IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Reply
Old 5th January 2021, 06:05 AM   #2601
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
The African versions of various natural life forms often seem to be the tough and nasty versions. Like the killer bee, Ebola and HIV.

This afternoon I heard an impassioned plea from a nurse who says this new SA strain of Covid is nasty. Apparently much more infectious, hence the sudden rapid spread here (no need for cell EMFs to amplify it ).

A much more infectious virus probably means it grows faster. If it grows faster, it spreads faster, but that also means that it can overwhelm a person quickly. Young people are now getting infected probably because viral loads are higher with a quick growth. Just thinking logically. We will have to wait and see.

The Whatsapp plea said that most of the hospitals in the Joburg area are starting to overflow. (She also said she was seeing cases of infected one day and dead the next.) This was confirmed by a person we know who works at a doctors office. They were suddenly struggling to get people into any of the hospitals, and patients were arriving in numbers.

Sooooo. Is this the deadly second wave I was saying is going to come? Or are we in for more mutations down the road. I see that there is some concern from the US and UK about this variant. The UK visitors that were here had their direct flights cancelled but were allowed in on indirect flights provided they quarantined.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 06:24 AM   #2602
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,530
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The African versions of various natural life forms often seem to be the tough and nasty versions. Like the killer bee, Ebola and HIV.
...
The African version of the woo-slinger seems to also be a tougher, more reason-resistant version of the usual thing.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #2603
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,841
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The African versions of various natural life forms often seem to be the tough and nasty versions. Like the killer bee, Ebola and HIV.
Killer bees aren't African.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #2604
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,783
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
We have an infestation of flies
Bingo!

God really doesn't like people who use pagan tarot cards

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bingo card.jpg (81.8 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #2605
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,194
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The African versions of various natural life forms often seem to be the tough and nasty versions. Like the killer bee, Ebola and HIV.

This afternoon I heard an impassioned plea from a nurse who says this new SA strain of Covid is nasty. Apparently much more infectious, hence the sudden rapid spread here (no need for cell EMFs to amplify it ).

A much more infectious virus probably means it grows faster. If it grows faster, it spreads faster, but that also means that it can overwhelm a person quickly. Young people are now getting infected probably because viral loads are higher with a quick growth. Just thinking logically. We will have to wait and see.

The Whatsapp plea said that most of the hospitals in the Joburg area are starting to overflow. (She also said she was seeing cases of infected one day and dead the next.) This was confirmed by a person we know who works at a doctors office. They were suddenly struggling to get people into any of the hospitals, and patients were arriving in numbers.

Sooooo. Is this the deadly second wave I was saying is going to come? Or are we in for more mutations down the road. I see that there is some concern from the US and UK about this variant. The UK visitors that were here had their direct flights cancelled but were allowed in on indirect flights provided they quarantined.
Do you really have your own imaginary version of reality?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 06:12 PM   #2606
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 27,231
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Do you really have your own imaginary version of reality?
Also, apparently, the virulent African variant.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 07:43 PM   #2607
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,530
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Also, apparently, the virulent African variant.
Marlin Perkins-
Quote:
Although we tagged the magnificent moose, and caught sight of the elusive and virulent African wooslinger, we brought back no trophies. Our only trophy was knowledge, not antlers over the fireplace. And knowledge surely is the richest prize man can seek in...The Wild Kingdom.
Actual quote, only minor changes made.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:16 AM   #2608
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,032
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Marlin Perkins-

Actual quote, only minor changes made.
Good thing it wasn't the anaconda episode.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:46 PM   #2609
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
The African version of the woo-slinger seems to also be a tougher, more reason-resistant version of the usual thing.

Yes. I am tough and persistent. Probably the reason God decided I could pass on the message. However, I realize that without help from God it will not happen. I presume then there are reasons for that which I cannot yet figure out.

As for reason-resistant, you are reflecting on yourselves. When challenged to put up a rational argument, posters are responding with arbitrary insults.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:50 PM   #2610
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Killer bees aren't African.
You did not Google it first. Not did I, but my memory is still okay on many things. Before your time?

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/buginfo/killbee

Africanized Honey Bees (=Killer Bees) are dangerous because they attack intruders in numbers much greater than European Honey Bees. Since their introduction into Brazil, they have killed some 1,000 humans, with victims receiving ten times as many stings than from the European strain. They react to disturbances ten times faster than European Honey Bees, and will chase a person a quarter of a mile.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:20 AM   #2611
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The definition of subjective validation, and the reason it was necessary to invent the scientific method.

So the scientific method was "invented"? Now can you prove that the scientific method is the ONLY one that can validate facts? (or do you have to use the scientific method to do your proof?)

Or is that just a matter of convenient consensus. It is conveniently accepted on faith by atheists? What happened to logical philosophical arguments and conjectures with regard to the purpose and origin of life?

Oh, yes. Not a matter for scientists to discuss. They just do not know.

I have seen 3 Covid cures denounced by science as fake. Steam, anti-inflammatory drugs and colloidal silver. Yet, when I research them, I see "experts" make a pronouncement. No proof and no science. They are the high priests of science, so of course they must be right.m No different to all the fake prophets atheists complain about.

One expert said "one must lower fever temperatures because high temperatures are bad for the body." WHAT? How? Where does she give an example of such studies? Show me one study that let fevers run their course and where the body temperature got past the natural limit - ie one that did damage of some sort.

Another study (probably widely quoted) said "Steaming benefits are outweighed by the burns caused. We examined a number of cases of steam inhalation scalding and burns." I read through the study quickly and could not see what damage was been done. Then I went case by case and noticed that the area of damage was "legs" and "feet" and "arms". Although not stated, the damage done could only have been done by tipping over the pot of boiling water being used. What a misleading study. Why did they not explicitly make this clear, instead of repeatedly using the phrase "steam inhalation scalding"?

And of course silver. Articles often say "The FDA has banned proponents from falsely claiming benefits." I also hear the logic "Silver is a heavy metal" (true). "Heavy metals are harmful." (false - some heavy metals such as lead and mercury are, and blue men due to severe overdosing is a harmless side effect). Only now, that Covid is forcing universities to consider silver, is anyone doing anything. There is no profit for Big Pharma and so no incentive to study it, except for hollow pseudo studies that miss the point.

Science is getting treated with the mistrust it is earning from abuse by government and big Corporates. Support for science by atheists as the new religion also causes distrust.

Well, God aims to change that. Note the distrust of the ruling elite seen in the storming of the Senate. His planned chaos is spreading like Covid.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**

Last edited by PartSkeptic; 7th January 2021 at 12:23 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:48 AM   #2612
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,829
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
So the scientific method was "invented"? Now can you prove that the scientific method is the ONLY one that can validate facts?
It's the only way I know to carefully and methodically eliminate the effect of our cognitive biases. That's what it's chiefly for. If you know any other way of doing so, by all means describe it.

Subjective validation is not a God given talent, it's one of several sources of possible error that have been hard wired into the way our brains work by natural selection. Those sources of error have to be eliminated before anyone, including you, can reliably conclude that a pattern or correlation you think you see is really there. Again, if you know a way of doing that other than by the careful application of the scientific method, let's hear it.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 05:03 AM   #2613
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,841
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You did not Google it first. Not did I, but my memory is still okay on many things. Before your time?

https://www.si.edu/spotlight/buginfo/killbee

Africanized Honey Bees (=Killer Bees) are dangerous because they attack intruders in numbers much greater than European Honey Bees. Since their introduction into Brazil, they have killed some 1,000 humans, with victims receiving ten times as many stings than from the European strain. They react to disturbances ten times faster than European Honey Bees, and will chase a person a quarter of a mile.
If you'd read your article properly, you would have seen that it proves my point.
Africanised honey bees are a hybrid of African and European bees, created in Brazil. They did not evolve naturally in Africa, which was what you were saying. And, yes, I knew this before I posted it. (Strangely, that's why I posted it).
What comes before a fall, PartSkeptic?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:42 AM   #2614
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
When challenged to put up a rational argument, posters are responding with arbitrary insults.
Nonsense. When presented with a rational argument, you complain that it's too long for you to read. Actual insults are not allowed here, and would be subject to moderation.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 07:51 AM   #2615
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
I said that I thought Joe Biden may not be sworn in. But I am curious to see how he handles the first 100 days.

It was my feeling that Georgia would be won by the Democrats. This was because I feel that because God's plan is more chaos, Joe will make things worse. I am not Dem or Gop. The US has lost its way with special interests.

Biden flip flops and that will be a disaster. If KH takes over then that will be more issues.

Interesting times.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:07 AM   #2616
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Now can you prove that the scientific method is the ONLY one that can validate facts? (or do you have to use the scientific method to do your proof?)
Straw man, and gibberish. The scientific method is the overall best way to test certain hypotheses, chiefly those that arise to describe the behavior of the physical world. As Pixel42 challenges you: name a more accurate and effective one.

Quote:
It is conveniently accepted on faith by atheists?
No. My colleagues include several people of deep faith. They accept the scientific method, along with their atheist colleagues, because it has a proven track record of generating predictive theories when proper observation is available.

Quote:
What happened to logical philosophical arguments and conjectures with regard to the purpose and origin of life?

Oh, yes. Not a matter for scientists to discuss. They just do not know.
Or more properly, do not care. As to the origin of life, there is a considerable body of knowledge to describe how life arose on Earth, how speciation occurred, and many of the questions we have about it. As to the purpose of life, aside from the philosophical aspects, there doesn't seem to be one aside from its own perpetuation.

That various people have assigned a purpose to life based on their beliefs in the supernatural concerns science only insofar as scientifically testable proof for that supernatural cause or origin can be brought to bear. If it cannot, science is not obliged to conflate those beliefs with what can be observed, deduced, and theorized.

You seem to be complaining that philosophy and science are different pursuits.

Quote:
Yet, when I research them, I see "experts" make a pronouncement.
The quality of your "research" on other topics leaves much to be desired. If you would care to discuss specific statements made by the so-called "high-priests of science," then provide the citations to them so that we can all be on the same page. I do not trust your ability or willingness either to discover what scientific authority actually says on a subject, or to represent it accurately.

Quote:
Science is getting treated with the mistrust it is earning from abuse by government and big Corporates.
Please cite the evidence that supports this claim. You have in the past chosen to associate yourself with people who distrust science for various reasons, and you seem to obtain your understanding from them of what the scientific claims and their basis are. Do not mistake your clearly partisan attitude for dispassionate judgment.

Quote:
Support for science by atheists as the new religion also causes distrust.
No, science is not a religion. Atheists are not seeking religion. They do not treat science as a religion. Scientific methodology is held up instead as a substitute for religion, it being based instead on careful and systematic observation, testing of evidence, ongoing review, and ongoing retest. It is the atheist view that this is a more accurate way of attempting to understand the physical world than the religious approach of just making stuff up.

Quote:
Well, God aims to change that. Note the distrust of the ruling elite seen in the storming of the Senate. His planned chaos is spreading like Covid.
You have no proof of a god, and no proof that you speak for one if there is one. The attempted coup was directly incited by Donald J. Trump, the epitome of the ruling elite. It has nothing to do with a god.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #2617
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I said that I thought Joe Biden may not be sworn in. But I am curious to see how he handles the first 100 days.
Shifting goalposts. You insinuated a prediction that Biden would die before being sworn in. Then you backed away from it when it seemed it would not come true.

Quote:
It was my feeling that Georgia would be won by the Democrats.
...you say after the fact.

Quote:
This was because I feel that because God's plan is more chaos, Joe will make things worse.
In what ways? Be specific. Either make testable predictions or quit pretending to be a prophet.

Quote:
Biden flip flops and that will be a disaster. If KH takes over then that will be more issues.
Specifically what issues?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 08:10 AM   #2618
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 15,370
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I said that I thought Joe Biden may not be sworn in. But I am curious to see how he handles the first 100 days.

It was my feeling that Georgia would be won by the Democrats. This was because I feel that because God's plan is more chaos, Joe will make things worse. I am not Dem or Gop. The US has lost its way with special interests.

Biden flip flops and that will be a disaster. If KH takes over then that will be more issues.

Interesting times.
Did you express this feeling prior to the election?

I have all sorts of thoughts / feelings about all sorts of topics. I could wrack up false positives endlessly if I were so inclined.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
My authority is total - Trump
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:41 AM   #2619
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,864
Believers, it's time for the Magic 8-Ball's weekly prognostication (all of them accurate so far).

Q: Should the people of the United States hold President Trump responsible for the violent invasion of the Capitol and the attendant deaths?
Magic 8-Ball: You may rely on it

There you go. I don't know what tarot says about that. No sane person would believe what a pack of pasteboard rectangles might say, anyhow.
Spektator is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:03 PM   #2620
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,530
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Yes. I am tough and persistent. Probably the reason God decided I could pass on the message. However, I realize that without help from God it will not happen. I presume then there are reasons for that which I cannot yet figure out.

As for reason-resistant, you are reflecting on yourselves. When challenged to put up a rational argument, posters are responding with arbitrary insults.
Oh please, mother. I responded directly to your "good question" post (on the previous page), asking a series of questions intended to further a discussion of your claims and ideas- kind of the purpose of this forum, eh?- and your response was- what? Why, none at all- as is your wont, you went off on another of your weird tangents with the "African bees" thing, and just ignored my post and the questions altogether. So my response to that was ridicule- the forum does, after all, allow for "lively" discussion. Now if you think the ridicule amounted to insult, all I can say is "report it"- as Jay has said (I think), this resort to whining about being insulted but refusing to do any more than that about it is a cheap rhetorical trick. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen; if you're gonna stay, cook, and stop complaining about the flavor of the soup you're being served.

I mean, for pity's sake- for someone who has said several times variations on "too busy to read [on-point] posts," you sure do seem to find the time to write plenty of pointless, wandering posts of your own.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 03:58 PM   #2621
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,440
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I said that I thought Joe Biden may not be sworn in. But I am curious to see how he handles the first 100 days.

It was my feeling that Georgia would be won by the Democrats. This was because I feel that because God's plan is more chaos, Joe will make things worse. I am not Dem or Gop. The US has lost its way with special interests.

Biden flip flops and that will be a disaster. If KH takes over then that will be more issues.

Interesting times.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:30 PM   #2622
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,829
That anyone would predict with an apparently straight face that Boring Biden will cause more chaos than Trump after the last four days, and indeed the last four years, boggles the mind.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:40 AM   #2623
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
That anyone would predict with an apparently straight face that Boring Biden will cause more chaos than Trump after the last four days, and indeed the last four years, boggles the mind.

Wait and see.

I do not see Biden trying to heal the nation and bring both sides together. He is letting the extremist element in the Dem party rip into the other half of the country. Division and chaos. Just what God wants. He just has to step back and let Satan enjoy himself for a while before reigning him in. Covid will spread faster.

The Infinite Intelligence is getting just what it wants - entertainment.

The USA is in turmoil and that might lead to war. I cannot predict if and when that might happen. But the ongoing turbulence is going to expose weaknesses of the scientists and the elite. Only that way can a spiritual revolution also take place.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:52 AM   #2624
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Shifting goalposts. You insinuated a prediction that Biden would die before being sworn in. Then you backed away from it when it seemed it would not come true.

(snip)

I am ambivalent. There was not a clear sign, and the cards would not give an answer. But there are a few days left. Emotionally, I would prefer to see Biden do a few months to see what happens. I see others speculating about his health. I do not care to be either right or wrong on this one.

With the emotion in the country, Biden could fall victim to an attack. Presumably the secret service are more adept than the palace guards (er, capitol police, I mean).

My health has improved a lot. A religious man would say my prayers have been answered. I seem to have found a balance of medication that at least gets me through the day and able to work physically and mentally. A big part seems to be an increase my anti-fungal medication. I hope that is not a sign that the fungus is becoming resistant. If it is, then it is a serious problem because there is no other medical fix.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**

Last edited by Agatha; 14th January 2021 at 06:55 AM. Reason: fix quote tags
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:09 AM   #2625
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 12,829
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I do not see Biden trying to heal the nation and bring both sides together.
Whereas that is what Trump would have done, based on the last four years?

Give me a break.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 05:41 AM   #2626
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 1,864
Your weekly Magic 8-Ball reading:

Will a Biden administration help bring the nation together?

Magic 8-Ball: "As I see it, yes."
Spektator is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:41 AM   #2627
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I am ambivalent. There was not a clear sign, and the cards would not give an answer.
I don't care what your excuse is for not committing to a position when asked. You are acting exactly like every other fake prophet.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:46 AM   #2628
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
He is letting the extremist element in the Dem party rip into the other half of the country.
For example?

Quote:
But the ongoing turbulence is going to expose weaknesses of the scientists and the elite.
Can't resist the constant digs at science, can you? Even when it's clumsy to work into the dialogue. And you haven't seemed yet to figure out that Donald Trump, whom you seem to be defending, is the very elite you seem to want to despise.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:37 AM   #2629
wea
Critical Thinker
 
wea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: EU, IT
Posts: 413
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I cannot predict if and when that might happen.
Finally something we can agree on
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 11:58 AM   #2630
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,562
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Wait and see.

I do not see Biden trying to heal the nation and bring both sides together. He is letting the extremist element in the Dem party rip into the other half of the country. Division and chaos.

Where have you been for the last four years?
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #2631
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 27,231
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Wait and see.

I do not see Biden trying to heal the nation and bring both sides together. He is letting the extremist element in the Dem party rip into the other half of the country. Division and chaos. Just what God wants. He just has to step back and let Satan enjoy himself for a while before reigning him in. Covid will spread faster.

The Infinite Intelligence is getting just what it wants - entertainment.

The USA is in turmoil and that might lead to war. I cannot predict if and when that might happen. But the ongoing turbulence is going to expose weaknesses of the scientists and the elite. Only that way can a spiritual revolution also take place.
Bringing both sides together is a nice trope, but if one of the sides is the side that desires the overthrow of the government and the installation of a mendacious dictator, as they have shown they do, then it is not what is needed, any more than it was appropriate for the revolutionaries of 1776 to mollify the king, or the Union to mollify the Confederacy, or for anyone to declare that giving tyrants what they want is "peace in our time."

Right now the criminals facing prosecution are threatening to do more crimes if they aren't now given a free pass to keep right on doing it until they succeed in demolishing the Union. Saying "no" to that is not extremism, it's common sense.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:29 AM   #2632
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,841
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post

My health has improved a lot. A religious man would say my prayers have been answered. I seem to have found a balance of medication that at least gets me through the day and able to work physically and mentally. A big part seems to be an increase my anti-fungal medication. I hope that is not a sign that the fungus is becoming resistant. If it is, then it is a serious problem because there is no other medical fix.
If your prayers were effective, you would not need medication.

Crediting the beneficial effects of medicine to prayer is dishonest and obviously wrong.

If your prayers were effective, fungal resistance to medication would not be 'a serious problem'. In fact, it would not be a problem at all.

Where do you stand on evolution, by the way?
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #2633
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,194
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
My health has improved a lot. A religious man would say my prayers have been answered. I seem to have found a balance of medication that at least gets me through the day and able to work physically and mentally. A big part seems to be an increase my anti-fungal medication.
Did god do it or did the medication do it?

If gawd did it then you can chuck all the meds, right? God will
do it anyway, so you need no meds, right?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #2634
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,194
Ooops, double. deleted.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 14th January 2021 at 03:15 PM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #2635
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,783
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
The Infinite Intelligence is getting just what it wants - entertainment.
God "OK I'm bored. Lets drown all the innocent children with a big flood. That should be entertaining!"

God "I'm bored again. Let's knock up that virgin with my bastard child. That should be fun"

God "That was boring. How about I have my bastard son whipped, nailed to a tree and poked with a spear till he croaks".

God "I'm bored again. How about some terrible diseases to kill off children again."

Thanks, Partskeptic, for helping us understand God's motive.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.