ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 7th March 2020, 01:12 AM   #1
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Covid-19 and toilet paper hysteria

Pretty weird.

Not sure about other places, but people are bulk buying the stuff.

It is getting a bit silly.

A clip from Aus of people fight over it

https://m.facebook.com/9NewsSydney/v...Fwatch%2F&_rdr

Do people think it shields them from it or can they not think of an alternative.

Calm the farm people.

Anyone here bulk buying it.

Trust me I won't take the **** .... much
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 01:26 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for the shortage:
the sleeper cells that are spreading the virus receive their instructions via messages hidden in rolls of toilet paper.
They just forgot which brand or type, so they have to buy them all and check.
Old 7th March 2020, 01:32 AM   #3
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Coronavirus: Australian newspaper prints extra pages to help out in toilet paper shortage
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...paper-shortage

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 01:50 AM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Surely I am not the only one thinking you can just loot your recently dead in horrible agony neighbour's curtains . Cut them up into sections and Bob's your uncle.

And you can wash and reuse
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 01:51 AM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You would want to wear a mask while looting obviously.

And wear those powdery glove things

Old 7th March 2020, 02:46 AM   #6
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

We've bulk bought toilet paper, but only because we get ours from Costco. We've also bulk bought canned tomatoes, pasta and San Pellegrino for the same reason.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 03:19 AM   #7
GraculusTheGreenBird
Critical Thinker

In Hong Kong, it happened because of a bogus news report on Fakebook, that indicated Chinese paper manufacturers were shifting their production from toilet paper to medical masks, hence would no longer be shipping toilet paper to HK.

That fake report then went viral (ouch) and people went crazy, causing a month of shortages, as normal stocks were depleted too rapidly for the normal and entirely adequate distribution to catch up.

Once they stopped panic buying, the supply chains caught up and sanity returned.

Still, provided great caption material at the time for hilarious pics of people loading up their supermarket trolleys with a dozen 10 pack rolls..
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 03:29 AM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
In Hong Kong, it happened because of a bogus news report on Fakebook, that indicated Chinese paper manufacturers were shifting their production from toilet paper to medical masks, hence would no longer be shipping toilet paper to HK.

That fake report then went viral (ouch) and people went crazy, causing a month of shortages, as normal stocks were depleted too rapidly for the normal and entirely adequate distribution to catch up.

Once they stopped panic buying, the supply chains caught up and sanity returned.

Still, provided great caption material at the time for hilarious pics of people loading up their supermarket trolleys with a dozen 10 pack rolls..
Ah the old fake news.......the fakest news....i will make sure America will have a great supply of toilet paper......the greatest toilet paper.....make no mistake. The Democrats hate toilet paper......but I will get you great toilet paper....the greatest endless supply of toilet paper. ...........to supply this great nation........make no mistake. greatest nation.....

Last edited by cullennz; 7th March 2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 7th March 2020, 04:35 AM   #9
AnonyMoose
Muse

Yeah, what's up with this crazy TP panic? I've been running across these types of TP madness videos on youtube.

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine people bringing on a full blown armageddon over the fear of an imagined toilet paper shortage.... but apparently I've completely underestimated the true dominance of the reptilian brain in the human animal.
Old 7th March 2020, 05:14 AM   #10
sackett
Philosopher

Okay, now

who can think of 5 creative uses for surplus toilet paper? 3? Any?

C'mon, people! We gottus a 'mergency here!

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 05:31 AM   #11
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
who can think of 5 creative uses for surplus toilet paper? 3? Any?

C'mon, people! We gottus a 'mergency here!

Is it the end of the world and you're bored with nothing to do? Do you have a surplus of empty toilet paper rolls? Then we've got just the answer for you:

It's craft time!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th March 2020, 06:00 AM   #12
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

I think it's more to do with people thinking, "Other than food, what's the worst thing to run out of if you're quarantined and stuck at home for a few weeks?"

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 06:17 AM   #13
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
I think it's more to do with people thinking, "Other than food, what's the worst thing to run out of if you're quarantined and stuck at home for a few weeks?"

True. It's also something emergency relief shipments are unlikely to include.

Not everyone has access to endless amounts of Japanese knotweed leaves.
Old 7th March 2020, 06:29 AM   #14
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
That and the fact that one of the possible symptoms of Covid 19 is diarrhoea are the only possible rational reasons for this complete over-reaction.

Apparently supermarkets here are also running out of rice and pasta; to be honest, I didnít notice any empty shelves the other day, but I didnít go down the relevant aisles. I did notice a shortage of own-brand pesto, but that may be unrelated.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 06:35 AM   #15
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Speaking as someone who just had a sewer line replaces I can say that the Rooter Rooter man is rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of people flushing tons of newsprint down their lines.

Yesterday I drove my truck to Costco rode my bike to the farmers market and it was business as usual no sign of shortages.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 06:58 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
That and the fact that one of the possible symptoms of Covid 19 is diarrhoea are the only possible rational reasons for this complete over-reaction.

Apparently supermarkets here are also running out of rice and pasta; to be honest, I didn’t notice any empty shelves the other day, but I didn’t go down the relevant aisles. I did notice a shortage of own-brand pesto, but that may be unrelated.
Local Tesco - pasta shelves completely empty as was the toilet paper aisle.

Last edited by Darat; 7th March 2020 at 08:26 AM. Reason: A up!
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 06:59 AM   #17
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

That's the first I've heard of that symptom. I would assume it's one of many standard symptoms associated with any illness. But I could understand the run on TP because of... the runs.
Old 7th March 2020, 07:09 AM   #18
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Apparently supermarkets here are also running out of rice and pasta; to be honest, I didnít notice any empty shelves the other day, but I didnít go down the relevant aisles. I did notice a shortage of own-brand pesto, but that may be unrelated.
OMG pesto shortage, we're all dooooooomed!!!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 07:42 AM   #19
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Walmart, two days ago, here in a corner of Massachusetts:

Isopropyl alcohol sold out.
Disinfectant spray cleaners sold out.
A lot of items missing from the kitchen utensils wall, probably because one Chinese supplier didn't deliver.
Bleach not completely sold out, but only pricier variant kinds available (scented, thickened).
Toilet paper low in stock overall but many brands still on the shelves. For the time being it appears they've been able to restock overnight.
Hand sanitizer sold out but, as with a few days ago at Aldi, regular hand cleaner is plentiful.

The nearby liquor store's supply of 190 Everclear doesn't seem to be affected.

We're lagging a few weeks behind the west coast in Covid-19 cases, but of course the news stories travel much faster. I'll see what things look like after the weekend. That place is usually packed on Saturdays.
Old 7th March 2020, 07:51 AM   #20
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

"Isles" is such a poetic way of spelling "aisles" -- I picture a noble boat gliding on aquamarine water into a sunny cove, commanding rocks giving way to verdent slopes with shepherds tooting on pan-pipes.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 08:27 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
"Isles" is such a poetic way of spelling "aisles" -- I picture a noble boat gliding on aquamarine water into a sunny cove, commanding rocks giving way to verdent slopes with shepherds tooting on pan-pipes.
Don't know what you mean!
Old 7th March 2020, 08:31 AM   #22
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

And all the bidet people are just sitting at home, calmly meditating.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 08:34 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Strangely in the supermarket the rice aisle (with an a!) was stocked as usual.
Old 7th March 2020, 09:20 AM   #24
Stout
Illuminator

Just for fun

My Corona
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 09:28 AM   #25
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Do you know the difference between toilet paper and a shower curtain?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 10:13 AM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Do you know the difference between toilet paper and a shower curtain?
Depends on the curtain. Some are reasonably absorbent. Not going to have much luck with my glass door, however.
Old 7th March 2020, 10:14 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Simply cease pooping. It's just a matter of willpower.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:46 AM   #28
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Or one can go on a liquid diet. I recommend 80 proof liquids.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 12:07 PM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Or one can go on a liquid diet. I recommend 80 proof liquids.
No, you need Everclear. 80 proof lacks enough alcohol to properly sanitize your hands.
Old 7th March 2020, 12:09 PM   #30
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No, you need Everclear. 80 proof lacks enough alcohol to properly sanitize your hands.
Hands can only be sanitized by the cleansing power of fire!
Old 7th March 2020, 01:16 PM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Hands can only be sanitized by the cleansing power of fire!
Everclear can help with that as well!
Old 7th March 2020, 01:47 PM   #32
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Bucket of hot water and a cloth worked quite well for a few thousand years.

It is like the first symptom of covid-19 is dim followed by lack of ability to improvise.

Old 7th March 2020, 01:57 PM   #33
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Yeah, what's up with this crazy TP panic? I've been running across these types of TP madness videos on youtube.

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine people bringing on a full blown armageddon over the fear of an imagined toilet paper shortage.... but apparently I've completely underestimated the true dominance of the reptilian brain in the human animal.

I can assure you that my pet Boa Constrictor never used toilet paper.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 02:04 PM   #34
sackett
Philosopher

That Corona flu is scary stuff!

Enough to make you **** your pants!

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 11:10 PM   #35
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

One reason for the shortages is because people like me have bought two weeks or more worth of supplies. Does not take many people doing this for supplies to run out in Supermarkets. Then other people see there is a shortage and when the supermarkets get more they buy this, which means the supermarkets get short again.

Then add in idiots who do not know how much they need and buy 6 months worth. Top tip - buy supermarket shares, sell other shares.
Old 7th March 2020, 11:35 PM   #36
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not sure about other places, but people are bulk buying the stuff.
It's everywhere.

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
There was even a robbery in Honk Kong where they only stole toilet paper.

Not rational at all, and only a very small percentage get dairrhoea.

It isn't sold in any bigger quantities when norovirus is on town, and that uses a lot of toilet paper.

I think the answer's entirely obvious.

People are scared.

It's constantly referred to in media as a "deadly virus", when outside the aged & infirm, it's no more deadly than influenza, and less deadly than measles.

People want to feel they're doing something in the face of this apocalypse, and buying toilet paper makes them feel that they've done something positive to prepare for it. They have no other things they can do that might be helpful, so it's a psychological salve. Christians will pray; the less devout buy bog paper.

No expiry date, so no problem.

On the flip side, there should be some great specials on toilet rolls once the panic buying stops, because nobody will be buying it.
Old 8th March 2020, 03:17 AM   #37
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The one here was completely out of capers.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2020, 03:26 AM   #38
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

No issues where I live. I suspect it is a copy cat thing. If some are seen, others just follow.

The only rational excuse for stockpiling is if people have to self isolate for a week or so if they have the virus. It would maybe make sense to arrange one large delivery of essentials, such as loo roll and then stay indoors.
Old 8th March 2020, 06:35 AM   #39
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Going into Target yesterday I saw one guy on the way out carrying one six-pack roll of TP and nothing else. But he wasn't only carrying it, he was tossing it up and catching it, and smiling, as if he'd gotten the last roll on Earth. Doubly weird because everyone knows you can't end up buying just one thing when you go to Target.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:28 AM   #40
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Walmart, two days ago, here in a corner of Massachusetts:

Isopropyl alcohol sold out.
Someone making nerve gases?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events