ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2020, 10:51 AM   #1
dann
Philosopher

New Ad Upsets Nazis

A new video from the Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) has upset white supremacists:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

SAS removed ad from the internet after criticism: Suspects coordinated attack (DR.dk, Feb. 12, 2020)

I think the SAS ad is quite good, but I also liked the Gillette ad.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:03 AM   #2
carlitos
"más divertido"

Good ad. Very Scandinavian.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:10 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's no evidence that the ad upset Nazis.

There's no evidence that the ad upset white supremacists.

There is evidence that the ad upset Scandinavians, but although Scandinavians are often white, that is not the same as being a white supremacist.

Why do you assume that only a Nazi could dislike that ad?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Good ad. Very Scandinavian.
I have no idea if it's very Scandinavian, but it's stupid. The fact that something originates somewhere else doesn't mean it can't be yours. For example, KFC for Christmas is very Japanese. Yeah, KFC comes from the US, but the Japanese still made KFC for Christmas theirs.

It's one thing to be open to accepting contributions and people from other cultures, but it's foolishness to try to dissolve your own identity. That project will never end well.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:33 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I have no idea if it's very Scandinavian, but it's stupid. The fact that something originates somewhere else doesn't mean it can't be yours. For example, KFC for Christmas is very Japanese. Yeah, KFC comes from the US, but the Japanese still made KFC for Christmas theirs.

It's one thing to be open to accepting contributions and people from other cultures, but it's foolishness to try to dissolve your own identity. That project will never end well.
Maybe it's appealing to Scandinavians? Kind of a peaceful form of viking? "We don't have culture of our own, we just fly to other lands and experience their cultures."

Though, the backlash seems to have been so strong that SAS can't even keep the ad up. So maybe it doesn't appeal to Scandinavians anymore than it appeals to anyone else.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:35 AM   #6
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It did not appear to me that that was what they did, though. They identified the Scandinavian talent for absorbing things and making them Scandinavian, mocking the idea that the origin is the most important thing. I have no idea who was actually offended, but I'm guessing the most likely candidates would be people who decry assimilation.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:38 AM   #7
dann
Philosopher

Who's trying to 'dissolve their own identity'?! SAS??!
Not really. They are telling people that they should be more open to traveling abroad and thus to buying SAS airplane tickets.

I guess the Japanese will stay healthy if they only have KFC for Christmas.
Danes would be healthier if they restricted their consumption of danish to Christmas, too.
By the way, we recognize where we got it from. The Danish word for danish is wienerbrød, pastry from Vienna, so the SAS ad really doesn't tell us anything about this that we aren't already aware of.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:42 AM   #8
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Look at the comments - for instance on YouTube.

Quote:
There is evidence that the ad upset Scandinavians, but although Scandinavians are often white, that is not the same as being a white supremacist.

No, it obviously isn't the same thing: I'm Scandinavian, and I'm not at all upset. That some of the white supremacists objecting to the ad are Scandinavian is very likely.

Quote:

Why do you assume that anybody else would?
Old 12th February 2020, 11:45 AM   #9
dann
Philosopher

Though, the backlash seems to have been so strong that SAS can't even keep the ad up. So maybe it doesn't appeal to Scandinavians anymore than it appeals to anyone else.

Maybe it doesn't appeal to a very particular kind of Scandinavians. The racist kind.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:49 AM   #10
dann
Philosopher

Alt-right reactions to the ad.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:52 AM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

I have no idea if it's very Scandinavian, but it's stupid. .
Thanks for your opinion.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:53 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
LOL. No.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:04 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I am at a complete loss as to any connections to white supremacists or nazis in relation to the ad.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 12:09 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. No.
I tried. Comments are turned off.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:14 PM   #15
dann
Philosopher

News in English:

Quote:
But is this ad truly overwhelmingly getting a negative response, or is there some coordinated effort?
I do suspect that there was some sort of a coordinated “thumbs down” campaign here, because the ratio of “thumbs down” to “thumbs up” is unreal. It’s one thing if there were the same number of likes as dislikes (which would already be bad), but the ratio does suggest to me that something is going on.
The Controversial Ad That Scandinavian Airlines Pulled After A Day (One Mile at a Time, Feb. 12, 2020)
Quote:
Richard Jomshof, a lawmaker with the anti-immigrant populist party Sweden Democrats, said the video is “really devilish nonsense and self-hatred. Have always tried to fly with SAS, but never again. It’s a promise.”
In neighboring Denmark, Soeren Espersen, a senior member of the similarly populist Danish People’s Party, said the three-nation carrier was “spitting on all that is truly Norwegian, truly Swedish and truly Danish with its disgusting commercial.”
Scandinavian Airlines pulls ad after online criticism (Decisive Liberty, Feb. 12, 2020)
Old 12th February 2020, 12:16 PM   #16
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I tried. Comments are turned off.

You're right. They weren't when I watched it.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:20 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

News in English:
SAS is presenting a self-serving conspiracy theory about why the ad got such negative responses. They don't actually present any evidence to support this theory.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:21 PM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
They identified the Scandinavian talent for absorbing things and making them Scandinavian
That is now known as cultural appropriation.

Quote:
I'm guessing the most likely candidates would be people who decry assimilation.
How about those why decry cultural appropriation? Social media becomes outraged when there is social injustice.

Don't wear clothing from a different culture and call it your own and don't eat food from a different culture and call it your own. This is social justice. This is being woke.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:24 PM   #19
dann
Philosopher

SAS is presenting a self-serving conspiracy theory about why the ad got such negative responses. They don't actually present any evidence to support this theory.

Yeah, right! Ever heard of 4chan?!
Pour gasoline on the fire (DR.dk, Feb. 12, 2020)

Do you have any other stories that you would like to make up for us?

ETA: Sorry, the link contains the word "****" + "storm", so you will have to go to the site and find the article for yourselves:
Title: 'Hæld benzin på bålet': Berygtet internetforum sendte SAS-video ind i en *********
Link: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge

Last edited by dann; 12th February 2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:29 PM   #20
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
... don't eat food from a different culture and call it your own. This is social justice. This is being woke.

We always called it 'wienerbrød' - a long time before woke or even PC was invented. If the Turks would want us to call rye bread 'tyrkerbrød' from now on, I can live with that. I don't eat it much anyway.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:30 PM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

News in English:
So 2 idiots are amongst the heaps of people that were apparently upset with a dumb ad.

Fantastic.

Why is this interesting again?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 12:38 PM   #22
dann
Philosopher

"Brugere i højreradikale fora deler nu navne på PR-medarbejdere og opfordrer til chikane."

Users of ultra-right internet fora are now sharing names of PR employees and calling for harassment.

Does that sound like "2 idiots" to you?
Old 12th February 2020, 12:46 PM   #23
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Any chance of a summary for those who can’t be bothered to watch the video?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 12th February 2020 at 12:47 PM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 12:49 PM   #24
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

"Brugere i højreradikale fora deler nu navne på PR-medarbejdere og opfordrer til chikane."

Users of ultra-right internet fora are now sharing names of PR employees and calling for harassment.

Does that sound like "2 idiots" to you?
It sounds like one very small example that proves nothing.
About 10 million people live in Sweden. Can you give me the numbers of white supremacists protesting the ad as opposed to all the others?
After all - this is a skeptics board - not a wildly generalizing pull "facts" out of my nether regions board.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 12:51 PM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If it is any comfort for Scandinavians many countries could make similar ads. For example the language in the world with the most words is English. This is because many of the words are stolen from so many other languages.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:54 PM   #26
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Any chance of a summary for those who can’t be bothered to watch the video?
The video is very short, 2-3 minutes, I think. Examples have been given above. It says that many things that we tend to think of as Scandinavian derive from outside of Scandinavia, thus encouraging people to broaden their horizons by traveling.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:57 PM   #27
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
It sounds like one very small example that proves nothing.
About 10 million people live in Sweden. Can you give me the numbers of white supremacists protesting the ad as opposed to all the others?
After all - this is a skeptics board - not a wildly generalizing pull "facts" out of my nether regions board.

Yes, of course. You see, I've counted the exact number of white supremacists protesting the ad and the number of all the others as well. After all, this is a skeptics board, but sometimes it's really, really hard to believe that it is.
Old 12th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #28
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

The comments make it rather obvious. They are in Danish, of course.

Hans
Old 12th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #29
dann
Philosopher

Some of the 4chan comments are reproduced in the article in English.
Old 12th February 2020, 01:15 PM   #30
dann
Philosopher

From the four-letter-word + storm article:

Quote:
Omtalen af SAS’ video kan ikke kun findes på 4chan. Også et netmedie, der betragter sig selv om en del af den stærkt højreradikale bevægelse Alt-Right, altså det alternative højre, har delt den på sin hjemmeside. Det samme har den nordiske nazistgrupppering Den Nordiske Modstandsbevægelse, også kendt som Nordfront.
Men hvordan er det kommet så vidt, at en reklamevideo bliver brugt som propaganda af højreradikale og af nazistiske grupperinger?
I SAS-videoen bliver der stillet spørgsmål om, hvad der egentlig er skandinavisk. SAS’ konklusion er, at meget af det, vi betragter som rigtig skandinavisk faktisk stammer fra andre steder i verden.

My translation:
The SAS video is mentioned in other places besides 4chan. A web media that considers itself to be a part of the very right-wing extremist movement, Alt-Right ... has shared it on its website. So has the Nordic Nazi group The Nordic Resistance Movement, also known as Nordfront.
But how did it come to this, that an advertisement video is used as propaganda by right-wing extremists and by Nazi groups?
The SAS video asks questions about what is actually Scandinavian. SAS concludes that much of what we consider to be genuinely Scandinavian actually comes from abroad.
Old 12th February 2020, 01:22 PM   #31
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Yes, of course. You see, I've counted the exact number of white supremacists protesting the ad and the number of all the others as well. After all, this is a skeptics board, but sometimes it's really, really hard to believe that it is.
You made a broad generalization. Back it up.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 01:24 PM   #32
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If it is any comfort for Scandinavians many countries could make similar ads. For example the language in the world with the most words is English. This is because many of the words are stolen from so many other languages.

Scandinavians don't need to be comforted. Only Scandinavian white supremacists do. And they are obviously bothered by a black guy talking about our Viking ancestors and by a white and a brown woman embracing.
Anyway, white supremacists can't be and shouldn't be comforted. People like that hate to be reminded that numerals are Indian and Arabic:
Most Americans say ‘Arabic numerals’ should not be taught in school, finds survey (The Independent, May 17, 2019)
Too bad, the SAS video didn't include that example!
Old 12th February 2020, 01:25 PM   #33
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
You made a broad generalization. Back it up.

Yeah, right ...
Old 12th February 2020, 01:29 PM   #34
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Yeah, right ...
Inability to back up broad generalization noted.

Old 12th February 2020, 01:37 PM   #35
carlitos
"más divertido"

Dude - the OP says "nazis upset by ad." And they are. The article says that nordfront posted the ad on their site. I just read the nordfront article, and they sound upset. Google translate isn't perfect, but the article says things like "SAS has now chosen to come out with a commercial that represents an aggressive attack on the people who built up the countries in which the company is based." They also mention that the two twin girls look Jewish.
Old 12th February 2020, 01:37 PM   #36
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Yeah, right ...
Old 12th February 2020, 01:44 PM   #37
dann
Philosopher

Scandinavian Airlines pulls ‘unpatriotic’ commercial after online criticism (New York Post, Feb. 12, 2020)

Apparently, the Swedes have a parallel to the Fox 'War on Christmas', Denmark has other nationalistic idiots (and Norway has Breivik, of course):

Quote:
More seriously, every year a story of a school "banning" Lucia celebrations goes viral in Sweden, with accompanying debate about multiculturalism. The uproar is invariably the result of a misunderstanding or simply waning interest in celebrating Lucia.
Denmark has seen more than its fair share of unpleasant discussion of what and who is actually Danish or Scandinavian.
Four years ago, an advertising campaign from the right-wing, anti-immigration Danish People's Party (DF) was the talk of the nation amid criticism for everything from poor Photoshop skills to a white-washing of the Danish population.
Why pulled SAS ad has reignited tired 'What is Scandinavian?' debate (The Local, Feb. 12, 2020)
Old 12th February 2020, 01:48 PM   #38
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Yet another of your thoughtful, intelligent contributions. At least you can be consistent.
Old 12th February 2020, 01:48 PM   #39
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Dude - the OP says "nazis upset by ad." And they are. The article says that nordfront posted the ad on their site. I just read the nordfront article, and they sound upset. Google translate isn't perfect, but the article says things like "SAS has now chosen to come out with a commercial that represents an aggressive attack on the people who built up the countries in which the company is based." They also mention that the two twin girls look Jewish.

It always upsets the Nazi defenders when Nazi campaigns turn out to be supported primarily by other Nazis and hardly anybody else. The Nazi idea seems to be that if they can convince people that non-Nazis are also offended, they will feel inclined to join their ranks.

Last edited by dann; 12th February 2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12th February 2020, 02:18 PM   #40
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It always upsets the Nazi defenders when Nazi campaigns turn out to be supported primarily by other Nazis and hardly anybody else. The Nazi idea seems to be that if they can convince people that non-Nazis are also offended, they will feel inclined to join their ranks.
Since when as idiots being anti-immigration qualified them as being Nazis?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events