ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 23rd March 2020, 04:18 PM   #281
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Well the new rules are unequivocal so we'll see what happens when some hair salon or carpet shop decides they are essential.

Hang on carpet shops!? I was going to get new carpets this month, surely it can’t apply to my plans?
Old 23rd March 2020, 04:36 PM   #282
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
In Australia we are in lockdown, but the hairdressers and beauty parlour and hardware stores are still open. What a joke.
I noticed that bottle shops were on the list of essential businesses to remain open.
Elaedith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 05:30 PM   #283
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

In Australia we are in lockdown, but the hairdressers and beauty parlour and hardware stores are still open. What a joke.
I walked past a full hairdresser on the way to an empty supermarket this morning.

I was amazed. If one of the hairdressers has it, I'd think sitting directly in their line of breath for half an hour is a very good way to get it.
Old 23rd March 2020, 05:31 PM   #284
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
I noticed that bottle shops were on the list of essential businesses to remain open.
Same here.

I imagine there's a fine line between the guys who abuse their partners and families when they're drunk to the ones who abuse them when they can't get drunk.
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:09 PM   #285
ThatGuy11200
Thinker

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The fundamental failing was to assume that people would take the warnings seriously and act accordingly. Instead its been an endless stream of denial and self-serving justifications to ignore the advice from so many people. Some people will still not follow the rules unless we literally have soldiers on the streets sticking guns in their faces and ordering them indoors.
They've had a lot of practice with Brexit.
ThatGuy11200 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:53 PM   #286
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Hardware shops being open makes sense IMO because houses always need repairs.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:13 PM   #287
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

For those thinking the USA is at least now doing a good job fighting Covid-19 vs other countries, take a look at these graphs:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

And realize these are semi-log plots. Whereas the rates of deaths are beginning to decline in at least some other countries, maybe even in Italy, they are increasing in the USA! Are we in the USA idiots? Or are we led by idiots?

Once again we know how to begin to control this epidemic. There is no excuse that we are not. And if you can’t see how Trump and his circle of brown noses are primary contributors to this failure, I’ll ask: the national governments in the successful countries played key roles in their success. Who do you think are responsible for the failures in the unsuccessful countries?

Last edited by Giordano; 23rd March 2020 at 11:58 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 01:34 AM   #288
Susheel
Graduate Poster

In India, apart from a couple of states that are trying to take pro-active measures, while also ensuring the welfare of the people living there...most of them are basically busy plugging holes when they form and indulging in patriotic claptrap. Neither of those states have the rightwing party ruling. One of them is actually the communist Party.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:55 AM   #289
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oh my gawd, we have one thread on COVID we're not supposed to bring up anything Trump and now supposedly the politics outside the US needs its own thread?
Politics outside the US has its own forum. That's the forum this thread is in.

US politics has an entire forum all to itself. Posts and threads in there which are not about US politics get removed. I see no reason why posts and threads about US politics should be allowed in the non-US politics forum.

Quote:
Maybe a mod could change the thread title, not all of us go looking for which sub-forum a thread is in.
Or, perhaps, you should check where you're posting before you post, rather than insist that the rules be changed just for you.

US politics has it entire own forum. That's plenty of space to encompass US politics. This forum is for the other 194 countries in the world. It's not unreasonable to expect that the forum dedicated to the whole of the rest of the world not be bogged down with threads and posts about the country that already has an entire forum all to itself.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:57 AM   #290
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
For those thinking the USA is at least now doing a good job fighting Covid-19 vs other countries, take a look at these graphs:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

And realize these are semi-log plots. Whereas the rates of deaths are beginning to decline in at least some other countries, maybe even in Italy, they are increasing in the USA! Are we in the USA idiots? Or are we led by idiots?

Once again we know how to begin to control this epidemic. There is no excuse that we are not. And if you can’t see how Trump and his circle of brown noses are primary contributors to this failure, I’ll ask: the national governments in the successful countries played key roles in their success. Who do you think are responsible for the failures in the unsuccessful countries?
This is another post that would better fit in the US politics thread, rather than the non-US one.
Old 24th March 2020, 03:02 AM   #291
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Who decides what is 'essential work'?
Based on the current categories, for schools, an overly long, vague and needlessly complicated list.

I'm a dog walker, self employed,
Based on Pets at Home's claim you should be fine.

Mind you today the village and walking routes were full of old people enjoying the warm weather....
Let them? It may be their last...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 03:07 AM   #292
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And didn’t help with large employers such as Halfords and Dixons keeping their shops open (and actually lobbying for their brick and mortar stores to be classified as “essential retail”) thus ensuring their tens of thousands of workers be exposed to all those people who thought whilst they can’t go to work having a wander around the shops was a good way to socially isolate...
My favourite bookshop in Dublin, Hodges Figgis, has closed.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 03:13 AM   #293
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the current detail on the list of essential shops in the UK:

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._-_finalVF.pdf

It seems to have been rushed out, if the typos are anything to go by.

Last edited by The Don; 24th March 2020 at 03:15 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 03:42 AM   #294
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/amateuradam/stat...33713129639940

Quote:
14 days ago, Italy had fewer coronavirus cases than we do today. They employed similar public health measures to us. Now they have >7000 cases (366 deaths). Unless I'm missing something, this is us in a fortnight. Hopefully we won't wait that long before doing something more.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1236739529303830530

Quote:
Response from senior government source is “the Italians did several of the populist - non-science based - measures that aren’t any use. They’re who not to follow”.
Old 24th March 2020, 04:26 AM   #295
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1242371779156459520

Quote:
NEW SNAP POLLING:

The public overwhelming back the measures announced by the Prime Minister last night.

➡️Support: 93% (including 76% who strongly support)
➡️Oppose: 4%
➡️Don’t know: 3%

These are crazy high levels of support.
Link to poll embedded in tweet.
Old 24th March 2020, 04:41 AM   #296
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This is another post that would better fit in the US politics thread, rather than the non-US one.
Okay, sorry. But aren’t comparisons of different countries then potentially off topic in both threads/forums?

I I’ll ask the mods to move my prior post and see what happens.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 09:07 AM   #297
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The whole of India on total lockdown for 21 days with people forbidden to leave their homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

Putting the millions who don't actually have homes to one side, how will people survive if they cannot leave their houses for 3 weeks ?
Old 24th March 2020, 09:14 AM   #298
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
how will people survive if they cannot leave their houses for 3 weeks ?
???

The same as every other place on lockdown. You leave the house for essentials only.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #299
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
???

The same as every other place on lockdown. You leave the house for essentials only.
In India that doesn't seem to be permitted.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:30 AM   #300
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

In India that doesn't seem to be permitted.
I see this...

Originally Posted by CNN
"From 12 midnight today, the entire country will go under a complete lockdown to save India and for every Indian, there will be a total ban on venturing out of your homes. Therefore, I request you to remain wherever you are in this country," Modi added.

Only essential services will be operational. These include water, electricity, health services, fire services, groceries and municipal services...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/...ntl/index.html
Old 24th March 2020, 10:33 AM   #301
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Associated Press
Modi called Tuesday’s order a “total lockdown” and did not address whether any service providers would be exempt, but said that “all steps have been taken by central and state government to ensure supply of essential items.”

The ministry of home affairs said essential services including grocery stores, banks, ATMs and gas stations will remain open. It said no more than 20 people will be permitted to attend funerals...
https://apnews.com/176c1393bb1d93a2fb39d2f714d04f8b
Old 24th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #302
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That doesn't seem compatible with Modi saying that there was a total ban on leaving the home. Maybe like his mentor he makes yuuuuge claims and leaves it to others to sort out the practicalities
Old 24th March 2020, 11:01 AM   #303
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's just like the other places on lockdown. A total ban on leaving your home for anything other than life essentials.
Old 24th March 2020, 11:12 AM   #304
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
In India, apart from a couple of states that are trying to take pro-active measures, while also ensuring the welfare of the people living there...most of them are basically busy plugging holes when they form and indulging in patriotic claptrap. Neither of those states have the rightwing party ruling. One of them is actually the communist Party.
Holy crap, India troubles me, and has been since the start.

Given that the foecal-oral route of transmission is a major means of infection, I'm deeply concerned as to how it's all going to pan out for you.

Stay well clear of this sucker, mate - I don't imagine Indian hospitals will be good places for the next few months.
Old 24th March 2020, 11:45 AM   #305
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

The virus is bringing the Nazi's out of the woodwork again. This tweet has gone viral. The a-hole who posted it has since tried to walk it back, but is only digging himself in deeper

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET1Xh5eUEAAH3RR.jpg
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 11:48 AM   #306
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump will make America a Pariah State. Literally.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 11:58 AM   #307
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

I have a small retail shop (in Canada) that is on the esential list .. but it doesn't make much difference, only one or two people a day have been coming in for the last week or so.

I have to wait to April to see if I can apply for assistance.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 12:04 PM   #308
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
I have to wait to April to see if I can apply for assistance.
April happens in 8 days.
Old 24th March 2020, 12:04 PM   #309
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump will make America a Pariah State. Literally.
Frankly, we deserve it. My favorite dream right now is that the UN finally gets the stick out and takes over. I want the regime on trial in the Hague.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 12:43 PM   #310
Garrison
Philosopher

One real bright spot is the rate of infections in Italy is dropping, it seems the measures there are having the desired effect.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:06 PM   #311
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It is hard to wash your hands when the sink is broken.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 01:12 PM   #312
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
???

Not really...there is a huge group of migrant labourers and homeless. In Delhi migrant labourers were forced to trek back with little or no money and in the absence of any public transport system since most states had shut these down a couple of days ago. For a large number of daily wagers and contract workers, there have been no salaries and there will be none for some time. Meanwhile the affluent whinge about being cooped up at home.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:15 PM   #313
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, I just had to fix the overflow on the kitchen sink, needed bits from B&Q otherwise no kitchen sink!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 01:48 PM   #314
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Seems like the lockdown is going to serve as an opportunity for police excess and targeted harassment.
Old 24th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #315
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I find it interesting that China - where lives are usually regarded as worth less than in the West - have been doing so much to contain the virus.
Reason is very simple. A lot of deaths = toppling of government. Judging how UK did 180 on their plans, someone finally told that village idiot about those silly people that for some strange reason get pissed when their loved ones are dying en masse.
Old 24th March 2020, 02:39 PM   #316
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Seems like the lockdown is going to serve as an opportunity for police excess and targeted harassment.
Good of you to focus on the positives!
Old 24th March 2020, 04:13 PM   #317
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Not if people stay at home which is the point of the lock down.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 06:46 PM   #318
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Not if people stay at home which is the point of the lock down.
The police in Delhi and the neighbouring state of Uttar Pradesh have already begun using the opportunity to harass localities where dissent against the government on the Citizenship Act had broiled. Also, last night doctors returning from duty were harassed by the Police in Hyderabad.
Old 24th March 2020, 06:49 PM   #319
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Good of you to focus on the positives!
Well, with this government it has been difficult. Sorry for not being able to indulge in feel good fervor while thousands of the poor and destitute are going to left out to starve.
Old 24th March 2020, 07:43 PM   #320
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sorry for not being able to indulge in feel good fervor while thousands of the poor and destitute are going to left out to starve.
Don't be!

Come and have a good rant in the Covid rant thread.

There are so many things that make me furious about the entire cock-up that I'm a frequent visitor.

Governments are showing how completely worthless they are when faced with an unexpected crisis.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics