ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:20 PM   #1
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,747
Microsoft - Killjoys.

It always brightened up my day to watch apparently competent people sabotage themselves and their colleagues over and over again solely due to the absence of any desire to learn even the slightest thing about the tools they're using. That along with the odd comedy reply could make even the dullest days a little brighter.

But now, Microsoft, in their wisdom, are offering an 'ignore conversation' feature, for all those times when somebody's emailed everybody and most people are hitting 'reply all'.

My only hope is that people won't know how to use it.


https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...e/ba-p/1369811
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:53 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 55,302
Please remove me from this list!
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:13 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,729
This is a good reason not to send an email to a large number of people with their addresses in the TO and CC boxes. Use the BCC box instead. Even better use mail merge and use their name in the email.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:42 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,213
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This is a good reason not to send an email to a large number of people with their addresses in the TO and CC boxes. Use the BCC box instead. Even better use mail merge and use their name in the email.
I've sent this to everyone at our company for their information.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:37 PM   #5
xterra
So far, so good...
 
xterra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Posts: 3,552
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
This is a good reason not to send an email to a large number of people with their addresses in the TO and CC boxes. Use the BCC box instead. Even better use mail merge and use their name in the email.

Are you seriously suggesting that people learn new procedures in a digital environment, whether it be business or personal?

That borders on cruel and unusual punishment, and in some areas would make you liable to being flogged — or even worse, being forced to read all the oh-so-cute photo-edited pictures of very young children supposedly telling Grandma how to operate her {technical-thing}.
__________________
Over we go....
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:24 PM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,729
Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that people learn new procedures in a digital environment, whether it be business or personal?

That borders on cruel and unusual punishment, and in some areas would make you liable to being flogged ó or even worse, being forced to read all the oh-so-cute photo-edited pictures of very young children supposedly telling Grandma how to operate her {technical-thing}.
I assume this is a joke. However I am surprised that many people send out emails to many people using the To box rather than the BCC box. This is a dangerous practice if it is sent out to people who are external to the organisation. All what it would take is one of these people having a compromised computer and all of the email addresses will go to a spammer. It does not even have to a compromised computer. One of these people could be someone who sends out bulk emails. They would love to know more addresses and having heaps of them in the To box allows them to do that. With the names of the people as well.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:58 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Southern hemisphere
Posts: 7,213
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I assume this is a joke. However I am surprised that many people send out emails to many people using the To box rather than the BCC box. This is a dangerous practice if it is sent out to people who are external to the organisation. All what it would take is one of these people having a compromised computer and all of the email addresses will go to a spammer. It does not even have to a compromised computer. One of these people could be someone who sends out bulk emails. They would love to know more addresses and having heaps of them in the To box allows them to do that. With the names of the people as well.
I was taught that "standard business practice" for email circulars was to send it To: yourself, and BCC: all targets. And this was back in the 1980's when email was new and text-based. For exactly the reasons you outlined.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 04:26 AM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,729
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I was taught that "standard business practice" for email circulars was to send it To: yourself, and BCC: all targets. And this was back in the 1980's when email was new and text-based. For exactly the reasons you outlined.
And yet Microsoft have decided to put this 'fix' in. If everyone did the above it would not be needed. Strange.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 04:45 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I was taught that "standard business practice" for email circulars was to send it To: yourself, and BCC: all targets. And this was back in the 1980's when email was new and text-based. For exactly the reasons you outlined.

The email I had back in the 1980s didnít have BCC.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 04:47 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
And yet Microsoft have decided to put this 'fix' in. If everyone did the above it would not be needed. Strange.

Not strange at all, the To: field is for you to put in the email address or group you wish to send it to. The BCC: field is if you wish a copy to go to someone else that isnít shown to the people in the To: field.

That you use it in a non standard manner for which it wasnít designed is the rather strange thing.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2020, 09:01 AM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 55,302
The honorable use of the BCC field is to snitch on people.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2020, 06:31 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The honorable use of the BCC field is to snitch on people.

Of course.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 03:03 AM   #13
lauwersw
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 140
This still happens in our company every few years. Usually it happens through a mailing list which is composed automatically when you subscribe to some tool and which nobody knows even exists. Some mistypes the address and triggers that mailing list.

Oh, and please everyone stop responding that you want to get off this thread, that only makes it worse!!!
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:09 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 91,593
Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
This still happens in our company every few years. Usually it happens through a mailing list which is composed automatically when you subscribe to some tool and which nobody knows even exists. Some mistypes the address and triggers that mailing list.

Oh, and please everyone stop responding that you want to get off this thread, that only makes it worse!!!
It should be law that anyone responding to such a mailing with reply to all is summarily executed. I could be persuaded that the first 3 people to respond to "reply all" can be exempted, but not for repeat offenders.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 11:02 AM   #15
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,379
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It always brightened up my day to watch apparently competent people sabotage themselves and their colleagues over and over again solely due to the absence of any desire to learn even the slightest thing about the tools they're using. That along with the odd comedy reply could make even the dullest days a little brighter.

But now, Microsoft, in their wisdom, are offering an 'ignore conversation' feature, for all those times when somebody's emailed everybody and most people are hitting 'reply all'.

My only hope is that people won't know how to use it.


https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...e/ba-p/1369811
The feature should be automatically triggered by the first email in which someone replies to all to tell somebody not to reply to all
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 12:20 PM   #16
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,632
It doesn't exactly help that in Outlook for Android, the Reply All option is the default at the bottom of the screen and you have to touch the little arrow next to it to select Reply instead. I of course wouldn't use Outlook at all if I weren't compelled to do so by my employer.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.