it's possible that they're talking about the same thing, it's more likely that I was simply describing two different ways of saying something. The subject is unspecified. Okay, how about this.

Do green cats exist?

The second is likely - it certainly isn't beyond the realms of possibility. So you frame your statement such that you're affirming the positive, even though you don't have proof either way.

Thus, the statements "it probably exists" and "it probably doesn't exist" are not logically equivalent. QED.
They do exist.

BBC News - Glowing cats shed light on Aids
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14882008
Old 10th January 2020, 07:09 AM   #159
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Based on another thread here, you could also say First ten words: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."
Old 10th January 2020, 07:28 AM   #160
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Do green cats exist?

I rest my case.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy