ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , healing

Old 1st April 2020, 09:06 PM   #121
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Oh no ........ what did I say! Dann is going to jump on this and say I am gleeful about it.

When the glee is this obvious, I don't think it's necessary. So far, you seem to be one of the few who can't come up with any other way of criticizing ordinary Christians than by means of references to Christian fundamentalists. It's pretty similar to the way that you usually criticize Muslims.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2020, 09:55 PM   #122
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
When the glee is this obvious, I don't think it's necessary. So far, you seem to be one of the few who can't come up with any other way of criticizing ordinary Christians than by means of references to Christian fundamentalists. It's pretty similar to the way that you usually criticize Muslims.
You're not American. The fundies are taking over here.
Old 1st April 2020, 10:01 PM   #123
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Neither is Thor2.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:34 AM   #124
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not unaware of that, but that doesn't mean that one shouldn't distinguish between, on the one hand, ordinary Christians and Muslims, and on the other hand, fundamentalists. Fundamentalist Muslims hijack planes and fly them into buildings; ordinary Muslims don't. Fundamentalist Christians, in this situation, insist on attending prayer meetings, contracting and spreading the virus in the name of their lord; ordinary Christians know what a virus is and meet online instead.
I have yet to hear about a religious group in Scandinavia that defies the ban on public as well as private meetings of more than a certain number of people; in Denmark it's 10. I've tried to google it and I've asked other Scandinavian skeptics, but so far I've found nothing.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:42 AM   #125
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Here is something from the land of religious woo:
https://www.indiatimes.com/amp/techn...20-509487.html
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:10 AM   #126
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I think a Danish astrologer would also like to make it seem as if astrology ... somehow ... predicted the pandemic, which it didn't, of course.

But there's this great piece of news about the relationship between the Danish state and the Church of Denmark:

Quote:
Landets præster er både bekymrede og overraskede over, at kirkeminister Joy Mogensen (S) overvejer at åbne kirkerne for gudstjeneste til påske.
Det siger Per Bucholdt Andreasen, der er formand for Præsteforeningen:
- Det virker modsatrettet, at folkekirken får lempet begrænsningerne efter statsministerens opfordring til at holde fast og holde ud indtil efter påske.
Præsteforeningen har hele tiden opfordret til, at folkekirken skal undgå at medvirke til smittespredning, lyder det i en udtalelse på hjemmesiden.
Præster går i rette med ministeren - ønsker ikke at åbne kirkerne til påske (TV2, April 2, 2020, 16:33)

My translation:
The vicars of Denmark are both concerned and surprised that church minister Joy Mogensen (Social Democrat) considers opening the churches for Easter worship.
This is what Per Bucholdt Andreasen, president of the Vicars Association, says in a statement:
- After the primeminister urged Denmark to hold tight and persevere until after Easter, it seems to be self-contradictory to relax the restrictions for the state church.
A statement on the website says that the Vicars Association has persistently called for the state church to avoid contributing to the spread of infection.

Vicars argue with the minister - they don't want to open the churches for Easter

Way to go, vicars! Refuse to start spreading that bloody virus! Show them how to do it!

Last edited by dann; 2nd April 2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:10 PM   #127
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Good news from Denmark in the case of the protesting vicars:
Efter præsters protester: Kirkeminister vil alligevel ikke åbne kirkerne i påsken (DR.dk, April 2, 2020)

After the vicars protested: The church minister won't open the churches for Easter, after all
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:31 PM   #128
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Nice.

There had to be one somewhere. People have even tried to pin it on The Simpsons.

The vicars of Denmark are both concerned and surprised that church minister Joy Mogensen (Social Democrat) considers opening the churches for Easter worship.
I agree - good for the vicars. It's funny how state religions under a monarch seem to have more sensible people at the front line. That's the sort of thing I'd expect from the Anglicans in UK as well.

Unlike some other countries...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flori...b60bbd7350d1fc
Old 2nd April 2020, 01:13 PM   #129
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Christ, they put it in the science section
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 02:09 PM   #130
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Yeah...IndiaTimes, a media group that could be call the Fox News of India.
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:07 PM   #131
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I agree - good for the vicars.

And for the congregation, too, I think. And for the rest of us who may happen to know somebody in the congregation and now won't get infected by them.

Quote:
It's funny how state religions under a monarch seem to have more sensible people at the front line. That's the sort of thing I'd expect from the Anglicans in UK as well.

Unlike some other countries...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/flori...b60bbd7350d1fc

I've seen it explained in the following way, but I no longer remember where. It may have been in Phil Zuckerman's book Society without God:

The Danish vicars are employed by the state so they are a kind of civil servants. They don't have to compete in the marketplace of religion to earn a living. (But they also don't have the chance to become multi millionaires with mega churches, private jets and yachts like some American preachers.) They are not under any obligation to try to convince people that there is a God in Heaven and a life after death. They don't even have to believe in those things, so they also don't have to fear losing their job if they lose their faith.

I haven't had much to do with vicars, but they tend to be nice people when I've met them. Down to earth and sensible as you can tell from their opposition to the church minister's proposal to open the churches for Easter.
I am a fan of neither state nor church, but whenever I hear the atheists around here advocate for the separation of church and state (it doesn't happen very often), I tell them that they are ******* nuts!
Old 2nd April 2020, 03:48 PM   #132
KDLarsen
Illuminator

To be fair, I think there has been some confusion on whether or not the churches should/would be open for Easter services. My understanding of it was that, some of the political parties had enquired if it would be possible to do it on a limited scale, which the church minister had expressed a willingness to look into.

This was then reported as a statement of fact from the minister, that the churches would indeed be open for Easter services.

In any case, some churches, especially the larger ones, have transitioned to broadcasting brief services on YouTube or Facebook Live, and I'd imagine that is what they'll do for the Easter service.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:06 PM   #133
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I am a fan of neither state nor church, but whenever I hear the atheists around here advocate for the separation of church and state (it doesn't happen very often), I tell them that they are ******* nuts!
Yep - it's noticeable that the heaviest concentration of truly insane "christians" are in USA.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:13 PM   #134
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yep - it's noticeable that the heaviest concentration of truly insane "christians" are in USA.
I think it's safe to say that America took Christianity in directions it had never been before.

And now America is exporting its version of Christianity to the rest of the world because of course it is.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:34 PM   #135
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I think it's safe to say that America took Christianity in directions it had never been before.

And now America is exporting its version of Christianity to the rest of the world because of course it is.

I would bet, if you were to investigate the origin of the 40,000 different flavours of Christianity, 90% of them started in the USA.
Old 2nd April 2020, 05:40 PM   #136
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I would bet, if you were to investigate the origin of the 40,000 different flavours of Christianity, 90% of them started in the USA.
Maybe not 90% but a substantial majority, yeah.

- Randall Munroe
Old 2nd April 2020, 09:21 PM   #137
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...outdoor-easter
Quote:
A Pennsylvania pastor earlier this week announced plans to hold an “outdoor Easter blowout service” that he compared to the likes of Woodstock, despite federal guidelines urging the public to avoid large gatherings and practice social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.

"I'm going to announce it, but we're going to hold an outdoor Easter blowout service, not online, a national gathering, you come from all over like Woodstock,” he continued. “And we're going to gather and lift up Jesus Christ.'
STFU
We're very proud of the job we've done.
Death is death . . . We've done a great job.
President Donald J. Trump
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:06 AM   #138
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The 'Woodstock preacher' was mentioned in the thread with the unfortunate title, Preacher wanst Christian Woodstock in defeince of lockdown orders...
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:35 AM   #139
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
To be fair, I think there has been some confusion on whether or not the churches should/would be open for Easter services. My understanding of it was that, some of the political parties had enquired if it would be possible to do it on a limited scale, which the church minister had expressed a willingness to look into.

This was then reported as a statement of fact from the minister, that the churches would indeed be open for Easter services.

In any case, some churches, especially the larger ones, have transitioned to broadcasting brief services on YouTube or Facebook Live, and I'd imagine that is what they'll do for the Easter service.

I wasn't aware of that, but I can see that Søren Pape was involved, which doesn't surprise me at all: Præster langer ud efter Joy og Papes påskeplan (EkstraBladet, April 2, 2020)
Translation: Vicars strike out against Joy and Pape's plan

I can see that the bishops protested, too!

I bet that Pape was inspired by stupid, selfish, shortsighted businessmen and members of his party like Asger Aamund:
80-årige Aamund: En fejl at lukke hele Danmark ned (BT, March 23, 2020)

Translation: 80-year-old Aamund: It's a mistake to put all of Denmark on lockdown
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:31 AM   #140
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Denmark appears to have a minor problem with the Catholics:
Mens folkekirken er lukket, holder katolske kirker åbent trods coronakrise (DR.dk, April 3, 2020)

Translation:
While the state church of Denmark is on lockdown, Catholic Churches are open despite the coronavirus crisis

However, the Catholic Churches in Denmark have stopped mass altogether. They just continue to have confession. I can't imagine that the risk of spreading the infection in this way will be very high, but I also don't see why Catholics can't just go online whenever they feel the need to confess. (I think that Karl Marx described it as 'relieving oneself spiritually.')
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:56 AM   #141
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Doesn't everyone?

Ours are by far the most aggressive religious sect. The kiddies' religions push among their groups, but only the Catholics spend millions on TV advertising and supporting "morality" campaigns.

I just hope they're still using communion chalices.

Meanwhile, yet another American church has decided to share the disease among its flock: https://www.sfgate.com/coronavirus/a...s-15175215.php

65+ cases. Good work, morons.
Old 3rd April 2020, 02:03 PM   #142
Thor 2
Philosopher

In Israel the antra conservative town of Bnei Brak is on lockdown. The town has a disproportionately large number of coronavirus cases, which may in part be the result of rabbis urging residents to spurn ant-virus measures. The rabbis think God will protect them I suppose.

So now we have fundy Christians as well as fundy Jewish, defying worldly medical advice in favour of God given directions, via those seen as qualified to give it. Anyone hear of other religious groups doing the same?

Last edited by Thor 2; 3rd April 2020 at 03:50 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 03:28 PM   #143
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Well, the muslins in Iran were insisting on licking a statue when the death toll was at its height there.
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:49 PM   #144
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw a segment about one of those churches that refused to close (Southern U.S.).

People driving out form the services aren't concerned because "I'm covered in Jesus' blood!" or "Jesus' blood cures everything!"

For. ****'s. Sake.
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:27 PM   #145
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Mens folkekirken er lukket, holder katolske kirker åbent trods coronakrise (DR.dk, April 3, 2020)

Translation:
While the state church of Denmark is on lockdown, Catholic Churches are open despite the coronavirus crisis

However, the Catholic Churches in Denmark have stopped mass altogether. They just continue to have confession. I can't imagine that the risk of spreading the infection in this way will be very high, but I also don't see why Catholics can't just go online whenever they feel the need to confess. (I think that Karl Marx described it as 'relieving oneself spiritually.')
Well, after confession there should be absolving, and that may not work properly at long range.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 03:01 AM   #146
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't everyone?

Ours are by far the most aggressive religious sect. The kiddies' religions push among their groups, but only the Catholics spend millions on TV advertising and supporting "morality" campaigns.

I've never seen religious TV advertising in Denmark. And if you don't happen to live next to one of the few Catholic churches, you may not even notice that Catholics exist. In my municipality of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg (103,960 inhabitants), there appears to be only one Catholic church. I've lived here since 1997, and I had never heard of it until I googled "catholic churches frederiksberg" just now.
Maybe the Pope may have given up on us ...
Old 4th April 2020, 03:11 AM   #147
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
Well, after confession there should be absolving, and that may not work properly at long range.

Well, God works in mysterious ways and the Pope has introduced something called “general absolution” to the faithful, “without prior individual confession” (The Jesuit Review, March 20, 2020)
Maybe the Danish Catholics didn't get the memo.
Old 4th April 2020, 06:49 AM   #148
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I just saw a segment about one of those churches that refused to close (Southern U.S.).

People driving out form the services aren't concerned because "I'm covered in Jesus' blood!" or "Jesus' blood cures everything!"

For. ****'s. Sake.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/0...-ac360-vpx.cnn

That particular nutcase was in Ohio though I've seen reports out of Florida and other places. Watch the video if you're in the mood have your stomach turned. The only consolation is that based on the pastor's "fake news" comment at the end, they are likely Trump supporters and Ohio is a swing state.
Old 4th April 2020, 08:08 AM   #149
catsmate
No longer the 1

Seem like a nice bunch of guys.

Has any Bible thumper suggested the coronavirus pandemic, is the result of God's wrath because of homosexuality yet? They are a bit slow off the mark if not.
Quote:
America is experiencing the consequential wrath of God
Of course. Trump's pal Ralph Drollinger the cretin who does "bible study" groups for the Trumpettes.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:22 AM   #150
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Rodney Howard-Browne:
Quote:
Masks now, Burka next! Get ready!
Link.
He's the clown who was arrested for holding a mass church service. Apparently he's now called off services because the church's insurance got cancelled.
Old 4th April 2020, 11:53 AM   #151
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I've never seen religious TV advertising in Denmark. And if you don't happen to live next to one of the few Catholic churches, you may not even notice that Catholics exist. In my municipality of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg (103,960 inhabitants), there appears to be only one Catholic church. I've lived here since 1997, and I had never heard of it until I googled "catholic churches frederiksberg" just now.
Maybe the Pope may have given up on us ...
Lucky you!

Thanks to importing large numbers of Catholics through immigration, they've really started to flex their money down here in recent years. They've always advertised on TV, but much more lately.

Worst of all, and something that disgusts me every time I drive past it, is a Catholic school at the end of our street which has the back wall of the school gym facing the road, with "God Is Our Compass" written across it in letters that are probably visible from the moon.
Old 4th April 2020, 12:41 PM   #152
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Rodney Howard-Browne:

Link.
He's the clown who was arrested for holding a mass church service. Apparently he's now called off services because the church's insurance got cancelled.

Why on earth does he need insurance.......
Old 4th April 2020, 02:01 PM   #153
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks to importing large numbers of Catholics through immigration, they've really started to flex their money down here in recent years. They've always advertised on TV, but much more lately.

Don't despair!
Quote:
Up until the 2016 census, adherents had been recorded as growing both numerically and as a percentage of the population, however the 2016 census found a fall in both overall numbers and the percentage of Catholics as a proportion of Australia: with 5,291,839 Australian Catholics (around 22.6% of the population) in 2016 down from 5,439,257 in the 2011 census (25.3% of the population).
Catholic Church in Australia (Wikipedia)
Quote:
Worst of all, and something that disgusts me every time I drive past it, is a Catholic school at the end of our street which has the back wall of the school gym facing the road, with "God Is Our Compass" written across it in letters that are probably visible from the moon.

Put up your own sign: "Who needs God? I've got GPS!"
Old 4th April 2020, 02:04 PM   #154
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why on earth does he need insurance.......

Well, doesn't everybody?!
Old 5th April 2020, 07:40 AM   #155
catsmate
No longer the 1

Bethany Slavic Missionary church, a Pentecostal church in suburban Sacramento that failed to end services moving them from the church building to various private homes presided over by church pastors, is at the centre of a major infection cluster. 71 people have been diagnosed, and tested, with Covid-19.
The 71 include three pastors who are critically ill in hospital,

Last year the church, led by hospitalised senior pastor Adam Bondaruk,protected against vaccination laws in California.

******* god-bothering morons. They didn't even have the decency to follow the example of Giuseppe Berardelli.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 06:20 PM   #156
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Bethany Slavic Missionary church, a Pentecostal church in suburban Sacramento that failed to end services moving them from the church building to various private homes presided over by church pastors, is at the centre of a major infection cluster. 71 people have been diagnosed, and tested, with Covid-19.
The 71 include three pastors who are critically ill in hospital,

Last year the church, led by hospitalised senior pastor Adam Bondaruk,protected against vaccination laws in California.

******* god-bothering morons. They didn't even have the decency to follow the example of Giuseppe Berardelli.

I don't detect a gleeful smirk on your face do I catsmate?
Old 5th April 2020, 06:26 PM   #157
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

I think we all kniow that we shouldn't exhibit too much schadenfreude, but it's hard sometimes.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 09:32 PM   #158
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
They didn't even have the decency to follow the example of Giuseppe Berardelli.
You know that story was made up?

https://cruxnow.com/covid-19/2020/03...pecial-person/
Old 7th April 2020, 08:24 AM   #159
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Does that mean that he won't be sanctified or is there a loophole somewhere?
Old 7th April 2020, 09:58 AM   #160
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Israel health minister, who claimed Covid-19 is a divine punishment for homosexuality, tests positive for Covid-19...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...19/ar-BB12goRL
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 7th April 2020 at 09:59 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy