ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 11:09 AM   #2281
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What you don't comprehend is that the President has sources of information that are unavailable to state governors, and essentially infinite resources to respond to an emergency, unlike state governors. But Trump was claiming this would "disappear like magic" when his own experts were sounding alarms and launching flares. Even now, the federal government has the 50 states competing against each other to buy essential supplies.
That is a victory for capitalism though, core american values that. Competition is good for everyone.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:18 AM   #2282
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It comes as no surprise to me that conspiracy theorists are more likely to be conservatives than non-conservatives.
We need to find another word for "conservative." Conservatives traditionally supported responsible government and public service. Today's prominent "conservatives" have nothing in common with people who historically used that word, or even with Mitt Romney or John McCain or the elder Bush. Ronald Reagan would have been considered a leftist by today's Republican party. Trump is probably the most radical extremist ever to hold high oiffice in American history, and his acolytes are no better. "Conservative" does not apply. Maybe "anarchist?"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:21 AM   #2283
surrogate
Critical Thinker

We need to find another word for "conservative." Conservatives traditionally supported responsible government and public service. Today's prominent "conservatives" have nothing in common with people who historically used that word, or even with Mitt Romney or John McCain or the elder Bush. Ronald Reagan would have been considered a leftist by today's Republican party. Trump is probably the most radical extremist ever to hold high oiffice in American history, and his acolytes are no better. "Conservative" does not apply. Maybe "anarchist?"
I think scumbags might be a better fit.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:29 AM   #2284
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
That's something I'm sensing.

Trump is, belatedly, doing a lot. That's good. He ought to.

However, I don't think he is doing anything that a marginally competent manager wouldn't be doing.
Honestly, I'm not sure that he's even at that level. Still, that he's not focused on actively impeding efforts is such a huge improvement that it may seem that way. Even with that, though, it's probably well worth questioning how accurate the numbers are in some of the red states after Trump made it perfectly clear that he wants the numbers suppressed. Florida's numbers were a mess, too, last I heard.

More is being done, certainly, but when Trump's actual concern has remained quite clearly on short-term appearance, ratings, and trying to make himself look good... that's not even a sign of a marginally competent manager. That doesn't diminish the good things that have actually been done, of course, but... with Trump and the GOP, one of the big problems is that they keep trying to take credit for anything and everything that they think is good - even if it didn't happen and even if they were fighting hard against it two minutes before and attacking Democrats loudly, constantly, and frequently for exactly what the GOP were doing (and to a dramatically greater extent at that) while also calling for unity. They're pretty much a perfect example of people you just shouldn't trust. That's terrible, both in and of itself, and because I want to give them credit for good things that they've done enough that I've gotten burned more often than I like - which in turn makes me quite hesitant to trust them at all now. You've mentioned the boy who cried wolf before a few times - and this situation is far more akin to it than when people were crying wolf because there actually is a freakin wolf.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Good to see the Trump administration has his priorities in order:

From: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...climate-change
The Trump administration is rolling back the US government’s strongest attempt to combat the climate crisis, weakening rules which compel auto companies to produce more fuel-efficient vehicles.

It should be noted that many states (and even some auto manufacturers) are against weakening the rules.

This isn't exactly a new development. (The Trump administration has been working to undo fuel efficiency standards for a while.) But now they seem to be using the pandemic as a way to sneak their changes in and/or justify them.
They have been working on that for a while, yes, and with plenty of utterly farcical arguments like... Increasing car prices will increase cars sold!

Last edited by Aridas; 31st March 2020 at 11:33 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:34 AM   #2285
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Seeing how the vast majority of Republicans approve of Trump, maybe we need to find a new word for those Republicans who don't approve of him. Seems to me the GOP has been taken over by the right wing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:36 AM   #2286
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
>snip<

They have been working on that for a while, yes, and with plenty of utterly farcical arguments like... Increasing car prices will increase cars sold!
Don't forget that more guns will reduce gun crimes!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:47 AM   #2287
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump's impeachment had been over for months by the time the first case even hit the US.
Yeah but the first case, globally, was reported in January. So obviously they got started on the wrong foot.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:48 AM   #2288
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I watched a portion of low rated (very) Morning Psycho (Joe) this Morning in order to see what Nancy Pelosi had to say, & what moves she was planning to further hurt our Country. Actually, other than her usual complaining that I’m a terrible person, she wasn’t bad. Still praying!

With interest rates for the United States being at ZERO, this is the time to do our decades long awaited Infrastructure Bill. It should be VERY BIG & BOLD, Two Trillion Dollars, and be focused solely on jobs and rebuilding the once great infrastructure of our Country! Phase 4
Two trillion?! Why, that is certainly not enough! I say 10 trillion! And in addition to cutting interest rates to zero, cut taxes to 0!

What could go wrong?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:55 AM   #2289
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

More is being done, certainly, but when Trump's actual concern has remained quite clearly on short-term appearance, ratings, and trying to make himself look good... that's not even a sign of a marginally competent manager.
I've worked for some marginally competent managers. I'd say that's quite a bit of their focus.

"Marginally competent" might be being generous. I'm using that to mean the guys who can figure out where the meetings are, how to fill out most of the forms, and ask "Are you done yet?" a lot.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:55 AM   #2290
Aridas

Two trillion?! Why, that is certainly not enough! I say 10 trillion! And in addition to cutting interest rates to zero, cut taxes to 0!

What could go wrong?
2 trillion, to be distributed like the national stockpile of PPE. Based on Party affiliation and how much they're sucking up to Trump. Blue state that dared offer anything close to unhappiness at the way things are? Tiny fraction of amount requested. Florida? More than they asked for, and multiple further shipments.
Old 31st March 2020, 11:58 AM   #2291
Aridas

I've worked for some marginally competent managers. I'd say that's quite a bit of their focus.

"Marginally competent" might be being generous. I'm using that to mean the guys who can figure out where the meetings are, how to fill out most of the forms, and ask "Are you done yet?" a lot.
I suppose that I can concede part of that much easily enough, if that's your standard. Trump can even find and crash meetings where he's really not wanted, after all. It's harder to say how well he can fill out forms, though, given that he fairly certainly has people to do that for him and his lack of attention span.
Old 31st March 2020, 12:16 PM   #2292
Mader Levap
Muse

2 trillion, to be distributed like the national stockpile of PPE. Based on Party affiliation and how much they're sucking up to Trump. Blue state that dared offer anything close to unhappiness at the way things are? Tiny fraction of amount requested. Florida? More than they asked for, and multiple further shipments.
This kind of preferential treatment is (among other things) why I think second civil war, while distant, is inevitable. How long half of Americans will stomach living like they are under occupation of other half?
Old 31st March 2020, 12:34 PM   #2293
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Kellyanne reveals the campaign strategy.
Quote:
White House spinner Kellyanne Conway has offered a new defense of Trump that telegraphs the coming strategy. It doesn’t rest simply on the idea that Trump’s handling of coronavirus has been a decisive success, but also on the crucial idea that this crisis could not have been anticipated.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-big-lie-come/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 12:41 PM   #2294
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
This kind of preferential treatment is (among other things) why I think second civil war, while distant, is inevitable. How long half of Americans will stomach living like they are under occupation of other half?
You mean the majority ruled by the minority. Republican presidential candidates have won more votes than their Democratic rivals in only one election since 1988. Trump's not expected to get a plurality this time around.
Old 31st March 2020, 01:04 PM   #2295
Aridas

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Seeing how the vast majority of Republicans approve of Trump, maybe we need to find a new word for those Republicans who don't approve of him. Seems to me the GOP has been taken over by the right wing.
Libertarians, white supremacists, corporatists, and authoritarians have all sought to co-opt the "conservative" label, after all, with far too much success.

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Mmm. While it's distinctly possible that another civil war is inevitable (though scattered acts of terrorism is honestly much more likely), I don't put much stock in this particular association. For reference, though, a heck of a lot of Americans have been living remarkably like second or third class citizens for a long time and have been working to correct that in much more peaceful ways.
Old 31st March 2020, 01:55 PM   #2296
Elvis666
Critical Thinker

Kellyanne reveals the campaign strategy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-big-lie-come/
Have these people never even heard of the movie "Contagion"?
Old 31st March 2020, 02:35 PM   #2297
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The Terrible Turtle agrees!

It's not Trump's fault he sucked at responding to the pandemic. It's the Dems fault because they were impeaching him and he can't do two things at once. Er...wait he didn't actually ******* DO anything with regards to the impeachment other than tweet. Apparently Trump can only be bothered by a single issue at a time, and same with congress. They can't, possibly, look into multiple situations. It's one at a time. #efficient
****** I shouldn't be surprised they would rewrite history.

Yes, this needs to be investigated, like looking to see if any of these companies benefitted from Trump's actions and see which of them are his cronies or donating to his campaign.

Business Insider: The federal government outbid states on critical coronavirus supplies after Trump told governors to get their own medical equipment
Quote:
Baker, a moderate Republican, added, "I've got a feeling that if someone has the chance to sell to you and to sell to me, I am going to lose on every one of those."

Trump chuckled at that and then said the federal government probably offered the manufacturers a better price.

"Price is always a component of that also," Trump said. "And maybe that's why you lost to the feds, okay, I'll tell you, that's probably why."
WTF!!!!!

Then he blamed FEMA.
Quote:
Later on the call, after the New Mexico government made a similar complaint, Trump said he would tell FEMA to ensure state orders aren't turned down over a conflict with his administration.
I want to know which companies those were that got more money.

Pence in today's bull crap conference: "The American people are now seeing what the President saw."

Now he's listing all the supplies and ventilators the government has given out. Not one word yet about outbidding the states.

Now Trump is saying, "what would have happened if we did nothing because some people wanted to do nothing." Yes you stupid ****, that was you.

Now he's bemoaning what happens when you get off to a late start. Thank gawd we had Inslee to address the problem here as soon as it was apparent.

No one has asked about outbidding the states for supplies yet.

Trump is rewriting history again, claiming we'd have millions of deaths if it wasn't for him.

Trump is telling people to use a scarf in lieu of masks. He cut the reporter off, not sure what question she was actually asking.
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st March 2020 at 03:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 02:53 PM   #2298
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
I think scumbags might be a better fit.
How about self-servingtives?
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st March 2020 at 03:01 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 03:09 PM   #2299
Aridas

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
****** I shouldn't be surprised they would rewrite history.
Not like they've stopped working hard to do that for a long, long time. Seriously, they constantly work to rewrite the present, after all. It's the Republicans who are working to protect pre-existing condition protections, after all, and the Democrats who are trying to destroy them. So said the guy leading the Republican lawsuit to destroy those protections, after all, and a bunch of other Republicans supporting it.

Incidentally, on the topic of PPE...

Millions Of N95 Masks & PPE Are Leaving America Every Day To Foreign Buyers

And...

Hospitals to doctors and nurses: Shut up about equipment shortages or you're fired
Old 31st March 2020, 03:24 PM   #2300
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From the WA Po debunking the revised history: Why the new effort to blame coronavirus fumbles on the impeachment trial falls so far short

I quoted a little extra because lots of people don't have access to WA Po. There is a lot more in the article including a graph of the timeline.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-so-far-short/

Quote:
Trump spent a big chunk of Jan. 23 flying to Miami for a meeting of the Republican National Committee at his privately owned golf club, Trump National Doral Miami.

Over the course of February and into March, Trump repeatedly traveled to his own properties, including for multiple rounds of golf. He visited Mar-a-Lago three times, his hotel in downtown Washington once and his hotel in Las Vegas for a three-day stay in late February.
Quote:
“[A] shouting match broke out in the White House Situation Room between Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and an Office of Management and Budget official, according to three people aware of the outburst,” Amy Goldstein, Lena H. Sun and Beth Reinhard reported. “Azar had asked OMB that morning for $2 billion to buy respirator masks and other supplies for a depleted federal stockpile of emergency medical equipment. ... The $2 billion request from HHS was cut to $500 million when the White House eventually sent Congress a supplemental budget request weeks later.”

The day after his acquittal, Trump gave a lengthy address at the White House celebrating the outcome of the trial. At no point did he mention the coronavirus which, by that point, had infected 12 people in the United States.

While the trial was ongoing, attention to the virus was growing. On Jan. 26, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) called on the administration to declare a public health emergency focused on the virus. It did so five days later. Former vice president Joe Biden criticized Trump as being the “worst possible leader to deal with coronavirus outbreak” in a Jan. 27 op-ed piece in USA Today. Former Obama administration Ebola response coordinator Ronald Klain wrote a piece for the Atlantic on Jan. 30 warning Trump that the virus was coming — and worrying that Trump wasn’t ready for it.

The next day, Trump was back at Mar-a-Lago. Over the course of February, Trump sent 52 tweets that were spurred by something he was watching on television. Between the emergence of the first case on Jan. 20 and early March, Trump also held eight political rallies in eight different states. At one on Feb. 28, Trump decried criticism of his handling of the virus as the new hoax from his Democratic opponents — the most recent prior hoax having been the impeachment.

Space Force.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st March 2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:34 PM   #2301
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That really sucks. I want those companies named and shamed.

I'd say go ahead, fire us. You don't have enough doctors and nurses as it is so good luck with that.

St Joe's in B'ham WA fired a doctor for speaking out and there's a protest going on outside the hospital now complete with projections on the outside walls with the complaints.

Some of these hospital administrators can't get out of their typical mindset and adapt to the current crisis.

Space Force.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:45 PM   #2302
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I gather that trump held yet another press conference, and in the course of this presented a version of the familiar 'flatten the curve' chart.

What's new is that they apparently added casualty figures to the chart, with the flattened curve projecting 100-240,000 deaths. Lord knows who thought it would be a good idea to add that kind of figure to the chart...

Edit: And now he's defending the figure of 100,000 deaths, saying that it's a very low figure compared to worst-case scenario. This really needs to be added to the video of trump's statements downplaying the virus...

Last edited by KDLarsen; 31st March 2020 at 03:47 PM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 03:50 PM   #2303
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great news! American families will now be able to buy safer, more affordable, and environmentally friendly cars with our new SAFE VEHICLES RULE. Get rid of those old, unsafe clunkers. Build better and safer American cars and create American jobs. Buy American!

My Administration is helping U.S. auto workers by replacing the failed Obama Emissions Rule. Impossible to satisfy its Green New Deal Standard; Lots of unnecessary and expensive penalties to car buyers!

My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3500, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Positive impact on the environment! Foolish executives!

Great work @AtlasAirWW, thank you!
Quote Tweet

Atlas Air Worldwide
@AtlasAirWW
Atlas Air is proud to have supported @fema in delivering 130,000 N95 respirators, 1.8 million face masks and gowns, 10.3 million gloves, and over 70,000 thermometers. Thank you to our crews and ground staff for making this happen. #MissionCritical #Inittogether #AtlasStrong https://twitter.com/FEMA_Pete/status...22232606232577

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 31st March 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:13 PM   #2304
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That really sucks. I want those companies named and shamed.

I'd say go ahead, fire us. You don't have enough doctors and nurses as it is so good luck with that.

St Joe's in B'ham WA fired a doctor for speaking out and there's a protest going on outside the hospital now complete with projections on the outside walls with the complaints.

Some of these hospital administrators can't get out of their typical mindset and adapt to the current crisis.
Come on people. That sort of thing only happens in China.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:24 PM   #2305
AnonyMoose
Muse

Trump Tweets

Great news! American families will now be able to buy safer, more affordable, and environmentally friendly cars with our new SAFE VEHICLES RULE. Get rid of those old, unsafe clunkers. Build better and safer American cars and create American jobs. Buy American!

My Administration is helping U.S. auto workers by replacing the failed Obama Emissions Rule. Impossible to satisfy its Green New Deal Standard; Lots of unnecessary and expensive penalties to car buyers!

My proposal to the politically correct Automobile Companies would lower the average price of a car to consumers by more than $3500, while at the same time making the cars substantially safer. Engines would run smoother. Positive impact on the environment! Foolish executives!

Translation:

Hey everyone! Get out there and buy buy buy! I don't care if you have no job and can't pay the rent... go buy a car. Otherwise the economy will crash and I won't win the election. Save me!
Old 31st March 2020, 04:37 PM   #2306
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

That's something I'm sensing.

Trump is, belatedly, doing a lot. That's good. He ought to.

However, I don't think he is doing anything that a marginally competent manager wouldn't be doing. He screwed up the early part of the response badly. Now, he's rolling out a response that is basically obvious, common sense, things. Cooperate with industry to make PPE? Good idea. Everyone else already thought of that, and sooner than Trump did.

Meanwhile, he flips and flops.

However, because he is obviously busy, and obviously doing something, a lot of people are giving him credit as if he were doing a good job.

When it's all over, will the survivors look back and actually evaluate the effectiveness of this president, or will they say, "He got us through the coronavirus!"
Well... More than 200,000 won't be saying anything. They will be conveniently dead to save his presidency.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:55 PM   #2307
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Well... More than 200,000 won't be saying anything. They will be conveniently dead to save his presidency.
I think a death toll that high will sink Donnie, no matter what tactics he uses.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 04:57 PM   #2308
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
I gather that trump held yet another press conference, and in the course of this presented a version of the familiar 'flatten the curve' chart.

What's new is that they apparently added casualty figures to the chart, with the flattened curve projecting 100-240,000 deaths. Lord knows who thought it would be a good idea to add that kind of figure to the chart...

Edit: And now he's defending the figure of 100,000 deaths, saying that it's a very low figure compared to worst-case scenario. This really needs to be added to the video of trump's statements downplaying the virus...
i don't think people here realise how devastating a death toll of 100000 thousand people is going to be ot the country. When a catastrprophe like that happens, the POTUS in office is going to be blamed by all but his base.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 05:00 PM   #2309
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

He does know that US car makers have shuttered plants and laid off staff and moved their car manufacturing businesses out of the USA already. ...doesn't he? And that those plants which still make gasoline cars will have to meet the stricter "Obama" requirements to sell into other countries, not just the USA. And they are not about to do a massive retool just to make worse products that restrict their market to a giant failing economy. And that "Green New Deal" electric cars and hybrids are WAY more efficient, more environmentally sound, and getting much more cost-effective all the time.

This has all the hallmarks of someone trying to raise the Titanic so they can make it a going concern as an ocean liner again.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 05:20 PM   #2310
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think 200,000 will look good before this is over.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 06:34 PM   #2311
Aridas

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I think 200,000 will look good before this is over.
Unfortunately. There are rays of hope, though, at least, if effective treatments can be found and deployed in time.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:40 PM   #2312
Aridas

He does know that US car makers have shuttered plants and laid off staff and moved their car manufacturing businesses out of the USA already. ...doesn't he? And that those plants which still make gasoline cars will have to meet the stricter "Obama" requirements to sell into other countries, not just the USA. And they are not about to do a massive retool just to make worse products that restrict their market to a giant failing economy. And that "Green New Deal" electric cars and hybrids are WAY more efficient, more environmentally sound, and getting much more cost-effective all the time.

This has all the hallmarks of someone trying to raise the Titanic so they can make it a going concern as an ocean liner again.
You do realize that this is the guy who keeps trying to prop up coal, even at extensive cost to the US and its citizens, right?
Old 31st March 2020, 06:46 PM   #2313
Aridas

Ehh, for the fun of it... if one wants to learn more about the SAFE plan -

The Atlantic published a bit about it a while ago.

Stuff like

Quote:
The mistakes range in scope from the comical to the bizarre, from the obviously accidental to the how-did-they-miss-that. In one case, federal employees have forgotten to divide a crucial figure by four. In another, officials have assumed that raising the cost of cars will lead more people to buy them, a violation of the principle of supply and demand. In a third case, the proposal asserts that freezing fuel-economy standards for new cars will lead the owners of old cars to drive their vehicles less.
In the end, there really isn't benefit to be gained. Except for oil companies, really. (And thus Putin and MBS.)

Last edited by Aridas; 31st March 2020 at 06:49 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:00 PM   #2314
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Much as I'd like to believe the American auto companies are coming around to the 21st century, their response to the huge success and popularity of Tesla electric cars and quality Japanese hybrids has continued to be to make a few crappy knockoffs but make their real money selling ridiculous SUVs...though it's hard to blame them because stupid Americans still come out in droves to buy the gas-guzzling **** heaps.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:03 PM   #2315
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So, say everyone buys a car. Where the hell are we gonna go?
Old 31st March 2020, 07:04 PM   #2316
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Ehh, for the fun of it... if one wants to learn more about the SAFE plan -

The Atlantic published a bit about it a while ago.

In the end, there really isn't benefit to be gained. Except for oil companies, really. (And thus Putin and MBS.)
Well, there is one benefit of no doubt singular importance to Trump: trashing some more Obama stuff.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:11 PM   #2317
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post

He's making it so that if less than 200K people die, it's a victory.......
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:18 PM   #2318
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He's making it so that if less than 200K people die, it's a victory.......
Less than 200K compared to?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:21 PM   #2319
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

You do realize that this is the guy who keeps trying to prop up coal, even at extensive cost to the US and its citizens, right?
We need coal to power all those electric cars don't we?

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 07:29 PM   #2320
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Less than 200K compared to?

Chris B.
A few thousand (scale S. Korea's numbers).

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
We need coal to power all those electric cars don't we?

Chris B.
No, we don't.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics