ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Should Harry and Meghan abdicate?
Yes, stripped of titles including HRH and public funding/protection 9 25.71%
Yes but keeping titles incl HRH, public funding, protection and Frogmore Cottage 2 5.71%
No, Harry cannot give up his British citizenship and Archie belongs to the Queen 3 8.57%
Who? 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th January 2020, 08:17 AM   #81
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh noes somebody stop him. He might break the British public's illusion that that the Royal Family is totally normal and well adjusted.

Please. Unless he's got GoPro Footage of the Queen bathing in the blood of her Corgis to stay young, I don't think any Oprah interview is going to shock anyone.
Nah it's the blood of foxes and stags.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:18 AM   #82
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
We will do X (something you don't like) unless you (continue to) pay us lots of money. Not blackmail in your book. Okay.
This would only make sense if the British public was paying Prince Harry to continually praise the Royal Family and by "Going on Oprah" we would someone be remit in those duties.

Like Darat said, you don't own him and he doesn't owe you anything.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:19 AM   #83
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

A proposal from the palace! The queen has offered to let Harry and Meghan off the hook of royal duty...if they can defeat her and Philip on Countdown!
Old 13th January 2020, 08:20 AM   #84
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
We will do X (something you don't like) unless you (continue to) pay us lots of money. Not blackmail in your book. Okay.
Nope that does not follow from what I've posted.

You forget for it to be blackmail it actually has to exist outside the fevered imagination of some hack.

Are you looking forward to all his royal duties being carried out in the nude?
Old 13th January 2020, 08:26 AM   #85
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nope that does not follow from what I've posted.

You forget for it to be blackmail it actually has to exist outside the fevered imagination of some hack.

Are you looking forward to all his royal duties being carried out in the nude?
To be honest that would have been more appealing ten years ago. That family lives long lives but doesn't age well.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:26 AM   #86
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
A proposal from the palace! The queen has offered to let Harry and Meghan off the hook of royal duty...if they can defeat her and Philip on Countdown!
Nah it's if they can beat them on 8 out of 10 Cats do Countdown.

And let's not forget he could also threaten the royals with another It's a Royal Knockout.

Mind you he could also be threatening to release the hound of the baskervilles (aka the royal who has been locked up in a turret in Windsor for 70 years).

It's amazing all the things he could be threatening to do if he doesn't get his way!

Wonder which rag I can get to pay me for all these "he could"s?
Old 13th January 2020, 08:30 AM   #87
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Nah it's if they can beat them on 8 out of 10 Cats do Countdown.
The queen would nobble Harry by putting him with Roisin, while taking Sean as her own partner.

Btw why is Jon Richardson so hot? On paper he certainly shouldn't be. And yet he is madly sexy! I'd pick him over Fabio any day.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:32 AM   #88
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

To be honest that would have been more appealing ten years ago. That family lives long lives but doesn't age well.
I dunno now that William has gone bald Harry might enjoy being seen as the "hot one."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:34 AM   #89
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I dunno now that William has gone bald Harry might enjoy being seen as the "hot one."
What do you mean, "now"? Harry's been the hot one for years and years. William at his best was just pretty, not hot.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:36 AM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What do you mean, "now"? Harry's been the hot one for years and years. William at his best was just pretty, not hot.
Really? I mean my pulse was never really on the Royal Family Fandom enough to rank the Princes, but I always got the impression that William was the "Teen Idol" one until about the mid-00s.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:43 AM   #91
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't.
Oops. Sorry Cain. Should've noticed it was your post .
Old 13th January 2020, 08:54 AM   #92
ceptimus
puzzler

Harry is also rapidly balding.

ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 09:02 AM   #93
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Really? I mean my pulse was never really on the Royal Family Fandom enough to rank the Princes, but I always got the impression that William was the "Teen Idol" one until about the mid-00s.
Meh. Such polls are contaminated by teenaged girls, who are notoriously bad judges of male beauty. There is a powerful distinction between "good looking" and "attractive". William when younger would look nice on a coin. Harry when younger would look hot on one's bedroom floor.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:05 AM   #94
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Bald is beautiful!
Old 13th January 2020, 09:39 AM   #95
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I love all this royal title stuff, and ceremonies and whatnot. I think it's cool.
I do too... I think it adds a certain amount of character to a country's social and political landscape.
Quote:
I've occasionally wondered if somehow they could create a non-hereditary monarchy. Have this figurehead that gets to symbolize the nation, and lots of excuses for pomp and ceremony, but isn't stuck with this for life.
Canada sort of has that...

The Queen is still considered the Head of State for Canada, but her representative is the Governor General, who is selected by the Prime Minister at the time and serves 5 year terms. They do the same sort of functions that the Queen does in the U.K. (reading the throne speech, formally 'dissolving' parliament, etc.)

The problem though is that when you have an 'appointed' or 'elected' position (rather than hereditary) you run the risk of the position becoming political.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 09:49 AM   #96
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It's difficult to respect countries that have a monarchy (even if it's only ceremonial). King of Sweden, Queen of England, who cares? Abolish them all and find something else to gossip over.
I personally think its beneficial to a country to have a ceremonial figure as a "head of state", someone removed from the politics of the country, and for whom protocol is considered a defining feature.

For example, lets say you were an American, and you just saved a bunch of orphans from a burning building. Since the orphans happen to be white, the Trump administration decides to award you the Medal of freedom fries. You go into the ceremony knowing that the person presiding over the ceremony is someone who called neo-Nazis "fine people", and during the ceremony there is a pretty good chance that Trump will decide to go off on a racist rant. (This happened when Trump was at a ceremony to honor the WW2 "Code talkers".)

On the other hand, lets say your brother from Britain also rescued orphans from a burning building, and they decide to award him the Royal order of the Crumpet (or whatever honor they give for that sort of thing). They know that there is a higher probability of the ceremony being treated with respect, and even though they never voted for the queen, they also didn't vote against her either.

That's one example... I can think of others: greeting heads of state, doing throne speeches/state of the unions, etc.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 09:53 AM   #97
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Being a figurehead is no more stupid a job than being a spokesmodel. And as with any job, some are suited to the work and others are not, some enjoy it and others don't. As long as somebody's paying for the position to be filled it's clearly of value to somebody.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:54 AM   #98
Steve
Philosopher

Regarding security for the Harrys while in Canada, From the Globe and Mail 3 days ago.

“His Royal Highness, Prince Henry of Wales [Harry], along with members of his family, are Internationally Protected Persons (IPPs) and are entitled to the protection of the RCMP while in Canada,” said Cpl. Caroline Duval of the RCMP in a statement.
“As part of its mandate, the RCMP is responsible at all times for the safety and security of visiting members of the Royal Family while they are in Canada. Security costs for protection of visiting members of the Royal Family while in Canada are covered through the existing operational budget. For security reasons, we cannot provide a detailed breakdown of these costs. For security reasons, the RCMP does not disclose the number of police personnel assigned to work during this type of visit.”

Looks like Canada will foot the bill for security in our country unless some cost arrangement can be made with the UK.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:55 AM   #99
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Harry is ginger, which in UK attractiveness ratings places him below a Lloyd Webber and above a slug.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:58 AM   #100
Distracted1
Illuminator

It's difficult to respect countries that have a monarchy (even if it's only ceremonial). King of Sweden, Queen of England, who cares? Abolish them all and find something else to gossip over.

My brother was just saying that people are complaining about how "woke" Harry now is. He should go back to his playboy lifestyle of bangin' broads, gettin' drunk, and dressin' up as a Nazi. Y'know, havin' fun with his "mates." Stupid.
They are a tie to a nations' glorious past.
Like a statue of Robert E. Lee, or a $20 bill with Andrew Jackson on it.
Clear objects of reverence.
Old 13th January 2020, 10:06 AM   #101
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
On the other hand, lets say your brother from Britain also rescued orphans from a burning building, and they decide to award him the Royal order of the Crumpet (or whatever honor they give for that sort of thing). They know that there is a higher probability of the ceremony being treated with respect, [...]
...because Prince Philip has now retired from public life and so doesn't do this sort of gig any more.

It's not always a perfect system.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 10:17 AM   #102
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Quote:
On the other hand, lets say your brother from Britain also rescued orphans from a burning building, and they decide to award him the Royal order of the Crumpet (or whatever honor they give for that sort of thing). They know that there is a higher probability of the ceremony being treated with respect, [...]
...because Prince Philip has now retired from public life and so doesn't do this sort of gig any more.

It's not always a perfect system.
Prince Philip supposedly made >20,000 public appearances in a career that lasted over half a century. The fact that he may have made a few gaffs in that time is perhaps not that surprising.

Still a better average than Trump, who tends to say things that are somehow wrong pretty much every week.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th January 2020, 10:49 AM   #103
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Queen agrees on 'period of transition' for Harry and Meghan

Quote:
London (CNN)Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has agreed to a "period of transition" while details of a more "independent" role for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are hammered out.

After a crisis meeting of senior royals at the Queen's Sandringham estate north of London, the Queen said she had agreed that Prince Harry and Meghan could split their time between the UK and Canada but that "complex matters" would have to be resolved. The monarch said she had ordered final plans to be drawn up in the next few days.
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/uk/ro...gbr/index.html
Old 13th January 2020, 10:54 AM   #104
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That means the queen allowed Harry to recharge his crystal amulet at the Bloodwell, but if he wants more he'll have to either set up his own in Canada or come crawling back. The star lizard lifeforce is finite, and periodic channelling is vital to maintain human form. Harry thinks he can overcome the addiction through willpower but the queen well knows the hunger always wins in the end. She will set her Dalek guards around the temple perimeter to catch anyone sneaking back in.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:08 AM   #105
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Prince Philip supposedly made >20,000 public appearances in a career that lasted over half a century. The fact that he may have made a few gaffs in that time is perhaps not that surprising.

Still a better average than Trump, who tends to say things that are somehow wrong pretty much every week.
Prince Philip was born into a centuries-old establishment that produced severe social expectations of behavior and presentation, and applied mandatory education and training fulfill that expectation.

Americans pretty forcefully rejected that establishment and its expectations. As a result, even its leading figures commonly seem crass and boorish to their more refined and constrained cousins across the pond.

Of course Philip has been less gaffe-prone than Trump. That quality, in Prince Philip, is pretty much the one thing that justifies his existence. Being less gaffe-prone than literally anyone else in the world is kind of the point of Prince Philip. Not giving a **** about that sort of thing is kind of the point of being American.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 11:47 AM   #106
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The French had the right idea on how to deal with obsolete royalty.
You mean kill them, then kill people who don't want to kill them, then give the country to a military dictator for a while, then, when he's gone, invite someone else to be king?
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:25 PM   #107
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
You mean kill them, then kill people who don't want to kill them, then give the country to a military dictator for a while, then, when he's gone, invite someone else to be king?
It's a bumpy ride, but you don't have the French wringing their hands about these kinds of pointless scandals in 2020.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:38 PM   #108
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The French had the right idea on how to deal with obsolete royalty.
Jesus Christ that's a lot of vicious and violent hate for royalty.

The French idea was murderous, horrific, inhumane, and all around awful.

You want to see a good idea for how to deal with obsolete royalty? Look at the UK. Look at the British commonwealth. Those people knew how to do it right.

Your idea of running around murdering people whose privilege you dislike is so wrong as to be monstrous. Would you like to reset and try again?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:39 PM   #109
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a bumpy ride, but you don't have the French wringing their hands about these kinds of pointless scandals in 2020.
You also don't have me wringing my hands about my obnoxious mother in law at Christmas. Because I cut off her head years ago. Problem solved! (Mrs. ThePrestige doesn't like it, but she knows better than to complain.)
Old 13th January 2020, 12:40 PM   #110
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The bad news is that Edward is going to make it!

The dread spector of "It's a Royal Knockout" haunts the palace again.....

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 12:56 PM   #111
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

You want to see a good idea for how to deal with obsolete royalty? Look at the UK. Look at the British commonwealth. Those people knew how to do it right.

Your idea of running around murdering people whose privilege you dislike is so wrong as to be monstrous. Would you like to reset and try again?
Madame Guillotine is hungry, prestige. Don't be so greedy!
Old 13th January 2020, 01:00 PM   #112
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Madame Guillotine is hungry, prestige. Don't be so greedy!
What exactly is your problem with royalty, that killing them seems like the best solution to you?
Old 13th January 2020, 01:33 PM   #113
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

What exactly is your problem with royalty, that killing them seems like the best solution to you?
This was all largely a joke.

I do think it is ridiculous for a nation of free citizens to pay such reverence to such a regressive institution. It's pathetic.

There was a time when killing absolute monarchs was a moral answer. Nowadays they should just be taxed into oblivion like all other rich layabouts.
Old 13th January 2020, 01:49 PM   #114
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I guess royalty jokes are a sensitive subject.

There's no need to lose your head about...uhh ... never mind.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:31 PM   #115
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A look at how the major British tabloids have treated Meghan Markle as compared to Kate Middleton.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tm_source=digg
Old 13th January 2020, 02:38 PM   #116
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Big Phil' rocks man.

Easily my favourite royal.

98 Prince Philip gaffes, for his 98th birthday

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jok...8-years-500658

Quote:
“If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes,” he remarked to 21-year-old British student Simon Kerby during a visit to China in 1986.

“I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family," he said in 1967 when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

“You can't have been here that long, you haven't got a pot belly,” said to a British tourist in Budapest , Hungary in 1993.

"You managed not to get eaten then?“ he asked a British backpacker who trekked through Papua New Guinea in 1998.

“We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves,” he said about a trip to Canada in 1976......
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:43 PM   #117
Elagabalus
Philosopher

A look at how the major British tabloids have treated Meghan Markle as compared to Kate Middleton.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tm_source=digg
I'm more concerned about Tamara Ecclestone. How did she fall off the British Tabloid radar?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 02:47 PM   #118
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I'm more concerned about Tamara Ecclestone. How did she fall off the British Tabloid radar?
She's on the cover of one of the US ones. Got burgled, or something.
Old 13th January 2020, 02:48 PM   #119
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I do think it is ridiculous for a nation of free citizens to pay such reverence to such a regressive institution. It's pathetic.
Please explain what you imagine "pay such reverence" actually means.

I am Canadian, and I think having a monarch as ceremonial head of state is a good thing because it removes the political nature from the position.

But I do not believe that the position of the monarch is ordained by god. I do not think they are above the law. I do not let it affect my day-to-day activities. I never tune in to royal weddings or the queen's address. So does that count as 'reverence'?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th January 2020, 04:24 PM   #120
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Harry is ginger, which in UK attractiveness ratings places him below a Lloyd Webber and above a slug.
Fishing for compliments?

OK. There is nothing wrong with being ginger.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events